HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sather Vows To Keep Kids

Old
02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
My problem is, Rangerboy...

I don't know which teams have options for goalies that are more fresh than Weekes.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:01 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
this season, he'd have some value, but value is relative - you're talking about a 4th rounder or so in value, not a serviceable player. At this point, the Rangers may be lucky to get that. Amazing how the Rangers were able to wipe out any value created from his last season with the 'Canes.
it's not just the rangers though. weekes did it to himself as well. he came in as the starter only because other teams weren't serious about him as a starter. he lost his job to hank, and ever since then he's been either up or down with no gray area.

i'm sure you're implying though that it's an amazing coincidence how it happened to be the rangers who witnessed it firsthand, which i understand.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:08 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
I don't know which teams have options for goalies that are more fresh than Weekes.
Don't forget the Rangers signed Kevin Weekes before the lockout to a 1 year/$1.375 million after Carolina decided to not give Weekes a QO.His value hasn't really been hurt because it was never really that high to begin with.The other back up types which could move are Patrick Lalime or Brian Boucher.Robert Esche is hurt again

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Aaron Ward to San Jose?The Sharks have the Devils first round pick and the Canes second round pick plus their own picks in those two rounds.Marcel Goc and Josh Gorges

Ward to Nashville?Ryan Parent is a wet dream.Cody Franson.Kevin Klein.David Poile traded a #1 to the Caps for Brendan Witt last year only to see Witt leave.Ward would be around for another season-$2.75 million

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Fletch

The implication is there...

I do think that Lundqvist won the starting job more than Weekes lost it last season, and it took a while for Renney to realize it. Weekes was a better starter than backup - he had been used to 50-70 starts a season the prior few seasons and didn't adjust well initially. I think he started to play better, but when you play one every few week(e)s, you get real cold, like he has this season. Never been a fan of the way in which Renney uses his goalies.

Old
02-08-2007, 06:51 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I am all for trading Jagr. It would be stupid not to considering you know a team is going to be interested. Jagr serves the Rangers no purpose if they fail to make the playoffs and whatever he could bring back could sure be used in the future.

After that trade Nylander, Malik, Hall, and A.Ward.
Thing is, if you trade all those guys then you trade Shanahan too. If you deal all of them off, you're telling the world that you're surrendering inthe short term (for at least a couple of years). Would Shanahan have any interest in signing on with a rebuilding team? I doubt it. So if Jagr, Nylander, and Ward go, Shanny pretty much has to go too - unless you're content to see him walk away for nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
What teams could afford JJ both contract wise and player wise though?
Jagr's pretty cheap and if you're willing to take back, say, $2.5M in salary in the deal, he gets within the range of most of the teams that would want him.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Nich

please, jagr is only 4.5 covered by the rangers. we won't have to take back any salary.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
please, jagr is only 4.5 covered by the rangers. we won't have to take back any salary.
That depends on the cap room of the buyer. Some simply can't fit $4.5 under their cap. If I can drive a bidding war by making it possible for more teams to join the fray, I'm doing it. Also, if a contending team is willing to give me an extra 2nd rounder to take some of their salary, I'm in.

Old
02-08-2007, 07:12 PM
Fletch

I don't know the particulars...

of Jagr's contract, and Rangerboy can comment more definitively on this, but I thought that a trade may cause the Rangers to pick up WASH's portion of his salary.

Old
02-08-2007, 07:19 PM
dedalus

Quote:
of Jagr's contract, and Rangerboy can comment more definitively on this, but I thought that a trade may cause the Rangers to pick up WASH's portion of his salary.
If true that settles it. No contender has that kind of cap space available. The Rangers will be taking back salary - probably as much as they're currently paying Jagr.