HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2014, 12:32 AM
samiam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So the city is responsible for this winter garden and lrt and such as well eh? So 604 million then tack on the nice new move to katz towers so the city will be into this for nearing a billion dollars.

If I was one of the rejected bidders for this tower deal I'd be digging into a bit as it could be a bit of a conflict of interest/side deal.

City gives katz the gold plated arena deal. Katz goes lower than anyone else for the tower cost.
I believe the Grant Mac LRT station was going to be built regardless of whether there was a downtown arena or not. As well, IIRC isn't the city saving money in the long run by consolidating all dept's to one single location?? They've got to be somewhere. And wherever they are they will be paying rent.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:26 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Does anybody know if I buy standing room season tickets for the Oilers next season if Ill have priority at getting season tickets when the new rink is built?

Before I get ahead of myself, can I buy standing room season tickets for next season, or is there a waiting list 10 years long
The sooner you become a season seat holder, the better your priority will become.
The way it works is sort of like a grandfather system. The people who've held seats the longest always get first dibs at renewal time on new seats (if they want them).
When the Oilers do their seat scramble each year your time to enter the arena moves closer to the front of the list, but depending on how many people have renewed, there may not be very much available.

Old
02-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
what arena do you consider nice?
Older people have 'older' tastes'. ;P

My grandmother likes Buicks.

The buicks of arena's are of brick design.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:48 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So the city is responsible for this winter garden and lrt and such as well eh? So 604 million then tack on the nice new move to katz towers so the city will be into this for nearing a billion dollars.

If I was one of the rejected bidders for this tower deal I'd be digging into a bit as it could be a bit of a conflict of interest/side deal.

City gives katz the gold plated arena deal. Katz goes lower than anyone else for the tower cost.
Why didn't one of those rejected bidders come forward and build an arena with the same plan as Katz?

Old
02-13-2014, 09:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Older people have 'older' tastes'. ;P

My grandmother likes Buicks.

The buicks of arena's are of brick design.
Not always the case. But this design is fraught with difficulty and oddly as much as the last one was. In short were looking at immutable exterior here, no room for expansion ever, so from the moment this new shiny arena is built its inflexible, obsolete, not fit for massive retrofits etc. How we went from one design to another like this without even giving that a second thought is a complete mystery. What we have with the new arena from conception is fairly limited attendance for this hotbed market, and a design that stresses "high tech" functionality. Really about the stupidest thing you could waste gobs of money on being that its the most likely aspect to become obsolete quickly. By all means have the highest capacity wired electrical system possible but I wonder how much is being pissed away on high tech gadgetry that will wow for 5-10 yrs then need replacing.

So we have here a cold stark domed shell with the one solace being its not vinyl siding. Thank the lord. Again this in a winter climate. Look around the Arts district downtown. We've already made this mistake and repeatedly. Other than the Citadel every structure lacking color. Pastels, silvers and off whites in a winter climate where all backdrop is white snow. Whoever this made sense to should take remedial education on exterior designs for northern climates.

Would you paint your entire house white and light pastels inside out in this climate? Would people think you're nuts?

Regardless of exterior clad used some more color would be nice. A decently functional, adaptable structure would be nice. I fear we have neither.

People here are generally too young to see how these things transition. I truly give it 15yrs before people are clamoring about everything wrong with the current design and can't we have another one. This already looks like an eyesore to me.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:01 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOiklRising View Post
Unfortunately, since some of my favorite bands will probably head there to do shows, I won't have a lot of choice in the matter if I want to see them.
and I'm sure you will be angry the whole time you're sitting in those new seats right?

"man, I long for the days of tight concourses and tight seating areas...not to mention sprinting out of Rexall afterwards in fear of witnessing a crime!"

Old
02-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
and I'm sure you will be angry the whole time you're sitting in those new seats right?

"man, I long for the days of tight concourses and tight seating areas...not to mention sprinting out of Rexall afterwards in fear of witnessing a crime!"
What makes people automatically think there will be loads more room in the seating areas? This may well be promised but is far from a given. We'll see what the layout actually is when its closer to completion.

The gods of gouging always come up with ways to get tape measures out to cram more seating in.

Additionally the Edmonton Coliseum had loads of concourse space before the refits. Again this being due to "lets jam some more boxes and seats in here wherever we can.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not always the case. But this design is fraught with difficulty and oddly as much as the last one was. In short were looking at immutable exterior here, no room for expansion ever, so from the moment this new shiny arena is built its inflexible, obsolete, not fit for massive retrofits etc.
You know this how? Are you an architect? Have you viewed the plans?

Quote:
How we went from one design to another like this without even giving that a second thought is a complete mystery. What we have with the new arena from conception is fairly limited attendance for this hotbed market, and a design that stresses "high tech" functionality. Really about the stupidest thing you could waste gobs of money on being that its the most likely aspect to become obsolete anyway. By all means have the highest capacity wired electrical system possible but I wonder how much is being spend on high tech gadgetry that will wow for 5-10 yrs then need replacing.
What "gadgetry" are you talking about?

Quote:
So we have here a cold stark domed shell with the one solace being its not vinyl siding. Again this in a winter climate. Look around the Arts district downtown. We've already made this mistake and repeatedly. Other than the Citadel every structure lacking color. Pastels, silvers and off whites in a winter climate where all backdrop is white snow. Whoever this made sense to should take remedial education on exterior designs for northern climates.

Hartwall Arena, Helsinki

Bolshoy Ice Dome, Sochi.

Friends Arena, Stockholm

Quote:
Would you paint your entire house white and light pastels inside out in this climate? Would people think you're nuts?
Why not? What colour scheme would you prefer? Brown brick to blend in with the brown streets?

Quote:
Regardless of exterior clad used some more color would be nice. A decently functional, adaptable structure would be nice. I fear we have neither.
Colour will come from the use of the exterior LED displays (as shown in the renderings) which means it can change and no pesky repainting.

Quote:
People here are generally too young to see how these things transition. I truly give it 15yrs before people are clamoring about everything wrong with the current design and can't we have another one. This already looks like an eyesore to me.
Beats some dour faux brick and stucco structure, which is likely the alternative.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:21 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
What makes people automatically think there will be loads more room in the seating areas? This may well be promised but is far from a given. We'll see what the layout actually is when its closer to completion.

The gods of gouging always come up with ways to get tape measures out to cram more seating in.

Additionally the Edmonton Coliseum had loads of concourse space before the refits. Again this being due to "lets jam some more boxes and seats in here wherever we can.
more square footage for starters (775,000 sq ft. in Rogers place compared to 480,000 in Rexall)

pretty logical to think everything is going to have more room

Old
02-13-2014, 12:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
You know this how? Are you an architect? Have you viewed the plans?

What "gadgetry" are you talking about?
The ongoing talk about this being the most High tech facility of its kind in the world. Which to me reads the facility where more $ is being wasted on obsolete high tech. They haven't gone into specifics. But with most high tech electronic technology being very subject to quick obsolescence I see it as just wasteful. What? Do people need computer connections/laptops at their seats to view the game and get service now? They have talked about seat service being used extensively in the new facility. Kind of overkill.

Quote:

Hartwall Arena, Helsinki

Bolshoy Ice Dome, Sochi.

Friends Arena, Stockholm
Those buildings are all butt ugly. Pretty much what I'm talking about. Just because a type design is in vogue doesn't mean its all that great. People thought Edmonton Coliseum was a brilliant forward thinking "world class" design when it was built. The Hartwell rink shown above is just friggen awful. Looks like a giant can of tuna fish. lol. At least we won't be getting that one. Sochi ice Rink looks like a giant shiny contact lens. Who comes up with these and whats with this mode of metallic faux futuristic design? 10yrs later a bunch of municipalities are going to be wondering what they're thinking with these very strange designs. Friends arena is possibly the worst. Lets design a large rink all above ground and have massive stairs in a winter climate to get in. Won't that be user friendly..Also massive ugly ramps to move stuff in and out. That's some ****ing stupid kind of design. Don't need to be an architect to point that out.

Quote:
Why not? What colour scheme would you prefer? Brown brick to blend in with the brown streets?
We have "brown' streets?

Quote:
Colour will come from the use of the exterior LED displays (as shown in the renderings) which means it can change and no pesky repainting.
I hope so. But not holding my breath on it..Still looks really drab in the daytime.

Quote:
Beats some dour faux brick and stucco structure, which is likely the alternative.
When I state brick I don't mean faux brick. Nobody does. Faux brick would obviously be cheaping out as would vinyl cladding. So I'm not sure why we're selectively invoking that to make one option seem silly. If people don't like brick how about stone? Most of downtowns Public oriented infrastructure, City hall, Winspear, new museum etc is stone exterior. Maybe have something that matches that.

Last edited by Replacement: 02-13-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old
02-13-2014, 12:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
more square footage for starters (775,000 sq ft. in Rogers place compared to 480,000 in Rexall)

pretty logical to think everything is going to have more room
Not necessarily. The new rink will have more skyboxes, more loge seating, more club seating, but for the common user who knows what seat configurations will be like. We simply don't know, all I'm pointing out is people are assuming for some reason it will be a lot better seating configurations.

At this point its words.

Also realize that reconfigurations usually always end up cramming more seats in. The presently crowded Rexall never seemed that way when first built. Only after all the retrofits as I mention. Retrofits are also fairly standard in the industry. Arenas new and old always seeing some kind of reconfigurations in response to some new perceived need.

Old
02-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
The ongoing talk about this being the most High tech facility of its kind in the world. Which to me reads the facility where more $ is being wasted on obsolete high tech. They haven't gone into specifics. But with most high tech electronic technology being very subject to quick obsolescence I see it as just wasteful. What? Do people need computer connections/laptops at their seats to view the game and get service now? They have talked about seat service being used extensively in the new facility. Kind of overkill.
So they haven't gone into specifics (including what types of tech and the costs thereof), but you feel confident enough to know that whatever technology they put in will be expensive and wasteful. OK.

Quote:
Those buildings are all butt ugly. Pretty much what I'm talking about. Just because a type design is in vogue doesn't mean its all that great. People thought Edmonton Coliseum was a brilliant forward thinking "world class" design when it was built. The Hartwell rink shown above is just friggen awful. Looks like a giant can of tuna fish. lol. At least we won't be getting that one. Sochi ice Rink looks like a giant shiny contact lens. Who comes up with these and whats with this mode of metallic faux futuristic design? 10yrs later a bunch of municipalities are going to be wondering what they're thinking with these very strange designs. Friends arena is possibly the worst. Lets design a large rink all above ground and have massive stairs in a winter climate to get in. Won't that be user friendly..Also massive ugly ramps to move stuff in and out. That's some ****ing stupid kind of design. Don't need to be an architect to point that out.
None of which addresses the point. You said "whoever this made sense to should take remedial education on exterior designs for northern climates," implying that the arena design flies in the face of standard exteriors for northern climates when that's demonstrably false.

Bolshoy looks awesome BTW.

Quote:
We have "brown' streets?
Yeah you may have noticed that in winter, the slush and sand tend to turns the streets, sidewalks, even walls a nice shade of poop brown. The leftover grit and dirt tends to linger into spring. Not for nothing is one of Edmonon's nicknames "Browntown."

Quote:
I hope so. But not holding my breath on it..Still looks really drab in the daytime.
Lit up at night it will look great (look at the Bolshoy or even Allianz in Munich). It'll shine on sunny days and blend in on grey days.

Quote:
When I state brick I don't mean faux brick. Nobody does. Faux brick would obviously be cheaping out as would vinyl cladding. So I'm not sure why we're selectively invoking that to make one option seem silly.
Point is: do you think drab brick is going to pop against the already dingy cityscape of downtown?

Quote:
If people don't like brick how about stone? Most of downtowns Public oriented infrastructure, City hall, Winspear, new museum etc is stone exterior. Maybe have something that matches that.
And most of those are drab, forgettable pieces of purely functional and uninspiring architecture. Boxes with glass. Great models, in other words, if we want to stay in the same rut. And make no mistake, that's what going with some safe design that will look tolerable in 15, 20 years is.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
joestevens29

Brick and stone? Good luck with that. That industry is one of the most inflated trade around.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So they haven't gone into specifics (including what types of tech and the costs thereof), but you feel confident enough to know that whatever technology they put in will be expensive and wasteful. OK.
High tech electronics is quickly obsolete as a rule. Pretty much anything. So not much of a leap there. I don't go to best buy and buy out the store on all the junk either each time a new model of something comes along.

Quote:
None of which addresses the point. You said "whoever this made sense to should take remedial education on exterior designs for northern climates," implying that the arena design flies in the face of standard exteriors for northern climates when that's demonstrably false.
No, my opinion on modernist design applied to winter cities is that no real concessions have been made to even have the facilitities be well suited or attractive in those settings. In my posts I've mentioned not being a fan of some newer design elements. Right now the Reynolds wrap treatment seems to be all the rage. I tend to resist the crap architectural soup of the day type builds. Too bad this is the dreck being spit up just as our city is due for one of these tin cans.

Quote:
Bolshoy looks awesome BTW.
Can't really agree. Nor with the entire build and how cut off it is from everything. It looks like a spaceship landing pad that is occupied. 10yrs from now they'll be articles with this being an example of how not to have a facility be inviting.

Quote:
Yeah you may have noticed that in winter, the slush and sand tend to turns the streets, sidewalks, even walls a nice shade of poop brown. The leftover grit and dirt tends to linger into spring. Not for nothing is one of Edmonon's nicknames "Browntown."
Gotcha. Wasn't sure what you meant there. They have been putting tons of sand down in recent years.

Quote:

Lit up at night it will look great (look at the Bolshoy or even Allianz in Munich). It'll shine on sunny days and blend in on grey days.
The last thing I want in Seasonal Affective Disorder type days in the middle of January is for this architecture to "blend in on grey days". I believe that was a large part of my criticism. People are mood impacted by colors, or lack thereof.
Quote:
Point is: do you think drab brick is going to pop against the already dingy cityscape of downtown?
I don't generally view brick as drab. I do note that in many urban environments brick lofts, brownstones etc are some of the highly sought after properties. One would even notice 104st area featuring a lot of it.

Quote:
And most of those are drab, forgettable pieces of purely functional and uninspiring architecture. Boxes with glass. Great models, in other words, if we want to stay in the same rut. And make no mistake, that's what going with some safe design that will look tolerable in 15, 20 years is.
Drive by any of Douglas Cardinal's world famous builds and tell me its drab functional uninspiring architecture.

c'mon, as with any material how its used and the quality of application and design is of course going to be a factor.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
High tech electronics is quickly obsolete as a rule. Pretty much anything. So not much of a leap there. I don't go to best buy and buy out the store on all the junk either each time a new model of something comes along.
Sure, but without knowing what exactly we're talking about and how much it costs, it's completely premature to talk about it being too expensive/wasteful. Complaining about that is like complaining about what material they are gonna use for the seats.

Quote:
No, my opinion on modernist design applied to winter cities is that no real concessions have been made to even have the facilitities be well suited or attractive in those settings. In my posts I've mentioned not being a fan of some newer design elements. Right now the Reynolds wrap treatment seems to be all the rage. I tend to resist the crap architectural soup of the day type builds. Too bad this is the dreck being spit up just as our city is due for one of these tin cans.
How about an example of what you do like that would be appropriate for a northern clime? Lots of naysaying, not much of it constructive.

Quote:
Can't really agree. Nor with the entire build and how cut off it is from everything. It looks like a spaceship landing pad that is occupied. 10yrs from now they'll be articles with this being an example of how not to have a facility be inviting.
I'm not talking about its placement, only its design. Placement isn't really a point of comparison, given its located in a completely different context.

Quote:
I don't generally view brick as drab. I do note that in many urban environments brick lofts, brownstones etc are some of the highly sought after properties. One would even notice 104st area featuring a lot of it.
104th is a good example: the historic brick buildings looks great, but the newer builds that use brick to blend in look cheap. IMO, brick needs to age a while before it starts to look good.

Quote:
Drive by any of Douglas Cardinal's world famous builds and tell me its drab functional uninspiring architecture.
Sigh. I was talking specifically about the examples you mentioned. But since you mention it, I think Cardinal's work suffers from the same thing you peg as a concern with the new arena design: interesting, out of the box work that looks dated very quickly. Space Science Centre and St. Albert Place being two good examples. Neat buildings; far from timeless.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

How about an example of what you do like that would be appropriate for a northern clime? Lots of naysaying, not much of it constructive.
I said above I love ACC in Dallas. Nice brick design with some ornate bonds used.

Also think of Telus Field. Beautiful Brick design(albeit cheap bricks)

Quote:

I'm not talking about its placement, only its design. Placement isn't really a point of comparison, given its located in a completely different context.
Fair point but the urban arena planning advocates would never recommend anything like the Sochi build up which is one arena/stadia after another with no user or development mix.

Quote:
104th is a good example: the historic brick buildings looks great, but the newer builds that use brick to blend in look cheap. IMO, brick needs to age a while before it starts to look good.
You're wrong here. Refurbished brick looks great, Klinker brick looks great out of the kiln, split brick often looks decent. Edmonton used to be a hotbed for bricks/brick plants with several operating but alas cheap vinyl siding pretty much dampened the industry. With whats still used often tending to be cheaper, larger bricks that have all the appeal of red concrete blocks. Theres definitely beautiful brick, we're just seeing much less of it here in current construction.
I think people have developed a bad opinion of brick due to price, and the lowest common denominator brick used in current construction. Also that everything today is pretty much "running bond" instead of more intricate bonds, arches etc.

Quote:
Sigh. I was talking specifically about the examples you mentioned. But since you mention it, I think Cardinal's work suffers from the same thing you peg as a concern with the new arena design: interesting, out of the box work that looks dated very quickly. Space Science Centre and St. Albert Place being two good examples. Neat buildings; far from timeless.
Far from timeless? St Albert Place is a renowned work of architecture cited the world over and most definitely is wearing it well. Beautiful enjoyable facility and well constructed/designed. Sure doesn't sound like a build that is considered dated..I love going there to present day. Very enjoyable facility.

http://www.firstnationsdrum.com/2009...oric-resource/

Last edited by Replacement: 02-13-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
OilerFan4Life

How many of the complainers in this thread even live in Edmonton? Honest question.

Old
02-13-2014, 01:50 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
I said above I love ACC in Dallas. Nice brick design with some ornate bonds used.

Also think of Telus Field. Beautiful Brick design(albeit cheap bricks).
Dallas isn't exactly a winter city.

But I get the gist: you dig brick.

Quote:
Fair point but the urban arena planning advocates would never recommend anything like the Sochi build up which is one arena/stadia after another with no user or development mix.
Nope. But again, it's a facility built for a specific purpose. I expect in 15 years the whole thing will be overgrown and the muskrats will rule all.

Quote:
You're wrong here. Refurbished brick looks great, Klinker brick looks great out of the kiln, split brick often looks decent. Edmonton used to be a hotbed for bricks/brick plants with several operating but alas cheap vinyl siding pretty much dampened the industry. With whats still used often tending to be cheaper, larger bricks that have all the appeal of red concrete blocks. Theres definitely beautiful brick, we're just seeing much less of it here in current construction.

I think people have developed a bad opinion of brick due to price, and the lowest common denominator brick used in current construction. Also that everything today is pretty much "running bond" instead of more intricate bonds, arches etc.
So what you're saying is you dig brick?

Quote:
Far from timeless? St Albert Place is a renowned work of architecture cited the world over and most definitely is wearing it well. Beautiful enjoyable facility and well constructed/designed.
St. Albert place is the architecture equivalent of wall-to-wall carpet IMO. So painfully 80s, soooo brown. See, Aesthetics are a deeply personal thing, it's fine to not like the new arena's look, but to me it's like you've started from that point and worked backwards to find criticisms to justify you not liking the look.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
How many of the complainers in this thread even live in Edmonton? Honest question.
Always have, why? Plus its a bit odd to put people that were perfectly fine with not building a new arena as "complainers" I dare say the complainers are the ones citing Rexall as unusable or untenable.

Quote:
Dallas isn't exactly a winter city.

But I get the gist: you dig brick.
Well of course I would. It would be next to impossible for me not to.

Quote:
St. Albert place is the architecture equivalent of wall-to-wall carpet IMO. So painfully 80s, soooo brown. See, Aesthetics are a deeply personal thing, it's fine to not like the new arena's look, but to me it's like you've started from that point and worked backwards to find criticisms to justify you not liking the look.
Well perhaps I have a well developed understanding of the Edmonton based brick industry, designers, architects etc. It is unfortunate that in lieu of dreck housing after dreck housing wave that the industry died down. Edmonton as stated was a former hotbed brick industry. Edmonton showed a lot of promise in that industry and that should have been supported. it was a big buck industry but race to the bottom cheap architectural cladding fairly killed it in this market. Some former brick plants hit the dust. Its too bad.

So yeah I support a local manufactured traditionally used material here over a lot of the crap that gets imported here from other regions (not supporting local industry) and of course I would.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Soundwave

I don't like brick. Lets use ice

Old
02-13-2014, 02:11 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't like brick. Lets use ice
Maybe Katz can build an ice hotel instead of the invisible hotel..

Or maybe he's waiting for the city to pay for that too.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:27 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Not always the case. But this design is fraught with difficulty and oddly as much as the last one was. In short were looking at immutable exterior here, no room for expansion ever, so from the moment this new shiny arena is built its inflexible, obsolete, not fit for massive retrofits etc. How we went from one design to another like this without even giving that a second thought is a complete mystery. What we have with the new arena from conception is fairly limited attendance for this hotbed market, and a design that stresses "high tech" functionality. Really about the stupidest thing you could waste gobs of money on being that its the most likely aspect to become obsolete quickly. By all means have the highest capacity wired electrical system possible but I wonder how much is being pissed away on high tech gadgetry that will wow for 5-10 yrs then need replacing.

So we have here a cold stark domed shell with the one solace being its not vinyl siding. Thank the lord. Again this in a winter climate. Look around the Arts district downtown. We've already made this mistake and repeatedly. Other than the Citadel every structure lacking color. Pastels, silvers and off whites in a winter climate where all backdrop is white snow. Whoever this made sense to should take remedial education on exterior designs for northern climates.

It's extremely ignorant to come up with such strong opinions based simply on renderings. I have poured through these construction drawings and addendum after addendum to know the bold is 100% false.

The allowance for expansion exists in almost ever single detail of the design. The entire shell is actually compartment-ed in order to allow for retrofit across the street. It has been completely detailed with 200+ pages of drawings in the event of expansion...

You can criticize the rendering all you want but look at the detailed design before you spout off about the design restraints.

The street level is also very unique as there are a number spaces designed to interact separate from the main structure. There are at least 15 street level entrances that will be restaurants / shops etc. that will act independent of gate driven traffic. Most of these with very open concept floor to ceiling openings for what I can only imagine will be street level patios etc.

The drawings are available to view on a number on web based tender sites so I would encourage you to have a look.

Old
02-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
It's extremely ignorant to come up with such strong opinions based simply on renderings. I have poured through these construction drawings and addendum after addendum to know the bold is 100% false.

The allowance for expansion exists in almost ever single detail of the design. The entire shell is actually compartment-ed in order to allow for retrofit across the street. It has been completely detailed with 200+ pages of drawings in the event of expansion...

You can criticize the rendering all you want but look at the detailed design before you spout off about the design restraints.

The street level is also very unique as there are a number spaces designed to interact separate from the main structure. There are at least 15 street level entrances that will be restaurants / shops etc. that will act independent of gate driven traffic. Most of these with very open concept floor to ceiling openings for what I can only imagine will be street level patios etc.

The drawings are available to view on a number on web based tender sites so I would encourage you to have a look.
So some questions then. Are the lower seats retractable as they are at Rexall for flexibility to house various events? Is the facility expandable to a 20K capacity facility when that is required? i.e. immediately.

One of the reasons I'm so against this facility is its an 18K build in one of the hottest entertainment markets in the world. So yes, theres problems with this building being assessable with limited capacity from the world go.

Coliseum was actually proactive in overbuilding capacity with a view to NHL and increased demand. Is that an option with this build?

Old
02-13-2014, 04:00 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
So some questions then. Are the lower seats retractable as they are at Rexall for flexibility to house various events? Is the facility expandable to a 20K capacity facility when that is required? i.e. immediately.

One of the reasons I'm so against this facility is its an 18K build in one of the hottest entertainment markets in the world. So yes, theres problems with this building being assessable with limited capacity from the world go.

Coliseum was actually proactive in overbuilding capacity with a view to NHL and increased demand. Is that an option with this build?
Yes, the lower rows are removable and tracked for expanded surface.

There are complete details for expanded seating but it won't happen without other expansions.

I'm sure the designers went through a number of studies to determine the amount of seating they deem to be required. I have no reason to question those studies. 18,600 or there abouts is the actual arena seated capacity.

Old
02-13-2014, 04:20 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

So putting all the politics aside, we will be arguing about that for decades. I think the arena looks amazing. I don't get how poeple say it looks ugly. I mean, it is a cutting edge building. IT looks sharp, it is eye catching. IT is amazing. Love it.

Closed Thread