HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we really think the problem is?

View Poll Results: What are your top 3 problems this year? *PLEASE CHOOSE ONLY 3*
Lack of a #1 centreman 33 40.24%
Poor Coaching from Craig MacTavish 49 59.76%
Ryan Smyth's poor play this year 9 10.98%
The Mike Comrie Trade 16 19.51%
The Heritage Classic 4 4.88%
Poor goaltending 46 56.10%
Poor managerial decisions from Kevin Lowe 8 9.76%
An overall lack of talent 19 23.17%
Lack of a #1 defenseman 9 10.98%
Craig Simpson 5 6.10%
The team is too young 22 26.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2004, 05:33 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
What do we really think the problem is?

It seems that the one thing everyone can agree about is a disagreement amongst people here on what the problem is. Some say coaching, others goaltending, others still lack of a centreman. Some a poor GM, some Craig Simpson, some Ryan Smyth. There is probobly one guy in Edmonton who secretely still blames Lanny McDonald for everything not quite right with the Oilers.

So I decided to make this poll. Rather than just having one choice, I've put up quite a few. Here's the deal: ONLY VOTE FOR 3 OF THESE CHOICES . Only vote for the 3 choices here you think are the top 3 reasons for the Oilers poor play this year. Hopefully this will give us a better understanding of what exactly the fans feel is the problem.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:34 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
It seems that the one thing everyone can agree about is a disagreement amongst people here on what the problem is. Some say coaching, others goaltending, others still lack of a centreman. Some a poor GM, some Craig Simpson, some Ryan Smyth. There is probobly one guy in Edmonton who secretely still blames Lanny McDonald for everything not quite right with the Oilers.

So I decided to make this poll. Rather than just having one choice, I've put up quite a few. Here's the deal: ONLY VOTE FOR 3 OF THESE CHOICES . Only vote for the 3 choices here you think are the top 3 reasons for the Oilers poor play this year. Hopefully this will give us a better understanding of what exactly the fans feel is the problem.
I'll go with options 1,2 and 8

Old
02-01-2004, 05:37 AM
USC Trojans
New Era

lack of an impact player. our only one this season is Ryan Smyth, and he stunk it up this year.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:39 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
1 2 and 6 are my votes with coaching the main factor.

Old
02-01-2004, 05:41 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
I'll go with options 1,2 and 8
Actually 1,2, and 6. I wrote this before the poll was there

Old
02-01-2004, 05:41 AM
FacelessButcher

1,6, and 8 for me

Old
02-01-2004, 05:42 AM
Scorpion88

I would like to add to Option 2. Mac T's undying devotion to making Shawn Horcoff our number one player.

Last edited by Scorpion88: 02-01-2004 at 05:54 AM.
Old
02-01-2004, 05:47 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion88
I would like to add to Option 2. Mac T's undying devotion to making Shawn Horcoff our number player.
I can't wait to hear LMHF#1 ***** out Horcoff. I've found that annoying and biased in the past, but now I'm going to love every second of it.

Old
02-01-2004, 06:35 AM
woody

overall talent is poor right now. Outside of York who would play on a 1st line on any other team. Maybe Smyth but he's having a poor year. Look at are centers and it tells the whole story.

1st Horcoff
2nd Stoll
3rd Oates
4th Bishal

Not even close to being good enough.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:30 AM
oilforme

8 of the 11 choices go directly back to Lowe.

Hecan be let off for the Heritage classis which I think has had no influence on the year and possibly Ryan Smyth's poor play although you could probably find a way back to Lowe here too. The one point Lowe gets off scott free on is the fact that he didn't hire himself.

Other than that, finding a #1 center was his job (he found Oates),hiring or firing Mactavish or Simpson-Lowe's decisions,Comrie fiasco(mishandled by Lowe on many levels),goaltending (standing pat and counting too much on Cochlin), no #1dman, questionable overall talent (his choices but money a factor) and too much youth (definately Lowe's choice).

Lowe IMO is the main problem the Oilers have.

Old
02-01-2004, 08:05 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilforme
8 of the 11 choices go directly back to Lowe.
Agreed.

