HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who is the Rangers biggest rival?

Old
02-07-2007, 08:19 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
probably

1. Islanders
2. Devils
3. Flyers

Outside of that there really isn't much.

Boston was certainly a big one for a long time.

Hockey just really doesn't have the passion it once did. Had I been born in 1988 instead of 1978 I don't know if I'd be a hockey fan to tell you the truth.

Sometimes I wonder if I am a fan because it's what I know and it was a huge part of my life/career or if I'm actually a fan of what I'm seeing.
Don't blame ya dude. I became a fan not too long ago...but it was all about passion, physicality, and emotion.

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

1. Islanders
2. Flyers
3. Devils

No way Devils go before Philly. When the Flyers are actually a good team the games against Philly are nuts. Look at last year if you want an example. Rangers/Flyers games had 10 times the intensity that Rangers/Devils games had. Devils have been a good team since the early 90s and they are still treated like a second class rival by Rangers fans. Just go to the Garden and you can see the difference.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Islanders
Devils
Flyers

Isles will always be #1. I will always hate them most, but #2 and 3 can change year to year.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Devils
Isles
Philly

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:17 AM
ThisYearsModel

Their biggest rival is reality.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 08:25 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
1) Consistency
2) Playoffs
Indeed....

As for a more serious reply, I actually put dirty, above the Islanders. Can't stand them, and I hope the Islanders beat them in the playoffs.

Actually now that I think about it I'd like to take Gionta, Gomez, Langenbrunner, Brodeur, Panndolfo, Chico, and Doc and flush them all down the toliet.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:14 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfn09 View Post
I HATE HATE HATE HATE the sabres. Islanders definitely number one, but in my opinion sabres are very close.
Why?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
mucker*

1) Islanders
2) Flyers
3) Devils

after that it's really a signficant dropoff
TOR/MON

Questions
I think we have three big rivals, with the Isles and Flyers being much bigger than NJ.

1) I understand we used to be rivals with BOS, however isn't that rivalarly gone since they are not in the same division?

2) Why do some of you mention the Caps, they aren't a rival. Their fans may not like us, only due to us invading their arena. Not really a reason to be rivals.

3) PIT? They are not a rival, no way.

Old
02-08-2007, 12:19 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
1. Islanders
2. Flyers
3. Devils

No way Devils go before Philly. When the Flyers are actually a good team the games against Philly are nuts. Look at last year if you want an example. Rangers/Flyers games had 10 times the intensity that Rangers/Devils games had. Devils have been a good team since the early 90s and they are still treated like a second class rival by Rangers fans. Just go to the Garden and you can see the difference.
1) What exactly do you mean go to the Garden?

2) Do the Flyers bring a lot more fans than the Devils?
Compare when the Flyers come to MSG vs. the Devils.
Who brings more fans, how much more do the Flyers bring, and how much more obnoxious are they?

3) When the Rangers go into Philly, how is that atomosphere?
Do we bring a lot of fans like we do into NJ?

Old
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
MrAlfie

overall id say its:

1.Isles
2.Devils
3.Flyers
4.Pittsburgh

for me personally its

1.Devils
2.Isles
3.Flyers
4.Buffalo
5.Pittsburgh

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:13 PM
Jackson Ranger

I notice some posters saying how the Isles and Flyers are bigger rivals and I can understand your point to a degree because I disliked these teams very much back in the 70's and 80's.

But one reason why I put the Devils number 1 is because we have had to watch the Devils, without a tremendous amount of turnover, for the past 12-13 years beat us consistently. For example, Brodeur has been with them since 1993. Brylin (and to a degree, Dowd) since 1995. Elias and Pandolfo since 97. Madden since 99. Heck, Langenbrunner came in 2001. There are no Rangers players leftover from the 2001 team (and the only one in the organization is Purinton)!

I guess if Clarke, Kelly, Linesman, Trottier, Smith and Bossy were still with the Flyers and Islanders, they would be 1 and 2. But they're not, they're more like the Rangers with a lot of turnover and it's hard to develop any animosity with turnover within an organ-eye-zation.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Edge

I think Jackson just made a strong argument for the Devils there and upon further thought I think he's probably right.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Anyone who goes to The Garden regularly knows that the level of anticipation and excitement is always a couple of notches higher on Islander game nights. I was amazed over the last 10 years when the Islanders were down how much this still held true. And even as good as the Devils have been, it just never seems to be that the place is as juiced when they play. Isles #1, Flyers #2, Devils #3.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:33 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Anyone who goes to The Garden regularly knows that the level of anticipation and excitement is always a couple of notches higher on Islander game nights. I was amazed over the last 10 years when the Islanders were down how much this still held true. And even as good as the Devils have been, it just never seems to be that the place is as juiced when they play. Isles #1, Flyers #2, Devils #3.
Very well said....completely agree. Oh and MUCKER...

by go to the Garden...he means GO TO THE GARDEN. There are always tons of Flyer fans...there are tons of fights in the crowd...the crowd is absolutley electric. Do we bring tons of fans to Philly? Of course. Bottom line is there is not the same hatred between NYR-NJ as there is between NYR-Philly

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Richard Park 10

Islander fan chiming in here. I am 26 now, maybe maturing in my post adolscent/college years...

Anyways, I grew up HATING the rangers. The lockout did me in though. I think as hockey fans we need each other to survive. So I respect a good, intellegent hockey fan, and if that fan happens to root for the Rangers, all the power to you because if you have the same passion for the sport that I do, we share a lot in common because no sport comes close to hockey.

Maybe its the absence of the Barnaby's, Sandras and Theo's. Welcome Mr. Avery, however.

What I do hate though is the Ranger fans who call the fan demanding they sell the farm for Forsberg etc... Havent they learned their lesson?

Richard Park 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadge1 View Post
Islander fan chiming in here. I am 26 now, maybe maturing in my post adolscent/college years...

Anyways, I grew up HATING the rangers. The lockout did me in though. I think as hockey fans we need each other to survive. So I respect a good, intellegent hockey fan, and if that fan happens to root for the Rangers, all the power to you because if you have the same passion for the sport that I do, we share a lot in common because no sport comes close to hockey.

Maybe its the absence of the Barnaby's, Sandras and Theo's. Welcome Mr. Avery, however.

What I do hate though is the Ranger fans who call the fan demanding they sell the farm for Forsberg etc... Havent they learned their lesson?
I think the Rangers-Isles rivalry have lost some juice becasue, by and large, historically one team has been up and one team has been down. In recent years, it's been mediocre team against mediocre team (failing that, bad team against bad team).

02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
In The Flesh

I hate the Devils and the Flyers more than anything!!! The Isles, for some reason I just don't mind them, I definatly don't root for them in anyway but, I just think maybe compition wise, I think the Rangers compete with the devils the most. Flyers I hate the most, but since they suck this year, its the devils.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:48 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
I hate the Devils and the Flyers more than anything!!! The Isles, for some reason I just don't mind them, I definatly don't root for them in anyway but, I just think maybe compition wise, I think the Rangers compete with the devils the most. Flyers I hate the most, but since they suck this year, its the devils.
You're probably a lot younger than me. The Islander rivalry has been there since the Islanders were first formed in 1972 (and forced my beloved Long Island Ducks out of buisiness) and became a war in 1975. It has never really changed for us old-timers. The Flyer-Ranger rivalry really took hold around the same time. I understand how a younger person might feel that way about the Devils but it would never replace the Islanders or Flyers for me.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
1. Isles
2. Debbies
3. Flyers

I actually pull for the Isles, my father is a lifelong fan and I like to see them do well (except against us). I do recognize the general hatred of that franchise by most Rangers fans and vice versa. Devils are only our rival because they are so much better than us always. If they sucked every year, no one would care about them. And the Flyers, well, **** that ****hole known as Philadelphia.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:56 AM
mucker*

If I understand this correctly the Islanders and Flyers are bigger rivals than the Devils, and both bring more fans to the Garden?

Isn't it odd that we talk about old time hockey yet the Bruins Rangers rivalarly from all accounts on here isn't a big deal?
I suppose it did fall apart with the reformatting of divisions?

Old
02-10-2007, 08:12 AM
Blueshirt Yankee

If you grew up as a Blueshirt fan in Jersey, then it is the Devils who are the #1 rival. If you grew up in NY State, then the Islanders are your #1 rival. IMO, it depends on geographical location. Since I grew up in Jersey, and witnessed the 92, 94, and 97 playoffs first hand, then the Devils are #1.

1 - NJD
2 - NYI
3 - PHL

and as a Yankees fan, I do wish the Rangers had a rivalry with the Boston Bruins!

Blueshirt Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote