HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2014, 10:16 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
With a top 4 pick we can't take Ritchie and hope he turns out
Who do you take at #4 if Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are off the board?

Old
02-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Dal Colle and encourage the Generals to move him back to center.

Old
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
Dal Colle and encourage the Generals to move him back to center.
That's a risky move unless you're sure he can play center in the NHL and with his skating, I'm not sure he'll be able to.

If you look at Dal Colle vs. Ritchie as wingers, I think Ritchie is hands down the easy choice for the Oilers.

Old
02-11-2014, 10:22 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Reinhart got chl player of the week.

Old
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
That's a risky move unless you're sure he can play center in the NHL and with his skating, I'm not sure he'll be able to.

If you look at Dal Colle vs. Ritchie as wingers, I think Ritchie is hands down the easy choice for the Oilers.
I don't necessarily disagree. If Dal Colle's not seen as a center in the NHL, my interest drops substantial from an Oilers perspective. Have to leave the 1st round with a center or Ekblad.

Old
02-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Stu McGregor picked a good game to see in Calgary. Hitmen walloped the Raiders 7-2. Most importantly he got an eyeful of power forward Jake Virtanen who rolled over P.A. with 2 goals and an assist and a sparkling +4. He did it all ways demonstrating his elite shot, powerful skating ability, and physical strength and heavy board play. His second goal was pure beauty breaking down the wing, avoiding a defender in full stride, and unleashing a rocket wrister scoring high slot. Jake now has 35 goals on the season. Stud player.

Draft rival Draisaitl had one assist and -5 for P.A. Result was not good but you notice the size and pretty solid skill set. Solid in the faceoff dot. He has two speeds - a steady coast but a strong acceleration with powerful stride when in full flight. He stapled a Hitmen player with a big hit but for the most part looks like somewhat of a peripheral player which is too bad given his formidable size.

Good vision but had at least one cross ice pass intercepted (by Virtanen no less).

Overall a statement game by Virtanen who was named Hitmen player of the month before the game. Watching this guy game in and game out I see a an elite shooter with great boots with the size and disposition to beat teams with skill or run over with physical play.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:12 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Perlini

Old
02-12-2014, 01:37 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
I'd take Dal Colle, I don't think he will be a center at the NHL level his hockey sense and defensive game aren't there and I've seen him play kind of lazy at times, but he has that pure scorers touch. From what I've seen I'd guess his bottom end at Michael Ryder and his high end at Dany Heatley, this draft doesn't look that strong and I don't see anything else that would pull me away from a potential elite scorer at 4th overall, despite it not being what we need.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:50 AM
17Kurri

vCash: 833
I'd be ok with any of Fluery, Dal Colle, Ritchie, or Virtanen at #4

I prefer Virtanen because, imho, he reminds me of Curtis Lazar, who I'm a huge fan of, and that's exactly the type of player we need more of in our lineup.

Whoever we pick, though, will not be in our lineup next year, but it never hurts knowing you have those guys coming up your ranks.

Last edited by 17Kurri: 02-12-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old
02-12-2014, 09:37 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Draisaitl. A big center like him could be our Kopitar if he reaches his potential, can't pass that up. I think a lot of people have soured on him because of the WJC and his recent slump, but the Oilers desperately need a big center like him. Of course, this is only if the Top 3 are off the board.
We need a center much more than we need another wing even if he is a power forward. They have to come out of this draft with Ekblad or one of the centers IMO.
I wasn't so keen on Nichushkin for this same reason. It was either Monahan or Nurse all the way. Those positions are so much more essential to team success and the more the Oilers stock the cupboards at those positions, the better.

In any event, this draft doesn't seem to be nearly as weak as some are speculating. Maybe there's no MacKinnon or McDavid level talent, but Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett are having terrific years on par with the top players of the previous few drafts and seem to be getting stronger as the year goes on and even the guys after that like Draisaitl (despite the recent slump), Dal Colle, Virtanen and Ritchie are doing very well. It seems like a good draft to be picking anywhere in the top 5 and get players of fairly equal value unlike other drafts when there was a more consensus top 2 or 3. Lots of good options in this draft.

Last edited by CupofOil: 02-12-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old
02-12-2014, 10:58 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Stu McGregor picked a good game to see in Calgary. Hitmen walloped the Raiders 7-2. Most importantly he got an eyeful of power forward Jake Virtanen who rolled over P.A. with 2 goals and an assist and a sparkling +4. He did it all ways demonstrating his elite shot, powerful skating ability, and physical strength and heavy board play. His second goal was pure beauty breaking down the wing, avoiding a defender in full stride, and unleashing a rocket wrister scoring high slot. Jake now has 35 goals on the season. Stud player.

Draft rival Draisaitl had one assist and -5 for P.A. Result was not good but you notice the size and pretty solid skill set. Solid in the faceoff dot. He has two speeds - a steady coast but a strong acceleration with powerful stride when in full flight. He stapled a Hitmen player with a big hit but for the most part looks like somewhat of a peripheral player which is too bad given his formidable size.

Good vision but had at least one cross ice pass intercepted (by Virtanen no less).

Overall a statement game by Virtanen who was named Hitmen player of the month before the game. Watching this guy game in and game out I see a an elite shooter with great boots with the size and disposition to beat teams with skill or run over with physical play.
Stauffer is really hyping Virtanen up which means they're very high on him but do the Oilers need another winger? I know he's got "power winger" written all over him but I believe we gotta build on D and at center 1st

I have a feeling if Buffalo wins the lottery, they're going with a forward 1st...probably Reinhart, who looks unreal at the moment

Ekblad could be ours at #2

Old
02-12-2014, 11:06 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Stauffer is really hyping Virtanen up which means they're very high on him but do the Oilers need another winger? I know he's got "power winger" written all over him but I believe we gotta build on D and at center 1st

I have a feeling if Buffalo wins the lottery, they're going with a forward 1st...probably Reinhart, who looks unreal at the moment

Virtanen sounds almost NHL ready from what Ive read. If he is BPA wed have a log jam at RW. But it would allow for Eberle to be traded for a D (hopefully Josi). If we could swap Gagner for a #2c with two way skill and size, wed have a pretty good second line of Perron-2c-Virtanen

I wouldn't mind Virtanen or Driastail, as both solve our needs

Old
02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Ritchie for me. He might be a bit more boom-bust in terms of his ceiling (there is a chance he only becomes a bottom 6er), but his high end is far more valuable than any of the guys left at 4. Teams just don't trade true power forwards, and if this kid reaches his ceiling he'll be another Lucic.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:23 PM
oilerfan17

Is Ritchie really that much better than Draisaitl though? I realize that drafting for need is consistently seen as a bad thing, but when the difference appears so small, would it not serve the organization better to fill the bigger hole at center?

Old
02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Ritchie seems more like a lesser version of Jamie Benn than Milan Lucic to me. Ritchie is obviously better than Benn was at the same age (Lucic too), but they also had pretty severe and sudden leaps in development that shouldn't be expected out of a prospect.

I still like Dal Colle much better as a prospect and would select him 10 times out of 10 if the choice was between them with our pick. I think their upsides are comparable, but Dal Colle is a far superior skater, and I like his chances of actually achieving it. Dal Colle seems like he has more room to grow into his frame and is already a much better skater. And a big man who can skate and score is much better than just a big man with a big shot IMO. At least in terms of transitioning to the NHL.

I know some people have mentioned Dal Colle having played C in the past, but they're both clear LWs in my opinion.

02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
Is Ritchie really that much better than Draisaitl though? I realize that drafting for need is consistently seen as a bad thing, but when the difference appears so small, would it not serve the organization better to fill the bigger hole at center?
I don't think he's better at all. I would rank those 3:

1. Dal Colle
2. Draisaitl
3. Ritchie

Even if you take into account the value of a C over W

Old
02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Virtanen sounds almost NHL ready from what Ive read. If he is BPA wed have a log jam at RW. But it would allow for Eberle to be traded for a D (hopefully Josi). If we could swap Gagner for a #2c with two way skill and size, wed have a pretty good second line of Perron-2c-Virtanen

I wouldn't mind Virtanen or Driastail, as both solve our needs
Virtanen sounds like he could start on the 3rd line similar to Ladd. No need to rush the guy into top 6 minutes if we don't have to, might even be a nice addition to the 4th line as a grinder/checker who could put up points and play on the 2nd unit PP. Honestly if we fall to 4th I have no clue who to pick as theres such a glut there and I don't see a huge difference from 4 to say 10.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

Taking Virtanen in the top 3 would be moronic, at 4 fine but we have a long ways to go if were going to be picking 4th.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:00 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Ritchie seems more like a lesser version of Jamie Benn than Milan Lucic to me. Ritchie is obviously better than Benn was at the same age (Lucic too), but they also had pretty severe and sudden leaps in development that shouldn't be expected out of a prospect.

I still like Dal Colle much better as a prospect and would select him 10 times out of 10 if the choice was between them with our pick. I think their upsides are comparable, but Dal Colle is a far superior skater, and I like his chances of actually achieving it. Dal Colle seems like he has more room to grow into his frame and is already a much better skater. And a big man who can skate and score is much better than just a big man with a big shot IMO. At least in terms of transitioning to the NHL.

I know some people have mentioned Dal Colle having played C in the past, but they're both clear LWs in my opinion.
I think you might have got some bad info on Dal Colle.

His skating has improved, but it's still probably his biggest weakness. His first step and top speed are fairly average.

Ritchie is definitely the better skater of the two.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:02 PM
rockinghockey

People are over valuing Ritchie because of his size, he lets use a top 4 pick and a player because he might be a Lucic. I am worried because he has had a few concussions and is not playing the way he use to.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:04 PM
SoftDumps

I agree that we likely pick top-3. Seems to be a fairly big drop off after the 3 top guys. Personally, I take a flyer on a guy who could possibly play top-6 center down the road at #4 as we have a tonne of wingers already. Draisatl would be a good pick imo if he works on being a solid 200ft player. His size is a nice plus, but he also needs to use it to grow into a good NHL player.

I really want Ekblad. I think he is suffering from being a dman in the rankings like we've seen with players like Jones. Ekblad has the tools to be a really important piece on this team going forward. Everything you want in a 25 minute guy if he puts it together.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:05 PM
rockinghockey

Why do people want to draft a player and put him in our line up next year? Lets give the player a year or two to develop and grow into their body. Ekblad because of his size is the only one that is probably ready to play next year but we don't have the dmen to insulate him and develop him.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:06 PM
rockinghockey

Read on the HFboards that Calgary really wants Ekblad from this draft. They would probably offer Buffalo a package to switch picks if Buffalo is drafting 1st and Calgary 1st.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Read on the HFboards that Calgary really wants Ekblad from this draft. They would probably offer Buffalo a package to switch picks if Buffalo is drafting 1st and Calgary 1st.
Goodluck with that Calgary. Buff is (likely) going to want Reinhart. If they flip picks with Calgary, assuming the draft goes Buff Edm Cal, then they would likely lose Reinhart to Edmonton.

Would have to be a hell of an add for Calgary to get Buff to give up that pick, in which case it wouldnt be worth it for Calgary. It's not like they'd suffer from picking third and getting a second top 6 C prospect anyways.

Old
02-12-2014, 02:00 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatman View Post
Goodluck with that Calgary. Buff is (likely) going to want Reinhart. If they flip picks with Calgary, assuming the draft goes Buff Edm Cal, then they would likely lose Reinhart to Edmonton.

Would have to be a hell of an add for Calgary to get Buff to give up that pick, in which case it wouldnt be worth it for Calgary. It's not like they'd suffer from picking third and getting a second top 6 C prospect anyways.
With Burkes hard on for size and truclene and subsequent handling of Bartschi, I could see Burke offering their 1st (3rd overall)+ 2nd+ Sven Bartschi to grab Ekblad.

I think Buffalo knows Edmonton wants either Bennett or Ekblad

Closed Thread