HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2014, 12:41 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Ehlers was my favorite before he came over, but Halifax's last game against Moncton, Barbashev's line ate up Ehlers line. Particularly Tkachev playing RW to Ehlers LW, needless to say Ehlers was -3 at the end and Vlad Tkachev was +2 that's quite a difference. Nic Aube-Kubel still has my interest and should step out of the shadow cast by Mantha next season, good time to draft him before that happens.
Id still take Ehlers over Barbs. Saw that game and the one before, and they were not good examples of why, so if you watched them, I understand if you disagree

Old
02-12-2014, 12:56 PM
Tinordi Ruxpin
Hey, C'mon Let's Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Beside the fact that Barbashev is a winger, he's much meaner and grittier than Plekanec. I don't think that's a good comparison, no offense. Barbashev has the potential to be a better offensive player than Plekanec, to boot....
No offense taken. I just go by what I see. I live in Moncton and have seen Barbashev play a couple dozen plays. As has been discussed, he is just really good across the board but yet is not exceptional in any one area.

While he has been good offensively, I just don't know if I see him as a 1st line NHL player. I think more like 2nd line. I will say that I am very impressed that he kept his offense going this year without Danault & Jaskin.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Barbashev and would be elated if we drafted him. I just see him more as a 2nd line C ala Plekanec.

Old
02-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You can disagree but Barbashev, to me, plays like a winger, and whenever he played at a higher level of hockey, it was as a winger. He could adapt and play as a C at the NHL level, but his game is better suited to play on the wing, IMO.

Having seen him play over 40 times in the past two year, I don't think Audette is as mature as Hudon was at the time of the draft when it comes to puck decisions, and he's certainly not as reliable defensively. But I think he's a better offensive player, he creates a lot of openings for his linemates with his superior speed.

To me, he's closer to what Petan was last year than what Hudon is in term of player. Even though he might not be as dominant as Petan was last year. He also doesn't play in a league as tough. But the numbers he's having this season on the currently last team in the standings are impressive.

As for Aubé-Kubel, he's the one who reminds me of Hudon. He's a very cerebral player, and every time I see him play he impresses me with his hockey IQ. He always takes the good decision and is an excellent puck distributor. What makes you think he has no offensive potential exactly? Keep in mind he doesn't get much PP time since he's playing behind Henley, Marcotte and Mantha, who are all on the first PP, with Gélinas and Gazzola on D. He doesn't have the ice Barbashev or other players on weaker teams have. He'd have more points than Audette if he would have the same ice time, IMO.

In my mind, he's the best Québécois prospect in this draft.
Barbashev does have some "winger traits" but so do guys like Malkin E.Staal Kesler M.Koivu. He isn't an elite playmaker but like Plekanec he can feed a good winger into regular production. His corner and traffic game is better than the average center.

Quote:
Ehlers was my favorite before he came over, but Halifax's last game against Moncton, Barbashev's line ate up Ehlers line. Particularly Tkachev playing RW to Ehlers LW, needless to say Ehlers was -3 at the end and Vlad Tkachev was +2 that's quite a difference. Nic Aube-Kubel still has my interest and should step out of the shadow cast by Mantha next season, good time to draft him before that happens.
Halifax as a whole played like crap, Drouin looked completely disinterested and Fucale was shaky in nets. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in a single game. Ehlers is a weapon from the blueline in, but he is far from the most complete prospect in the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi Ruxpin View Post
No offense taken. I just go by what I see. I live in Moncton and have seen Barbashev play a couple dozen plays. As has been discussed, he is just really good across the board but yet is not exceptional in any one area.

While he has been good offensively, I just don't know if I see him as a 1st line NHL player. I think more like 2nd line. I will say that I am very impressed that he kept his offense going this year without Danault & Jaskin.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Barbashev and would be elated if we drafted him. I just see him more as a 2nd line C ala Plekanec.
Like Plekanec, Barbashev could develop into a #1 on a weaker NHL team and #2 center on a top tier club. He can also play LW but has more value as a center.

Old
02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Monctonscout, what do you think of Kapanen ?

Old
02-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Smokey Thompson

Don't see how we pass oh Ehlers if he's available. Explosive goal scoring with a great shot and has produced at every level.

We need a strong explosive goal scoring winger.

Old
02-12-2014, 04:41 PM
donshabs
Rookie User

2013 Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I think thr habs need a defense heavy draft given 2012 and 2013.
I thought the Mike McCarron selection was a joke, just like Louis Leblanc David Fischer etc, and definately am Not a big fan of Timmins, but when you saw Detroit select Anthony Mantha at #20, a potential franchise player (and big centre we've craved for decades) did anyone else wonder if Mac Bergevin could have used One of those Second or Third rounders we had an abundance of and moved up a few spots ..Was Mantha even on the Habs radar??

Old
02-12-2014, 04:48 PM
SquiddFX
#Seanski

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshabs View Post
I thought the Mike McCarron selection was a joke, just like Louis Leblanc David Fischer etc, and definately am Not a big fan of Timmins, but when you saw Detroit select Anthony Mantha at #20, a potential franchise player (and big centre we've craved for decades) did anyone else wonder if Mac Bergevin could have used One of those Second or Third rounders we had an abundance of and moved up a few spots ..Was Mantha even on the Habs radar??
He did try to move up twice supposedly. I know for sure he called up Columbus and inquired about their pick, which was 19 iirc. And there was a rumour about an attempt trade with Philly and their #11 pick. The Philly trade was to draft Sam Morin and the CBJ trade is a mystery. Maybe Rychel.

Old
02-12-2014, 04:57 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Mantha would have been my first choice, but I'm very satisfied with McCaron. I believe he'll be a big piece of our top 9. He's likely to play a complementary role on a DD-Patches type of line. If he were 3-4 years older this year we wouldn't need to waste Gallagher's stats and talent being strickly a net presence for the most notorious bromance on our team.

Old
02-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Based on what Stéphane Leroux and what Grant reported, Habs no interest in Mantha with their first pick. Maybe with their second but Timmins just wasn't a fan.

That said, prepare yourself if this lasts more than 4 or 5 posts

Old
02-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Don't see how we pass oh Ehlers if he's available. Explosive goal scoring with a great shot and has produced at every level.

I'll always be a proponent of taking the best player available, regardless of position, style of play or current needs. However, I still believe that the one element missing from our entire prospect pool is a true cerebral, puck controlling, playmaking center.

Old
02-12-2014, 10:51 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post

Just like with Drouin/Mantha/Morin last year, it shouldn't be a problem, he'll be long gone before we pick, unfortunately.

Old
02-13-2014, 06:29 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
A couple of guys I fished with are living there again and haven't phoned to brag lately. There are a couple of players that interest me for the 3rd &4th rounds for Habs picks they are Connor Chatham RW 6'3" - 225 lbs. with 12g + 12a = 24pts and 40pims. Solid winger in his 1st OHL campaign. Beau Starrett RW 6'4 - 200 in the USPHL the 5th scorer in the league, tough as nails and has all the intangibles.

The Habs can fill out their depth with these homegrown talents for the future, with a solid draft this year. Next year they will be able to draft a really good top six type with a minimum of ten top notch players, in a strong draft year.

I'll be happy if they draft Bleackley, MacInnis or Cornel in the 1st, by the looks of the team's play the Habs will be drafting 25-30. That's counting on Galchenyuk coming back with a vengeance and leading the offence, instead of Pacioretty & Plekanec doing it all.
With the draft class this year, as I would focus more on kids with some size, and jam in their play when we are up in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Those types of guys, their play will translate better to a pro style and have a better shot at becomeing NHL regulars. I have no problem taking gambles in the late rounds. But this class just seems rather pedestrian in overall skill level vs other years.

I see Starrett as more a 5th to 7th rder, and Chattham, he's a 4th-5th rounder for sure. both seem fairly talented but will suffer due to "quality of competition" issues.

In those late rounds I also like Ryan Mantha (big tough Dman with skating and comsistency issues that can be corrected) and Daniel Moynhan (good skater, great energy guy with some finish could be a 3rd liner)

Also, looking down the road a little bit, I think we should keep an eye on Moynhan's younger brother Connor (16yo 6'3'' 205lbs..... 2015 draft eligible) this kid plays a great agressive power game and has really smooth skaking for such a big young kid and some soft hands. he's looking like a kid who can be a 1st-2nd rd pick

Old
02-13-2014, 06:32 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
Based on what Stéphane Leroux and what Grant reported, Habs no interest in Mantha with their first pick. Maybe with their second but Timmins just wasn't a fan.

That said, prepare yourself if this lasts more than 4 or 5 posts

Mantha was seen as a bit lazy and very one-dimentional. But I really like that dimention.....the kid is just such a natural sniper. Honestly, he was drafted by the right team, he will devellop very well under the Wings. If he doesn't it is because he was lazy as they do nothing but churn out excellent young players

Old
02-13-2014, 07:11 AM
Frank JT

I'd like the habs to try to ad one second choice between 31 to 45. That would gives us 3 choices in the first 60. We could get 2 forward and maybe a solid D.
Ex :
First choice between 14 and 26 : Barbashev, Ehlers, Milano, Tuch, ...
Second round between 31 and 45 : Karlsson, Glover, Lemieux, Vanier, Cornel
Second round between 45 and 56 : Alex Peters, Ryan Collins, Matthew Mistele, Pavel Kraskovsky...
That would be a good step for this draft.

Here's a idea/fantasy : If the players Timmins wants with his fisrt pick are gones, why not try to trade down with St-Louis (ex. : 20th pick of the Habs, for the 27th pick of St-Louis + the 31 (from Edmonton). That could be great for the two teams...

Last edited by Frank JT: 02-13-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old
02-13-2014, 07:15 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I need to see more of Kraskovsky, but a Russian I want is Letunov.

Old
02-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post

Mantha was seen as a bit lazy and very one-dimentional. But I really like that dimention.....the kid is just such a natural sniper. Honestly, he was drafted by the right team, he will devellop very well under the Wings. If he doesn't it is because he was lazy as they do nothing but churn out excellent young players
Detroit hasn't churned out a lot of young players the last 10 years. They are heavily dependent on Zetterberg and Datsyuk, if one of those stars is out they struggle. Their drafting/developing is average at best and massively overrated.

The issue in the NHL for scorers is unless you are blazing fast, you have to go into traffic to score, something Mantha doesn't like to do. He may still end up an 30 goal NHLer but it's not a lock.

Old
02-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Detroit hasn't churned out a lot of young players the last 10 years. They are heavily dependent on Zetterberg and Datsyuk, if one of those stars is out they struggle. Their drafting/developing is average at best and massively overrated.
Thank you. It's about time someone said it.

Old
02-13-2014, 08:41 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Yeah... can we keep this to the 2014 draft? That'd be great.

Old
02-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:

The issue in the NHL for scorers is unless you are blazing fast, you have to go into traffic to score, something Mantha doesn't like to do. He may still end up an 30 goal NHLer but it's not a lock.
they have been able to make NHLers out of a good number of their picks. That doesn't mean those players become impact guys either.

And Mantha, given some defensive tutoring would be a good NHLer (2nd line sniper perhaps)

Back on 2014,

I really see this draft will be judged 5 years from now based on the turnout of the mid to late round pics. If a quality NHLer can be found among the 4th to 7th rounds, this draft would be a big win for us

Old
02-13-2014, 12:39 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Beside the fact that Barbashev is a winger, he's much meaner and grittier than Plekanec. I don't think that's a good comparison, no offense. Barbashev has the potential to be a better offensive player than Plekanec, to boot....
A man amongst kids in the QMJHL, yet to play Evander Kane and win, like Plekanec does. Tomas being a great two-way player, and one of the best IMHO.

Old
02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
S Bah

Quote:

Im Val d'Or Louick Marcotte and Samuel Henley provide plenty of chaos for the defenders, leaving Mantha to work his magic. If he had been there when the Habs picked who knows? No good GM is going to play his hand after the draft is over.

Old
02-13-2014, 05:28 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
William Nylander has really taken off ever since he joined Sodertalje, now with 16 points (10 goals) in 13 games. I could see him rise if he finishes the year off in style.

Old
02-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 255
Quote:
I've only seen 2 of your 11 posts, and they both bash Timmins.

And all of you guys are lying saying the guy you wanted was Mantha, no he wasn't, everybody was worried sick on draft day we would take him.

Old
02-13-2014, 07:04 PM
HCH

Quote:
An amazing rant... you've scouted Anthony Mantha and have picked him as the franchise center we've wanted for decades... but isn't he a winger? How can you possibly rate a player's abilities when you don't even know what position he plays.

Timmins may make some mistakes but I think he knows the difference between a center and a winger.

Old
02-13-2014, 07:32 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
An amazing rant... you've scouted Anthony Mantha and have picked him as the franchise center we've wanted for decades... but isn't he a winger? How can you possibly rate a player's abilities when you don't even know what position he plays.

Timmins may make some mistakes but I think he knows the difference between a center and a winger.
Haha this! Complain about a pick yet you don't know the other guys position. It hasn't even been a year yet and from the sounds of it McCarron allready has had some great progression. We will have to be patient with him and If he turns out he will be a great piece in a brighter future for the habs hopefully

Closed Thread