HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Lars Eller?

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2014, 08:40 AM
JAVO16

vCash: 500
I like this bullet point format. Makes the issues easy to address separately.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:49 AM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
in 2014
Plekanec is producing at a 40 points pace.
Briere is producing at a 33 points pace
Gionta is producing at a 36 points pace
Eller is producing at a 10 points pace
Bourque is producing at a 20 points pace
Bournival is producing at a 8 points pace
Prust (used in our top 9) is producing at a 20 points pace

and there's people talking about "common sense" when trying to defend the usage of our top 9 forwards ?? really ??
They are all awful no doubt about that.

Specially Gionta.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Let's be honest Sorinth, my opinion hasn't changed. I called DD's bad stretch a bad stretch where he should've been benched even more than 1 game. I wasn't happy with MT's decision to not keep him out longer.

That being said, I knew he was an NHL talent. An ideal offensive player? Obviously not. Look at my post history, I NEVER EVER suggested he's a long term solution.

The difference is I was called a DD supporter or DD fanboy just because I said the obvious: He's an NHL caliber player who can produce good numbers with good minutes.

Conversely, when I call Eller a top 9 forward(not unlike DD) I get called a hater but a flock of followers. Now tell me, if you were in my shoes, who seems overrated and who seems underrated?

If we ignore all 50 DD haters and all 2 DD lovers there would be like 4 people left discussing him.
It goes both ways, I think Eller is the better offensive player and because of that I get labelled a DD hater and Eller fanboy. But I've never said DD isn't an NHL level player.

And guess what it feels like there are 50 DD lovers and only a few Eller fans but it's probably just confirmation bias as we pay more attention to the post/posters that disagree with our point of view then the ones who agree.

Old
02-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Kriss E

Top 9 should be reshuffled. I don't understand how anybody can argue against that when every single playing in it has regressed point wise.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Scriptor

Eller has not benefitted from playing with Galchenyuk. In fact, Galchenyuk has suffered from playing with Eller before AND after Gallagher was promoted to the Desharnais line.

HOLD THE INSULTS AND WAIT FOR THE KICKER!

Until Eller sees playing with Galchenyuk as an opportunity to build on his performances, the two playing together won't amount to much.

While the EGG line was playing together, Eller was using Gallagher as his go-to guy. The success of the line was due to both Gallagher and Galchenyuk bee-lining with speed for centre ice, if not the net. The opposing D had trouble adjusting, early on as the D-box disintegrated with all the congestion down the middle.

However, Eller SEEMED to be snubbing Galchenyuk. Things looked even worse once Gallagher left their line. On the few occasions Eller would decide to pass the puck to Galchenyuk, Galchenyuk would be in low percentage positioning along the boards with an opposing D nearby and nobody in front of the net. Often, it looked like an afterthought because there wasn't another option. Eller SEEMED to ONLY use Galchenyuk as a GIVE and GO target which failed to use Galchenyuk to the best of his abilities. Furthermore, it was NEVER using Galchenyuk as a give and go option on the fly/rush with prospects of the play developing.

While I can't say I know what Eller is thinking, it CERTAINLY SEEMS, IMO, that Eller is looking at Galchenyuk as one of the prime competitors for his eventual role/ice time on the team rather than as an accessory for more ice time and a greater role on this team.

Until that mentality changes, playing the two together will be a massive waste of time. I'd rather believe this is the problem than that the problem is that Eller is weak in the hockey sense department.

As an aside, Eller isn't being harped on for the lack of productivity because he doesn't have ONE COMPLETE SEASON of performance to be measured by and, to his credit, is putting in the physical effort Therrien had asked of him. Unfortunately, despite Eller's ability to maintain the puck in the offensive zone, bugger all is coming of those moments in terms of offensive production.

To the poster that claimed Eller is creating plenty of opportunities for inferior line mates who can't convert what, one would assume, are, according to you, gimme scoring opportunities, you're out in left field or are wearing rose coloured glasses. Of late, especially, Eller is turning over the puck with blind passes into centre ice when nobody is present to receive them. Despite wanting Eller to perform to expectations based on short samples from the past, I can't count how many times I've caught myself saying, "WTF was he thinking!?" or "What the hell was that!?" this season when it comes to Eller's play in the offensive zone.

To be honest, Eller's most consistent play so far in his career -- although not necessarily his most productive play, offensively -- was alongside Moen and AK where a cycling game was at the forefront of their performance, a performance with some secondary scoring as a result but, for long periods of time, a puck possession game in the offensive zone.

My analysis of Eller sees the problem as follows:

Eller, as a C, can enter the offensive zone quite well using his speed and physicality. However, is puck distribution skills, while not horrible, are easily outmatched by others on this team (like Galchenyuk, for example, who could be a potential line mate for Eller).

Eller needs to transpose his strong physical play down deep in the offensive, along the boards in the corner, back towards the net and crease area, higher up between the net and the slot area to become a target for a shot opportunity and to help apply pressure on the opposing D.

If Eller were to accept punishment while using his puck protection skills (good strength of his) in more congested areas with higher percentage of scoring, his production level would become more consistent.

On the positive side:

Eller has learnt to stay physically engaged on a consistent basis
Eller has filled out and learnt to use his physique to protect the puck quite well
Eller is useful defensively as a large C that wins F/Os, especially against opponent's larger Cs
Eller is a hard checking machine that CAN be noticed, even if not scoring

Eller needs to make certain adjustments that include not trying to do it all by himself, better use of his line mates, regardless who they are and, perhaps, get a tan

Old
02-12-2014, 10:20 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Top 9 should be reshuffled. I don't understand how anybody can argue against that when every single playing in it has regressed point wise.
If Pacioretty can take not being with DD without pouting, I would be all for keeping Bourque-DD-Gally together and trying Patches on a line with Plekanec and Gionta. DD and Bourque producing together was probably simple luck, but if they do really develop chemistry, we might have found a way to make Bourque effective (!). I'm sure (some) people would get much more exasperated with Gionta (than they already are) though because every shot he would take would be a shot that Pacioretty did not take for some reason. Eller would get Galchenyuk back. Knowing Therrien though, he'll go back to the old lines and won't give a chance to anything that shown flashes of working.

Talking about pairs, I think that Eller pairs best with Gallagher and not Galchenyuk. Gallagher and Eller really work well together on the cycle and I've often thought that Galchenyuk was adept at taking advantage of that good cycle to put his vision to work and create excellent scoring chances, but was more of an excellent complement to the duo of Eller-Gally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
While I can't say I know what Eller is thinking, it CERTAINLY SEEMS, IMO, that Eller is looking at Galchenyuk as one of the prime competitors for his eventual role/ice time on the team rather than as an accessory for more ice time and a greater role on this team.

Until that mentality changes, playing the two together will be a massive waste of time. I'd rather believe this is the problem than that the problem is that Eller is weak in the hockey sense department.
Do you honestly think that while Eller is the on the ice and trying to score goals/prevent goals, he's actually thinking of all that and going: "Man, I want to produce points to look good, but I don't want that rookie to look too good either ! Better use him as a decoy ! "

Last edited by JAVO16: 02-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old
02-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Eller has not benefitted from playing with Galchenyuk. In fact, Galchenyuk has suffered from playing with Eller before AND after Gallagher was promoted to the Desharnais line.

HOLD THE INSULTS AND WAIT FOR THE KICKER!

Until Eller sees playing with Galchenyuk as an opportunity to build on his performances, the two playing together won't amount to much.

While the EGG line was playing together, Eller was using Gallagher as his go-to guy. The success of the line was due to both Gallagher and Galchenyuk bee-lining with speed for centre ice, if not the net. The opposing D had trouble adjusting, early on as the D-box disintegrated with all the congestion down the middle.

However, Eller SEEMED to be snubbing Galchenyuk. Things looked even worse once Gallagher left their line. On the few occasions Eller would decide to pass the puck to Galchenyuk, Galchenyuk would be in low percentage positioning along the boards with an opposing D nearby and nobody in front of the net. Often, it looked like an afterthought because there wasn't another option. Eller SEEMED to ONLY use Galchenyuk as a GIVE and GO target which failed to use Galchenyuk to the best of his abilities. Furthermore, it was NEVER using Galchenyuk as a give and go option on the fly/rush with prospects of the play developing.
I can't say I noticed this alleged snubbing but a simple explanation is because Galchenyuk is hesitant to use his shot. Galchenyuk definitely tries to be a playmaker more than a sniper. So it makes sense that in the zone you'd give it to the shooter and crash the net and give it to the playmaker for give and go's.

Quote:

Pure BS.

