Notices

Thrashers NCAA prospects update

Old
02-06-2007, 12:00 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Thrashers NCAA prospects update

The Thrashers have six forwards and two defensemen in the NCAA, comprised of four seniors, two juniors, one sophomore and one freshman.

Read full article...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 08:58 AM
The Maltais Falcon

Good update, Holly, but one question that begs to be answered (if the Thrashers will answer it at this point) is which of these seniors do they plan on signing?

It's a shame Michael Forney hasn't done more. A lot of people felt he could be a diamond in the rough. It's still way early but given that the main knock against him was that he played against weak high school competition before now, it doesn't give me a lot of hope he'll be able to adjust to the NCAA game.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
Good update, Holly, but one question that begs to be answered (if the Thrashers will answer it at this point) is which of these seniors do they plan on signing?
I'll ask that in June, at which point I'll get a more useful answer, but my bet would be Lewis, Vannelli and Carefoot and not Hamilton.

Forney has had some injury trouble the past two years, but I don't think it accounts for that much of the problem. Scouting HS is very tough, glad I don't have to do it. I taped a Minnesota HS game off one of the FoxSports channels just to check it out but I haven't watched it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
toph2o

I agree, highly doubtful Hamilton gets signed but the other three are pretty solid bets I think. But it might come down to the contract cap again, especially with the number of folks coming out of juniors and hopefully coming across from Europe. I know it's slightly off topic, Holly, but which guys do you see coming out of juniors next year compared to staying for an overage year?

toph2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
which guys do you see coming out of juniors next year compared to staying for an overage year?
Other NHL teams sometimes send guys back to junior for their overage year, but the Thrashers don't make a practice of it. Turple played as an overager last year in the OHL because he was still recovering from an injury. He was drafted at 19 so he didn't have to be signed until last summer. That's the only one I can think of who did play as an overager.

As far as who is coming out, you've got Pavelec, Denny, Pospisil, and Stoesz. Little is a 2006 draftee but he'll come out early because he can (and should). Stoesz, who was traded to the Regina Pats, by the way, could be signed and sent back to junior I guess, due to being pretty unpolished in the skill department. Or, he might not be signed at all.

That was really stream of conciousness there, but I hope it answered your question.

Old
02-08-2007, 05:53 PM
toph2o

That's a lot of bodies to have coming in all at once... by my count 3 NCAA, 4-5 CHL, and 2-4 from Europe (who knows which, but some combination of Zubarev, Enstrom, Gracik, Loginov, Enlund), probably closer to the lower end with the Europeans... that's somewhere between 9 and 12 new bodies to find homes for, sheesh.

Old
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph2o View Post
2-4 from Europe (who knows which, but some combination of Zubarev, Enstrom, Gracik, Loginov, Enlund),
You can cross off Gracik and Loginov. Nothing to see there.

Zubarev and Enstrom yes this year, Enlund would be next year. But don't forget Nikulin as a possibility.

Old
02-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Shameus

Holly with the contract cap what it is, and with all of the guys that could be added next season. Who do you think would be the most likely casualties of the influx of new guys?

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Holly Gunning

Manson for sure, Garnett, then guys like Doell, Schell. Maybe Colin Stuart. Deveaux if he doesn't impress. That's six right there.

Is Niko Kapanen's contract one year?

Last edited by Holly Gunning: 02-08-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: corrected mistake, and then bad math
Old
02-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Gunning View Post
Is Niko Kapanen's contract one year?
No, he is signed thru next season. But thanks for the others and the time.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:46 PM
toph2o

Not sure how many of these guys expire after this year, but I'd think some of the following may/will be on the chopping block in addition to the names already mentioned: Cory Larose, Joey Crabb, Derek MacKenzie, Andy Delmore. Bet the Thrashers wish Adam Smyth didn't have another year left, too.