HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hall an undervalued asset for Flyers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-29-2014, 06:23 PM
  #26
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,890
vCash: 769
still can't believe Homer waived him instead of Rosehill

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:45 PM
  #27
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener
 
SeanCWombBroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,757
vCash: 500
Not sure why the disjunction is: Hall or Laughton.

I'd rather have both of them over Rosehill, potentially Rinaldo and VV.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 07:59 PM
  #28
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Not sure why the disjunction is: Hall or Laughton.

I'd rather have both of them over Rosehill, potentially Rinaldo and VV.
It's really not one or the other. VV was playing C with Hall at RW, sliding over when necessary. There's no reason that can't continue with Laughton and Hall. A 4th of Raffl-Laughton-Hall would be pretty damn good IMO.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 08:55 PM
  #29
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,180
vCash: 500
Why not re-sign Hall AND another 4th liner and let Laughton start in the AHL. Then, IF Laughton shows that he can handle playing against men for over half a season, look at bringing him up then. We are so impatient to have out prospects play. Let them PROVE themselves in the AHL for awhile. I would rather Laughton gets tons of ice time on the 1st line in the AHL. Allow our prospect to develop their offensive game instead of smothering them in defensive roles. We can get cheap UFA's for that.

While it has been good having Couts in the 3rd line defensive role, it would be nice to have a rookie come in like Scheifele and actually PRODUCE offensively as a rookie. We all use Richards as an example of it working playing 4th line minutes. People forget ghost he went back after being drafted and played 2 more years of Jr. And got a whole playoff run in the AHL before touching the NHL.

Stop rushing our top prospects to play 4th line minutes. Pay the Hall's of the world to do it.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:06 PM
  #30
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,890
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Why not re-sign Hall AND another 4th liner and let Laughton start in the AHL. Then, IF Laughton shows that he can handle playing against men for over half a season, look at bringing him up then. We are so impatient to have out prospects play. Let them PROVE themselves in the AHL for awhile. I would rather Laughton gets tons of ice time on the 1st line in the AHL. Allow our prospect to develop their offensive game instead of smothering them in defensive roles. We can get cheap UFA's for that.

While it has been good having Couts in the 3rd line defensive role, it would be nice to have a rookie come in like Scheifele and actually PRODUCE offensively as a rookie. We all use Richards as an example of it working playing 4th line minutes. People forget ghost he went back after being drafted and played 2 more years of Jr. And got a whole playoff run in the AHL before touching the NHL.

Stop rushing our top prospects to play 4th line minutes. Pay the Hall's of the world to do it.
because that makes too much sense

I personally think Laughton won't be anywhere near as good as most fans think he'll be

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 06:34 PM
  #31
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16
 
Cyborg LeClair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 955
vCash: 400
They highlighted Adam Hall in the new Flight Plan. I really liked his contributions to the team, and I certainly notice his effort on the ice. Some nights when the Flyers are really stinking it up, Adam Hall makes our fourth line the best line on the team.

We should definitely keep him going forward

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 06:41 PM
  #32
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
I like Hall and I think he's a solid 4th liner. With that said I'm hoping for a 4ty line of Raffl-Laughton-McGinn/Cousins next year. The truly good teams in the league have a 4th line that can play 12 minutes on a regular basis and contribute. Hall, while he's more versatile then Rinaldo and Rosehill, is two one dimensional. He's a very good pker, wins loads of face offs and is OK defensively as ES but going forward we can do without his pking (Raffl, Read, Couturier, Laughton, Giroux and if need be Schenn). I don't think his face off skills are enough to keep him around.


Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 02-12-2014 at 06:47 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
  #33
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,180
vCash: 500
I would rather have Hall stay around 1 more year then throw Laughton on the 4th line. I want Laughton to go to the AHL and prove he can contribute against men and then call him up if he is ready...like we did with Giroux.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2014, 08:48 PM
  #34
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I would rather have Hall stay around 1 more year then throw Laughton on the 4th line. I want Laughton to go to the AHL and prove he can contribute against men and then call him up if he is ready...like we did with Giroux.
I'm not suggesting you just hand him a job in the NHL but if he outplays Hall then give him a spot. Richards only played in the AHL for the PO run, he was in the NHL centering the 4th line the next season.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 08:26 AM
  #35
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,589
vCash: 500
And it didn't hurt him one bit. With the Flyers cap issues having Raffl as the third line winger next season and Hall, Laughton and Rinaldo on the 4th line makes a ton of sense.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 08:34 AM
  #36
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,394
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I would rather have Hall stay around 1 more year then throw Laughton on the 4th line. I want Laughton to go to the AHL and prove he can contribute against men and then call him up if he is ready...like we did with Giroux.
Flyers 1st round picks don't go to the AHL if they anticipate them being a significant contributor for the future. Giroux is an exception, it was half of a season, and they didn't even want to have to do it, but they were capped out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 09:05 AM
  #37
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,890
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Flyers 1st round picks don't go to the AHL if they anticipate them being a significant contributor for the future. Giroux is an exception, it was half of a season, and they didn't even want to have to do it, but they were capped out.
Giroux had a bad training camp as well. I think he was battling mono

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2014, 02:57 PM
  #38
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,170
vCash: 500
Great fourth liners are generally vastly undervalued just because they're fourth liners. In reality though a great fourth line can be an ace on face-offs (or at least very good) and provide a lot of PK ability with defensive responsibility so that the minutes can be more evenly distributed.

It's why guys like Hall or Betts have been so easy to acquire in the past. They fly under the radar and sometimes get shoved to the side for goons or face-punchers like Cote or Shelley.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.