HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Tavares Eligibilty Rumor?

Old
02-06-2007, 08:30 AM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

vCash: 500
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoser View Post
Does anyone honestly think Tavares would be better off playing in the NHL at 16 Better he spend 2 years in Europe.
16???

if he where to be drafted in 08 that would make him 18 when the reugular season starts. i think it would be a good idea. what will he have to prove in the ohl in the 08/09 season. he is allready tearing it up. but i dont see it happening. he is welcome to come to norway and play for my team

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
The Generals are attempting to host the Memorial Cup in 2008 and Tavares is obviously the centrepiece of that bid. If they get it, I don't see him leaving to play in Europe next year.

As for the NHL, I agree with those who say the NHL is not going to make a exception just for Tavares.

However, consider this. The OHL did not make an exception just for Tavares. They created a process by which underage (i.e. 15 year old) players could play in the league and Tavares was simply the first to take advantage of it. There will be others who apply and some will get in.

The possibility exists that the NHL will create the same kind of process by which a player can apply for "exceptional player status" -- just like Tavares did in the OHL -- and that Tavares will be the first to try to take advantage of it.

For those who argue that if the NHL didn't change its rules to allow Ovechkin in early, they won't do it for Tavares. Well, from a talent level, it makes sense. But the big difference between Ovechkin and Tavares is their country of origin. It's possible that Ovechkin might have stayed in Russia because he was already playing in the RSL. There wasn't as much incentive for him to leave and come to the NHL. He certainly wasn't "stagnating" in the RSL as an 18-year-old. If the NHL let Ovechkin be drafted in 2003, he might not have come to the league right away and the decision would have only benefited Florida. If the NHL allows Tavares in, he'll come right away, I think and there's instant gratification for the league.

There is an argument that Tavares might stagnate during a fourth OHL season (although, Canada is hosting the world juniors in Ottawa that year 2008-09). He needs to play pro as an 18-year-old somewhere and he definitely will if he's given the opportunity, I think. If he's getting some conservative advice from his agent, then he'll play a fourth year in the OHL, but if his agent has a little moxy, then I think you'll see him move. Sweden would be the most likely destination I would think.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it soon, though, before too many teams start trading first-round picks away in 2008 or 2009.

Last edited by Ryan Van Horne: 02-06-2007 at 10:52 AM. Reason: typo
Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:25 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
The Generals are attempting to host the Memorial Cup in 2008 and Tavares is obviously the centrepiece of that bid. If they get it, I don't see him leaving to play in Europe next year.

As for the NHL, I agree with those who say the NHL is not going to make a exception just for Tavares.

However, consider this. The OHL did not make an exception just for Tavares. They created a process by which underage (i.e. 15 year old) players could play in the league and Tavares was simply the first to take advantage of it. There will be others who apply and some will get in.

The possibility exists that the NHL will create the same kind of process by which a player can apply for "exceptional player status" -- just like Tavares did in the OHL -- and that Tavares will be the first to try to take advantage of it.

For those who argue that if the NHL didn't change its rules to allow Ovechkin in early, they won't do it for Tavares. Well, from a talent level, it makes sense. But the big difference between Ovechking and Tavares is their country of origin. It's possible that Ovechkin might have stayed in Russia because he was already playing in the RSL. There wasn't as much incentive for him to leave and come to the NHL. He certainly wasn't "stagnating" in the RSL as an 18-year-old. If the NHL let Ovechkin be drafted in 2003, he might not have come to the league right away and the decision would have only benefited Florida. If the NHL allows Tavares in, he'll come right away, I think and there's instant gratification for the league.

There is an argument that this might happen to Tavares. He needs to play pro as an 18-year-old somewhere and he definitely will if he's given the opportunity, I think. If he's getting some conservative advice from his agent, then he'll play a fourth year in the OHL, but if his agent has a little moxy, then I think you'll see him move. Sweden would be the most likely destination I would think.

If they're going to do this, they need to do it soon, though, before too many teams start trading first-round picks away in 2008 or 2009.

Good post! Brings up some interesting questions.

To the thread-starter, is there a link or any reference on where you heard this rumour?

Kevin Forbes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
I no sooner hit submit and the latest Hockey News drops through my mail slot -- the one with a cover story on John Tavares. An interesting read.

Couple interesting quotes from the story by John Brophy.

"I have no plans whatsoever to leave early. I have a lot to learn. Right now, I'm looking at this like I am going to be here for four years." -- John Tavares.

His agent, Bryan Deasley, said there's no plans to take legal action against the NHL to get him in.
A quote from Deasley opens the possibility of something different happening in year 4.
"... that could set up a scenario where John will need to come up with new challenges in his fourth year in the league."

Also, the story paraphrases Bill Daly saying the NHL does not anticipate changing the rules.

One gets the impression from this that if it's going to happen, the NHL is going to have be on board. A legal challenge by Tavares camp would be too costly and not really worthwhile.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveHextall View Post
I recently heard a rumor that the NHL was considering lifting the age restriction rule on Tavares which would make him eligible for the upcoming draft.

Since his birthday is only 10 days after the deadline, the NHL would let him in since another year in the OHL wouldn't seem to accomplish anything and they NHL needs another young star to sell.

I wish i remember where I heard this rumor, but I don't. Has anybody heard anything like this?
Then the league is fixed,The team that picks first next year would have to be real pissed at that,I SAY NO WAY WAIT YOUR TURN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:38 PM
DXFlyers

I wish the Flyers sucked next year instead of this year. But I like what I see in Patrick Kane, hopefully we can get him.

DXFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
kingpin_19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXFlyers View Post
I wish the Flyers sucked next year instead of this year. But I like what I see in Patrick Kane, hopefully we can get him.
Chances are, unless some changes are made to the personnel, they'll continue to be without a paddle next year as well. Unless Gagne decides to be the next Mark Messier...

kingpin_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin_19 View Post
Chances are, unless some changes are made to the personnel, they'll continue to be without a paddle next year as well. Unless Gagne decides to be the next Mark Messier...
I don't know about that..

I hate the Flyers and they look like they could turn it around pretty easily. They're a pretty talented team, not too different from the team from last year. They're loaded with young guns who are bound to improve, and they have underperforming vets everywhere. When they add someone with their Forsberg money, I could see them challenging for a playoff spot again next year.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
I remember reading that the NHL was moving the draft aga 3 months a year until they reach 19 years old. Did this get scrapped with the new CBA?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blues View Post
I hear Dustin Rose has a phenom son by the name of Devlin who scored 563 goals in 28 games in his bantam league at the age of 4. He's so good, the CHL is going to amend their rules to let him in at the age of six and the NHL is going to declare him eligible for the 2009 draft so it's not just "John Tavares and a bunch of scrubs".
I always thought Dustin Rose had the ability to travel back in time and see himself getting born. In fact, Dustin Rose's father is himself.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:58 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveHextall View Post
I recently heard a rumor that the NHL was considering lifting the age restriction rule on Tavares which would make him eligible for the upcoming draft.

Since his birthday is only 10 days after the deadline, the NHL would let him in since another year in the OHL wouldn't seem to accomplish anything and they NHL needs another young star to sell.

I wish i remember where I heard this rumor, but I don't. Has anybody heard anything like this?
I don't think there is any chance of that happening.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin_19 View Post
The Flyers will have near 25 mil in cap space for next year and about 6 positions to fill. That could easily mean Forsberg, Drury/Briere/Gomez, Markov, and Hannan. I expect it to be a busy off-season and I expect to make the playoffs.

Gags1288 is offline   Reply With Quote