HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumor Thread 3.0: Gagner fit for a King?

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2014, 08:43 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
What do people see in Muzzin? He's a LH shot playing on a damn good team with a damn good player in Doughty. Not only do we have Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Ference, Musil, Gernat as LH defenseman in the depth chart, but he wouldn't be nearly the player he is right now on our team. That would be a brutal trade, worse than Clifford.
Well he can contribute now. Most of those players you listed aren't able to help the Oilers at them moment and rushing them along might hurt them. Muzzin is a good example of bringing players along the right way.

Here's a good article about why he'd be a good fit for the Oilers http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=57359

Old
02-11-2014, 08:46 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Especially with how development goes. Lander was drafted to be a middle 6 center. Now we're just hoping he can be a 3rd line center (that said, maybe we shouldn't be writing him off as the #2C either given he's a shutdown center who's over a PPG in the AHL at 22, and is once again, captain of his team)
I don't give up on Euro's until they are like 25. Look at Datsyuk.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
What do people see in Muzzin? He's a LH shot playing on a damn good team with a damn good player in Doughty. Not only do we have Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Ference, Musil, Gernat as LH defenseman in the depth chart, but he wouldn't be nearly the player he is right now on our team. That would be a brutal trade, worse than Clifford.
I am not that interested in Muzzin either. But then, I think they should hold on to Gagner until the draft. No team will move the kind of d-man the Oilers need to get as a return before the playoffs.

I think some people like the Clifford/Muzzin return because they are not Sam Gagner.

Last edited by s7ark: 02-11-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
02-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

We should be trying to acquire Darryl or Brent Sutter.

Old
02-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Wait till draft. Ekblad is taken. Gagner + 1st 2014 + 1sts 2015-2025 for Sidney Crosby

Old
02-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
With Gagner's obvious weaknesses. I think he actually has more value now with the desperation of the stretch run and the playoffs (and realizing now they are desperate for immediate offense teams might over look some of those weaknesses) rather than this Summer when GMs are in team building mode.

I think in that mode Gagner and his contract get less attractive when teams have more space with the cap going up, way more teams in position to trade on salary in trades, it becomes less of a sellers market, GMs will be looking toward free agency to fill some holes. Plus if it drags on too long his NTC kicks in and maybe he is only willing to waive to go to say 2 teams, then you are forced unfortunately to keep him or be held over a barrel as those waive teams will find out the Oil have zero leverage / choices. I hope they push hard to ship him out by the trade deadline, his value only goes down from here.
I dont think so. At the trade deadline, no-one is going to trade away a useful NHL player if they are heading to the playoffs, and thats what we need. I think we can find a better trading partner in the early summer before his NMC kicks in July 1. We need a trade with someone who has too many grinders and not enough skill. There were 25 players traded last year before July 1st, so there is always a mini-flurry before the 1st.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

'The Ducks are looking to make some moves after last season's shortened lockout year, where they finished with the No. 2 Seed, but got a shocking upset by the hands of their rivals the Detroit Red Wings. Anaheim wants to make sure that something like that does not happen again…'

'Hiller, Andersen, Viktor Fasth and John Gibson are the four goalies that are in the Ducks' system. There is no doubt that there will be a team picking up the phone and looking to acquire a solid goaltender. I think the Ducks could get a great deal by packaging one of the goaltenders. We all know Hiller will not be going anywhere, but there could be interest in Andersen, Fasth or even the young player Gibson.

Look for the Ducks to use one as trade bait to hopefully get a solid player for the playoffs...'

'Luca Sbisa was a solid player for the Ducks back in the 2011-12 season, but has since fallen off the radar. He should go to a team that could use him in defensive packages, as his defense is quite solid. There might be a lot of teams willing to bite, but if they can trade him, they can possibly make the next deal possible...'

http://www.rantsports.com/nhl/2014/0...BwIcob07FCo.99

Old
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

'And with the Islanders certainly playing the role of “sellers” at the March 5th trade deadline, it’s reasonable to think that Grabner could potentially be on the move.

It’s already been speculated and lightly reported by others that there were potential other additions to pending free agent Thomas Vanek in trade talks, and there’s certainly reason to think Michael Grabner could be that added chip'

http://eyesonisles.com/2014/02/11/sh...rabner-traded/

Old
02-11-2014, 10:43 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Hmm I wonder if Tavares is available.

