HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Scoremore

vCash: 500
From where the Canadiens could be drafting and who might be available, I'd be pleased if Alex Tuch was selected. He seems have a nice blend of skill and physical play. I saw in another thread where he was compared to Nick Bjugstad. (He's a big centre with raw skills.) While I wouldn't say it's an exact comparison - Tuch is, after all, a couple of inches shorter - it seems like a decent assessment.

I don't know enough about Ivan Barbashev. From reports I read, it sounds like he's got tons of character and plays a solid game. At the same time, it doesn't seem like he was one stand-out skill. (I could be wrong. Maybe someone who has seen him play a bit more could comment?)

If the Canadiens somehow snagged another first rounder, I'd be really pleased with Sonny Milano. From the bit I've seen in video clips, it seems he has amazing hand-eye coordination and is a terrific skater. Milano doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention from what I've read. Maybe he could be this year's version of Teemu Teravainen, a guy who slips down but that everyone raves about afterwards?

Has anyone seen anything of Pavel Kraskovsky? He seems to be a pivot with that kind of size (6'4", 187 lbs.) that teams all covet. But I haven't been able to find much about him. Is he a third round talent?

Just my thoughts. I enjoy reading the opinions and comments that others post, especially if it's about a player (like Barbashev) that I haven't seen play as much.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoremore View Post
From where the Canadiens could be drafting and who might be available, I'd be pleased if Alex Tuch was selected. He seems have a nice blend of skill and physical play. I saw in another thread where he was compared to Nick Bjugstad. (He's a big centre with raw skills.) While I wouldn't say it's an exact comparison - Tuch is, after all, a couple of inches shorter - it seems like a decent assessment.

I don't know enough about Ivan Barbashev. From reports I read, it sounds like he's got tons of character and plays a solid game. At the same time, it doesn't seem like he was one stand-out skill. (I could be wrong. Maybe someone who has seen him play a bit more could comment?)

If the Canadiens somehow snagged another first rounder, I'd be really pleased with Sonny Milano. From the bit I've seen in video clips, it seems he has amazing hand-eye coordination and is a terrific skater. Milano doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention from what I've read. Maybe he could be this year's version of Teemu Teravainen, a guy who slips down but that everyone raves about afterwards?

Has anyone seen anything of Pavel Kraskovsky? He seems to be a pivot with that kind of size (6'4", 187 lbs.) that teams all covet. But I haven't been able to find much about him. Is he a third round talent?

Just my thoughts. I enjoy reading the opinions and comments that others post, especially if it's about a player (like Barbashev) that I haven't seen play as much.
Barbashev has the identifiable Plekanec syndrome, work, work and work somemore. Another player that maybe worth a 3rd or 4th rounder is Beau Starrett LW USPHL South Shore's 6'4.75" - 200 lbs scorer, with 6g + 12a = 18pts in 19 games and fifth in the league, 2nd on SS he could be the sleeper pick. Out of legendary Catholic Memorial HS., Roxbury, Mass. could he be the next John Leclair coming soon to an arena near you. He signed with Cornell the same school Ken Dryden was at for Boston when they had his rights, a nice pick from under their noses, says moses.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:38 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi Ruxpin View Post
LW Vladimir Tkachev - Moncton Wildcats - 5'8 160 lbs

I know there's a few posters on here that have seen this kid play. Thoughts?

I've seen him play a few times since he came over from Russia and I'm definitely blown away from his skill level. Now, he is small, and we seem to have alot of these guys in the system already.

He's been fairly successful so far after ripping up the U18s and in the MHL. He also had a cup of coffee in the KHL this year. So far in Moncton he has 14 points in 8 games.

Where ultimately could this kid be drafted? 2nd or 3rd round?
Tkachev is magical no doubting that, but his size and being Russian could see Tampa Bay draft him with a late 3rd or 4th round pick, sickening when one looks at his playmaking skills. Jacob Sweeney seems to be benefitting from the scoring exploits of Barbashev & Tkachev since Vlad the Impaler joined his countryman lighting up the QMJHL. At 6'4" - 200 lbs. the LHD maybe worth a 2nd look for our Quebec fans to watch next time Moncton is in town. Stevie Yzerman is firmly of the belief that taking all of the Russian talents that make the journey over are worth the risk of a draft pick even in the 1st round. His team will be huge in size along with huge talent, check out their list of prospects and form your own opinion.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-10-2014 at 07:52 PM.
Old
02-10-2014, 09:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

G Demko wins the Beanpot. Having a great rookie season. I think he'll be the best goalie prospect since Gibson.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:57 AM
S Bah

With Mike McCarron seemingly having found his niche at center for the London Knights and Connor Crisp at LW in Sudbury the Habs would have a ready to go 3rd line with the addition of Alex Tuch in the 1st round this year. If not there is always Connor Chatham, Plymouth's Huge RW the Habs could draft in the late 3rd round.

I can already feel the Vibes around the Bell Center when a Habs line with their dimensions takes the ice and owns it. If Tuch is gone they can always go for Barbashev, this Russian plays hockey the Canadian way and has the non-stop motor like Plekanec.

Others I'd really like but will be gone Dal Colle, McCann, Ekblad**, Ehlers, along with Sam Bennett whom I haven't seen yet but apparently he's the best this year. Dal Colle reminds me of a young Mike Bossy, oh I can only wish the Habs get him.

Beau Starrett hasn't had any attention here yet and could be a real sleeper pick. Come on Habs beef up on heavy wingers for our young European stars and of course Andrighetto and Hudon. Starrett certainly could take care of one of them. Expected to top out at 6'6" and 230 lbs. he will be a PWF to match up nicely with a really talented playmaker like Lehkonen or Collberg. Sort of the policeman on their line ensuring that opponents don't take liberties with our small statured star players anymore.

When the players around the league realize the Habs will protect them the stars will want to play in Montreal for the Canadiens once again! Wayne Gretzky had Semenko, these Hab prospects better have one in this age, where there are Giants skating around, no longer is 6'6" players an oddity, they are becoming the norm, look at the teams Buffalo and Florida are building for direction. Huge is the way of the future not small like it is in Montreal.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-11-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old
02-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
With Mike McCarron seemingly having found his niche at center for the London Knights and Connor Crisp at LW in Sudbury the Habs would have a ready to go 3rd line with the addition of Alex Tuch in the 1st round this year. If not there is always Connor Chatham, Plymouth's Huge RW the Habs could draft in the late 3rd round.

I can already feel the Vibes around the Bell Center when a Habs line with their dimensions takes the ice and owns it. If Tuch is gone they can always go for Barbashev, this Russian plays hockey the Canadian way and has the non-stop motor like Plekanec.

Others I'd really like but will be gone Dal Colle, McCann, Ekblad**, Ehlers, along with Sam Bennett whom I haven't seen yet but apparently he's the best this year. Dal Colle reminds me of a young Mike Bossy, oh I can only wish the Habs get him.

Beau Starrett hasn't had any attention here yet and could be a real sleeper pick. Come on Habs beef up on heavy wingers for our young European stars and of course Andrighetto and Hudon. Starrett certainly could take care of one of them. Expected to top out at 6'6" and 230 lbs. he will be a PWF to match up nicely with a really talented playmaker like Lehkonen or Collberg. Sort of the policeman on their line ensuring that opponents don't take liberties with our small statured star players anymore.

When the players around the league realize the Habs will protect them the stars will want to play in Montreal for the Canadiens once again! Wayne Gretzky had Semenko, these Hab prospects better have one in this age, where there are Giants skating around, no longer is 6'6" players an oddity, they are becoming the norm, look at the teams Buffalo and Florida are building for direction. Huge is the way of the future not small like it is in Montreal.

I like Tuch for our 1st pick, this kid seems to have the finish and like to use his size. I also wouldn't mind Ehlers (homer pick, watch this kid play ALOT here in Halifax) and Larkin (who I see as another Plekanec in the future).

I aslo have never taken an LSAT so take my hockey opinions with a grain of salt....but instead of taking a dumb test, I went out and worked to get a good paying, secure and rewarding job....so uhm, test, schmest

Ready Aye Ready

Old
02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
LW Vladimir Tkachev - Moncton Wildcats - 5'8 160 lbs

I know there's a few posters on here that have seen this kid play. Thoughts?

I've seen him play a few times since he came over from Russia and I'm definitely blown away from his skill level. Now, he is small, and we seem to have alot of these guys in the system already.

He's been fairly successful so far after ripping up the U18s and in the MHL. He also had a cup of coffee in the KHL this year. So far in Moncton he has 14 points in 8 games.

Where ultimately could this kid be drafted? 2nd or 3rd round?
His skill will get him drafted late 2nd or early 3rd, but it will be a challenge to make the NHL with his frame. He isn't just small he has a small frame that makes it hard to add weight. He already struggles in traffic in junior so the pros will be that much harder.

Barbashev would be an excellent fit for the Habs but not Tkachev. Maybe a team with a lot of size and a lot of picks...Buffalo?

