HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Weber?

View Poll Results: Should Poile think of trading Weber to add to offense?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Wait for him to ask 0 0%
Only for an extreme overpayment(Top three player,Top six prospect,top 4D, and a 1st) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2014, 03:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Here's my plan.

Keep the best defenseman in the game unless your getting a top 5 player in the league as a return.

Draft an offensive player, they take way less time to develop. Get a coach that knows how to generate offense.

Old
02-11-2014, 04:22 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Weber is tradeable ... for the right overpayment in the neighborhood of a young emerging star forward, pick(s), and prospect(s). He is under contract for another twelve years ... plenty of time for any kid drafted in the next few summers to grow while Shea is in the prime of his years if he isn't traded. As frustrating as Weber's lack of emotion and underperformance (compared to his contract and past demonstrated ability) through the first few months of the season were, he came back to form just after Christmas and is playing like we need him to ... 16 pts (11 at ES), +3 since New Year's. Couple that with Josi's 13 points (11 at ES), +5 during the same span and we have an actual bright spot on the ice right now.

It took the Seahawks 37 years to win their first championship. If they are the model, how does trading a player now help us win a championship in approximately 22 years?

Old
02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
PFL615

The Preds have one of the best d-corps and goalie in the league.

Now all we need is to trim some veteran not going to make a difference fat and get assets for Legwand, Gaustad, Cullen, and Fisher if he is retiring next year and wants a shot at a cup.

Make a decision on Wilson and Ellis. If someone offers something you can't refuse pull the trigger. Especially on Wilson.

Like mentioned before non of the above matter what changes you make if you don't have a coach to provide new energy, new ideas, and provide a different culture with.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Weber is tradeable ... for the right overpayment in the neighborhood of a young emerging star forward, pick(s), and prospect(s). He is under contract for another twelve years ... plenty of time for any kid drafted in the next few summers to grow while Shea is in the prime of his years if he isn't traded. As frustrating as Weber's lack of emotion and underperformance (compared to his contract and past demonstrated ability) through the first few months of the season were, he came back to form just after Christmas and is playing like we need him to ... 16 pts (11 at ES), +3 since New Year's. Couple that with Josi's 13 points (11 at ES), +5 during the same span and we have an actual bright spot on the ice right now.

It took the Seahawks 37 years to win their first championship. If they are the model, how does trading a player now help us win a championship in approximately 22 years?

If you read my post me talking about the Seahawks was in response to the other guy saying none of his teams have won anything championship wise, nothing to do with being the model for the Predators.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Here's my plan.

Keep the best defenseman in the game unless your getting a top 5 player in the league as a return.

Draft an offensive player, they take way less time to develop. Get a coach that knows how to generate offense.
How has this worked out for us?

Old
02-11-2014, 08:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
How has this worked out for us?
About as well as trading for offense has...

Old
02-11-2014, 09:00 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Sullivan. A quality scoring forward that didn't cost a Weber type player in return. A great move until the injury.

Hartnell was putting up 20+ goals in his last several seasons before becoming a victim of the Liepold firesale. Radulov was a week into the period where the team could possibly sign him to an extension when he signed with the KHL ... but a talented offensive player in his NHL time. Erat was a hell of a late round pick ... so was Hornqvist when we used him to his strengths.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:15 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

we are 23rd in the league in payroll. Thought I would throw the cap team crap ut the window. We have spent more, but we are not truly a cap team

Old
02-12-2014, 05:09 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
we are 23rd in the league in payroll. Thought I would throw the cap team crap ut the window. We have spent more, but we are not truly a cap team
Ok we started the season like 1.5 mill off... just think of player we would of gotten with that with polies crazyness this last summer

Old
02-12-2014, 07:16 AM
glenngineer

Looking at Weber's numbers, even if we trade him for an emerging young forward or even a proven forward, he scores in the neighborhood of 50 or so points a year, even if the forward returning is able to score 80 in a season on average, is that extra 30 points worth it? You need a top 3 and top 6 forward to make it work if they're in the neighborhood of 130-150 points per season. Not sure any team is going to give that up, even for Weber.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:46 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Exaclty.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:27 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Trading Weber = Blowing up team = never gonna happen. As long as Poile & Trotz are calling the shots, we will be strong from the goal out. That means Rinne if he's healthy and Webs/Josi/MDZ/Jones/Ellis anchoring the D. Our forwards start and end with Craig Smith. Everyone else is tradeable and replaceable. We need to treat them like entree choices in a Chinese restaurant:
Legs, Cullen, Fish: Choose 2 .
Goose, Nystrom, Clune: Choose 2.
Spals, Bourque, Horny: Choose 1.
Stalberg, Wilson: Choose 1.
Beck, Forsberg, Sissons, Moser: Choose 3.
That leaves us 9 forwards. Then bring up more kids and/or bring in guys via trade or FA.

Oh, and just to tic off the We're-a-character-team-with-good-"room"-guys, I'd find a way to bring Rads back.

There, I said it.

Just think of where we'd be right now if Poile/Trotz had just said: "Hey Boys, make sure you never miss curfew again. Now go out there and beat Phoenix". Rads could be playing under a long term contract and have 20 goals at the break.

We could use a little "attitude" and a little less "aw-shucks", dump-and-chase, "detail" Stepford forwards.

Old
02-12-2014, 03:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it's funny some our posters think the solution to our offensive problems are to trade our top 2 performers. I think if we are going to be a scoring by committee approach, we need to trade off those who are not contributing. Right now, Stahlberg, Cullen, Gaustad, Bourque, and Clune are not getting it done. We don't have the luxury of carrying 1 dimensional players.

Old
02-12-2014, 04:31 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I think it's funny some our posters think the solution to our offensive problems are to trade our top 2 performers. I think if we are going to be a scoring by committee approach, we need to trade off those who are not contributing. Right now, Stahlberg, Cullen, Gaustad, Bourque, and Clune are not getting it done. .
I'm all for getting rid of those guys, but it's not like they have any trade value. Minimal value at best; negative trade value at worst for some.

We simply aren't going to be able to obtain needed offensive punch without giving up something that hurts. The only 2 possible quasi-solutions: 1) Packing Klein+.... but, we traded him for more defense, or 2) If someone goes crazy on trading for impending UFA Legwand (not holding my breath). I'd expect a later first or mid-grade prospect.

For guaranteed offensive punch, what we'd have to give up something that's going to hurt badly.

I'm not suggesting to trade Weber for that. But what people like to leave out in this scenario is that the vast majority of star players want to play for a winner, and Weber has eluded to that publicly before as well. I'd like to keep Weber, but the second he asks for trade, his trade value will go down (though we'd still get a substance return). IF Weber is only lukewarm on staying with the Predators for the remainder of his career, he should be traded. His value will never be higher. It's not going to fix everything all at once, but it would be a key piece to a rebuild.

However we as fans can only guess what's in Weber's head right now. It's up to Poile to get a pulse of his star players-- something he has failed at the last 3 years.

At this point, I'ld assume/hope that Weber wants to stay with the Predators indefinitely, and that Poile is not being naive and putting himself in a position to be blindsided again.

Last edited by dulzhok: 02-12-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old
02-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Trading Weber = Blowing up team = never gonna happen. As long as Poile & Trotz are calling the shots, we will be strong from the goal out. That means Rinne if he's healthy and Webs/Josi/MDZ/Jones/Ellis anchoring the D. Our forwards start and end with Craig Smith. Everyone else is tradeable and replaceable. We need to treat them like entree choices in a Chinese restaurant:
Legs, Cullen, Fish: Choose 2 .
Goose, Nystrom, Clune: Choose 2.
Spals, Bourque, Horny: Choose 1.
Stalberg, Wilson: Choose 1.
Beck, Forsberg, Sissons, Moser: Choose 3.
That leaves us 9 forwards. Then bring up more kids and/or bring in guys via trade or FA.

Oh, and just to tic off the We're-a-character-team-with-good-"room"-guys, I'd find a way to bring Rads back.

There, I said it.

Just think of where we'd be right now if Poile/Trotz had just said: "Hey Boys, make sure you never miss curfew again. Now go out there and beat Phoenix". Rads could be playing under a long term contract and have 20 goals at the break.

We could use a little "attitude" and a little less "aw-shucks", dump-and-chase, "detail" Stepford forwards.
We don't need to choose between forsberg or Scissons. I get where you're coming from but it needs to be dialed back a little, we don't need to blow it all up, especially when we just finished tinkering with our defense. Horny, to me, isn't expendable.

It'd be a lot simpler to go forward with Fisher, Gaustad, Spaling, Wilson down the middle and get something for Cullen and Legwand. Every team needs 3rd or 4th line energy guys, we just have to keep it to a minimum.

I see this as a definite transition period where there is heavy movement of veterans and youngsters coming up and down.

I can see a line-up like this eventually though.

Smith-Fisher-Hornqvist
Forsberg-Wilson-Stalberg/Bourque/UFA?Draft pick?
Beck-Spaling-Moser
Nystrom-Gaustad-Clune

It's a really inexperienced roster for the most part, but I think it's got a good mix of everything.Knowing Trotz though, Nystrom will probably be top 6 and we'll sign another grinder in the off-season.

I hope we shoot for the moon and try and sign Vanek or Stastny. Add one of them and draft two forwards in the first round and that line-up looks a lot more respectable.

Old
02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Do you guys think if we trade Legwand we will end up with a better player? I don't.

Old
02-12-2014, 07:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Do you guys think if we trade Legwand we will end up with a better player? I don't.
We might get a similarly or slightly more skilled, younger player but I doubt we find one that immediately meshes with the line.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:12 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
We have to get better as organization. Legwand having his 2nd best season... no reason to think that's going to continue if he gets a retirement contract. And anyway, it's not like his "lights out" season is leading us anywhere.

Should we have held on to Ronning for a couple more years too because he was putting up OK numbers and we didn't have great alternatives?

And if Poile can't figure out a way to get better... he needs to look in the mirror at his GMing abilities.

Old
02-13-2014, 05:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
We might get a similarly or slightly more skilled, younger player but I doubt we find one that immediately meshes with the line.
My fear is we trade him for a drift pick and Draft a player that turns out to be a Collin Wilson.

Old
02-13-2014, 06:03 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
its not that simple.

Trading Legwand now for a pick is trading the next three or four years of Legwands(presumed) declining productivity for a player who would be just beginning to be effective three to five years from now but would be ours for 7 years or more.

Now, if we could trade Legwand for a top end prospect who is already a couple of years in the pipeline that would be a different situation.

Quote:
My fear is we trade him for a drift pick and Draft a player that turns out to be a Collin Wilson.
the only reason to keep Legwand is if we intend to re-sign him. If thats the plan, it should already have been done, since apparently Legwand is willing to sign. If thats not the plan, it would be silly to keep him now and lose him this summer for nothing, given how unlikely it is that we make the playoffs this season. Getting another Colin Wilson is better than getting jack squat

Old
02-13-2014, 06:25 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
its not that simple.

Trading Legwand now for a pick is trading the next three or four years of Legwands(presumed) declining productivity for a player who would be just beginning to be effective three to five years from now but would be ours for 7 years or more.

Now, if we could trade Legwand for a top end prospect who is already a couple of years in the pipeline that would be a different situation.

the only reason to keep Legwand is if we intend to re-sign him. If thats the plan, it should already have been done, since apparently Legwand is willing to sign. If thats not the plan, it would be silly to keep him now and lose him this summer for nothing, given how unlikely it is that we make the playoffs this season. Getting another Colin Wilson is better than getting jack squat
Can't argue with that.

Old
02-13-2014, 06:54 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Can't argue with that.
who are you and what have you done with JJ?

but, wait.. you can't be trig, he had his account deleted….

(ps welcome back)

Old
02-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Byrddog

I still think if Legwand was part of the future here he would be signed. The only thing that would dispute that is if there is a backroom deal between him and DP to trade him to a team that has a cup chance then he re-signs here in the offseason. Even if the second scenario is whats going on can we see Leggy top 6 going forward I doubt that. If He is moved before the trade deadline and its not to a Legit cup threat then hes pretty much gone.

One a brighter note the US team looks good against Slov's. Kinda little justice though that Suter brainfarted leading to a goal. (Bless his Heart)

Old
02-13-2014, 08:50 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
If it's a Wilson that develops a bit quicker I don't have a real problem with it. It's a shame that we didn't see the current level of play from Wilson a couple of seasons ago.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:38 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
If it's a Wilson that develops a bit quicker I don't have a real problem with it. It's a shame that we didn't see the current level of play from Wilson a couple of seasons ago.
I wonder if both shoulder operations and a slow start have a lot to do with that.