I think the crux of the problem is that within the span of a few months Lowe dealt/lost Comrie, Marchant, Ninimaa, and Carter and the only real "impact" player he got back was Raffi Torres. Now that's not to say Isbister and Dvorak have been complete scrubs but the dropoff is clear. Add to that some highly questionable coaching and the failure of certain young players to step it up a notch (Semenov, Brewer), and you have a recipe for disaster.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:46 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
no i don't blame Lowe for this. Is it his fault MacT can't coach, is it his fault and up to a point MacT's fault the frigging players just quit?

Lowe built the club - yes, Lowe is responsible for the players being there - yes. On paper we look like a shoe in for the playoffs - yes, did this happen - hell no but thats not Lowe he signed players to address issues on the limited resources of what we have, we lost Comrie but who's to stay that he could have stayed anyway your being naive pinning that one on Lowe.

I don't blame Lowe for trying to do something to change the outlook of the team he moved Marchant, Niinima and Carter because otherwise we would have lost them, Marchant to UFA, Niiniima to injury and Carter to arbitration. At least he did something and got some real help back in Torres and Dvorak.

Personally i voted Coaching, Smyth's poor play and because it had to be three the team is too young.

This team lacks accountability. and thats the crux of the whole problem right there, Dougie wouldn't have let this happen but between MacT, Smith and Smyth i suppose its not a big thing.

Old
02-01-2004, 10:54 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
On paper we look like a shoe in for the playoffs
That's highly debatable.

Old
02-01-2004, 02:59 PM
mrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan

Personally i voted Coaching, Smyth's poor play and because it had to be three the team is too young.
why do people blame the youth for our season? a good coach would find a way to win and get the youngsters motivated and know how to use them, in the other hand mact doesnt. he just uses horcoff over and over again. i dont know the avg age of every team, but im sure there are teams just as young who are doing much better than us.

Old
02-01-2004, 03:23 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
well accountability wasn't there and to be honest that would be my third choice and here is why.

lack of a number #1 centre - key example look at LA who are without Allison and something more closer to home Calgary, you seriously want to call Conroy a number #1 centre?
The Mike Comrie trade - thats a poor excuse im sorry but i seem to remember doing ok without him
The Heritage Classic - now this IS arguable up to a point that it put the players on a low which lead to a losing streak that they still haven't recovered from, not THE problem but to me something that just accelerated it
Poor Goaltending - i could have voted for this but here's my reason not to. Yes we have had poor goaltending but we've had just as much bad giveaways and defensive coverage and defensive play that would scare even the best goalies
Poor Managerial Decision - i think i explained this earlier Lowe did try and address the issues i'll give him that and at the time who knew Oates would end up the way he did its a bloody risk, some you win (ulanov) some you lose (oates). However not grabbing a hold of the coaching at this point is debatable, who knows maybe the coaching IS fine?
Overall lack of talent - ahem LA anyone?
Lack of a number one defencemen - change that to lack of a defence and we're talking
Craig Simpson - yup gotta be this, not MacT or the players but its all Craig Simpson....hardly

so to sum it up my real three are:
Coaching
Smyth
Youth

and it all boils down to common sense, lack of tactics, selfishness which incidentally all leads from Accountabiltiy and Leadership. two things that i've always said this club lacks someone to stand up and lead from the front, simply Smith or Smyth haven't done that to the level that Weight did

Old
02-01-2004, 06:31 PM
IceDragoon

IMO - the #1 problem is... lack of leadership/accountability on the ice!!!

Old
02-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Oi'll say!
Go Flames

#1, 2, and 3 were all so good I didn't even have to read the rest.

The Oilers #1 center spot this year has been vacant imo. Who can honestly say they know who our #1 center was in game 6, 12, 20, 31 or 40? It was either Smyth, York, or Oates, you just have to guess. A team should know, the fans should know, when that spot is in turmoil the team is rudderless.

Smyth has 13 goals and 16 assists for 29 points, a certain sophomore winger has more goals than that. He plays like his icetime is money in the bank, conserves just a bit too much energy when he knows he won't win a race etc... The Oil can afford two or three players at the level of salary Ryan is making, and they need to put in more effort and be more effective than Ryan was this season.

MacT is done here as far as I'm concerned. This team is overcoached to the extreme and rife with favoritism. When players know that they're on the way down to the third line or the pb after one bad giveaway or a couple bad shifts it just destroys their confidence. On the flipside, certain players get a free ride at their position regardless of how poorly they play. A new coach is higher on the priority list than using our two first round picks next season.

Closed Thread