HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

To ALL Rangers fans

Old
02-09-2007, 09:22 AM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
To ALL Rangers fans

I like coming to this board to discuss hockey since I think most of the folks here know their hockey and their Rangers. However, one thing has been bothering me as of late.

Are we LOYAL Rangers fans or are we band-wagon jumpers?

If we are LOYAL Rangers fans then why,with 28 games left, are there already posts here about:
Fire Sale
Let's trade Jagr
I Know the Season Was Over When...

What is wrong with you people? Do you want to support your team to the end or do you want to give up on them when they need you the most?

Sure, our coach is not too smart at times and Sather is an idiot, is that the fault of the players? The team played really hard against the Devils, they are really trying to turn things around...the last thing they need is to play HOME games with the HOME crowd not on their side.

Ask yourself something:
Why are the Rangers 10-12-3 at HOME and 15-12-2 AWAY?

Could it be that we don't cheer on them enough? Could it be that we start to boo a bit too quickly? The players care about playing in front of their fans...remember that!

I'm going to tonight's game against Tampa Bay, and whether the Rangers WIN or LOSE I'm going to cheer them on till the end of the game! Who's with me?!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:24 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

vCash: 500
It's because the Rangers try to be too fancy and look for the perfect play to put on a show when they are at home. Even the players themselves have said it.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
It's because the Rangers try to be too fancy and look for the perfect play to put on a show when they are at home. Even the players themselves have said it.
Great point!

How about we put a bit less pressure on them to score in the first period and just keep cheering them on and maybe they wont get too fancy?!

Old
02-09-2007, 09:31 AM
dumpsathernow*

Cheering for a team that stinks and not wanting what is best for the team doesn't make you a loyal fan. Many people here know this team stinks. Many people here realize we were promised a rebuild and were lied to YET again. Many people here realize that becoming sellers and firing Renney would help for the future.

Many people here hope that after enough fire sales, this moronic organization will finally join the rest of the hockey league and realize that you can't buy playoffs with old farts and cast off's from the rest of the NHL.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:33 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
Cheering for a team that stinks and not wanting what is best for the team doesn't make you a loyal fan. Many people here know this team stinks. Many people here realize we were promised a rebuild and were lied to YET again. Many people here realize that becoming sellers and firing Renney would help for the future.

Many people here hope that after enough fire sales, this moronic organization will finally join the rest of the hockey league and realize that you can't buy playoffs with old farts and cast off's from the rest of the NHL.
We don't stink. We're a good team with the wrong coach in place. We'll beat Tampa Bay tonight. Mark My Words.

In fact, I put all my Vbookie Money on it! 5,432!

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:42 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:

1st of all who promised who a rebuild. We are in a rebuilding stage. I don't get it? Fire sale!! We had one already, what do you want an exact turnaround? It takes a while, and when we had a good season last year, we made some adjustment, and they didn't work out as well as we had hoped. Nothing is guarented in sports. I mean look at the blackhawks, what hasn't gone wrong for that team? This team will turn it around, it takes time man. Becoming sellers makes no sense???, dude. You can't tear the team down after not even a full year of faliure, make it two, and I'll somewhat agree with you.

I cheer for the rangers no matter what.

We all know who is a true fan, and who is a bandwagoner.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:44 AM
zacn

I don't think any of what you said has to do with being loyal and I dont see how our losing record has to do with the fans not cheering enough. A band wagon fan, by definition, wants to cheer for a winning team so if a few people are hoping to scrap a crappy season and continue to focus on the rebuild, that isn't being on any sort of band wagon. That's being loyal to a team and saying, you guys suck but we still love the rangers and are willing to be patient so you will be good next year. I think the posters who have been calling it as season are more concerned with Sather becoming trigger happy and trying to make the playoffs by trading some youth away. Nothing more.

In terms of our losing home record, the rangers seem to play fine when they are being booed on the road. They obviously feel the crowd is behind them enough to still salute after the few wins they do have at the garden. I just don't see how the crowd can be that much of a factor. Sometimes, the numbers just don't add up and a team doesn't do very well at home in a season.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:51 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

I dont remember any promise. Who said that?

