HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is New York A Big Hockey Town?

Old
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Is New York A Big Hockey Town?

I don't currently live in the tri state region being a transplant raised most of the time outside.

I'm wondering for those who do call the tri state area home, if you could answer, how big is hockey in New York?

Is hockey a very popular and passionate sport that not only has a big following with the Rangers, but a lot of passionate fans and good youth hockey programs?
Is it more popular than basketball and invoke similar passion to the region as football and baseball, or at least is right behind those, or is it a sharp drop off and behind the sport of basketball?

I get mixed takes.
On one hand MSG is sold out, the Rangers appear to have a large passionate fanbase, much better when the team is consistent, the NHL has several players who grew up in New York and the area has three NHL teams.

However, the NYPost and media seem to give hockey horrendous coverage signficantly less than football, baseball, and basketball.
Mike and the maddog while they talk primarlily only baseball and football, still seem to have a lot more conversation on basketball than hockey,

It just seems the New York, for some reason unlike the other northeastern cities of Bos and Phi and unfortunately has more basketball than hockey people, as Max Kellerman said.

My question, how big is hockey in New York, how does it compare to the other northeastern cities in terms of where it stands relative to the NBA.

Nothing irriates me like having a bunch of ignorant basketball fans bashing hockey, that's the one thing I can't take away or say bad about Philly, they seem to do it right in putting hockey above the much less skilled sport of basketball.
We seem to have too many Mike and the maddog hockey ignorant people in New York compared to BOS and PHI, is this accurate or am I wrong?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

enough said.

if you saw the fan reaction for 1994, thats all the answer you need.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Nich

i.m.o. if you do % wise, no, but at the same time, we have a lot more people

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:31 AM
xander

The thing about new york is that even the minorities are very large. The number four sport in new york city still has alot of followers. New York cannot be considered to be hockey mad (like montreal, or a toronto) but the pure number of hockey fans is probably larger the majority of other fanbases.

And the hockey fans that do exist tend to be particuarly dedicated.

Last edited by xander: 02-10-2007 at 12:14 AM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Balej20*

New York is a big sports town in general. You can find a ton of fans for any of the big 4 sports. The problem in New York is that the media for the most part, are NOT hockey fans. So they make it seem like hockey doesn't even exist.

But as always, when a sports team is doing well, the buzz around that team is greater. The celebrating that went on around here for the '94 Cup win was incredible. Too bad there was the stupid lock out the following year, which completely killed the buzz in the town.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:47 AM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
As an outsider.....I don't know if I should admit this but I really have zero connection with NY. I'm an Air Force brat grew up in NM and had no team to cheer for, the Rags caught my eye and I've been a fan since 93. I think that being a diehard Rags fan means that you have to be patient. I was lucky the first year being a Rags fan winning the cup, Messier delivering the promise, Mattteu scoring that excellent goal.

All that being said, it seems to me that a whole lot of Rangers fans demand results no matter if there is a youth buildup or if it's a crop or veterans. The crew here seems to go on "what have you done for me lately". NY has to lose this attitude and learn that sometimes you're not going to reach the playoffs but you need to straighten things out.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:08 AM
Edge

Hockey is the number 4 sport in NY, maybe lower.

Having said that, being #4 in NY is more popular than being #1 in probably 90% of the cities.

As someone said the sheer number of people in the area means the sport is going to have big numbers behind it, that's just the way NY works.

There are probably cities that are more rabid hockey fans (some by birth others by creative marketing gimicks that add a nice to spin to their otherwise filth and lack of charm) but I always felt it was really hard to say where exactly NY ranks.

There is just so much that drowns it out, but does a city that doesn't have as much going on (and thus pays more attention to hockey) necessarily mean it's a better hockey town? I never really believed that.

Another problem is that outside of a few good stretches, the Rangers have essentially been run like a joke for the majority of the last 67 years.

So to get back to the original question, yes I very much think it is. It just doesn't get reognized as such because there is so much going on.

At the end of the day you don't have just one team like a lot of the so called "hockey capitals" you actually have 3. That's one factor that gets overlooked way too easy.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 03:18 AM
Phil333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
New York is a big sports town in general. You can find a ton of fans for any of the big 4 sports. The problem in New York is that the media for the most part, are NOT hockey fans. So they make it seem like hockey doesn't even exist.

But as always, when a sports team is doing well, the buzz around that team is greater. The celebrating that went on around here for the '94 Cup win was incredible. Too bad there was the stupid lock out the following year, which completely killed the buzz in the town.
This post nailed it. Plenty of people love the Rangers, but the media hates hockey. When we were leading the division last year and the Knicks were horrible, Knicks still always got back page coverage. But come playoff time when the media has to focus on NY, you see how in a city w. 8 million people and plenty of fans from outside the city, there are a ton of Ranger fans out there.