Would Gagner + do it?

Old
02-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post

Would Gagner + do it?
I would say no chance of them trading him. If the + is Yakupov or Eberle they might not hang up the phone at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
I dont think so. At the trade deadline, no-one is going to trade away a useful NHL player if they are heading to the playoffs, and thats what we need. I think we can find a better trading partner in the early summer before his NMC kicks in July 1. We need a trade with someone who has too many grinders and not enough skill. There were 25 players traded last year before July 1st, so there is always a mini-flurry before the 1st.
Like the Kings with Clifford, that seems to fit the above description. But I agree with the return a bottom six guy and maybe prospect or pick if we are lucky. But if the Oil do not eat part of Gagner's ugly contract then forget about the pick/prospect, a big physical bottom six guy is about all one could hope for IMO. I still think Gags probably has a little less value after the season.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:44 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Gagner + Hemsky is my final offer

Old
02-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonmuscle360 View Post
I don't give up on Euro's until they are like 25. Look at Datsyuk.
Very true.

Lander's being brought along slowly and steadily. I'm loving how well he is doing with the Barons. Excellent sign for the Oilers.
I just hope that they get to a point where they can let Klefbom, Nurse, Gernat, Moroz, Brossoit, Slepyshev, Zharkov, Musil and Yakimov develop at the rate they need to.
Clearly something is going right in Oklahoma.

I just hope that Edmonton can get some defenders who allow them to make it to the playoffs soon. It's painful without them and this losing culture needs to go.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:53 PM
obglim

I say trade everyone for picks at the deadline, then trade all those picks for actual players at the draft. Buy low both ways.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Craig MacAtaracts
Visually...

vCash: 855
Did that Mayor guy say anything about Hudson Fasching being off limits in a Gagner trade? If he's not, he's a prospect I'd like to see them target, assuming that that Clifford+ trade actually does go down.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:33 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

Would Gagner + do it?
This is a joke right?

Old
02-12-2014, 12:40 AM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I would say no chance of them trading him. If the + is Yakupov or Eberle they might not hang up the phone at least.

Like the Kings with Clifford, that seems to fit the above description. But I agree with the return a bottom six guy and maybe prospect or pick if we are lucky. But if the Oil do not eat part of Gagner's ugly contract then forget about the pick/prospect, a big physical bottom six guy is about all one could hope for IMO. I still think Gags probably has a little less value after the season.
If Clifford is the best we can get I would keep Gagner

Old
02-12-2014, 12:55 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
If Clifford is the best we can get I would keep Gagner
The return has been rumored as Clifford+. So I'm thinking its Clifford+Muzzin. If we look at that deal this is how our roster shakes out after.

Hall-RNH-Yakupov
Perron-Arcobello-Eberle
Clifford-Gordon-Hendricks
Gazdic-Smyth-Jones

Muzzin-Petry
Ference-Schultz
Marincin-Potter?
Belov

If we can sign a good RHD going into next summer to pair with Muzzin our D looks very respectable if thats the deal. Something like:

Muzzin-Morris
Ference-Schultz
Marincin-Petry

Damn that would be a huge upgrade to what we started the year with this year. You'd have to think by signing one shut down Dman and a semi decent center like Legwand, Grabovski, Goc, etc... we'd be in contention for a wild card spot after the deal.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:35 AM
vespa99

Quote:

Would Gagner + do it?
Please dont poke the Isles fans, you may wake them up and they will descend on this tread like locusts to educate us all about how Tavares is the best hockey player that ever lived

Old
02-12-2014, 01:43 AM
40oz

Quote:

Would Gagner + do it?
Ugggh, the last thing this team needs is to get even younger and more inexperienced!

Old
02-12-2014, 01:47 AM
vespa99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Ugggh, the last thing this team needs is to get even younger and more inexperienced!
Now you have done it. They will be here any minute. (shuts off computer and hides in closet shaking)

Old
02-12-2014, 02:16 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Sutter is being outscored by our nearly 38 year old 4th line center. We don't need much offense out of our 2C, but we could definitely do with more than that
I would be all over Brandon Sutter for Gagner. Sure, he won't score as many points as Gagner over the years, but he probably won't cost the team as many, either. The kid is big, strong, skates well, and has some decent hands. And he already plays many of the hard minutes for the Pens, just like he did for the Hurricanes. He's never been given prime offensive opportunities, which he probably would be here. Plus, he's cut from the Sutter mold, so that's a bonus. I'd certainly take him over Richards at this point in time, that's for sure.

