HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2014, 11:52 PM
Burnt Biscuits

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
You mean, trying out players is mismanagement? I always considered mismanagement to be not getting rid of players that cant play their position.
Spending assets to acquire players who more than likely don't fit into your teams long term plans when you are a rebuilding is usually not a good thing, you rarely are able to acquire someone and then turn around and flip them for better or equal value quickly, I really can't think of any recent examples of this. If we want to trade for Luke Schenn I'd prefer to do it at the draft not mid-season.

Let's just say for arguments sake, we trade for Luke Schenn right at the trade deadline, we end up 2nd overall at the draft, with Buffalo drafting the center they want, we step up to podium and take Ekblad. Training camp roles around Ekblad shows that he is very mature and looks to be twice the player that Luke Schenn is, do we send him down or do we do the right thing and play him. At that point Schenn is the 4th man in the pecking order of our right handed D-men hes eating popcorn in the players box, when we finally do get around to trading him, do you think we will get back equivalent value to what we paid for him?

It's not as bad as I originally thought it would be cause I thought Fedun was waiver eligible next year and he's not and I thought Fraser and L. Schenn played the same side, which they don't. So Fraser could end up in N. Schultz's spot to end the season if we trade him. That said I don't believe in Luke Schenn as a player, you can let the draft number tempt you into thinking he is a great reclamation project, but I'm not biting. He's better than Cam Barker, but we got enough projects and young players on D, we don't need to go out of our way and try to acquire more of them.

Old
02-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I think the oilers want simmonds...and simmonds is available.
Do you have a source for this? Flyers most likely won't move Simmonds. He is a premier young power forward in this league, they have tremendous value.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:59 AM
FlyerFire

Flyers need defense. In this deal we would be giving up a 2nd pairing young defender and our best defensive centerman, for a pick and a forward the Oil is trying to trade

Old
02-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

I know it's Garroich but:

‏@SunGarrioch
GARRIOCH: Murray ready to deal if price is right

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/02/09/...5cf07243067799

Old
02-09-2014, 07:30 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Devils board going overboard for no reason..... Marty's son tweeted (Which is interesting seeing it happened 2 days after Marty met with Lou)

William Brodeur ☝ ‏@Freewill_b 21h
New favorite team #gooilers #oilcountry #betterthanthedevils

Soo yea.... If anyone comes over here asking about it, its probably nothing but interesting nonetheless

Old
02-09-2014, 07:36 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Devils board going overboard for no reason..... Marty's son tweeted (Which is interesting seeing it happened 2 days after Marty met with Lou)

Soo yea.... If anyone comes over here asking about it, its probably nothing but interesting nonetheless
This forum is always going overboard, they will fit in just fine.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:44 PM
40oz

Quote:

Ha, thanks for sharing. But it really makes no sense for Marty or the Oilers.
Unless we're all just reading into a tweet a bit too much (which would never happen _William Brodeur) and little Willie just wants to jump on the Oilers bandwagon before it starts moving.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:46 PM
Lindo

Quote:

I can't imagine a move that makes less sense than this.

Old
02-09-2014, 07:53 PM
Joey Moss

Why would Brodeur come here? Makes no sense for him and even less sense for us. Scrivens and Bryz are playing great and we aren't in a position to acquire rentals anyways.

Old
02-09-2014, 08:07 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:

Brodeur coming to Edmonton? Why on Earth would he want to come here?

Old
02-09-2014, 08:31 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Ha, thanks for sharing. But it really makes no sense for Marty or the Oilers.
Unless we're all just reading into a tweet a bit too much (which would never happen _William Brodeur) and little Willie just wants to jump on the Oilers bandwagon before it starts moving.
Maybe Marty just wants to retire with a winner...winner of the lottery

Hell of a lot easier doing that on the Oilers than "trying" to make the playoffs on Devils and then grinding the playoffs if they make it

Old
02-09-2014, 08:45 PM
manningite

Sorry to bother everyone I think I'm lost, I'm looking for the rumors thread?

