HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

CCM RBZ Skates - Long Term Review

Old
01-11-2014, 04:47 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
No idea, haven't seen the RBZ youth skates. Why don't you have him try it on? I've had mixed results when going into junior RBZ line skates. Some kids had to change from conventional sizing, others followed conventional sizing.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2014, 07:11 PM
beedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Surprisingly enough, I was an 8.5 in my Grafs and an 8.5 in my RBZ's. Thought it was going to be much different.
My current Graf Ultra G5's are 7.5 and when I tried on the RBZ80 the 6.5 fit perfectly. According to that CCM foot chart that measures your foot and arch, I was a 6.5 with a "low" arch. I also tried it on with the aftermarket footbed by CCM (low arch version) and the fit felt even better. After two years of never finding the sweet spot with my Graf's, I think I may pull the trigger on some RBZ80's very soon.

beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 10:54 AM
ccarrigan

A big thanks to AIREYE for this in depth review. I went to our local store this week and tried on what I could. I have a wide foot and have used this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSD7KnoxgU) that shows I should be in a EE width skate. Here's what I found since they didn't have any wide skates.

Supreme: Not wide enough in the toe box, kind of uncomfortable but great heel lock.
RBZ: Wider in the midfoot / toebox, even in D width, but the heel lock was bad.

Should the RBZ get better in the heel area after a good baking? Also, even though it felt "ok" up front should I have them order a EE to try on? I'm not sure my foot sat 100% flat in either skate.

(i can't find anyone that has the ccm foot measure pad thing sadly)

Thanks all!

ccarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2014, 05:15 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarrigan View Post
A big thanks to AIREYE for this in depth review. I went to our local store this week and tried on what I could. I have a wide foot and have used this tutorial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTSD7KnoxgU) that shows I should be in a EE width skate. Here's what I found since they didn't have any wide skates.

Supreme: Not wide enough in the toe box, kind of uncomfortable but great heel lock.

Should the RBZ get better in the heel area after a good baking? Also, even though it felt "ok" up front should I have them order a EE to try on? I'm not sure my foot sat 100% flat in either skate.

Thanks all!
That width chart is garbage. Read the skate guide and you'll figure out why...

Did you try Supreme in EE?

Old
01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
ccarrigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That width chart is garbage. Read the skate guide and you'll figure out why...

Did you try Supreme in EE?
I only used that method to see if I should look at wider skates, which I'm pretty sure is the case. The problem is that nobody carries EE width in any skates, so I can't try any on. The RBZs did feel pretty comfortable though, I just wish they had a wide so I could see the difference. I also have skinny ankles and I'm wondering if a wide skate affects lateral ankle motion?

Maybe I just need to order some online from a place with a good return policy?

ccarrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 08:38 AM
SillyMe

Quote:
There's a big volume dip once you jump from 6.0 to 5.5, so be careful.
I think I'm running into that problem myself.
Used the CCM Board, right foot was a 5.5, left was a lil smaller- medium arch.

I tried on Vapors in a size 6, ankle felt horrible, so the guy came out with a 5.5(Junior) RBZ70, and the ankle fit was miles better(and can just brush the toe box end)....BUT, right where the toe box meets the skate, there is some stitching on the right side that I can feel with the outside of my right foot(just below/under my little toe-can't feel it at all on my left skate).
My feet are not wide at all.
I also have to tie them relatively loose until I get near the ankle, as they feel like they squeeze my foot a bit too much if I don't.
After skating for awhile I don't really notice the tightness/right edge thing, but it's there.....I have had the skates for 3 weeks today, and skated on them around 6 times.
I'm seriously considering bringing these back while I'm in my 30 return period at Pure Hockey, and trying on some Supremes or something else(maybe even a 6 in these skates- which will cost me $50- going to a Senior skate- and I can just brush the toe cap with the 5.5).
They baked nicely, they wrapped right around my heel, and have zero issues with that part of the skate.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 01:06 PM
SillyMe

As an update to my previous post regarding the RBZ5.5-6- I went back to PH and tried on the Rbz70 senior in size 6, and the volume of the boot is immense in comparison to the 5.5 Jr. Skate, so much so, that they were an immediate no go.
The previous poster that mentioned the difference in the 2 was bang on.

Ended up trying on everything, and ended up with the Easton RS, which unfortunately cost twice as much as the Jr. Rbz70.

Old
01-26-2014, 04:20 PM
boo10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
As an update to my previous post regarding the RBZ5.5-6- I went back to PH and tried on the Rbz70 senior in size 6, and the volume of the boot is immense in comparison to the 5.5 Jr. Skate, so much so, that they were an immediate no go.
The previous poster that mentioned the difference in the 2 was bang on.

Ended up trying on everything, and ended up with the Easton RS, which unfortunately cost twice as much as the Jr. Rbz70.
The RBZ70 actually goes up to size 7 in the junior sizes. Why did you jump to the senior sizes without trying on the larger junior size?

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Exarz

vCash: 50
I read somewhere those skates are not fitted for more heavy persons on ice. Didn't make me buy those!

Exarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2014, 05:11 PM
AIREAYE

Nonsense.

Old
01-26-2014, 05:20 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
The RBZ70 actually goes up to size 7 in the junior sizes. Why did you jump to the senior sizes without trying on the larger junior size?
1st I've heard of that, PH doesn't sell them AFAIK(where I originally bought/was returning the 5.5D), I even asked to try on EE, and they don't sell them.
They also don't list them on their website.

Just looked that up at 2 other stores, and sure enough they DO sell them up to size 7, in D and EE widths.
I never knew that any manu. went past 5.5 in Jrs.

Thanks for the info, if the RS become a hassle in the next 30, I will try on the 5.5 EE/6D Jr. at another store, and have them order them for me.
I actually liked the RBZ70 other than my outer toe issue, we'll see if I like the RS as well.

Thanks Again

Old
01-27-2014, 05:29 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
1st I've heard of that, PH doesn't sell them AFAIK(where I originally bought/was returning the 5.5D), I even asked to try on EE, and they don't sell them.
They also don't list them on their website.

Just looked that up at 2 other stores, and sure enough they DO sell them up to size 7, in D and EE widths.
I never knew that any manu. went past 5.5 in Jrs.

Thanks for the info, if the RS become a hassle in the next 30, I will try on the 5.5 EE/6D Jr. at another store, and have them order them for me.
I actually liked the RBZ70 other than my outer toe issue, we'll see if I like the RS as well.

Thanks Again
I'm not sure what the cost of the Easton skates are, but if you jump up to the RBZ 90's you will get a lot more out of baking them then you will with the 70's or 80's and that might take care of your fore foot issue, I'm not sure what your budget is though

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 07:28 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddance628 View Post
I'm not sure what the cost of the Easton skates are, but if you jump up to the RBZ 90's you will get a lot more out of baking them then you will with the 70's or 80's and that might take care of your fore foot issue, I'm not sure what your budget is though

I think they are clearing out the RS stock, as they are $399 right now.
Tried the RS out today, and really like them.

Thanks for the info.

Old
01-31-2014, 03:39 PM
soireeculturelle

picked up a pair of RBZ90s today.

FWIW:
I wear 11.5-12 street shoes. 9EE in skates (including CCM U+08s which I currently have).

I ended up buying the RBZs in 7.5 EE. My toes were touching the end of the toebox just a tiny bit with my heel pushed all the way back in the boot, which is how I like my skates to fit.

soireeculturelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 06:57 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

My RBZ90s just arrived today (remotely fitted) now all I have to do bake them.

Aireaye - I assume the instructions in the Op are still the instructions? Also what key areas did you use your hands to mold the fit, just ankle?

West Coast Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 10:48 AM
AIREAYE

You're baking them in your home oven?

Old
02-10-2014, 11:14 AM
powerstuck
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarrigan View Post

Thanks all!
I've got a pair of RBZ75s and even tho i absolutely had to have EE with Vapors, the 7D were a perfect match for me.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

No, in a proper skate oven. However, nobody in Australia stocks CCM products so they won't know anything about them (the store doesn't know much about hockey gear full stop really).

Old
02-10-2014, 04:04 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisbane sens fan View Post
No, in a proper skate oven. However, nobody in Australia stocks CCM products so they won't know anything about them (the store doesn't know much about hockey gear full stop really).
OK, yeah I mean you don't need to follow those instructions to the letter, but close enough is good enough. Don't put any weight on your feet when they're molding.

Best if you have someone help form them around your feet. I like to focus on the forefoot to make sure the boot is nicely wrapped around, like (__), as well as the ankles and squeeze the heel in. Sit with feet slightly behind knees to form a deeper heel pocket.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:03 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
OK, yeah I mean you don't need to follow those instructions to the letter, but close enough is good enough. Don't put any weight on your feet when they're molding.

Best if you have someone help form them around your feet. I like to focus on the forefoot to make sure the boot is nicely wrapped around, like (__), as well as the ankles and squeeze the heel in. Sit with feet slightly behind knees to form a deeper heel pocket.
Honestly, you're a legend! Appreciate all the (quick) help! I'll let you know how I go!

Old
02-11-2014, 01:14 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Hey Aireaye, the skate oven is super old and the skates don't fit in unless the tendon guards faces the fan. How much of an issue is it with the tendon guards facing the fan?

Old
02-11-2014, 01:31 AM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

All good. Ended up getting them in

Old
02-11-2014, 09:11 AM
AIREAYE

Do them one at a time and slot them in diagonally.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:38 PM
West Coast Eagles
Classless

Quote:
Do them one at a time and slot them in diagonally.
Yep pretty much what we did. We also cut a slot out of a wooden block so that the skate blade could sit in and stabilise the skate (wood wasn't touching the holder, only the blade). All sorted, get to put them to the test for the first time tomorrow afternoon! Pumped!

Old
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Wlebair
Rookie User

Please clarify

AIREAYE, you wrote:

"You can and should bake them with the desired insole in them, but to be safe, you might not want to put the insoles in the oven with the skates. Reasoning is simple; your foot adopts a different shape with the support than without."

Sorry to sound dense, but are you saying to leave the arch supports (not stock) in while oven baking?

Wlebair is offline   Reply With Quote