Old
02-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoremore View Post

If Barbashev has one stand out skill it's that his tools are above average across the board. He plays all 200 feet of the ice and can contribute in all aspects...offense/defense/physicality, can score and set up plays, center or wing. He reminds me a bit of Backes...not as big but better skater.

Old
02-11-2014, 02:16 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
If Barbashev has one stand out skill it's that his tools are above average across the board. He plays all 200 feet of the ice and can contribute in all aspects...offense/defense/physicality, can score and set up plays, center or wing. He reminds me a bit of Backes...not as big but better skater.
Okay then, let's not "Hammer on a Drum" so loud, I thought the Plekanec remark was enough, we'll never get a chance to pick him. Paul Holmgren is sitting reading these reports, licking his lips and getting set to screw the Habs out of the next Good One from the QMJHL. If he doesn't Sather will, I'm sure that their scouts keep apprised of everything newsworthy on this board.

Yeah he's good no doubting his abilities.

Old
02-11-2014, 02:25 PM
ottawahabs

Quote:
Similar mold as Jacob de la Rose?

Old
02-11-2014, 02:27 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawahabs View Post
Similar mold as Jacob de la Rose?
I'm not super familiar with him, but I think he has better puck skills than DLR and is/will be less of a two way presence than DLR, from what I can recall

Old
02-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Tinordi Ruxpin
Hey, C'mon Let's Go!

Barbashev is a solid player. I think the Plekanec reference is fitting although that would certainly be a ceiling.

Old
02-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not super familiar with him, but I think he has better puck skills than DLR and is/will be less of a two way presence than DLR, from what I can recall
I find they are similar defensively but Barbashev is a better skater, scorer and passer. Might be a top 10 pick, should be a lock for top 15 while DLR went 34th(though a deeper draft).

Old
02-11-2014, 02:46 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Barbashev is a solid player. I think the Plekanec reference is fitting although that would certainly be a ceiling.
With the size factor becoming greater each season Barbashev will be pretty much on target to be a Plekanec clone, with an extra inch in height and probably ten lbs more muscle when at his peak.

Old
02-11-2014, 04:33 PM
VanNistelrooy

Nice article by Stephane Leroux on who is the top-12 players from the Q to be drafted this draft, according to scouts :

1-NIKOLAJ EHLERS (Halifax)
2-IVAN BARBASHEV (Moncton)
3-VACLAV KARABACEK (Gatineau)
4-FRANCIS PERRON (Rouyn-Noranda)
5-ALEXIS VANIER (Baie-Comeau)
6-CLARK BISHOP (Cap-Breton)
7-EMIL ARONSSON (Blainville-Boisbriand)
8-DANIEL AUDETTE (Sherbrooke)
9-NICOLAS AUBE-KUBEL (Val-d’or)
10-MASON McDONALD (Acadie-Bathurst)
11-ALEXIS PÉPIN (Gatineau)
12-VLADIMIR TKACHEV (Moncton)

I would hope the Habs draft in 3 or 4th rounds Pépin and Tkachev.

Old
02-11-2014, 04:37 PM
ChoseLa

Alexis Vanier would be a great pick.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Beside the fact that Barbashev is a winger, he's much meaner and grittier than Plekanec. I don't think that's a good comparison, no offense. Barbashev has the potential to be a better offensive player than Plekanec, to boot....

Old
02-11-2014, 05:48 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanNistelrooy View Post
Nice article by Stephane Leroux on who is the top-12 players from the Q to be drafted this draft, according to scouts :

I really don't get the love for Bishop and Perron over Audette and Aubé-Kubel... That makes no sense, none at all.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Pepin is lazy as hell, I can see him as a guy the Habs put on their ND list.

Tkachev has nice skill but he gets blown over by a stiff breeze, he makes Desharnais look like a power forward. Granted he'll fill out but he has a tiny frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Alexis Vanier would be a great pick.
He is a huge wildcard on a good day he looks like a player but others he looks brutal. Hard to figure what you're getting. The fact that he is a 1995 will hurt his stock also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Beside the fact that Barbashev is a winger, he's much meaner and grittier than Plekanec. I don't think that's a good comparison, no offense. Barbashev has the potential to be a better offensive player than Plekanec, to boot....
Barbashev has played mostly center in Moncton(other than the half season with Danault). He could be a 1st line LW or 2nd line center. The Plekanec comparison is a pretty good one actually. Barabshev is bigger and more physical but similar styles and tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I really don't get the love for Bishop and Perron over Audette and Aubé-Kubel... That makes no sense, none at all.
I like Audette, little offensive dynamo, a quicker, smaller Hudon from what I've seen.