As for Gagner to LA, I can tell you with some reasonable certainty that the main thing holding the Kings from pulling the trigger is the Oilers wanting 2 of Nolan/King/Clifford (with their preference being Nolan and King but the Kings insisting that Clifford has to be the main piece) and 1 of Zykov/Muzzin/Voynov. The Kings want no part of parting with Voynov, so that's a pipe dream for us and they're pushing their minor leaguers and draft picks in addition to Clifford, which doesn't make any sense to me considering their salary cap concerns.

If I know Oilers management like I think I do, we're gonna end up with Clifford and some minor league salary dumps. That would not be a win for us, imho, short term or long term.

Last edited by 17Kurri: 02-12-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old
02-12-2014, 02:29 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
I would be all over Brandon Sutter for Gagner. Sure, he won't score as many points as Gagner over the years, but he probably won't cost the team as many, either. The kid is big, strong, skates well, and has some decent hands. And he already plays many of the hard minutes for the Pens, just like he did for the Hurricanes. He's never been given prime offensive opportunities, which he probably would be here. Plus, he's cut from the Sutter mold, so that's a bonus. I'd certainly take him over Richards at this point in time, that's for sure.
yeah for sure. I looked at his stats and they aren't terrible. I think his play would elevate as an Oiler by virtue of his size and skills filling such a desperate need. With good linemates he would produce.

He's also a right hand shot, which would fit our center group well. Potential 2C, but still a gamble. I'm not against trying.

Old
02-12-2014, 02:30 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:

As for Gagner to LA, I can tell you with some reasonable certainty that the main thing holding the Kings from pulling the trigger is the Oilers wanting 2 of Nolan/King/Clifford (with their preference being Nolan and King but the Kings insisting that Clifford has to be the main piece) and 1 of Zykov/Muzzin/Voynov. The Kings want no part of parting with Voynov, so that's a pipe dream for us and they're pushing their minor leaguers and draft picks in addition to Clifford, which doesn't make any sense to me considering their salary cap concerns.

If I know Oilers management like I think I do, we're gonna end up with Clifford and some minor league salary dumps. That would not be a win for us, imho, short term or long term.
At the end of the day, this team has a hard time developing players if they can't get someone who is somewhat established in the NHL then getting a prospect for OKC has no reason. The thing about someone like Clifford is would he play that same role here or become deflated like the others and fall out of favor. I would take even if it was just one player (perhaps just Nolan). It doesn't have to be a win for us now or later, what it has to be is not a loss where the team has a player undeveloped or worse yet gone in 2-3 years time.

Old
02-12-2014, 02:37 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
At the end of the day, this team has a hard time developing players if they can't get someone who is somewhat established in the NHL then getting a prospect for OKC has no reason. The thing about someone like Clifford is would he play that same role here or become deflated like the others and fall out of favor. I would take even if it was just one player (perhaps just Nolan). It doesn't have to be a win for us now or later, what it has to be is not a loss where the team has a player undeveloped or worse yet gone in 2-3 years time.
I know there are many people who want Gagner gone for the sake of being gone, but a deal like Clifford for Gagner is not one we're gonna be happy with after this season. If it happens, I'm willing to predict that he will be a bigger minus machine than Gagner is on a per minute basis, which means he will not be here in 2-3 years.

Old
02-12-2014, 03:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
I know there are many people who want Gagner gone for the sake of being gone, but a deal like Clifford for Gagner is not one we're gonna be happy with after this season. If it happens, I'm willing to predict that he will be a bigger minus machine than Gagner is on a per minute basis, which means he will not be here in 2-3 years.
Clifford was in the bottom 5 in +/- in 2 of his 4 seasons (his rookie and sophomore seasons)

Gagner was 2nd last in his rookie year, dead last in his 4th year, led the team in his 5th year, narrowly escaped the bottom 5 in his 6th year, and is 2nd last this year in team +/-.

So tell me why we should expect to see Clifford to be a worse "minus machine" than Gagner?