Quote:
To be honest, Eller's most consistent play so far in his career -- although not necessarily his most productive play, offensively -- was alongside Moen and AK where a cycling game was at the forefront of their performance, a performance with some secondary scoring as a result but, for long periods of time, a puck possession game in the offensive zone.
His most consistent play has been without a doubt alongside the Gally's

Quote:
My analysis of Eller sees the problem as follows:

Eller, as a C, can enter the offensive zone quite well using his speed and physicality. However, is puck distribution skills, while not horrible, are easily outmatched by others on this team (like Galchenyuk, for example, who could be a potential line mate for Eller).

Eller needs to transpose his strong physical play down deep in the offensive, along the boards in the corner, back towards the net and crease area, higher up between the net and the slot area to become a target for a shot opportunity and to help apply pressure on the opposing D.

If Eller were to accept punishment while using his puck protection skills (good strength of his) in more congested areas with higher percentage of scoring, his production level would become more consistent.

On the positive side:

Eller has learnt to stay physically engaged on a consistent basis
Eller has filled out and learnt to use his physique to protect the puck quite well
Eller is useful defensively as a large C that wins F/Os, especially against opponent's larger Cs
Eller is a hard checking machine that CAN be noticed, even if not scoring

Eller needs to make certain adjustments that include not trying to do it all by himself, better use of his line mates, regardless who they are and, perhaps, get a tan
The last part is the most relevant, but this is what happens when you put a young offensively gifted player on the bottom lines for long periods of time. They might learn the defensive side of the game but they also learn not to trust their linemates too much. The only way Eller will learn to use his linemates more is if consistently plays with linemates worth using.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:30 AM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
If Pacioretty can take not being with DD without pouting, I would be all for keeping Bourque-DD-Gally together and trying Patches on a line with Plekanec and Gionta. .
Personally with an healthy team my lines would be like that :

Pacman-DD-Bourque
Brière-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Moen-White-Weise
Bournival

I don't think DD and Gallagher can have success together in playoff. It was hard for them last year and will still be hard this year. 2 midgets on the same offensive first line is not a good idea even if one of them is a workaholic in front of the net. Ottawa's big D men had no problem dealing with DD and Galagher in the corners last year so Pacman had to go where he can't score.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
If Pacioretty can take not being with DD without pouting, I would be all for keeping Bourque-DD-Gally together and trying Patches on a line with Plekanec and Gionta. DD and Bourque producing together was probably simple luck, but if they do really develop chemistry, we might have found a way to make Bourque effective (!). I'm sure (some) people would get much more exasperated with Gionta (than they already are) though because every shot he would take would be a shot that Pacioretty did not take for some reason. Eller would get Galchenyuk back. Knowing Therrien though, he'll go back to the old lines and won't give a chance to anything that shown flashes of working.

Talking about pairs, I think that Eller pairs best with Gallagher and not Galchenyuk. Gallagher and Eller really work well together on the cycle and I've often thought that Galchenyuk was adept at taking advantage of that good cycle to put his vision to work and create excellent scoring chances, but was more of an excellent complement to the duo of Eller-Gally.
There's certainly reason to believe Bourque and DD might work well together. Bourque can shoot the puck and creates space, two things that DD needs to create offence. I even think Galchenyuk and DD would work well together. Especially if DD's playmaking would get Chuckie to shoot more.

Eller definetly benefits more from a shooter than a playmaker, so any of Pacioretty/Gallagher/Gionta would work. You'd probably not want to use Patches though since he'd be more useful possession wise alongside Plekanec.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaP View Post

Pacman-DD-Bourque
Brière-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Weise
Bournival

I don't think DD and Gallagher can have success together in playoff. It was hard for them last year and will still be hard this year. 2 midgets on the same offensive first line is not a good idea even if one of them is a workaholic in front of the net. Ottawa's big D men had no problem dealing with DD and Galagher in the corners last year so Pacman had to go where he can't score.
Did you forget Prust?

I'm not sure I'd play Bourque or Briere over Bournival either.

Old
02-12-2014, 11:08 AM
LaP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Did you forget Prust?

I'm not sure I'd play Bourque or Briere over Bournival either.
Yeah i forgot him. JUst put him on the 4th instead of Weise.

I would not play Brière over Bournival but we are stuck we him. First mistake by Bergy.

Old
02-12-2014, 11:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:

Pacman-DD-Bourque
Brière-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Weise
Bournival

I'd go with

Patches-DD-Bourque
Galchenyuk-Pleks-Gallagher
Briere-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Bournival-Prust

Weise and White rotate. I'd try to deal Gionta and move up Prust if that would be a possibility depending on Bergevin which way he will go this trade deadline

Old
02-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:

Pacman-DD-Bourque
Brière-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Weise
Bournival

I'd argue that Ottawa's big dmen had no problem dealing with Patches and DD, rather than DD and Gally. Perimeter players are easily shutout in a tight checking game. I actually felt bad for Gally because his linemates were useless in that series.

The minute he was put back with Galch in game 2 he scored.

I can excuse Patches somewhat because of his dislocated shoulder. I can't excuse DD for his embarrassing playoff performance. But they both have the chance to redeem themselves this year.

Old
02-12-2014, 11:35 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I'd go with

Patches-DD-Bourque
Briere-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Bournival-Prust

Weise and White rotate. I'd try to deal Gionta and move up Prust if that would be a possibility depending on Bergevin which way he will go this trade deadline
I don't think separating Gionta from Plekanec is a really good idea, because none of our other forwards have Gionta's defensive acumen while still being a decent offensive option. In this case, I doubt that either the Eller or Plekanec line could play against the top opposing forwards.

Old
02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
I'd argue that Ottawa's big dmen had no problem dealing with Patches and DD, rather than DD and Gally. Perimeter players are easily shutout in a tight checking game. I actually felt bad for Gally because his linemates were useless in that series.

I can excuse Patches somewhat because of his dislocated shoulder. I can't excuse DD for his embarrassing playoff performance. But they both have the chance to redeem themselves this year.
You can't excuse a playmaker for a bad performance when his primary sniper is for all intent and purpose out of business ?

Old
02-12-2014, 11:56 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
I'd go with

Patches-DD-Bourque
Briere-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Bournival-Prust

What I'd like to see (but never will):

Galchenyuk DD Bourque
Bournival Pleks Gionta (worked well before)
Prust Eller Gallagher (Gallagher has been been taking a real pounding. Prust helps)
Moen White Weisse

Sorry, I just don't see any place for Briere no matter what we are paying him. Bergevin has made a few mistakes, the Briere signing is one. The DD signing is another, but he has picked up his game, for now anyway.

Old
02-12-2014, 11:59 AM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
What I'd like to see (but never will):

Galchenyuk DD Bourque
Bournival Pleks Gionta (worked well before)
Prust Eller Gallagher (Gallagher has been been taking a real pounding. Prust helps)
Moen White Weisse

Sorry, I just don't see any place for Briere no matter what we are paying him. Bergevin has made a few mistakes, the Briere signing is one. The DD signing is another, but he has picked up his game, for now anyway.
Patches gets traded ?

Old
02-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
You can't excuse a playmaker for a bad performance when his primary sniper is for all intent and purpose out of business ?
Chucky scored more goals than him despite being a playmaker and playing with 4th liners. Spare me your excuses.

Old
02-12-2014, 12:50 PM
LaP

Quote:
I'd go with

Patches-DD-Bourque
Briere-Eller-Gionta
Moen-Bournival-Prust

I'd try to deal Gionta too. Specially since i'm sure he has a great value. Respected veterans always have a great value even when they don't play that well (like Rivet couple of years ago).

But we both know the CH wont do it. Got to respect the captn and the vets ...

Old
02-12-2014, 01:10 PM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post

Have to agree, across the line with the last statement. Notice how DD had a bad end to the shortened season, followed by a bad start to this year's regular season. It's not a coincidence. His play WAS peripheral and, in that style, he' s utterly useless.

However, DD has adapted over the last 40 games or so. The clear cut difference between his bad play and his recent play is that, NOW, he enters the zone, for the most part, through centre ice. Beyond that, knowing he isn't as big as the defenders, he seems to have found a second gear, skating-wise. He may not be faster than before but, he seems to slow down before skating hard to catch the opposing Ds flatfooted more often than not. He also is in continuous movement, in and out of dirty areas.

If Desharnais can keep it up come playoff time, he will perform better than in the past during the post season.

I would also like to split the size up along all lines. For that to succeed, someone will have to step up and ASSUME Gallagher's role on that line. It's no picnic and I wonder who would be willing to sacrifice themselves as consistently to get the job done. That player would also have to have the skating abilities and cycling abilities of Gallagher who can turn on a dime to offset his lack of size when battling for the puck.

Count Brière out. Besides, he,s one solid check away from another concussion. I doubt Bourque, who would do it differently than Gallagher, would do it as consistently. Galchenyuk? Not so sure as he still needs to improve how strong he is on the puck. Prust has the grit to take punishment in front of the net but doesn't have the skills at distributing the puck, the speed/mobility or the finishing touch of a Gallagher to generate as much offense. Forget Moen. Please! White also. Weise? Only temporary replacement duties in certain game situations on a top line, at best. Gionta? Perhaps from 3 or 4 years ago when he actually played like Gallagher does now. Parros? Shouldn't even be mentioned anymore in the same breath as The Canadiens. Then, there's Bournival…. who I would love to see play like Gallagher does. He has the tools, sped-wise, hustle-wise, even in terms of perhaps finishing plays but, there's no proof he would pull it off.

Hopefully, The Habs clinch a spot for the playoffs with some time left to experiment a replacement for Gallagher with the Desharnais-Pacioretty pairing.

Ideally, I'd trade for a RW that would fill that spot but, it's a roll of the dice, at best, and that player might not develop the proper chemistry to play with Desharnais and Pacioretty. Still, perhaps a RW we trade for could fit well with Galchenyuk and Eller:

Pacioretty-DD-???/Gallagher/Bournival/Bourque
Bourque/Bournival/Moen/Prust-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher/???
Prust/Bournival-White-Moen/Weise

Enough options -- and I know there's too many up there to be clear -- to align offensive, defensive or two-way, shutdown combinations. It's all about chemistry and, unfortunately, it will be hard to make too many experiments while still hunting for a post season birth. For that, stability will be more important.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:15 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
It goes both ways, I think Eller is the better offensive player and because of that I get labelled a DD hater and Eller fanboy. But I've never said DD isn't an NHL level player.

And guess what it feels like there are 50 DD lovers and only a few Eller fans but it's probably just confirmation bias as we pay more attention to the post/posters that disagree with our point of view then the ones who agree.
If you think Eller is better you are automatically labeled as a Eller fanboy and a DD hater. And if you think DD is not trash and an NHL caliber player you are automatically labeled as a DD fanboy and a Eller hater.
You can't really win
But on that note...50 DD lovers vs a few Eller lover? You are joking? You do realize that DD has ~6500 posts dedicated to the bashing of DD, and well on his way towards 7000? Has had about 7 maxed out threads dedicated to bashing DD? Eller has only this thread heading towards 900. And that is ONLY this year. Forget about last year. Unless you believe those few DD haters has posted 'that' many posts just to rant on DD, the number of DD bash thread alone should give you a fairly good indication that there are many MANY more DD haters than Eller haters.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:21 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:

Pacman-DD-Bourque
Brière-Plekanec-Gionta
Moen-White-Weise
Bournival

Hmm...I actually think those lines are pretty good. Want to keep Gionta with Pleks. Eller with Gally. and the 4th line is pretty solid. So just a matter of where to put Patches (either with DD as usual or with Pleks, and Galch with either Eller or Pleks). Don't remember if Briere has played or can play with Eller or DD though.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:25 PM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Hmm...I actually think those lines are pretty good. Want to keep Gionta with Pleks. Eller with Gally. and the 4th line is pretty solid. So just a matter of where to put Patches (either with DD as usual or with Pleks, and Galch with either Eller or Pleks). Don't remember if Briere has played or can play with Eller or DD though.
Briere has and can't play with DD.

He has been decent with Galch-Eller but I'd rather have Gally there if possible.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:29 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
If you think Eller is better you are automatically labeled as a Eller fanboy and a DD hater. And if you think DD is not trash and an NHL caliber player you are automatically labeled as a DD fanboy and a Eller hater.
You can't really win
But on that note...50 DD lovers vs a few Eller lover? You are joking? You do realize that DD has ~6500 posts dedicated to the bashing of DD, and well on his way towards 7000? Has had about 7 maxed out threads dedicated to bashing DD? Eller has only this thread heading towards 900. And that is ONLY this year. Forget about last year. Unless you believe those few DD haters has posted 'that' many posts just to rant on DD, the number of DD bash thread alone should give you a fairly good indication that there are many MANY more DD haters than Eller haters.
How many of those 6500 posts are bashing him and how many are defending him? How many are actually about Eller or Galchenyuk? How many are bashing Therrien for using him the way he is?

The reason Bourque doesn't have 15 threads bashing him is because everyone agrees he sucks so there's not much to say. DD has lots of threads because he's defended when people bash him.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
this is too funny

Closed Thread