HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
YouMyBoyBlue

vCash: 500
Hey guys. I'm taking my wife out to a concert in MSG. Any good recommendations on restaurant before concert?

Old
02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
RUSF18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMyBoyBlue View Post
Hey guys. I'm taking my wife out to a concert in MSG. Any good recommendations on restaurant before concert?
Narrowing it down a bit by food type and/or price would be helpful.

Old
02-12-2014, 04:23 PM
YouMyBoyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
Narrowing it down a bit by food type and/or price would be helpful.
Sorry I was vague. Italian or Steakhouse. Max I would do is $40 a plate.

Old
02-12-2014, 04:28 PM
RUSF18

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMyBoyBlue View Post
Sorry I was vague. Italian or Steakhouse. Max I would do is $40 a plate.
Assuming you're talking just entree there, you're at the bottom of what you could pay for a steak at Keens which is close to MSG on 36th between 5th and 6th. It's a great place with a ton of history...you could even just eat at the bar if you're looking for something more casual. They have a nice menu in there.

I'll defer to others on Italian choices as that's not a part of the city I'd usually go to for that type of meal. Enjoy!

Old
02-12-2014, 04:53 PM
YouMyBoyBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
Assuming you're talking just entree there, you're at the bottom of what you could pay for a steak at Keens which is close to MSG on 36th between 5th and 6th. It's a great place with a ton of history...you could even just eat at the bar if you're looking for something more casual. They have a nice menu in there.

I'll defer to others on Italian choices as that's not a part of the city I'd usually go to for that type of meal. Enjoy!
Thank you. I will definitely look into Keens.

Old
02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
pavelich

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatgoes View Post
My apologies if this has been gone through or beaten to death. I'll be working midnight shifts near MSG/ Penn Station throughout the Olympics. Any good spots to watch the 730AM US hockey games? I'll check out the usual places (Flying Puck, Any Pizza joints at Penn...) to see what will be open but any more info would be much appreciated.
just saw on Twitter that Flying Puck will be open for the 7:30 am USA games. might want to call to be sure though

Old
02-15-2014, 01:33 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
just saw on Twitter that Flying Puck will be open for the 7:30 am USA games. might want to call to be sure though
Is the Flying Puck the official USA hockey viewing party headquarters?

Old
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM
The Guppie*
Broadway Blueshirts

Just moved from Toronto back home to Buffalo for work. Pretty stoked to check out NYC again in the coming weeks, it's been a good number of years since I've been. Aside from some of the bigger, obvious tourist locations, any recommendations? Thanks

Last edited by The Guppie*: 02-20-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old
03-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Going to the game Wednesday and was thinking about driving there rather than taking the train. What are parking options like around MSG?

Old
03-03-2014, 11:25 PM
SensForLife11

Hey, is anyone here a STH who wouldn't mind answering a few questions about the perks they get? PM me if so, thanks!

Old
03-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagelin View Post
Going to the game Wednesday and was thinking about driving there rather than taking the train. What are parking options like around MSG?
If you don't mind paying $25-30 bucks, you'll find several garages within a couple of blocks of the arena. Finding parking isn't a concern. Just have to have a tolerance for sitting in traffic.

Old
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensForLife11 View Post
Hey, is anyone here a STH who wouldn't mind answering a few questions about the perks they get? PM me if so, thanks!
perks?

been going down every year. Last year we were extremely fortunate to benefit from a coupon for a free small soda when you bought an over priced hot dog & bag of chips. This offer was so good that they weren't able to offer it this year and now we get zippo

Old
03-04-2014, 01:04 PM
patnyrnyg

Yeah, the perks are few and far between. I used to like getting the media guide for free, but that ended when they stopped printing them. You get a bunch of coupons that aren't great. $1 off a program, $10 off parking (when they charge about $40), so basically stuff that is pretty much worthless.

I do believe you get 10% off the team store, but again, the stuff is so overpriced. Also, I am a very large human, so they rarely have stuff in my size anyway.

The best perk they gave was the 10% off play-off tickets, if you renewed early. Unfortunately, that lasted all of 1 season.

Things like skating sessions, discounts to Wolfpack games are offered.

Old
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Yeah, the perks are few and far between. I used to like getting the media guide for free, but that ended when they stopped printing them. You get a bunch of coupons that aren't great. $1 off a program, $10 off parking (when they charge about $40), so basically stuff that is pretty much worthless.

I do believe you get 10% off the team store, but again, the stuff is so overpriced. Also, I am a very large human, so they rarely have stuff in my size anyway.

The best perk they gave was the 10% off play-off tickets, if you renewed early. Unfortunately, that lasted all of 1 season.

It actually ranges from 15% to 25% depending on how long you've had your tickets for the team store discount. Our tickets just hit 30 years this year so we're up to 25 now.

03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Not only is the parking coupon only valid towards $40 lots, but street parking is usually free and plentiful at Ranger games.

The skating session used to be included, now you only get it if you renew with a specific kind of credit card. That effectively means they are no longer giving away any sort of signed memorabilia.

The team store discount ranges from 15% to 25% depending on your tenure. It's only useful when they have a clearance sale, but then I'm not sure if you can use the STH discount lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post

Old
03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Not only is the parking coupon only valid towards $40 lots, but street parking is usually free and plentiful at Ranger games.

The skating session used to be included, now you only get it if you renew with a specific kind of credit card. That effectively means they are no longer giving away any sort of signed memorabilia.

The team store discount ranges from 15% to 25% depending on your tenure. It's only useful when they have a clearance sale, but then I'm not sure if you can use the STH discount lol
You can't use it with other deals and discounts so it's only off regularly priced merchandise. Comes in handy when you need a jersey though because it's actually cheaper than anywhere else you'd order from.

Old
03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
You can't use it with other deals and discounts so it's only off regularly priced merchandise. Comes in handy when you need a jersey though because it's actually cheaper than anywhere else you'd order from.
next time I need a jersey I'm going to hit you up

Old
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:

Yes, on the east side below 31st street, parking free after 6. Not sure on West side. 32nd and up, believe it is free after 7. Park 32nd or north, park and run.

Old
03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Hi All,

I just moved to NYC and want to get back into playing hockey. I used to play in Boston every week, and I want to get back into it down here. Really the only men's league I've seen is at Chelsea Piers. Is that my best bet? I want to start this Summer, and suggestions from the folks here?

I'm in lower Manhattan with no car, so some place that is accessible by Citi Bike or public transit would be awesome.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!

Old
03-14-2014, 10:49 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Hi All,

I just moved to NYC and want to get back into playing hockey. I used to play in Boston every week, and I want to get back into it down here. Really the only men's league I've seen is at Chelsea Piers. Is that my best bet? I want to start this Summer, and suggestions from the folks here?

I'm in lower Manhattan with no car, so some place that is accessible by Citi Bike or public transit would be awesome.

After games, I drive past Chelsea Piers (take west side hwy to Holland Tunnel). I always see men entering and leaving with hockey bags and sticks. And, buses do run to Chelsea Piers.

Old
03-14-2014, 02:41 PM
Aufheben
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 69
Anyone know a good bar to watch the game in around Canal Street?

Old
03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
You will find nothing remotely of the sort. Day time is knock off Luis Vuiton & Rolex, night time is private poker parties & Mahjong gambling houses

Old
03-14-2014, 03:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Hi All,

Everyone I know who still plays frequently plays at Chelsea.

The 1, C, and E trains will all put you within a couple of blocks.

RANGERS =
Old
03-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
I only know West side, Tribeca Tavern South of Canal between Church and West Broadway or just go to Warren 77 though its a bit further south and pricier.

Quote:
You will find nothing remotely of the sort. Day time is knock off Luis Vuiton & Rolex, night time is private poker parties & Mahjong gambling houses

Old
03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Greasy Sliders

Coming to NYC in May for the first time. Any underrated tourist attractions you'd recommend? (Aside from the major ones)

Also, the Mets play the dodgers when we're there. What are the games/stadium like?

Closed Thread