HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2014, 04:05 PM
  #851
YouMyBoyBlue
Registered User
 
YouMyBoyBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Hey guys. I'm taking my wife out to a concert in MSG. Any good recommendations on restaurant before concert?

YouMyBoyBlue is offline  
Old
02-12-2014, 04:17 PM
  #852
RUSF18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMyBoyBlue View Post
Hey guys. I'm taking my wife out to a concert in MSG. Any good recommendations on restaurant before concert?
Narrowing it down a bit by food type and/or price would be helpful.

RUSF18 is offline  
Old
02-12-2014, 04:23 PM
  #853
YouMyBoyBlue
Registered User
 
YouMyBoyBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
Narrowing it down a bit by food type and/or price would be helpful.
Sorry I was vague. Italian or Steakhouse. Max I would do is $40 a plate.

YouMyBoyBlue is offline  
Old
02-12-2014, 04:28 PM
  #854
RUSF18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 182
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouMyBoyBlue View Post
Sorry I was vague. Italian or Steakhouse. Max I would do is $40 a plate.
Assuming you're talking just entree there, you're at the bottom of what you could pay for a steak at Keens which is close to MSG on 36th between 5th and 6th. It's a great place with a ton of history...you could even just eat at the bar if you're looking for something more casual. They have a nice menu in there.

I'll defer to others on Italian choices as that's not a part of the city I'd usually go to for that type of meal. Enjoy!

RUSF18 is offline  
Old
02-12-2014, 04:53 PM
  #855
YouMyBoyBlue
Registered User
 
YouMyBoyBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSF18 View Post
Assuming you're talking just entree there, you're at the bottom of what you could pay for a steak at Keens which is close to MSG on 36th between 5th and 6th. It's a great place with a ton of history...you could even just eat at the bar if you're looking for something more casual. They have a nice menu in there.

I'll defer to others on Italian choices as that's not a part of the city I'd usually go to for that type of meal. Enjoy!
Thank you. I will definitely look into Keens.

YouMyBoyBlue is offline  
Old
02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
  #856
pavelich
Registered User
 
pavelich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 573
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatgoes View Post
My apologies if this has been gone through or beaten to death. I'll be working midnight shifts near MSG/ Penn Station throughout the Olympics. Any good spots to watch the 730AM US hockey games? I'll check out the usual places (Flying Puck, Any Pizza joints at Penn...) to see what will be open but any more info would be much appreciated.
just saw on Twitter that Flying Puck will be open for the 7:30 am USA games. might want to call to be sure though

pavelich is offline  
Old
02-15-2014, 01:33 AM
  #857
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelich View Post
just saw on Twitter that Flying Puck will be open for the 7:30 am USA games. might want to call to be sure though
Is the Flying Puck the official USA hockey viewing party headquarters?

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
02-20-2014, 11:16 AM
  #858
The Guppie*
Broadway Blueshirts
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Just moved from Toronto back home to Buffalo for work. Pretty stoked to check out NYC again in the coming weeks, it's been a good number of years since I've been. Aside from some of the bigger, obvious tourist locations, any recommendations? Thanks


Last edited by The Guppie*: 02-20-2014 at 04:25 PM.
The Guppie* is offline  
Old
03-02-2014, 03:11 PM
  #859
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny
 
Swagelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Going to the game Wednesday and was thinking about driving there rather than taking the train. What are parking options like around MSG?

Swagelin is offline  
Old
03-03-2014, 11:25 PM
  #860
SensForLife11
Registered User
 
SensForLife11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Hey, is anyone here a STH who wouldn't mind answering a few questions about the perks they get? PM me if so, thanks!

SensForLife11 is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 12:00 AM
  #861
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagelin View Post
Going to the game Wednesday and was thinking about driving there rather than taking the train. What are parking options like around MSG?
If you don't mind paying $25-30 bucks, you'll find several garages within a couple of blocks of the arena. Finding parking isn't a concern. Just have to have a tolerance for sitting in traffic.

Crease is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 10:29 AM
  #862
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensForLife11 View Post
Hey, is anyone here a STH who wouldn't mind answering a few questions about the perks they get? PM me if so, thanks!
perks?

been going down every year. Last year we were extremely fortunate to benefit from a coupon for a free small soda when you bought an over priced hot dog & bag of chips. This offer was so good that they weren't able to offer it this year and now we get zippo

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 01:04 PM
  #863
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,824
vCash: 500
Yeah, the perks are few and far between. I used to like getting the media guide for free, but that ended when they stopped printing them. You get a bunch of coupons that aren't great. $1 off a program, $10 off parking (when they charge about $40), so basically stuff that is pretty much worthless.

I do believe you get 10% off the team store, but again, the stuff is so overpriced. Also, I am a very large human, so they rarely have stuff in my size anyway.

The best perk they gave was the 10% off play-off tickets, if you renewed early. Unfortunately, that lasted all of 1 season.

Things like skating sessions, discounts to Wolfpack games are offered.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 01:33 PM
  #864
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Yeah, the perks are few and far between. I used to like getting the media guide for free, but that ended when they stopped printing them. You get a bunch of coupons that aren't great. $1 off a program, $10 off parking (when they charge about $40), so basically stuff that is pretty much worthless.

I do believe you get 10% off the team store, but again, the stuff is so overpriced. Also, I am a very large human, so they rarely have stuff in my size anyway.

The best perk they gave was the 10% off play-off tickets, if you renewed early. Unfortunately, that lasted all of 1 season.

Things like skating sessions, discounts to Wolfpack games are offered.
It actually ranges from 15% to 25% depending on how long you've had your tickets for the team store discount. Our tickets just hit 30 years this year so we're up to 25 now.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/image.php?u=53946&type=sigpic&dateline=1320361610
NYRFAN218 is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 01:40 PM
  #865
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Not only is the parking coupon only valid towards $40 lots, but street parking is usually free and plentiful at Ranger games.

The skating session used to be included, now you only get it if you renew with a specific kind of credit card. That effectively means they are no longer giving away any sort of signed memorabilia.

The team store discount ranges from 15% to 25% depending on your tenure. It's only useful when they have a clearance sale, but then I'm not sure if you can use the STH discount lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Yeah, the perks are few and far between. I used to like getting the media guide for free, but that ended when they stopped printing them. You get a bunch of coupons that aren't great. $1 off a program, $10 off parking (when they charge about $40), so basically stuff that is pretty much worthless.

I do believe you get 10% off the team store, but again, the stuff is so overpriced. Also, I am a very large human, so they rarely have stuff in my size anyway.

The best perk they gave was the 10% off play-off tickets, if you renewed early. Unfortunately, that lasted all of 1 season.

Things like skating sessions, discounts to Wolfpack games are offered.

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 01:42 PM
  #866
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck
 
NYRFAN218's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,202
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Not only is the parking coupon only valid towards $40 lots, but street parking is usually free and plentiful at Ranger games.

The skating session used to be included, now you only get it if you renew with a specific kind of credit card. That effectively means they are no longer giving away any sort of signed memorabilia.

The team store discount ranges from 15% to 25% depending on your tenure. It's only useful when they have a clearance sale, but then I'm not sure if you can use the STH discount lol
You can't use it with other deals and discounts so it's only off regularly priced merchandise. Comes in handy when you need a jersey though because it's actually cheaper than anywhere else you'd order from.

NYRFAN218 is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 01:45 PM
  #867
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
You can't use it with other deals and discounts so it's only off regularly priced merchandise. Comes in handy when you need a jersey though because it's actually cheaper than anywhere else you'd order from.
next time I need a jersey I'm going to hit you up

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
03-04-2014, 03:48 PM
  #868
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
Not only is the parking coupon only valid towards $40 lots, but street parking is usually free and plentiful at Ranger games.

The skating session used to be included, now you only get it if you renew with a specific kind of credit card. That effectively means they are no longer giving away any sort of signed memorabilia.

The team store discount ranges from 15% to 25% depending on your tenure. It's only useful when they have a clearance sale, but then I'm not sure if you can use the STH discount lol
Yes, on the east side below 31st street, parking free after 6. Not sure on West side. 32nd and up, believe it is free after 7. Park 32nd or north, park and run.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
03-12-2014, 02:38 PM
  #869
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad
 
Boston BROin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 5,441
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Hi All,

I just moved to NYC and want to get back into playing hockey. I used to play in Boston every week, and I want to get back into it down here. Really the only men's league I've seen is at Chelsea Piers. Is that my best bet? I want to start this Summer, and suggestions from the folks here?

I'm in lower Manhattan with no car, so some place that is accessible by Citi Bike or public transit would be awesome.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!

Boston BROin is offline  
Old
03-14-2014, 10:49 AM
  #870
patnyrnyg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Hi All,

I just moved to NYC and want to get back into playing hockey. I used to play in Boston every week, and I want to get back into it down here. Really the only men's league I've seen is at Chelsea Piers. Is that my best bet? I want to start this Summer, and suggestions from the folks here?

I'm in lower Manhattan with no car, so some place that is accessible by Citi Bike or public transit would be awesome.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!
After games, I drive past Chelsea Piers (take west side hwy to Holland Tunnel). I always see men entering and leaving with hockey bags and sticks. And, buses do run to Chelsea Piers.

patnyrnyg is offline  
Old
03-14-2014, 02:41 PM
  #871
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 12,002
vCash: 69
Anyone know a good bar to watch the game in around Canal Street?

__________________

Aufheben is offline  
Old
03-14-2014, 02:54 PM
  #872
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,897
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Anyone know a good bar to watch the game in around Canal Street?
You will find nothing remotely of the sort. Day time is knock off Luis Vuiton & Rolex, night time is private poker parties & Mahjong gambling houses

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
03-14-2014, 03:02 PM
  #873
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Hi All,

I just moved to NYC and want to get back into playing hockey. I used to play in Boston every week, and I want to get back into it down here. Really the only men's league I've seen is at Chelsea Piers. Is that my best bet? I want to start this Summer, and suggestions from the folks here?

I'm in lower Manhattan with no car, so some place that is accessible by Citi Bike or public transit would be awesome.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way!
Everyone I know who still plays frequently plays at Chelsea.

The 1, C, and E trains will all put you within a couple of blocks.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
03-14-2014, 03:44 PM
  #874
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Anyone know a good bar to watch the game in around Canal Street?
I only know West side, Tribeca Tavern South of Canal between Church and West Broadway or just go to Warren 77 though its a bit further south and pricier.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
You will find nothing remotely of the sort. Day time is knock off Luis Vuiton & Rolex, night time is private poker parties & Mahjong gambling houses

Bluenote13 is offline  
Old
03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
  #875
Greasy Sliders
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Coming to NYC in May for the first time. Any underrated tourist attractions you'd recommend? (Aside from the major ones)

Also, the Mets play the dodgers when we're there. What are the games/stadium like?

Greasy Sliders is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.