HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"Cold War" | 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi | February 7-23 | Medal Count in Post #1

Old
02-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

vCash: 500

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Toydarian

And the Netherlands sweeps the men's 500m speed skating. Wow.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
And the Netherlands sweeps the men's 500m speed skating. Wow.
Yeah that was a replay of yesterday, very impressive. They are absolutely dominating speed skating this year -- like another poster mentioned all 7 of their medals so far have come in speed skating.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Yeah that was a replay of yesterday, very impressive. They are absolutely dominating speed skating this year -- like another poster mentioned all 7 of their medals so far have come in speed skating.
Oh, I didn't realize that was a replay. I thought it was a third sweep in a different distance.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:07 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Phew, I thought they got 3 more medals, and would have passed us.

tv14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Impressive by Bilodeau. Him and Hamelin were absolutely clutch today.

Also, Kingsbury dates Dufur-Lapointe? Who are they trying to be, Hamelin and St. Gelais?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Looks good on us:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-02-10 at 12.15.10 PM.png‎ (74.3 KB, 42 views)

Old
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
That looks great, hopefully we'll see more.

Anyone else think Kingsbury looks a little like Anton Lander?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:31 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
We're number 1 either way right now.

Using medal count
7 medals is the most of any nation (save Netherlands, who has 7 as well and Norway)
Canada wins "tiebreaker" with more G than Norway, more S than Netherlands.

Using Gold count
3 golds are the most of any nation (Save netherlands, who has 3 because Speed Skating)
Canada wins "tiebreaker" with more S than Netherlands.

Damn.

Although tomorrow proves to be likely a slower day for Canada, threats in Luge (Gough in 5th, McRae in 6th) and Ski Slopestyle (Howell ranked #2 in the world), not to mention an outside shot at halfpipe and the ladies' 500 mean we could be leaders for another couple of days. Unlikely, because speed skating and the Netherlands, but eh. We have pairs skating coming up, and that should be some sort of medal.
I always went by 3 for gold 2 for silver 1 for bronze

DeathbyCheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:42 PM
Dabomb

Thrilled with Canada's start to these Olympics so far.

Montreal sure produces alot of great athletes.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Sweet…

Spotted! The beer fridge in Canada Olympic House in #Sochi

Old
02-10-2014, 03:06 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That looks great, hopefully we'll see more.

Anyone else think Kingsbury looks a little like Anton Lander?
I think he looks like Jonathan Drouin and Eric Gelinas' middle brother.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 03:09 PM
Toydarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I think he looks like Jonathan Drouin and Eric Gelinas' middle brother.
I can definitely see the similarities to Drouin.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

So I'll just say it now, since you're all thinking it. But hot damn are our women athletes hot.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 03:16 PM
tv14

Canada seems to be developing nicely into a top contending country for the Winter Olympics. Unfortunately it seems that the traditional skiing events (all the cross-country events, ski jump, downhill, super g, etc) are the only things holding us back from becoming a powerhouse.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Canada seems to be developing nicely into a top contending country for the Winter Olympics. Unfortunately it seems that the traditional skiing events (all the cross-country events, ski jump, downhill, super g, etc) are the only things holding us back from becoming a powerhouse.
This is pretty much a great generation with our most dominant Winter Olympic athletes in the prime of their careers (Hamelin, Bilodeau, Moir/Virtue, etc.). The challenge of Own the Podium is whether or not it can continue to produce elite athletes after the current crop retires.

(Also to see if they can make a breakthrough in the Summer Games, but that's a loftier goal which I don't expect to see happen unless half of the elite athletes in this country decide not to go into hockey)

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
We're number 1 either way right now.

Using medal count
7 medals is the most of any nation (save Netherlands, who has 7 as well and Norway)
Canada wins "tiebreaker" with more G than Norway, more S than Netherlands.

Using Gold count
3 golds are the most of any nation (Save netherlands, who has 3 because Speed Skating)
Canada wins "tiebreaker" with more S than Netherlands.

Damn.

Although tomorrow proves to be likely a slower day for Canada, threats in Luge (Gough in 5th, McRae in 6th) and Ski Slopestyle (Howell ranked #2 in the world), not to mention an outside shot at halfpipe and the ladies' 500 mean we could be leaders for another couple of days. Unlikely, because speed skating and the Netherlands, but eh. We have pairs skating coming up, and that should be some sort of medal.
Kaya Turski's the favorite in slopestyle. She's been dominant and won the X-Games 4 of the last 5 years. The only question mark is that's she's coming off knee surgery but if she's in top form she'll be tough to beat. So chance for a double medal performance again there with Howell.