Whos having a fire sale?? Dont put words in my mouth. I'm not one of your "many people"

Anyway this has nothing to do about Loyalty. Im sure there are plenty of fans here who continue to spend their hard earned money at these games including me. If thats not loyal i dont know what is.

Bandwagon!? Thats only true when the team is good! This wagon is going the wrong way, unless someone wants to hitch a ride to a golf course they should jump on this wagon.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 02-09-2007 at 09:58 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
bleedrngrblue

Seems to me donutboy may have an agenda of pissing off Ranger fans. Every post of his is nothing but negative spew from beginning to end.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:58 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I dont remember any promise. Who said that?

Whos having a fire sale?? Dont put words in my mouth. I'm not one of your "many people"

Anyway this has nothing to do about Loyalty. Im sure there are plenty of fans here who continue to spend their hard earned money at these games including me. If thats not loyal i dont know what is.

Bandwagon!? Thats only true when the team is good! This wagon is going the wrong way, unless someone wants to hitch a ride to a golf course they should jump on this wagon.
lol

Old
02-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Larry Melnyk

I will not deny that the team has made a slew of mistakes concerning the NHL club...And personally, I think it's too early to give up but I can see why some think otherwise....

As for the rebuild, I'll say it for the 3457 time, a rebuild of the NHL team was never promised..And anybody that expected kids, kids, and more kids to play in NY this season, were only fooling themselves..Next year is another story...

What the Rangers promised was to rebuild the organization, and that they have done form the bottom up..Since the lockout, They have done a good job in stockpiling decent young talent and not giving much of it away..Just look at our kids in Juniors and at Hartford, the youngest team in the AHL and collectively and individually they are having a fine season and receiving good coaching..The future is being taken care of, it just hasn't trickled up to the NHL...

I have no problem whatsoever with the "rebuild" so far..The Rangers have always been accused of nbot showwing patience and going for quick fixes..Now they show patience with the kids, and they get reamed by some..Pretty ironic

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:16 AM
shoothepuck

True fans are loyal through thick and thin. It dosen't mean we can't gripe and moan, or be pissed at lack luster players, or dumb coaching moves/management mistakes. Most want this team to win, flaws and all, and are somewhat dismayed at what could have been a better season. It's not over yet, and most will root them on until their mathematically eliminated, or make it in. Happy? No. After last season more was expected. A supposed "rebuild" is taking place, and getting used to the transition will take time.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:18 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Seems to me donutboy may have an agenda of pissing off Ranger fans. Every post of his is nothing but negative spew from beginning to end.

Agreed.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:20 AM
tricksta189*

didnt Alaska beat the Rangers?

tricksta189* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:20 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Could it be that we don't cheer on them enough? Could it be that we start to boo a bit too quickly? The players care about playing in front of their fans...remember that!
[/B]
It shouldn't matter because with the exception of Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Prucha, Lundqvist, Girardi and Tyutin the rest of these guys were given the good ol' Bronx Cheer since they wore a sweater of another team.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:32 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
We don't stink. We're a good team with the wrong coach in place. We'll beat Tampa Bay tonight. Mark My Words.

In fact, I put all my Vbookie Money on it! 5,432!
Oh you poor soul, I haven't bet on the rangers since the 7 game losing streak. But I agree we will win, so what the hell.

Also, Cullen scores on the power play from the point, or atleast gets an assist as its deflected or banged in on the rebound. It will happen!

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:37 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Oh you poor soul, I haven't bet on the rangers since the 7 game losing streak. But I agree we will win, so what the hell.

Also, Cullen scores on the power play from the point, or atleast gets an assist as its deflected or banged in on the rebound. It will happen!
Throw your 1733 on them as well! GO RANGERS!

Old
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
lotus

I'll bet 396. That way if I lose, at least i have a 1337 title.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
To me, this is the most lamest excuse for the Rangers. Anyone whos played for the Rangers and any other New York team will tell you that New York fans are the best to play for. When the team plays well, the fans are the best. When the team plays poor, they are the worst, maeing theyll boo you out of the building.

Maybe im biased and more experinced with it because i live here, but if the fans didnt boo, to me that means they dont genuinely care. If a player is upset about being booed in New York they have to do a little research. All great and not great players have been booed in New York at one time or another. They should take it as a kick in the ass and not a total dimoralizing act.

Its how THEY react to it that matters, it has nothing to do with the fans. The fans are gonna do what they do no matter what. They pay the money, they support this team through every success and failure. Theyve been here through it all, where the palyers will come and go (some legends can stay forever, the ones who realize this).

If the Rangers this season cant handle it, they dont deserve to make the playoffs. But if they look at it as a motivation then theyll be fine. Theres gonna be 14 home games in the nex 20 or so games with a 6 game homestand in there. They better get used to the boos or do something to rid the garden of them. Otherwise its gonan be a horrorshow to close out the season. Plain and simple.

Old
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post

i agree, even though im not hemmingway myself i have yet read a post from him that had anything other then rhetoric spluge.
and to touch on something else i read about someone saying they are worried about sather pulling the trigger since the so called rebuild the last season and a half when has he pulled the trigger?
seems the only one pulling the trigger here is the impatient fans that think it takes a season to rebuild a franchise.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Garv23

I've been here for maybe 2 weeks and am floored by the intense amount of whining. I'm as pissed off as anyone about this team but cmon.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:06 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I've been here for maybe 2 weeks and am floored by the intense amount of whining. I'm as pissed off as anyone about this team but cmon.
hahahah, welcome... but get used to it. It never ends!

Old
02-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
THANK YOU!

Someone who understands what I was trying to say. I was in no way saying that the Rangers record is to be blamed on how the fans cheer or don't cheer. What I am saying is that the Rangers are not going to win the Cup in one season, or two seasons, or probably 3. Rebuilding takes time. We do have young guys in the lineup now. You wanted Pock in? He's in. You wanted Girardi in? He's in!

So whether we make the playoffs or not, we are rebuilding and heading in the right direction. Knowing all of that, why not stay patient with this team and keep cheering it on when they are fighting for a playoff spot? And if they don't make the playoffs, then you can whine and whine all day like you are doing now...a FIRE SALE, are you kidding?!

Old
02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
dave4

Quote:
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the two weeks you've been here have been a rough two weeks. It's not easy watching your team slowly slide out of playoff contention.

I'm not sure if whining is the right word, though. I agree with the poster who said the team will have something to worry about when nobody is whining that they're bad, that nobody really cares.

We all have opinions, though, because we're all so incredibly attached to this team. The lack of effort, the lack of results, lack of proper management and ownership, are things we can't sit back and watch and say 'what the heck, let's cheer them on anyway'. We cheer when times are good, and complain and come up with ideas when times are bad.

The fact is that even TEN YEARS without a playoff win has not dulled the passion that burns inside Ranger fans. Most of us are old enough to remember the good times...the Cup or maybe even Cups...playoff games at the Garden when the building is so loud you feel like you can't possibly make it any louder...but you try anyway...the crowd echoing "Let's Go Rangers" chants when the team takes the ice...for warmups!...the big goal that makes the building erupt...beating the Islanders, or Flyers, or Devils, or whoever for that matter, and moving onto the next round...

One of the most amazing things that happened was at the end of the playoffs last year. The team couldn't have played much worse than the Rangers did down the stretch and in the playoffs, and what does the crowd do as time winds down on the season? Yet another loud "Let's Go Rangers" chant...even when we were thoroughly defeated. And the players acknowledging us with the first center ice salute after a loss.

Made me proud to be part of the best fans in all of sports, and we all want to feel these things again. Pardon us if we're disappointed when we realize it's not going to happen.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Garv23

I hear ya Dave4. Nothing personal with my post. Of course when I say 'whining' I'm referring to posts by people like DonutBoy. Sounds like a 4 year old that broke his slingshot. Can't stand that crap. I've bled with this team probably as far back as 79 and like you, I'm proud to be one of the many best fans in all of sports.

Still though, as tough a season it's been, a little more optimism can't hurt.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote