HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Central Hockey League - The Slow Spin Down the Bowl Continues

Old
02-02-2014, 09:22 AM
GareFan18

vCash: 500
Another successful weekend in Kansas City for the Mavs. Friday night, the weather was brutal. Temp in the teens and freezing rain in the evening making driving difficult -- when fans would be driving to and from the arena.

Box score attendance for both games was 5,800. I think there were probably more like 5,000 Friday night as a result of the weather. Saturday night was much better.

About 12 years ago, Rich Devos left the Kansas City market for dead when the IHL merged with the AHL and DeVos kept his hometown Grand Rapids Griffins (since he couldn't take two teams to the AHL).

Five years ago, the Mavs filled the hockey void thus proving that KC is a very good minor league hockey market. Regardless of the future of the CHL, because of the Mavs, I'm confident KC will always have a minor league hockey team of some type.

GareFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:58 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
St. Charles Chill with another flush on the ol pot despite a 6-3 win. Record attendance was 4,109, though kids 12 and under got in free, which doesn't help anything except the number of attendees. Guess they were too cheap to sign one of the two local goalies with CHL experience and instead signed their equipment guy to back up, and put him in the game with 16 seconds left (wearing illegal gear, mind you) just for the novelty of saying the 48 year old now has the record for oldest guy to play in the CHL. Astounded by this club's pettiness and attraction to novelties. Guess it is minor hockey, after all, so my expectations shouldn't be that high.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 09:40 AM
ripham23232

Quote:
Originally Posted by GareFan18 View Post
About 12 years ago, Rich Devos left the Kansas City market for dead when the IHL merged with the AHL and DeVos kept his hometown Grand Rapids Griffins (since he couldn't take two teams to the AHL).
As a Grand Rapids native, I think you're blaming DeVos for something that isn't entirely on his shoulders. The new league had a rule in place saying you could only own one team and he chose the one in his backyard, where his family and their best friends own the city essentially. Can't really blame the guy for that choice. If no potential buyers step up, the only option left is to fold the team. You should be just as upset with the former IHL, the AHL and its rulebook as you are with DeVos. I'm guessing you have a lot of angst built up because in years previous he had tried to move the team, and now he is public enemy #1 to you. Since that move was blocked due to league disputes, Blades fans lambasted the DeVos family, and then he chose the hometown team to operate moving into the new league.

ripham23232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GareFan18 View Post
Another successful weekend in Kansas City for the Mavs. Friday night, the weather was brutal. Temp in the teens and freezing rain in the evening making driving difficult -- when fans would be driving to and from the arena.

Box score attendance for both games was 5,800. I think there were probably more like 5,000 Friday night as a result of the weather. Saturday night was much better.

Five years ago, the Mavs filled the hockey void thus proving that KC is a very good minor league hockey market. Regardless of the future of the CHL, because of the Mavs, I'm confident KC will always have a minor league hockey team of some type.
Do you think they'll go ECHL next year?

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 09:20 PM
GareFan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfaninWI View Post
Do you think they'll go ECHL next year?
This has been covered ad nauseum on this board.

Yes, I think the Missouri Mavericks will end up in the ECHL...someday.

No, I don't think it will happen next year.

There may, or may not be, a binding 10-year agreement to stay in the CHL. Regardless, I think it's going to be at least a few years before the Mavericks go to the ECHL. However, I do think they'll be ECHL (or even AHL) someday.

GareFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 09:42 AM
mk80

I figured I'd post in this thread. But the Chill are ending the season on an even worse note than just having their abysmal record and attendance figures to go over. But it looks like at a charity event this week the team picked up quite the flu.

http://www.ksdk.com/story/news/healt...lanes/6148353/

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 01:22 PM
CrazyEddie20

When you're skating towards the net and you feel something wet...

Seriously, could things get worse for the Chill? Where's our intrepid "journalist" to provide rah-rah reports about how the Chill are going to be on solid ground?

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:49 PM
offkilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie20 View Post
When you're skating towards the net and you feel something wet...

Seriously, could things get worse for the Chill? Where's our intrepid "journalist" to provide rah-rah reports about how the Chill are going to be on solid ground?
He's busy investigating rumors down in Florida of a rich retirement comunity investing in the team.

offkilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2014, 04:52 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by offkilter View Post
He's busy investigating rumors down in Florida of a rich retirement comunity investing in the team.
What you did there. I see it.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2014, 10:45 PM
mk80

Well you certainly can't do much worse than having half your entire franchise sick, and having abysmal records on and off the ice.

Also what a nice slapshot reference haha.

But on a serious note: the Chill were advertising 2014-15 Season tickets last weekend so they are planning to be around next season. Hopefully they can at least change their stats on the ice next year, if nothing else changes hopefully they aren't the door mat of the league too.

Old
03-09-2014, 09:21 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
But on a serious note: the Chill were advertising 2014-15 Season tickets last weekend so they are planning to be around next season. Hopefully they can at least change their stats on the ice next year, if nothing else changes hopefully they aren't the door mat of the league too.
Well, for what it's worth, the Atlanta Thashers were selling season tickets the day their move to Winnipeg was announced.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp6063

Hopefully a sign that the team really will be around next year, but could be nothing more than the team trying to get a cash infusion of what's effectively interest free loans.

Old
03-09-2014, 02:25 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Selling season tickets means nothing. A friend of mine had season tickets for the Madison Kodiaks (UHL). They day after he renewed his tickets for a second year, They moved to Kalamazoo.

Old
03-09-2014, 08:15 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
Selling season tickets means nothing. A friend of mine had season tickets for the Madison Kodiaks (UHL). They day after he renewed his tickets for a second year, They moved to Kalamazoo.
I'm amazed at how many fans will hang their hat on the mere availability of season tickets. Just because some ownership group is willing to take hundreds of your dollars upfront proves nothing. A couple seasons ago, I spent $300 on season tickets. Later that summer, the ownership skipped town and left a trail of unpaid bills.

Luckily, in my case, the CHL itself took over the abandoned franchise and managed to get a team to the ice. Not everyone is guaranteed that luxury. I've seen fans of other teams get burned this way.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 12:24 PM
intangible

vCash: 139
Chill pulled some rather impressive attendance lately but only because one night was a "pay whatever you want" night (LOL) and then it was "Legends" night where Bobby Hull and others were signing autographs.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 03:41 PM
mk80

I'm not saying them selling season tickets is a guarentee they will be around next year. The Mavericks ownership could decide to pull the plug (I would). But it at least signals the possibility of a return for next season.

Old
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Off da post and in

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
I'm not saying them selling season tickets is a guarentee they will be around next year. The Mavericks ownership could decide to pull the plug (I would). But it at least signals the possibility of a return for next season.
I think the scenario(s) is/are fairly clear on St. Charles.
1) If Allen, Missouri, Rapid City, and some others get into the ECHL then St. Charles is gone.
2) If all the aforementioned teams stay in the CHL then St. Charles will be back for more, unless Louisville and/or Casper join the CHL.
3) I haven't heard a thing about Louisville or Casper definitely coming into the CHL. Therefore, St. Charles will be around.
4) St.Charles won't go to the ECHL or drop down to the SPHL once the CHL is gone. Their sole reason for existence is to keep the CHL at 10 or more teams.

Off da post and in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 11:07 AM
JDogindy

I honestly fail to see the point in keeping the CHL around. When the league merged with the WPHL, it seemed that it would make things more stable, but it didn't.

After the Indianapolis Ice left in 2004, I did get upset, largely because we got replaced by the USHL's Indiana Ice (the transplaneted Danville Wings). In retrospect... 8 playoff appearances, a Clark Cup, and still in the hunt for our first Anderson Cup... a better investment.

I can see two, maybe three, of these franchises going to the ECHL (most likely Allen) or the SPHL (the two surviving mainstays Tulsa and Wichita), and the rest either folding or having to make do with NAHL replacements, though that's not a bad tradeoff. I do not know why they put another team in Denver, since you have the Avalanche and the Colorado Eagles, nor a team in Brampton, Ontario.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:37 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

As it stands, can someone give me the Vegas odds of Rapid City, Allen and Missouri actually leaving the CHL for the ECHL this summer? Whats changed since the league prevented them from doing that last year?

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Artie Fufkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
As it stands, can someone give me the Vegas odds of Rapid City, Allen and Missouri actually leaving the CHL for the ECHL this summer? Whats changed since the league prevented them from doing that last year?
The league itself. The franchise agreements were signed by the team owners and Global. Global is now gone. Whether those agreements are still enforceable is a question I don't know the answer to.

Artie Fufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 06:05 PM
cup4blues
Sarcasm galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
Allen is in the dumps and given Doug Miller's financial situation I would say it's likely they are either sold or fold over the summer. Even if they went to the ECHL they wouldn't last long.

cup4blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 07:51 PM
mfrerkes

There's a bunch of chatter about Saint Charles folding this summer...

https://twitter.com/andystrickland/s...26095794737153

Is anyone shocked?

Old
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83

Not shocked at all

Old
04-29-2014, 11:36 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Not especially. They've been having issues almost from the get-go.

Old
04-30-2014, 08:39 PM
mfrerkes

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Not especially. They've been having issues almost from the get-go.
I think the Chill are more than likely gone. If Missouri is walking away from this disaster, who is going to step in and take on those losses? The CHL couldn't find any legitimate local owners last summer, so the Mavericks were essentially goaded into running the franchise.

The bigger question is what St. Charles' likely departure means for the rest of the CHL. The Mallards lose their closest rival, and suddenly Brampton's road trips are going to get even longer next season...if there is a next season. Oh, and a nine-team league makes the number of weeknight games go up for everyone as well.

How many more signs do we need before somebody pulls the plug on this monstrosity?

Old
04-30-2014, 11:01 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
I think the Chill are more than likely gone. If Missouri is walking away from this disaster, who is going to step in and take on those losses? The CHL couldn't find any legitimate local owners last summer, so the Mavericks were essentially goaded into running the franchise.

The bigger question is what St. Charles' likely departure means for the rest of the CHL. The Mallards lose their closest rival, and suddenly Brampton's road trips are going to get even longer next season...if there is a next season. Oh, and a nine-team league makes the number of weeknight games go up for everyone as well.

How many more signs do we need before somebody pulls the plug on this monstrosity?
who said STC is gone, you're speculating, mf.... the Chill is up for sale, whether or not it was being co-run by the Mavericks....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote