HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Weber?

View Poll Results: Should Poile think of trading Weber to add to offense?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Wait for him to ask 0 0%
Only for an extreme overpayment(Top three player,Top six prospect,top 4D, and a 1st) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
What on earth does that have to do with his post?
You tell me.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-06-2014, 09:19 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
You tell me.
pretty much nothing.

Old
02-07-2014, 07:51 AM
MrJoshua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
But-but-but... offer sheet! Delayed signing! Offense! Ryan Suter! RYAN SUTER!!
Comedy gold.

Old
02-10-2014, 01:32 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I've used this argument ad nauseam in various threads on the trade forum.

Since we traded Klein the average age for a Nashville defender is 23.5. That is extremely young for defense in the NHL. If we trade Weber it drops by almost a full year. We simply do not have a veteran presence on the blueline.

Now, one can counter by saying, "Why not get a top line forward, a top prospect, a veteran blueliner and a pick?" Fair point. I would say that having Weber as that veteran presence is of such high value that no teams should want to put together a package that actually meets that value. Having one of the best defensemen in the game guiding young guys like Josi, Jones and MDZ is an awesome luxury. His leadership will also help guide young forwards.

So what we have is a player whose skill alone creates incredibly high value. Then you take into account the youth we have on the blueline, his leadership skills and, lest we forget, the enormous amount of money already paid towards his contract. All of those things put together makes me feel like trading him is a terrible idea, at the moment anyway. Anything can change down the road, but in the here and now there is absolutely no reason to even entertain the idea unless Shero goes insane and offers us Crosby.
I have a few questions/comments.

First why is it you include the fact we have paid so much of Weber salary into the reason why we should not trade him and yet make it seem it would be ok to trade him later when even more of the contract has been paid? Does that not seem strange?

Second does anyone believe that it would be easier to sign a veteran defeseman here than it appears to be to get offensive talent to sign here? This would play a big part in parting with Weber at some point.

Third are we as Nashville Predators fans really happy with playoff appearances? Any sport franchise is built to go after Championships. My favorite football team has not won the Super Bowl since winning back-to-back in 1972-1973. My favorite baseball team has won the world series twice(1993,2007) but after doing so traded most of the parts that had just won it for them. We cannot be happy with just making the playoffs, it makes no since. How many teams go down in history for having the highest playoff appearances, NONE. We need to press forward and go for the cup. Winning the cup is all about your year and a little luck. I do not know any franchise who has won a champhionship and would give that up for year in and year out playoff appearances.

Fourth I hear people say build a team from the net out. This team for sure is built that way. We have the great goalie in Rinne, and the Great defenseman in Weber, soon could be Jones but we lack the top end offensive threat needed for a deep cup run. Think about Rinne past three seasons, his GAA was 2.43,2.39,2.12, he is not the problem. Weber has had some really nice years but he should not be leading the team in offensive numbers. Think about 2011-2012 playoffs when Rinne was stellar GAA 2.07 and save percentage of .929. We have a goal differential of +4 while beating Red Wings in 5 games but we had a -2 differential against the Coyotes and lost in 5 games. Goals are important in the playoffs and the deeper you make it the harder to score and more important they are. We need someone who can put the puck in the net when you are down by one goal in the second round of the playoffs. Weber and Rinne can only do so much. My fear is we will continue to put all of our hope and dreams in Rinne and Weber for winning the cup and continue to sign third liners to fill our real needs in the top six and have just a good enough team to never get the top notch talent in the draft and while this is happening we may see Weber or Rinne get a wonderful piece of hardware but it will not be the cup while letting both of our best players prime slip away.

Old
02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

So your solution is to trade Weber. Ok, makes sense, really...?

Old
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Predsrule

It's easy to sign a vet d yes.. To sign a weber replacement no.. And as good as jones has been hes still a ways of from replacing weber. This team is new to soendig to the cap.. Last off session wasnt good.. But we have money lets see what we can do with it b4 trading the best d in the game for lesser parts.

Old
02-10-2014, 11:36 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So your solution is to trade Weber. Ok, makes sense, really...?
Come up with another solution that makes sense. Let me help you out.

1. Trade Weber who is 28 for some nice younger pieces so team can grow together.
2.Keep Weber and keep hoping and dreaming some big name free agent is coming to our rescue.
3.Hope Poile can draft some offense and they develop before Weber is 33 and Rinne's gone.
4.Sign some more third liners in free agency and continue to be just good enough not to get elite talent in draft.
Got any more.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:18 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post

1. Trade Weber who is 28 for some nice younger pieces so team can grow together.
2.Keep Weber and keep hoping and dreaming some big name free agent is coming to our rescue.
3.Hope Poile can draft some offense and they develop before Weber is 33 and Rinne's gone.
4.Sign some more third liners in free agency and continue to be just good enough not to get elite talent in draft.
Got any more.
Not sure why every point you make that keeps Weber is negative. How about...

5. Keep the team captain. He's leading all D-men in goals and is once again a Norris candidate. He is the face of the franchise, team captain, and is now the loan vet on a very young and talented defensive core. Moving forward, the top-4 will most likely be the best in the NHL.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:43 AM
Predsrule

Quote:

Got any more.
6) use the fact that for the first time we are now a cap team. Relize that our d is locked up and well cost controlled for a long time same as our goalies. And we have some good yong prospects in the system. We trade weber might as well trade peka as well and just rebuild for 5 years.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:14 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Moving forward, the top-4 will most likely be the best in the NHL.
But will that be good enough to go toe-to-toe with Chicago, StL, Anaheim in the West and challenge for a cup - especially considering that we have possibly the league's worst forward corps?

I don't see anyone of our middling B-level prospects turning into 80pt (or even 60pt) guys anytime in the near future. Maybe Forsberg, but putting alot of eggs in that basket.

The one UFA period we went out and spent, we signed a bunch of poor hockey players to bloated contracts. So I don't see help coming there, either.

If we trade Weber, we might not have the leagues best D corps. But if Jones pans out, we might have a top 10 D-corps, and with the pieces we get back, we might actually have a top-10 forward corps as well.

Or else we risk sitting here, 5-6 years from now, wondering what we have to show for the prime years of possibly the worlds best goalie and defenseman.

I could be totally wrong, and we could land an offensive gem with our 2014 draft pick, and Forsberg could turn into the best offensive player to come through our system since Radulov, and all our problems are solved. But I don't know if i'm betting on that.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
But will that be good enough to go toe-to-toe with Chicago, StL, Anaheim in the West and challenge for a cup - especially considering that we have possibly the league's worst forward corps?

I don't see anyone of our middling B-level prospects turning into 80pt (or even 60pt) guys anytime in the near future. Maybe Forsberg, but putting alot of eggs in that basket.

The one UFA period we went out and spent, we signed a bunch of poor hockey players to bloated contracts. So I don't see help coming there, either.

If we trade Weber, we might not have the leagues best D corps. But if Jones pans out, we might have a top 10 D-corps, and with the pieces we get back, we might actually have a top-10 forward corps as well.

Or else we risk sitting here, 5-6 years from now, wondering what we have to show for the prime years of possibly the worlds best goalie and defenseman.

I could be totally wrong, and we could land an offensive gem with our 2014 draft pick, and Forsberg could turn into the best offensive player to come through our system since Radulov, and all our problems are solved. But I don't know if i'm betting on that.
But we wouldn't just lose a really good D-man with good stats. We'd be losing the captain, the leader. An elite, best (IMO) D-man in the world who is now the most tenured (by a number of years) on the blue line. I agree with what was already stated...If Weber is traded, we're in a full on rebuild that would take years.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:34 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

...Wasn't this poll already done?

Old
02-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Predarat

Weber to San Jose for Heartl, Thorton, Vlassic and a 1st.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:43 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
...Wasn't this poll already done?
It's the same one?

Old
02-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Byrddog

Its a tough call to trade Weber or not, boils down to what is offered really. I don't buy the not tradeable because he wears the C. I don't want to see the guy traded because of what he does on the ice most of the time.

The imbalance of talent backend to front end is the issue. The depth in the system is a concerning issue now as well. There just little confidence that if a player goes down that they have options to fill in. I know its not going to be a popular opinion but since we lost Claude Noel the development from Milwaukee has taken a downturn.

Bottom line if a team is willing to offer a irresistible amount of talent to get Weber then they have to pull the trigger.

While ownership spent to the cap this year it does not mean that they will be so open with there purse this summer. The hockey operation lost 800k last season and is projected to lose money again this year. As far as it goes they must spend money to make money(playoffs). But I do not see another offseason of overspending on questionable talent like last summer. People who have money know how to make money in any venture. These guys are not in this as a hobby or tax writeoff long term.

In time the team will get fixed. Will we still have any sanity by that time is questionable.....

Old
02-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Nashville Transplant

that Shea Weber could blast 100 pucks out of a practice facility and only hit David Poile in the face ONCE means he MUST be traded...

Old
02-11-2014, 12:46 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Not sure why every point you make that keeps Weber is negative. How about...

5. Keep the team captain. He's leading all D-men in goals and is once again a Norris candidate. He is the face of the franchise, team captain, and is now the loan vet on a very young and talented defensive core. Moving forward, the top-4 will most likely be the best in the NHL.
Not trying to be negative but that is how I see it, hope I am proven wrong.
I am just going off our post Kariya signing team. No top notch free agent has come here since him. Track record.
Poile seems to not be able to draft solid offensive pieces. Track record.
We have a team full of Third liners. Track record.
Can you address the following from above?

First why is it you include the fact we have paid so much of Weber salary into the reason why we should not trade him and yet make it seem it would be ok to trade him later when even more of the contract has been paid? Does that not seem strange?

Second does anyone believe that it would be easier to sign a veteran defeseman here than it appears to be to get offensive talent to sign here? This would play a big part in parting with Weber at some point.

Third are we as Nashville Predators fans really happy with playoff appearances? Any sport franchise is built to go after Championships. My favorite football team has not won the Super Bowl since winning back-to-back in 1972-1973. My favorite baseball team has won the world series twice(1993,2007) but after doing so traded most of the parts that had just won it for them. We cannot be happy with just making the playoffs, it makes no since. How many teams go down in history for having the highest playoff appearances, NONE. We need to press forward and go for the cup. Winning the cup is all about your year and a little luck. I do not know any franchise who has won a champhionship and would give that up for year in and year out playoff appearances.

Fourth I hear people say build a team from the net out. This team for sure is built that way. We have the great goalie in Rinne, and the Great defenseman in Weber, soon could be Jones but we lack the top end offensive threat needed for a deep cup run. Think about Rinne past three seasons, his GAA was 2.43,2.39,2.12, he is not the problem. Weber has had some really nice years but he should not be leading the team in offensive numbers. Think about 2011-2012 playoffs when Rinne was stellar GAA 2.07 and save percentage of .929. We have a goal differential of +4 while beating Red Wings in 5 games but we had a -2 differential against the Coyotes and lost in 5 games. Goals are important in the playoffs and the deeper you make it the harder to score and more important they are. We need someone who can put the puck in the net when you are down by one goal in the second round of the playoffs. Weber and Rinne can only do so much. My fear is we will continue to put all of our hope and dreams in Rinne and Weber for winning the cup and continue to sign third liners to fill our real needs in the top six and have just a good enough team to never get the top notch talent in the draft and while this is happening we may see Weber or Rinne get a wonderful piece of hardware but it will not be the cup while letting both of our best players prime slip away.

Last edited by predshabs: 02-11-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old
02-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:

Third are we as Nashville Predators fans really happy with playoff appearances? Any sport franchise is built to go after Championships. My favorite football team has not won the Super Bowl since winning back-to-back in 1972-1973. My favorite baseball team has won the world series twice(1993,2007) but after doing so traded most of the parts that had just won it for them. We cannot be happy with just making the playoffs, it makes no since. How many teams go down in history for having the highest playoff appearances, NONE. We need to press forward and go for the cup.

Winning the cup is all about your year and a little luck.

I've NEVER experienced a win in any of my sports. My teams in the NHL (Preds), MLB (Padres), NFL (Chargers), NBA (Clippers) have never one a championship in the history of their franchises. So, there's that string of negativity. However, one's opinion on whether or not "making the playoffs" is good enough or not is just that. An opinion. "Making the playoffs" is necessary to win a title, so in that respect heck yeah that's good enough. Sure there are teams that are favored or more likely to do damage than others based on their season performance, but making the playoffs works for me because we have a shot.

Now if someone is going to use the phrase "just making the playoffs" to signify our inability to advance deep into them, sure that's frustrating but it's my mindset as a fan (and not an apologetic one) to be fine with that because I want a shot to win it all. But again, that's my mindset and others don't agree with it and that's fine too.

By the way that last sentence proves my own point and why I feel the way I do. You DO need luck and breaks and for it to be 'your year' to win it all. So much of that simply has to do with just being in and having a shot. Especially year after year.

Old
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
6) use the fact that for the first time we are now a cap team. Relize that our d is locked up and well cost controlled for a long time same as our goalies. And we have some good yong prospects in the system. We trade weber might as well trade peka as well and just rebuild for 5 years.
I disagree we should trade Rinne. That is who can help out that young d-core. Look at how much better Edmonton appears now that they have Scrivens. Scrivens is no Rinne as of now. We have Diaby who seems to be progressing in the system plus we can sign a Veteran Defenseman to replace on the second pairing with MDZ.

I do not know what Weber could return but if it is at least a really solid top line piece and a blue chip prospect our top six would be filled out rather well and our defense would still be solid. Josi-Jones-MDZ is still a pretty good core.

Old
02-11-2014, 01:08 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I've NEVER experienced a win in any of my sports. My teams in the NHL (Preds), MLB (Padres), NFL (Chargers), NBA (Clippers) have never one a championship in the history of their franchises. So, there's that string of negativity. However, one's opinion on whether or not "making the playoffs" is good enough or not is just that. An opinion. "Making the playoffs" is necessary to win a title, so in that respect heck yeah that's good enough. Sure there are teams that are favored or more likely to do damage than others based on their season performance, but making the playoffs works for me because we have a shot.

Now if someone is going to use the phrase "just making the playoffs" to signify our inability to advance deep into them, sure that's frustrating but it's my mindset as a fan (and not an apologetic one) to be fine with that because I want a shot to win it all. But again, that's my mindset and others don't agree with it and that's fine too.

By the way that last sentence proves my own point and why I feel the way I do. You DO need luck and breaks and for it to be 'your year' to win it all. So much of that simply has to do with just being in and having a shot. Especially year after year.
I agree that you have to make the playoffs to be able to win the cup, super bowl, world series, nba championship. All of my favorite teams have won it all and some are historically the best at it. Pre Predators-Habs(NHL), Marlins(MLB), Celtics(NBA), Dolphins(NFL)
I am glad to see people who are fans of teams that have never won it all and are proud fans. Think about Seahawks fans-they got thiers.

Old
02-11-2014, 02:13 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I agree that you have to make the playoffs to be able to win the cup, super bowl, world series, nba championship. All of my favorite teams have won it all and some are historically the best at it. Pre Predators-Habs(NHL), Marlins(MLB), Celtics(NBA), Dolphins(NFL)
I am glad to see people who are fans of teams that have never won it all and are proud fans. Think about Seahawks fans-they got thiers.
Yup. My two best friends live in Seattle and one of which is a life-long Hawks fan.

Old
02-11-2014, 02:42 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
I disagree we should trade Rinne. That is who can help out that young d-core. Look at how much better Edmonton appears now that they have Scrivens. Scrivens is no Rinne as of now. We have Diaby who seems to be progressing in the system plus we can sign a Veteran Defenseman to replace on the second pairing with MDZ.

I do not know what Weber could return but if it is at least a really solid top line piece and a blue chip prospect our top six would be filled out rather well and our defense would still be solid. Josi-Jones-MDZ is still a pretty good core.
You know who else can help out the d core.... The best d in the game... and why keep peka if we trade weber to get a young core to grow together as you say.. If weber doesnt fit into that then peka surely doesnt might as well deal him for a youg goalie to grow with the rest of your young weber less team

Old
02-11-2014, 03:04 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
You know who else can help out the d core.... The best d in the game... and why keep peka if we trade weber to get a young core to grow together as you say.. If weber doesnt fit into that then peka surely doesnt might as well deal him for a youg goalie to grow with the rest of your young weber less team
We have plenty of young goalies. When Rinne's contract runs out, Saros should be ready to step in.

We keep Rinne,Josi,Jones,MDZ,Ekholm to go with whatever offensive pieces we get in Weber trade to add to our top six to remain a better balanced team.

Old
02-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
We have plenty of young goalies. When Rinne's contract runs out, Saros should be ready to step in.

We keep Rinne,Josi,Jones,MDZ,Ekholm to go with whatever offensive pieces we get in Weber trade to add to our top six to remain a better balanced team.
When his contract runs out? After the 2018-19 season? Are we really planning on who should be ready to step up in goal in 2020?

Old
02-11-2014, 03:23 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:

The average age of the remaining D-men is something like 22 years old. Weber is needed to anchor that core. Those kids are learning from the best in the game. If Weber is traded, I wouldn't feel as confident in the future of that core as I do now.

Closed Thread