Phil333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Basketball
4. Hockey

That's how it currently is in NY. While Basketball is more popular the Knicks stink and it does drag basketball down a bit. The Rangers and Knicks both kind of switch spots based on how each team is doing. I know that I see more people around wearing Rangers stuff than Knicks stuff. I see more people wearing Rangers things than Giants and Jets too. Only time you see a lot of football stuff around is if it's Sunday or Monday during football season.

Yankees are of course #1 in NY. Mets you don't see much of, at least where I live.

So is NY a big hockey town? If the Rangers are good, yes. When the Rangers are doing well suddenly everyone is a Rangers fan. When the Rangers are doing bad? You still see a lot of Rangers fans around. Rangers fans are probably the most pasionate in NY. I will say that until the Yankees miss the playoffs for a few years straight then I'll see how pasionate Yankees fans really are. Since I can remember the Yankees have been good (except maybe when I was like 5).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:29 AM
dave4

Yeah you'll get a totally different answer now than you would have gotten ten years ago, and will in ten years when we're good again.

Right now New York is not a hockey town. An A-Rod sneeze, a David Wright radio appearance, or Eli Manning's job security are flashed all over the newspapers, while our winning and losing streaks in late 2006 were barely noticed. Even Mark Messier trying to worm his way back to the team is treated as an afterthought. Imagine if Lawrence Taylor said he wanted to replace Ernie Accorsi? There wouldn't be enough trees to document it.

But it's cyclical. Pittsburgh wasn't a hockey town, now it is. After getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs the last two seasons, even Hockeytown isn't really hockeytown right now. The Avs might not sell out a game for the first time in like six seasons. St. Louis used to lead the league in attendance...now they have to give away free food, and some people are saying the team might be moved. Chicago Stadium was the second loudest rink in the league...now it's like a library. The Montreal Forum was quiet and reserverd...the Bell Centre is alive and electric. Everything changes.

Look at it this way...when the Mets or Yankees are bad, people stop coming. Knicks too. But not Ranger fans.

Ten years of mismanagement, idiots in ownership and management, bad trades and FA signings looking for the quick fix, brutal coaches, a lack of effort on the ice, an arena where in lots of seats you can't see one of the goals, no direction, not enough hope for the future, and yet....we're still there.

Just think what'll happen if we're ever good again.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:36 AM
GarretJoseph*

Don't forget we have 3 Hockey teams in this market. So you should really pool all of them together.. Not just Ranger fans.

Hockey is pretty big but the Media doesn't give us enough spotlight...

If the Devils, Islanders & Rangers all merged...I'm sure we'd get a lot more Media interest....

hmmm thats got me thinking...if i had to create a team of NYR/DEV/NYI....

East Side Hockey here I come...

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
mucker*

1) When you say media, do you mean print, radio, or primarily print?
2) Why does the media hate us, has it always been this way or is it cyclical based on the lockout?
3) Chris Russo last week said "We don't talk hockey because the sport has not recovered from the lockout, there is zero interest" is this valid or is he just a biased basketball ignoramous?
4) How do basketball and hockey compare, I would expect baseball and football to be clearly ahead of the hockey, but is it close with the NBA and NHL or is the media's coverage accurate with NY being much more NBA, gosh I hope not.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker View Post
1) When you say media, do you mean print, radio, or primarily print?
2) Why does the media hate us, has it always been this way or is it cyclical based on the lockout?
3) Chris Russo last week said "We don't talk hockey because the sport has not recovered from the lockout, there is zero interest" is this valid or is he just a biased basketball ignoramous?
4) How do basketball and hockey compare, I would expect baseball and football to be clearly ahead of the hockey, but is it close with the NBA and NHL or is the media's coverage accurate with NY being much more NBA, gosh I hope not.
Media meaning all.
They don't hate us.
Chris and Mike have no knowledge of the game of hockey. That's the bottom line.
Basketball is a bit ahead...but as long as the Knicks keep playing the way they are...that could change very soon.

Hockey is not 1 or 2 or 3 but it has a number of fans....all heavily dedicated

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
The Montreal Forum was quiet and reserverd...the Bell Centre is alive and electric. Everything changes..
Sorry for barging in like this, but what?

Dude, the forum was FAR from being quit and reserved. In fact, some may say it had more atmosphere than the bell centre has now. Who told you such a lie?

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
JRGNYR

New York isn't a bad example of what the USA's general population views as the sports hierarchy. Next week the buzz will be around pitchers and catchers, and in July the papers and sports radio are full of trade talk and NFL training camp. Hockey barely registers in comparison, but it is there, and it has a very loyal and vocal faithful.

But if the Rangers generated some buzz, we'd have something. New Yorkers are picky, and hockey has its share of casual fans who need to be re-introduced to the game after the lockout. Some haven't yet come back just yet, but hopefully a stretch of success would help out.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:36 AM
Leprechaun

The number of hockey fans in new york, relative to that of other sports, is pretty much the same as it is throughout the US(well, perhaps a little greater). It's the sheer number of people who live in the new york area that makes it seem like hockey has greater popularity.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Greschner4

Here's the hierarchy of NY Sports:

Yankees, Mets, Giants
Jets
Knicks
Rangers
Nets
Islanders, Devils

If the Rangers go on a nice playoff run the city and the media will be electric again.