Aube-Kubel to me is a Todd Marchand, great skater but not a lot of offensive skill. Will he be a 3rd liner like Bournival? Is he gritty enough?

Bishop is a gritty, hard working guy but hasn't shown much offense...no way I'd use an early or mid round pick on him, looks like a 4th liner right now.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Barbashev has played mostly center in Moncton(other than the half season with Danault). He could be a 1st line LW or 2nd line center. The Plekanec comparison is a pretty good one actually. Barabshev is bigger and more physical but similar styles and tools.

I like Audette, little offensive dynamo, a quicker, smaller Hudon from what I've seen.

Aube-Kubel to me is a Todd Marchand, great skater but not a lot of offensive skill. Will he be a 3rd liner like Bournival? Is he gritty enough?

Bishop is a gritty, hard working guy but hasn't shown much offense...no way I'd use an early or mid round pick on him, looks like a 4th liner right now.
You can disagree but Barbashev, to me, plays like a winger, and whenever he played at a higher level of hockey, it was as a winger. He could adapt and play as a C at the NHL level, but his game is better suited to play on the wing, IMO.

Having seen him play over 40 times in the past two year, I don't think Audette is as mature as Hudon was at the time of the draft when it comes to puck decisions, and he's certainly not as reliable defensively. But I think he's a better offensive player, he creates a lot of openings for his linemates with his superior speed.

To me, he's closer to what Petan was last year than what Hudon is in term of player. Even though he might not be as dominant as Petan was last year. He also doesn't play in a league as tough. But the numbers he's having this season on the currently last team in the standings are impressive.

As for Aubé-Kubel, he's the one who reminds me of Hudon. He's a very cerebral player, and every time I see him play he impresses me with his hockey IQ. He always takes the good decision and is an excellent puck distributor. What makes you think he has no offensive potential exactly? Keep in mind he doesn't get much PP time since he's playing behind Henley, Marcotte and Mantha, who are all on the first PP, with Gélinas and Gazzola on D. He doesn't have the ice Barbashev or other players on weaker teams have. He'd have more points than Audette if he would have the same ice time, IMO.

In my mind, he's the best Québécois prospect in this draft.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:25 PM
SquiddFX

Barbashev would look sweet next to Galchenyuk.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Scoremore

Excellent reports. I'm still hoping for Alex Tuch, but I've sure warmed to the idea of Ivan Barbashev. Has anyone heard a report on Matt Mistele? Early in the season I remember there was talk that he could sneak into the first round. It seems like he has good finish around the net and looked like a budding power forward at one point. Is he maybe second round material?

Old
02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
S Bah

Quote:

Ehlers was my favorite before he came over, but Halifax's last game against Moncton, Barbashev's line ate up Ehlers line. Particularly Tkachev playing RW to Ehlers LW, needless to say Ehlers was -3 at the end and Vlad Tkachev was +2 that's quite a difference. Nic Aube-Kubel still has my interest and should step out of the shadow cast by Mantha next season, good time to draft him before that happens.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Ehlers was my favorite before he came over, but Halifax's last game against Moncton, Barbashev's line ate up Ehlers line. Particularly Tkachev playing RW to Ehlers LW, needless to say Ehlers was -3 at the end and Vlad Tkachev was +2 that's quite a difference. Nic Aube-Kubel still has my interest and should step out of the shadow cast by Mantha next season, good time to draft him before that happens.
The Moose are playing like sewage right now.

Old
02-12-2014, 11:20 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
The Moose are playing like sewage right now.
A couple of guys I fished with are living there again and haven't phoned to brag lately. There are a couple of players that interest me for the 3rd &4th rounds for Habs picks they are Connor Chatham RW 6'3" - 225 lbs. with 12g + 12a = 24pts and 40pims. Solid winger in his 1st OHL campaign. Beau Starrett RW 6'4 - 200 in the USPHL the 5th scorer in the league, tough as nails and has all the intangibles.

The Habs can fill out their depth with these homegrown talents for the future, with a solid draft this year. Next year they will be able to draft a really good top six type with a minimum of ten top notch players, in a strong draft year.

I'll be happy if they draft Bleackley, MacInnis or Cornel in the 1st, by the looks of the team's play the Habs will be drafting 25-30. That's counting on Galchenyuk coming back with a vengeance and leading the offence, instead of Pacioretty & Plekanec doing it all.

Closed Thread