Old
02-09-2014, 09:29 PM
shogun99

Quote:

What this means is that Edmonton has a deal in place to acquire Schneider so Brodeur Jr is pumped that daddy gets to be a starter again.

Old
02-09-2014, 11:02 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

So... (correct number of dots eh) being a rumor thread and rumor is Gagner for Clifford, very lopsided deal I say no way I like it.
#sandgagnerforclifford

Old
02-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Bryanbryoil
The Oilers Best

Hopefully moving all of the crap to another thread and adding a thread ban or two will keep this thread on course.

02-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Hopefully moving all of the crap to another thread and adding a thread ban or two will keep this thread on course.

Old
02-10-2014, 12:57 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Gagner for Clifford plus a pick or a prospect is acceptable, IMO.

We have to start making unsexy trades for the right quality glue players.

I think that means losing on value a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
I know it's Garroich but:

‏@SunGarrioch
GARRIOCH: Murray ready to deal if price is right

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/02/09/...5cf07243067799
When he's talking about the Sens, he's solid.

Old
02-10-2014, 01:04 PM
dnicks17

A prospect I forgot about in LA's system that I think the Oilers could be interested in is Nic Deslauriers.

He was drafted out of the QMJHL as a grittier Jack Johnson. He had the same problem of not really being able to play defense though, so they moved him to LW at the beginning of this year.

He's a great skating, 6'1'' 230lbs LWer who loves to shoot the puck, play physical and drop the mitts on occasion now.

If the Oilers are able to get a prospect like Deslauriers or Prokhorkin along with Clifford, I think it'd be a really good deal.

Old
02-10-2014, 01:10 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Thank you.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:13 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
A prospect I forgot about in LA's system that I think the Oilers could be interested in is Nic Deslauriers.

He was drafted out of the QMJHL as a grittier Jack Johnson. He had the same problem of not really being able to play defense though, so they moved him to LW at the beginning of this year.

He's a great skating, 6'1'' 230lbs LWer who loves to shoot the puck, play physical and drop the mitts on occasion now.

If the Oilers are able to get a prospect like Deslauriers or Prokhorkin along with Clifford, I think it'd be a really good deal.
I can't agree with you. This team needs to go Gagner + for something better rather than give up Gagner for Clifford +.

We won't ever get better trading for pieces that are worse/developing.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post

IF we are getting a prospect, how is Nick Shore? We're pretty low on quality C's and he's in the AHL already. IIRC, he wasn't apart of the 'not trading' list.

02-10-2014, 02:22 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Brodeur coming to Edmonton? Why on Earth would he want to come here?
Would be pretty bizarre. The only thing I can think of is if the Oilers are sending Bryz to NJ for an asset, but NJ needs to send salary the other way or something?

Gagner + Bryz + EDM 2nd 2015 for Adam Larsson + Brodeur (salary dump)?

Still I can't see it, dude's been in Jersey all his career, for NJ to dump him at this stage with maybe 20 games left in his career to save a few bucks would be ice cold.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:28 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
IF we are getting a prospect, how is Nick Shore? We're pretty low on quality C's and he's in the AHL already. IIRC, he wasn't apart of the 'not trading' list.
I think he's just like his brothers, although a bit smaller.

Basically a jack of all trades 2nd/3rd line C.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Debonair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Would be pretty bizarre. The only thing I can think of is if the Oilers are sending Bryz to NJ for an asset, but NJ needs to send salary the other way or something?

Gagner + Bryz + EDM 2nd 2015 for Adam Larsson + Brodeur (salary dump)?

Still I can't see it, dude's been in Jersey all his career, for NJ to dump him at this stage with maybe 20 games left in his career to save a few bucks would be ice cold.
Edmonton would then flip Brodeur to be a backup for a contender. So why wouldn't NJ just do that themselves?

Old
02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debonair View Post
Edmonton would then flip Brodeur to be a backup for a contender. So why wouldn't NJ just do that themselves?
maybe pittsburgh wants him to back up fleury and the devils wont deal him?

Closed Thread