Greschner4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

New York doesn't need to be a big hockey town, it's just a big freaking town!

Lemieux's favorite city to visit.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Tuxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker View Post
I don't currently live in the tri state region being a transplant raised most of the time outside.

I'm wondering for those who do call the tri state area home, if you could answer, how big is hockey in New York?

Is hockey a very popular and passionate sport that not only has a big following with the Rangers, but a lot of passionate fans and good youth hockey programs?
Is it more popular than basketball and invoke similar passion to the region as football and baseball, or at least is right behind those, or is it a sharp drop off and behind the sport of basketball?

I get mixed takes.
On one hand MSG is sold out, the Rangers appear to have a large passionate fanbase, much better when the team is consistent, the NHL has several players who grew up in New York and the area has three NHL teams.

However, the NYPost and media seem to give hockey horrendous coverage signficantly less than football, baseball, and basketball.
Mike and the maddog while they talk primarlily only baseball and football, still seem to have a lot more conversation on basketball than hockey,

It just seems the New York, for some reason unlike the other northeastern cities of Bos and Phi and unfortunately has more basketball than hockey people, as Max Kellerman said.

My question, how big is hockey in New York, how does it compare to the other northeastern cities in terms of where it stands relative to the NBA.

Nothing irriates me like having a bunch of ignorant basketball fans bashing hockey, that's the one thing I can't take away or say bad about Philly, they seem to do it right in putting hockey above the much less skilled sport of basketball.
We seem to have too many Mike and the maddog hockey ignorant people in New York compared to BOS and PHI, is this accurate or am I wrong?
what r u writing a book?
....and I thought u live in the tristate area

Tuxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:28 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greschner4 View Post
Here's the hierarchy of NY Sports:

Yankees, Mets, Giants
Jets
Knicks
Rangers
Nets
Islanders, Devils

If the Rangers go on a nice playoff run the city and the media will be electric again.
I'd put it:

Yankees, Mets
Knicks
Giants, Jets
Rangers
Nets
Devils, Islanders

I realize that football is probably a little bit bigger than basketball at the moment, but alot of that has to do with the fact that the the knicks are the worst run team in all of basketball. When the Knicks where good in the 90s the city would simply stop for playoff games, which is somthing I've never seen for a football game. The only other sport that has that kind of impact is baseball, which is the clear king of the city.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:15 PM
tjs252

I disagree. I think New York, first and foremost, is a winner's town. The Yankees and Mets are winning because baseball is still the sport that let's New York money create an advantage. So, while the Mets and Yankees dominate, I don't think New York is a baseball town. Truthfully, I think it is a basketball town, and I'll tell you why. As putrid as the Knicks have been recently, they're still very relevant. If you listen to Mike and the Mad Dog, basketball segments get far more nostalgic callers than any other sport, and the fans of the Knicks, by and large, are more aware of their team than say the average Yankee or Met fan.

But, yes, there's a tremendous hockey following here, but extended high-profile winning is the only thing that can put it back on the back-pages.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprechaun View Post
The number of hockey fans in new york, relative to that of other sports, is pretty much the same as it is throughout the US(well, perhaps a little greater). It's the sheer number of people who live in the new york area that makes it seem like hockey has greater popularity.
I can understand that, but I don't know if that really fair.

It's like saying "Well the only reason hockey is big in Canada is because they have ice."

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Fletch

New York's...

not a hockey town. You will find a lot of hockey fans, you may even find areas where there's a fair amount of interest, but just remember how big NYC is. There may be more hockey fans in NYC than Toronto, but that's because the population is 7-8 times that of Toronto and you won't see the concentration (not saying that that's the case, just saying how big NYC is and that there are millions and millions of people here who are not hockey fans).

1994 was special - for almost two months, it was a hockey town, where bars were packed and people were watching the hockey games. These days, there's less and less people caring about hockey games and when you go to bars, it's not too uncommon to ask to have the channel changed to a hockey game.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Fletch

I agree edge...

not sure if I said it clearly in my post, but to me, a Hockeytown has a large proportion of its population being hockey fans. You go to the local bar, and there's 10-15 guys sitting at the bar watching the hockey game, and it's like that at all the bars in town. In New York, it's 1 in 10, or whatever the figure is, but it's not high. Again, for me, it's the concentration that matters, not the absolute number.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:57 PM
HajdukSplit

a few weeks ago on the Joe B. and Evan Roberts midday show, Joe B said that their boss gets mad when they start talking about hockey (don't know if he meant it as a joke or not)

on WFAN, usually after the games there is hockey talk from Steve Somers, Mike and the Mad Dog don't like hockey at all, they once in a while get on JD or Bettman

I know in my area (Monmouth County) hockey is very popular actually and we have a few high school hockey teams and even a few guys got drafted out of here. Basketball is a sport people my age enjoy playing but I don't think they follow it as much

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote