HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2014, 11:12 PM
connor macdavid
Press Box Rat

vCash: 400
Lost a game 8-3 against the second-worst team in our league (we're, naturally, the worst).

My defense hung me out to dry, and we're objectively responsible for seven of the eight goals.

The good news? I'm playing Junior C for the rest of the season, if you consider that an upgrade.

Old
02-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Glad to hear you're okay Ozz. That sucks.

Old
02-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
I'm part of their "Special Ops" group so i ordered the one they're coming out with next. "The Nasty" i believe is what it's called. 66 in, RH, 80 flex, P88 curve 5.5 lie, Matte finish.

What's the selling point on that stick?

I see that they offer the Super Natural in intermediate shafts and also have an E28 clone now. Very tempting. Need to get rid of a few sticks though first, I have what seems like 10 of them right now.

Old
02-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Ozz

Thanks guys. My neck feels better this morning than it did yesterday evening, so that's a good sign! My friend is still feeling OK as well. Hopefully the insurance co. doesn't take too long to get things going, then it's just a bit of money to get back to normal.

Old
02-10-2014, 02:09 PM
HanzalSoHotRightNow

Am still coming to terms with the fact I played my last ever competitive game ever...A loss in the High School state championship game. Came from behind to tie it up in the third and then the other team scored after the puck took a really unlucky bounce and they got an empty netter. Heartbreaker.

Old
02-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
What's the selling point on that stick?

I see that they offer the Super Natural in intermediate shafts and also have an E28 clone now. Very tempting. Need to get rid of a few sticks though first, I have what seems like 10 of them right now.
After shipping I think it ended up at around $160. $137 before. Splurged a bit for my birthday.

Old
02-10-2014, 06:29 PM
ciscomorales

Well yesterday

I got to play in my first officiated game, ate boards in my first game and backhanded a rebound in my first game for a goal. Man I wish I had started playing before my 40s.

Old
02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
damack

I did my second stick and puck session ever today. I felt like my comfort level skating with the puck improved over 50% from the first time. Had a 12 year old kid take me through his hockey team drills, too much fun! I wish I could do this every day. Unfortunately for people with daytime jobs, stick and puck sessions are pretty much impossible around here.

Old
02-11-2014, 02:16 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damack View Post
Unfortunately for people with daytime jobs, stick and puck sessions are pretty much impossible around here.
I hear you. We have multiple roller and ice rinks around here and none of them have a stick time that happens outside of standard adult working hours, except for one which isn't too convenient for me (and even at 7AM the ice is completely packed). I even emailed all of those nearby asking if they would consider introducing such a time, but none of them really addressed the issue, outside of one saying 'if one of the rinks is free, you can come down and do stick time', which seems like a tall order considering how busy it is.

Old
02-11-2014, 09:25 AM
Nibbler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscomorales View Post
I got to play in my first officiated game, ate boards in my first game and backhanded a rebound in my first game for a goal. Man I wish I had started playing before my 40s.
Woo! Congrats!

Old
02-11-2014, 10:36 AM
stamkosisboss

Got tripped up while I was going in for a rush in last nights games. Went foot first into the boards and messed up my left leg pretty badly, i managed to finish the game but i couldn't really push off the left leg and could only pivot and stop on the right.
Really puts into perspective how insane it is that some of these NHL'ers play with broken toes and such, absolutely insane pain threshold

Old
02-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscomorales View Post
Mad props!

Old
02-11-2014, 11:14 PM
Trl3789

Scored again last night. That makes it 6 goals in my last four games. I don't know if its primarily right place right time, but I almost expect to score now and that confidence is really making me better with the puck on my stick. I used to just panic and throw the puck towards the net, now I find myself looking at the goal and aiming for corners. I'm really starting to feel good about where i am in the offensive zone.

Previous 2 seasons: 4 goals
Last 4 games: 6

Hope it keeps up.

Old
02-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Quote:
Scored again last night. That makes it 6 goals in my last four games. I don't know if its primarily right place right time, but I almost expect to score now and that confidence is really making me better with the puck on my stick. I used to just panic and throw the puck towards the net, now I find myself looking at the goal and aiming for corners. I'm really starting to feel good about where i am in the offensive zone.

Previous 2 seasons: 4 goals
Last 4 games: 6

Hope it keeps up.
See ? That's what I told you. It's almost like something flicked a switch in you to unleash your scoring potential. I hope you can keep it up !

Old
02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
After shipping I think it ended up at around $160. $137 before. Splurged a bit for my birthday.
I meant, what's different about it vs the Natural or Savoy?

Old
02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Trl3789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I meant, what's different about it vs the Natural or Savoy?
Ah sorry. Supposed to be 20 grams lighter than the super natural and has dual-axis kickpoint

Old
02-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nice! Keep us posted.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Onetimersniper28
#ibelieveinsasha

Won 2-0 against a team of goons. Was robbed from point blank range by the goalie in the 3rd period, and hit the post from a tough angle. It's hard to focus on your game when the other team constantly trips you down.

Old
02-14-2014, 12:03 AM
KidRobot

Send a message via AIM to KidRobot
Team is currently in the middle of the pack of extremely balanced mens league. Here's the GF-GA for all 6 teams of the division (don't get me started on how we're playing 15 games against 5 different teams...) 60-57, 55-53, 54-52, 62-61, 45-53. Very very equal league, there's only a handful of standout guys in the whole league.

I myself play a very responsible defensive game with a physical edge (for mens league) always clearing the crease, breaking up 2 on 1's, puck battling in the corner, etc.

Kinda frustrating as I'm probably one of the better offensive players and we're not lighting it up on the other side of the rink on most nights. Trying to make my passes more responsible and my rushes more selective.

Old
02-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Ozz

Last night extended my losing streak to unfathomable numbers. On my two weak/low-tier teams, everyone has stopped trying. No one tries to win a race, no one tries to possess the puck, everything is a giveaway. I frequently score multiple goals a game, but I can't do it every single time. They're relying on me to do so and lately I haven't been able to, and we keep getting whomped.

Old
02-14-2014, 04:22 PM
SillyMe

I have much lower versions of what I did.....expectations at this point are FAR lower!
I was supposed to play PU for the 1st time in many years last weekend, but it fizzled out.....so I went to Stick time again today, but I actually wore all my gear except shoulder pads this time....I haven't suited up since Peewee hockey, and I'm 49 now.....so around 37 years ago.

Felt really good, so good, that when I got back to the house, I wanted to go back out and play, and I was far more aggressive with my skating with all the gear on.

The little things are great for an old guy like me that stopped playing organized Hockey at 12, and stopped skating totally at ~ 15.

I know guys, wtf? right!
I needed to get that done though....let's just say that some of us are a lot easier to please, and it felt really good when a C level player told me that I had nothing to worry about, and that he was very surprised that I hadn't skated or played for that long.
Was supposed to play PU tonight too...but it was cancelled due to it being Valentines Day!

B!*%^es are killin' me!

Old
02-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
I have much lower versions of what I did.....expectations at this point are FAR lower!
I was supposed to play PU for the 1st time in many years last weekend, but it fizzled out.....so I went to Stick time again today, but I actually wore all my gear except shoulder pads this time....I haven't suited up since Peewee hockey, and I'm 49 now.....so around 37 years ago.

Felt really good, so good, that when I got back to the house, I wanted to go back out and play, and I was far more aggressive with my skating with all the gear on.

The little things are great for an old guy like me that stopped playing organized Hockey at 12, and stopped skating totally at ~ 15.

I know guys, wtf? right!
I needed to get that done though....let's just say that some of us are a lot easier to please, and it felt really good when a C level player told me that I had nothing to worry about, and that he was very surprised that I hadn't skated or played for that long.
Was supposed to play PU tonight too...but it was cancelled due to it being Valentines Day!

B!*%^es are killin' me!
Excellent! You've got the itch

You've probably thought about how it would feel to play again a lot. I've noticed if I take a month or 2 off, and don't think about playing at all I come back and skate like garbage, but if I've thought about skating and kept myself in shape mentally I step on the ice and dont feel rusty at all.

Granted 1 or 2 months is nowhere near 30+ years but you get my drift

Old
02-14-2014, 04:34 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Excellent! You've got the itch

You've probably thought about how it would feel to play again a lot. I've noticed if I take a month or 2 off, and don't think about playing at all I come back and skate like garbage, but if I've thought about skating and kept myself in shape mentally I step on the ice and dont feel rusty at all.

Granted 1 or 2 months is nowhere near 30+ years but you get my drift
Yeah, I got a pair of skates around 1.5 months ago, and have skated or did stick time (3 times now) a total of around 8-9 times...I really missed skating/playing, cuz I was a rat as a kid.

So glad I'm getting back into it!

Thanks!

Old
02-14-2014, 05:19 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Last night, finally scored my first of the season . Was racking up the assists and just couldn't bury one... but finally did it last night

Old
02-14-2014, 05:22 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Last night, finally scored my first of the season . Was racking up the assists and just couldn't bury one... but finally did it last night
Awesome!

Closed Thread