HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Alex Kovalev lose his "A"?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
  #26
Habs4Lyfe
Drive for 25
 
Habs4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mississauga
Country: India
Posts: 1,550
vCash: 500
correct me if im wrong, but didnt Kovy have the "A" during the game that Rivet was a healthy scratch?

Habs4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:24 AM
  #27
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Okay....If you feel like defending the guy, number down all of the reasons why the guy is leader material.

He captained the russian team because the russian team is one of the few national teams that does not have a single leader on it.

If you disagree with that, then ennumerate the reasons as to why you think Kovalev is leader material.
A gutless no heart Russian team beat the crap out of the ton of heart character canadian team, I guess leadership is overraited then eh?

How about he got the A in the playoffs when Koivu went down last season? thats a good reason we have managment that has faith in him, if they didnt think he was a good leader they could have moved him a long time ago, just like they moved Ribs for nothing.

Koivu has been just as bad or probably worse then Kovalev over this stretch except that these boards have been dominated by Kovalev hate threads, and it is getting very old.

Everyone is a Kovalev expert, if he had been as bad as everyone is claiming he would have atleast sat one game in the pressbox by now, and guess what he hasnt yet.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:48 AM
  #28
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
A gutless no heart Russian team beat the crap out of the ton of heart character canadian team, I guess leadership is overraited then eh?

How about he got the A in the playoffs when Koivu went down last season? thats a good reason we have managment that has faith in him, if they didnt think he was a good leader they could have moved him a long time ago, just like they moved Ribs for nothing.

Koivu has been just as bad or probably worse then Kovalev over this stretch except that these boards have been dominated by Kovalev hate threads, and it is getting very old.

Everyone is a Kovalev expert, if he had been as bad as everyone is claiming he would have atleast sat one game in the pressbox by now, and guess what he hasnt yet.
You still haven't given a single reason as to why Kovalev is leader material. Good job wasting your breath.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
  #29
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
You still haven't given a single reason as to why Kovalev is leader material. Good job wasting your breath.
He was a leader for team Russia. Over the past two playoffs he has lead by example by being our most dangerous player. He plays injured. He doesn't complain. He has played on the 2nd line all year and has not complained when he is arguably the best player on the team and should be playing with the best center on the team (Koivu). It seems like the team generally likes him (he was the one who threw the pie at Komo on his birthday) which shows hes probably pretty liked in the dressing room. He has won a stanley cup, which few current Habs players have done(Dandy?). He never really gives any excuses. It seems he tries to help his teammates sort our their issues (like when he praises Pleks in the media even knowing he was struggling).

Kovalev isn't god, but he does have leadership qualities and he is our most offensively gifted player. I know you really hate the guy, but this endless bashing is getting old. While it seems Kovy doesn't give 100% all the time, he shows up when it counts. There are players on the team that are playing ALOT worse than Kovy. Oh, and by saying the Russian team has NO leadership is just plain stupid and boardline discrimination IMO.


Last edited by bjac: 02-08-2007 at 12:01 PM.
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:01 PM
  #30
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Over the past two playoffs he has lead by example by being our most dangerous player.
Hmmm no, although he has had a PPG he still floats out there. He had 3 games that he had points in, the first 2 being his multi-point games, and he disapeared when Koivu went down...along with the rest of the team.

As for his first year...don't you remember his Crosby immitation on a "slash" from Travis Green against the bruins. Things didn't go to well in the locker room after that incident.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:03 PM
  #31
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
He was a leader for team Russia. Over the past two playoffs he has lead by example by being our most dangerous player. He plays injured. He doesn't complain. He has played on the 2nd line all year and has not complained when he is arguably the best player on the team and should be playing with the best center on the team (Koivu). It seems like the team generally likes him (he was the one who threw the pie at Komo on his birthday) which shows hes probably pretty liked in the dressing room. He has won a stanley cup, which few current Habs players have done(Dandy?). He never really gives any excuses. It seems he tries to help his teammates sort our their issues (like when he praises Pleks in the media even knowing he was struggling).

Kovalev isn't god, but he does have leadership qualities and he is our most offensively gifted player. I know you really hate the guy, but this endless bashing is getting old. While it seems Kovy doesn't give 100% all the time, he shows up when it counts. There are players on the team that are playing ALOT worse than Kovy.
Yet none of them get payed like Kovalev does.