Alex Harvey is a contender in cross-country tomorrow as well.

They're probably the best shots at a medal with Gough probably needing a few things to break her way to move up.

Doomsday Device is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
Our success fairly depends on relatively new events continuing to be added to the games. Going through the years Canada tends to have a whole lot of success at new, or relatively new disciplines and events.

When other nations start sniffing around those disciplines more the going gets particularly tougher.

Lets be clear here too. Hockey and the Men's Downhill are the glory events. Win either and those get remembered forever.

For any winter country the Men's downhill, and particularly in Europe is just a huge event and few others match the support. Win the Mens Olympic downhill and you're a legendary figure forever.

I think the term powerhouse is a bit misleading until we compete better in some of the primary, heavily contested events.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:06 PM
molsonmuscle360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Our success fairly depends on relatively new events continuing to be added to the games. Going through the years Canada tends to have a whole lot of success at new, or relatively new disciplines and events.

When other nations start sniffing around those disciplines more the going gets particularly tougher.

Lets be clear here too. Hockey and the Men's Downhill are the glory events. Win either and those get remembered forever.

For any winter country the Men's downhill, and particularly in Europe is just a huge event and few others match the support. Win the Mens Olympic downhill and you're a legendary figure forever.

I think the term powerhouse is a bit misleading until we compete better in some of the primary, heavily contested events.
It actually has a lot more to what sports are traditionally popular in those countries. 90% of Canada's best skaters play hockey, wheras in the Netherlands they speed skate. And my whole life on the ski hill in Canada it's always been more about the Snowboarders competition wise then the Skiers even though it wasn't until the last decade that snowboarding is taking a chunk out of the world ski market.

Not to mention, even though we have a massive amount of ski hills in our country, the actual number of them that really try and push any kind of competitive team is very slim. And that's probably the most accessible of the Winter Olympic sports in Canada. Good luck to a kid that doesn't live near Calgary or Montreal who has some sort of ambition to be a speed skater or a ski jumper.

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:33 PM
doulos

Canada kicked the crap out of the Winter Olympic in Vancouver and is already doing it again. They already are a powerhouse - not almost there.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:43 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

This is exactly what I said.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Listening to Mark Lee commentate anything exciting during these womens hockey games reminds me of a much louder version of this

It's so frustrating every five minutes I turn to my TV thinking someone is being beaten to death because Mark Lee is going absolutely insane about a half-decent scoring chance.

Yeah15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:11 PM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah15 View Post
Listening to Mark Lee commentate anything exciting during these womens hockey games reminds me of a much louder version of this

It's so frustrating every five minutes I turn to my TV thinking someone is being beaten to death because Mark Lee is going absolutely insane about a half-decent scoring chance.
Anyone know who's calling the mens games and women's games against the USA? With Miller, Cuthbert, and Hughson all with CBC and TSN, you'd imagine they would take one of those.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

12 sets of medals for Cross-Country, 11 sets for Biathlon (Cross-Country with some rifle shooting), 3 sets for Nordic Combined (Cross country and ski jumping). That's 26 events of the Olympics' total of 98, or a little over a quarter.

Anyone else cross-country is over represented as a sport? To add to that, I find Biathlon gimmicky, at least when you consider how many medals it offers (The rifle shooting aspect). And yes, I am aware of its history.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 09:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
12 sets of medals for Cross-Country, 11 sets for Biathlon (Cross-Country with some rifle shooting), 3 sets for Nordic Combined (Cross country and ski jumping). That's 26 events of the Olympics' total of 98, or a little over a quarter.

Anyone else cross-country is over represented as a sport? To add to that, I find Biathlon gimmicky, at least when you consider how many medals it offers (The rifle shooting aspect). And yes, I am aware of its history.
Yep. Cross country is like the track and field of the Winter Olympics. Medals and events by the dozens.

Like I've said before the one men's downhill race means more, is more memorable, higher profile etc, then all the cross country put together.

But downhill doesn't have 25 different lengths of hill events, doesn't have stops to shoot turkeys, cook meatballs, etc.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote