HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2014, 04:55 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Perhaps Yakimov might step in and become that #2C. The guy is a big body and has huge upside. I;m excited to see him at training camp next fall.
It would be nice to not rely on a rookie everytime we need a hole filled right away. Its rare that this strategy works out well

Old
02-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
It would be nice to not rely on a rookie everytime we need a hole filled right away. Its rare that this strategy works out well
Fair enough but to get a #2C, we need to trade one of our young players like Eberle or Yakupov. I don't think Mac-T is willing to something like that right now.

We can also sign a free agent but given this franchise has been associated with losing for a decade, what free agent would want to come?

Old
02-11-2014, 05:00 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Especially with how development goes. Lander was drafted to be a middle 6 center. Now we're just hoping he can be a 3rd line center (that said, maybe we shouldn't be writing him off as the #2C either given he's a shutdown center who's over a PPG in the AHL at 22, and is once again, captain of his team)

02-11-2014, 05:06 PM
bestmyfeeling

Quote:
Fair enough but to get a #2C, we need to trade one of our young players like Eberle or Yakupov. I don't think Mac-T is willing to something like that right now.

We can also sign a free agent but given this franchise has been associated with losing for a decade, what free agent would want to come?
has lander been completely written off? i still believe lander can turn into something

Old
02-11-2014, 05:12 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:

We don't need a high end 2nd line center if they'll be playing with Perron and Eberle. I see no reason we couldn't land a guy like Legwand, Grabovski, Goc, Bolland, etc... Now that I think about it a guy like Goc might be a realistic target this summer. Obviously not ideal but could be a good patch until we can bring in someone with more skill.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:33 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmyfeeling View Post
has lander been completely written off? i still believe lander can turn into something
Completely written off? No. But he seems to be an afterthought amongst most Oil fans.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:

You could trade Perron for a #2 centre probably pretty easily. The season that he's had, Perron's value has sufficiently gone up.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:38 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We don't need a high end 2nd line center if they'll be playing with Perron and Eberle. I see no reason we couldn't land a guy like Legwand, Grabovski, Goc, Bolland, etc... Now that I think about it a guy like Goc might be a realistic target this summer. Obviously not ideal but could be a good patch until we can bring in someone with more skill.
The team will likely draft a player capable of filling that role this year, probably Draisaitl. So you just need to bring someone in who can fill it for a couple of seasons until Draisaitl is ready.

In a perfect world, you bring someone in who is looking for that opportunity and has shown themselves capable, increase their value by putting them in the right positions to succeed and then when Draisaitl is ready in two or three years you can flip that centre to fill a need somewhere else.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't think that they should trade Gagner for Clifford either, but lets not get ridiculous with Richards talk.
I would take a Gagner for Muzzin swap though.

Fixed.

Pic was in the wrong place.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:49 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Completely written off? No. But he seems to be an afterthought amongst most Oil fans.
Still a few years from making a significant impact, I don't think people are writing him off. I think people realize he won't be centering the 2nd or 3rd line any time soon, so they don't talk about him much.

Old
02-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
But it has worked so well for the Oilers, that's just crazy talk!

Old
02-11-2014, 06:11 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The team will likely draft a player capable of filling that role this year, probably Draisaitl. So you just need to bring someone in who can fill it for a couple of seasons until Draisaitl is ready.

In a perfect world, you bring someone in who is looking for that opportunity and has shown themselves capable, increase their value by putting them in the right positions to succeed and then when Draisaitl is ready in two or three years you can flip that centre to fill a need somewhere else.

Brandon Sutter. Has size, is a great two way player/ shut down guy. He has been in the league for 4-5 years or something and has been around a 30 pt guy and he has shown he has a little offensive upside. Is an RFA this year and likely looking for a pay increase and possibly a bigger role. Pittsburgh probably isn't in a position to offer both. Try to get him in a cheap deal or offer sheet him at 3.3 would only cost us a 2nd.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:15 PM
Joey Moss

What do people see in Muzzin? He's a LH shot playing on a damn good team with a damn good player in Doughty. Not only do we have Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Ference, Musil, Gernat as LH defenseman in the depth chart, but he wouldn't be nearly the player he is right now on our team. That would be a brutal trade, worse than Clifford.

Old
02-11-2014, 06:42 PM
Mikey71

I would like Muzzin to come to the Oilers in a deal. I have followed him since his days in the OHL here in the Soo and love his dedication. I don't know how often or even if it has been mentioned here, but he had HUGE back issues his first few years in the Soo. I don't remember 100%, but I think he ended up missing a full season when he had surgery to correct it. That really set his development back and I am thrilled he has come along so well, but know he would be so much further along had he not missed all of that development time early on.

What type of player would he be in Edmonton compared to what he is in LA? I think he takes many of the chances he does because LA is a good enough team to absorb the mistakes he makes. If he were in Edmonton, I think he would be fine as long as he played within himself and played a lower risk game. In fact, as long as he played within himself, I think he would be the best Oiler defenceman at least as much as any current Oiler defenceman would be. While I am not calling him a clone by any stretch, I see a lot of Adam Foote in his game. I picked Foote since I watched him from his junior days thru the rest of his career.

Gagner for Clifford and Muzzin, yes please.

Old
02-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@cmorganfoxaz
ICYMI: GM Don Maloney confirms the #Coyotes will be buyers, not sellers at the trade deadline| FOX Sports on MSN http://foxs.pt/1bJtDcq

Old
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
@cmorganfoxaz
ICYMI: GM Don Maloney confirms the #Coyotes will be buyers, not sellers at the trade deadline| FOX Sports on MSN http://foxs.pt/1bJtDcq
Henrik Samuelsson, come on down!

Old
02-11-2014, 07:40 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeTeam16 View Post
Brandon Sutter. Has size, is a great two way player/ shut down guy. He has been in the league for 4-5 years or something and has been around a 30 pt guy and he has shown he has a little offensive upside. Is an RFA this year and likely looking for a pay increase and possibly a bigger role. Pittsburgh probably isn't in a position to offer both. Try to get him in a cheap deal or offer sheet him at 3.3 would only cost us a 2nd.
That's exactly the type of player the Oilers should be looking at. I would offer Perron+ for him.

Old
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
That's exactly the type of player the Oilers should be looking at. I would offer Perron+ for him.
Yuck. Sutter would be a great third line center, but we've heard this story before with Jordan Staal.

Old
02-11-2014, 07:50 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

'In the days leading up to the Olympic roster freeze, there was growing anticipation Edmonton Oilers center Sam Gagner would be dealt to Los Angeles. TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Pierre LeBrun reported of ongoing negotiations between the two clubs, with Kings left winger Kyle Clifford mentioned as part of the potential return.

The deal failed to materialize, as Oilers management reportedly weren’t willing to absorb part of Gagner’s contract, worth $4.8 million per season. The cap-strapped Kings would have to shed more salary than Clifford’s $1.1 million to make the dollars fit. Doing so risks further weakening their depth.'

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ru...aded-to-kings/

Edit: The Kings have since put Fraser on waivers and it has been speculated that it was a salary dump...

Old
02-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Yuck. Sutter would be a great third line center, but we've heard this story before with Jordan Staal.
The Oilers don't need another RNH in my opinion. All they needs is a guy with a little size that can skate and distribute the puck to his wingers. Is Sutter that guy? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:03 PM
SupremeTeam16

Quote:

I wouldn't do Perron alone for him as there is a good chance he is just an outstanding 3rd line C and wouldn't be able to put it all together to put up enough points to be a good 2C. But if we can take advantage of the fact that Pittsburgh can't give him much more money or many more minutes and we can pull the trigger on a good deal for him I would be all for it.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:06 PM
Toydarian

It seems like any Gagner trade is going to return very little value. If that's the case, why trade him? We're just going to end up with another Smid-like trade and everyone will be scratching their heads, looking for the "next move" that'll never come.

This team needs changes, but giving away players for nothing isn't the way to do it.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:12 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
It seems like any Gagner trade is going to return very little value. If that's the case, why trade him? We're just going to end up with another Smid-like trade and everyone will be scratching their heads, looking for the "next move" that'll never come.

This team needs changes, but giving away players for nothing isn't the way to do it.
Yeah, plus he'll have more value in the summer when the cap goes up if we want to deal him. We're in no rush.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:31 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Yeah, plus he'll have more value in the summer when the cap goes up if we want to deal him. We're in no rush.
With Gagner's obvious weaknesses. I think he actually has more value now with the desperation of the stretch run and the playoffs (and realizing now they are desperate for immediate offense teams might over look some of those weaknesses) rather than this Summer when GMs are in team building mode.

I think in that mode Gagner and his contract get less attractive when teams have more space with the cap going up, way more teams in position to trade on salary in trades, it becomes less of a sellers market, GMs will be looking toward free agency to fill some holes. Plus if it drags on too long his NTC kicks in and maybe he is only willing to waive to go to say 2 teams, then you are forced unfortunately to keep him or be held over a barrel as those waive teams will find out the Oil have zero leverage / choices. I hope they push hard to ship him out by the trade deadline, his value only goes down from here.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:35 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
The Oilers don't need another RNH in my opinion. All they needs is a guy with a little size that can skate and distribute the puck to his wingers. Is Sutter that guy? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.
Sutter is being outscored by our nearly 38 year old 4th line center. We don't need much offense out of our 2C, but we could definitely do with more than that

Closed Thread