As for him "showing up when it counts"...I don't remember seeing him when Koivu went down during the playoffs. He had 5 pts in his first 2 games, but a single measly point in his next 4 games (when the captain went down). That's when you expect this guy to show up...and to lead the team. That's what he was brought here for after all. That's why he's getting payed 4.5m even if he's attrocious during the season.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
  #32
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Hmmm no, although he has had a PPG he still floats out there. He had 3 games that he had points in, the first 2 being his multi-point games, and he disapeared when Koivu went down...along with the rest of the team.

As for his first year...don't you remember his Crosby immitation on a "slash" from Travis Green against the bruins. Things didn't go to well in the locker room after that incident.
He lead the league in playoff points rounds after the Habs were eliminated the one year, and the other other two years he put up a point per game average...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
  #33
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Yet none of them get payed like Kovalev does.

As for him "showing up when it counts"...I don't remember seeing him when Koivu went down during the playoffs. He had 5 pts in his first 2 games, but a single measly point in his next 4 games (when the captain went down). That's when you expect this guy to show up...and to lead the team. That's what he was brought here for after all. That's why he's getting payed 4.5m even if he's attrocious during the season.
HAHA, thats cause he kept feeding your homeboy Ribs glorious passes and Ribs constantly kepy s****** the bed. Kovalev played fine, his center was crap.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
  #34
zx81
Registered User
 
zx81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,452
vCash: 500
I thought the A on Rivet's jersey was for "awful"

zx81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:12 PM
  #35
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
HAHA, thats cause he kept feeding your homeboy Ribs glorious passes and Ribs constantly kepy s****** the bed. Kovalev played fine, his center was crap.
Who is payed 4.5m? Kovalev
Who's the veteran with all the playoff experience? Kovalev
Who's supposed to be our sniper on that line? Kovalev

Who should have rescued the team when the captain went down? Kovalev

He's the player with the most playoff experience...he's the guy getting the big bucks for his playoff performances, therefore he was supposed to take over. You can't expect a sophmore center with no scoring abilities to suddenly be scoring goals. That wasn't Ribeiro's job...

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
  #36
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Who is payed 4.5m? Kovalev
Who's the veteran with all the playoff experience? Kovalev
Who's supposed to be our sniper on that line? Kovalev

Who should have rescued the team when the captain went down? Kovalev

He's the player with the most playoff experience...he's the guy getting the big bucks for his playoff performances, therefore he was supposed to take over. You can't expect a sophmore center with no scoring abilities to suddenly be scoring goals. That wasn't Ribeiro's job...
It's a team sport buddy. Noone should be relied on to 'rescue' the entire team. Kovy pulled his own weight and more. Noone can expect more from him in the playoffs. Noone said he was a franchise player.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
  #37
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
It's a team sport buddy. Noone should be relied on to 'rescue' the entire team. Kovy pulled his own weight and more. Noone can expect more from him in the playoffs. Noone said he was a franchise player.
Hey, I'm not saying we should expect more from him, I'm just listing reasons as to why the guy has not the slightest bit of Leadership in him. God only knows how he even got the A to begin with... Especially over guys like Souray and Rivet.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:58 PM
  #38
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Hey, I'm not saying we should expect more from him, I'm just listing reasons as to why the guy has not the slightest bit of Leadership in him. God only knows how he even got the A to begin with... Especially over guys like Souray and Rivet.
Well this is where I will have to dissagree with you. While the man has some consistancy issues, I do not think he is a bad leader. From what I have seen in interviews and by his actions in big games, he is a decent leader. To claim he "has not the slightest bit of Leadership" is pretty rediculous considering he was the captain of his countries national team. I think him having the A is a good thing, especially when there are several key members on the team who speak Russian as their first language. Rivet might be a good leader to the english speakers (but Souray and Koivu are better), but I bet the Russians will follow Kovalev more willingly simply because he can actually motivate them because they understand what he is saying.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:59 PM
  #39
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Hey, I'm not saying we should expect more from him, I'm just listing reasons as to why the guy has not the slightest bit of Leadership in him. God only knows how he even got the A to begin with... Especially over guys like Souray and Rivet.

Im not going to waste much more of my breath here but the fact is that if Kovalev like you enjoy to proclaim has no heart or leadership qualities or any sense of accountability for his actions he would have been put in the pressbox a long time ago, and guess what buddy again he hasnt been there yet.

Your grasping straws here hes a world class player that everyone loves to hate. Our whole team has been playing like crap and I will say it again Koivu has been less impressive then Kovalev for the last month or so.

Yet people continue to jump on the "hate Kovalev" bandwaggon and its getting really old, Montreal as a whole is playing uninspired hockey not just one or two players. Its just a broken record of crap on these boards, we are going to get out of this slump as a team quit pinning it on one player.

Its obvious your bias has been against Kovalev since the team sigined him instead of whoever else you wanted, and its really showing on this thread. Bjac said it best Kovalev is pulling his weight and then some on a team thats struggling, give him a break for once.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:17 PM
  #40
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Im not going to waste much more of my breath here but the fact is that if Kovalev like you enjoy to proclaim has no heart or leadership qualities or any sense of accountability for his actions he would have been put in the pressbox a long time ago, and guess what buddy again he hasnt been there yet.
We're a team that can't afford to do that. Kovalev's scoring might be sparce, but it's still among the top 5 in the team. He does have a game breaking ability that does come through from time to time (1 game out of 20?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted
Your grasping straws here hes a world class player that everyone loves to hate. Our whole team has been playing like crap and I will say it again Koivu has been less impressive then Kovalev for the last month or so.
Kovalev hasn't been a world class player since the mid 90s and never will he return to that status. Again, I haven't said that Kovalev is playing badly compared to the rest of the team...but 38 pts in 55 games, is less than satisfactory for a player of his talent/capabilities. I'm sure Gainey expects no less than 65 pts from this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted
Yet people continue to jump on the "hate Kovalev" bandwaggon and its getting really old, Montreal as a whole is playing uninspired hockey not just one or two players. Its just a broken record of crap on these boards, we are going to get out of this slump as a team quit pinning it on one player.
If he did anything to get us to love him, he'd help his cause. People are just finally getting tired of seeing the same old **** from this guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted
Its obvious your bias has been against Kovalev since the team sigined him instead of whoever else you wanted, and its really showing on this thread. Bjac said it best Kovalev is pulling his weight and then some on a team thats struggling, give him a break for once.
You can bring it up on the main boards if you please. 99% of people who have watched a single game of hockey can tell you that Kovalev does not have any leadership qualities, which is what I've been eluding to during this entire thread.

I'm also 100% sure that the majority of the boards will also tell you that they would not like to have Kovalev on their team, especially not with his current salary.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:21 PM
  #41
JMMR
Registered User
 
JMMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,351
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
correct me if im wrong, but didnt Kovy have the "A" during the game that Rivet was a healthy scratch?
Yep and the afternoon game Koivu was injured.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:37 PM
  #42
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Shabutie;7971124] You can bring it up on the main boards if you please. 99% of people who have watched a single game of hockey can tell you that Kovalev does not have any leadership qualities, which is what I've been eluding to during this entire thread. [QUOTE]

lol, well I guess Bob Gainey is in the 1% since he gave Kovalev the A last year... I guess Gainey has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. For that matter, Russian hockey has no idea what they are doing either giving Kovalev leadership on their team too. Its quite obvious that you know more about hockey than them too. Oh, and I didnt really know that seats were available in the locker room to gauge Kovalevs lack of leadership. How much do these seats cost, and where can I get them?

You've hated Kovy for a while, especially since Ribs got traded. Don't be bitter, Kovalev had nothing to do with Ribs failure in Montreal. Its getting really old.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:46 PM
  #43
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post

lol, well I guess Bob Gainey is in the 1% since he gave Kovalev the A last year... I guess Gainey has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. For that matter, Russian hockey has no idea what they are doing either giving Kovalev leadership on their team too. Its quite obvious that you know more about hockey than them too. Oh, and I didnt really know that seats were available in the locker room to gauge Kovalevs lack of leadership. How much do these seats cost, and where can I get them?
For the last ****ing time...Kovalev has the C for russia because there is no one on the team with any leadership skills what so ever. His experience and reputation is what got him the C, and it's probably the reason that Gainey gave him the A. Carbo didn't stand for that **** and he gave it to real leaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac
You've hated Kovy for a while, especially since Ribs got traded. Don't be bitter, Kovalev had nothing to do with Ribs failure in Montreal. Its getting really old.
Here we go, a false accusation. I used to hate Kovalev more than I do now, but I learned to expect less from this guy.

The reason I continually nag on the guy is cuz you fanboys think he's the greatest...The best player on the team...and worst of all, now you're telling me he's leadership material YET you haven't backed it up with a single characteristic, and instead you think that because he's the C on a team without anything even remotely similar to a real leader, and because Gainey gave him the A, only to have it stripped from him and given to a real leader...he's leadership material.

Number down all of Kovalev's great characteristics for me if you will, cuz you haven't given me a single reason as to why Kovalev should be an A.

If anyone would ever give me a concrete reason to respect Kovalev, I'd shut my yap.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
  #44
bjac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
For the last ****ing time...Kovalev has the C for russia because there is no one on the team with any leadership skills what so ever. His experience and reputation is what got him the C, and it's probably the reason that Gainey gave him the A. Carbo didn't stand for that **** and he gave it to real leaders.

Here we go, a false accusation. I used to hate Kovalev more than I do now, but I learned to expect less from this guy.

The reason I continually nag on the guy is cuz you fanboys think he's the greatest...The best player on the team...and worst of all, now you're telling me he's leadership material YET you haven't backed it up with a single characteristic, and instead you think that because he's the C on a team without anything even remotely similar to a real leader, and because Gainey gave him the A, only to have it stripped from him and given to a real leader...he's leadership material.

Number down all of Kovalev's great characteristics for me if you will, cuz you haven't given me a single reason as to why Kovalev should be an A.

If anyone would ever give me a concrete reason to respect Kovalev, I'd shut my yap.

I backed it up. Read my posts before. You replied to it, so I can't see how you missed it. Saying that the Team Russia has no leadership is just plain idiotic. Sounds a be discriminant to me. I am not a Kovalev fanboy, I just am defending him because he takes heat from tonnes of posters when other players who are playing worse get praised. Kovy plays better than most players on the team and adds something to the team that noone else can. He gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the Canadiens, yet for the majority of the time, it isnt his fault. The only reason why people complain about him is his contract. Whos fault was it to offer him that much money? Blame Bob Gainey, and Kovalevs agent for that. He is slightly overpayed, so what? Every team has overpayed players.

Then people come out and make claims that he doesnt have "any leadership at all", even knowing he is the Captain for his national team (which is a VERY good hockey team). This is the same national team that enjoys moderate success in the international tournaments. You can't do as well as Russia does without leadership. I am not saying that Kovalev should be captain, or even saying that he HAS to be an alternate. All I am saying that when they occasionally do give him the A, that he diserves it and generally leads by example when he wears it. He doesn't possess huge amounts of leadership, but to say he has absolutely none is completely wrong.

This is the last I am going to post on this, because I have made my "concrete" points whether you see them or not. It is obvious that some people won't change their opinions on the topic no matter what. There are so many posters here that are blinded by their bias against Kovalev.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:30 PM
  #45
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I backed it up. Read my posts before. You replied to it, so I can't see how you missed it. Saying that the Team Russia has no leadership is just plain idiotic. Sounds a be discriminant to me. I am not a Kovalev fanboy, I just am defending him because he takes heat from tonnes of posters when other players who are playing worse get praised. Kovy plays better than most players on the team and adds something to the team that noone else can. He gets blamed for everything that goes wrong on the Canadiens, yet for the majority of the time, it isnt his fault. The only reason why people complain about him is his contract. Whos fault was it to offer him that much money? Blame Bob Gainey, and Kovalevs agent for that. He is slightly overpayed, so what? Every team has overpayed players.
I never said it was Kovalev's fault that he was overpayed, but his current stats leave to be desired.

As for the Russian team not having any leaders, I'm sure even Russians themselves would agree with that. The only russian in the league with even half a personality is Alexander Ovechkin. He obviously doesn't have the experience nor maturity to be a leader though. Kovalev is really the only choice to make for the russian squad.

Also, I don't see how that has anything to do with him deserving an A on our team. I've asked you to number the characteristics that would make Kovalev a leader type, but you fail to do so. He just doesn't have any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac
Then people come out and make claims that he doesnt have "any leadership at all", even knowing he is the Captain for his national team (which is a VERY good hockey team). This is the same national team that enjoys moderate success in the international tournaments. You can't do as well as Russia does without leadership.
Again...Russia doesn't have any leader type players, you can ask any Russian fans about this. Success has very little to do with leadership, just look at how Canada did in the tournament even when having Sakic and Shanahan, two of the better leaders in the NHL at this current time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac
I am not saying that Kovalev should be captain, or even saying that he HAS to be an alternate. All I am saying that when they occasionally do give him the A, that he diserves it and generally leads by example when he wears it. He doesn't possess huge amounts of leadership, but to say he has absolutely none is completely wrong.
Carbo has not given him the A, other than when there was no one else more suitable for the role (when Rivet was benched). We don't have many leader type players on this team.

Rivet is a vocal type leader, who wears his heart on his sleeve
Souray is the same
Koivu leads by example (though he hasn't done so well in the past month +)

Plekanec is someone who might deserve an A in the future, so are Higgins and Komisarek; however at this current time, they don't have the experience to earn the honor.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:43 PM
  #46
Evil Ted
Registered User
 
Evil Ted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post

You can bring it up on the main boards if you please. 99% of people who have watched a single game of hockey can tell you that Kovalev does not have any leadership qualities, which is what I've been eluding to during this entire thread.

I'm also 100% sure that the majority of the boards will also tell you that they would not like to have Kovalev on their team, especially not with his current salary.
99% of people who watch hockey games are not in the changeroooms or on the bench or even on the ice to see and hear what actually goes on, we sit in the stands or at home and watch, not participate. Leadership goes far beyond what we watch on tv. You talk like your behind the bench every night and in the changeroom between periods or at practice between games. You don't travel to Russia and interview fans about how there players lack leadership either.

Probably close to 100% of the people who post on the boards are the same we are fans not involved in behind the scenes.

Having said that if Kovalev was half the problem you are making him out to be he would of either been traded (someone would take him at his salary) already or put in the pressbox to think about his selfish attitude, again he has not been diciplined in the slightest.

Instead of quoting other peoples posts you should just take time to read them and attempt to understand. Again my final point will be Kovalev has not been singled out by the coaching staff, hes still getting his icetime therefore he is playing realatively well compared to the rest of the roster, until Carbo calls him out we as fans should not single him out.

and like bjac im done with this urinating contest here, its like talking to a brick wall.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:53 PM
  #47
Alexei Yashvalev
Registered User
 
Alexei Yashvalev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
I never said it was Kovalev's fault that he was overpayed, but his current stats leave to be desired.

As for the Russian team not having any leaders, I'm sure even Russians themselves would agree with that. The only russian in the league with even half a personality is Alexander Ovechkin. He obviously doesn't have the experience nor maturity to be a leader though. Kovalev is really the only choice to make for the russian squad.

Also, I don't see how that has anything to do with him deserving an A on our team. I've asked you to number the characteristics that would make Kovalev a leader type, but you fail to do so. He just doesn't have any.

Again...Russia doesn't have any leader type players, you can ask any Russian fans about this. Success has very little to do with leadership, just look at how Canada did in the tournament even when having Sakic and Shanahan, two of the better leaders in the NHL at this current time.

Carbo has not given him the A, other than when there was no one else more suitable for the role (when Rivet was benched). We don't have many leader type players on this team.

Rivet is a vocal type leader, who wears his heart on his sleeve
Souray is the same
Koivu leads by example (though he hasn't done so well in the past month +)

Plekanec is someone who might deserve an A in the future, so are Higgins and Komisarek; however at this current time, they don't have the experience to earn the honor.
We're obviously just wasting our breath, you're never going to respect Kovalev. It's good to see all the Russian fans you've brought in to verify this .

Ask Ovechkin what he thinks of Kovalev, have you seen Ovechkin's interviews about Kovalev? Young Russian players have a ton of respect for this guy, he's a leader to them.

If playing injured, leading by example in the playoffs and in international tournaments, never complaining, taking young Russians under his wing isn't leadership I don't know what is. Kovalev is a great leader for our Russian players. You can't say anything about his personality or being vocal, there's no stands in the Habs dressing room. The slash in 2004? Kovalev came back with 3 points the next game and the Habs won the series largely due to him.


Last edited by Alexei Yashvalev: 02-08-2007 at 05:01 PM.
Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:41 PM
  #48
Shabutie
Registered User
 
Shabutie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Portugal
Posts: 15,640
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
We're obviously just wasting our breath, you're never going to respect Kovalev. It's good to see all the Russian fans you've brought in to verify this .

Ask Ovechkin what he thinks of Kovalev, have you seen Ovechkin's interviews about Kovalev? Young Russian players have a ton of respect for this guy, he's a leader to them.

If playing injured, leading by example in the playoffs and in international tournaments, never complaining, taking young Russians under his wing isn't leadership I don't know what is. Kovalev is a great leader for our Russian players. You can't say anything about his personality or being vocal, there's no stands in the Habs dressing room. The slash in 2004? Kovalev came back with 3 points the next game and the Habs won the series largely due to him.
THAT IS WHY HE IS THE CAPTAIN OF THEIR TEAM. That's what I've been ****ing saying all along. He has a reputation in russia, they have respect for him, he has a ton of experience, that's why he's the captain.

He is not a leader though and that is why Carbo will never give him an A over people like Koivu Rivet and Souray.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 06:04 PM
  #49
Habitants
Registered User
 
Habitants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,168
vCash: 500
i dont know if he lost his A, but he better bring his A GAME fast!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
  #50
habsfan81
Registered User
 
habsfan81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
He's wearing the A tonight

habsfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.