HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Arena Thread: Rogers Place? Yawn...

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
I'm not a big fan of how it looks, but frankly it looks better than 99% of downtown and it a huge improvement on what the city has now. I'm incredibly excited for it.

Old
02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So some questions then. Are the lower seats retractable as they are at Rexall for flexibility to house various events? Is the facility expandable to a 20K capacity facility when that is required? i.e. immediately.

One of the reasons I'm so against this facility is its an 18K build in one of the hottest entertainment markets in the world. So yes, theres problems with this building being assessable with limited capacity from the world go.

Coliseum was actually proactive in overbuilding capacity with a view to NHL and increased demand. Is that an option with this build?
I couldn't give away tickets to the Oilers vs Sharks game last month so I wouldn't say that adding a couple of thousand seats makes the rink too limited in capacity.

Old
02-13-2014, 04:31 PM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

@JasonGregor: Seats at Rogers place will be minimum 19 inches wide, one inch bigger than Rexall. Also will have 1000 seats that are 21 inches. #Oilers

Bodybuilders and the morbidly obese of Edmonton rejoice!

Last edited by RisingSun: 02-13-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old
02-13-2014, 04:59 PM
trick91

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
So putting all the politics aside, we will be arguing about that for decades. I think the arena looks amazing. I don't get how poeple say it looks ugly. I mean, it is a cutting edge building. IT looks sharp, it is eye catching. IT is amazing. Love it.
the same people complaining about the funding model of the arena are now complaining about the look of it AND the funding model still to this day. Some people are going to complain and complain no matter how it looks/funded.

Old
02-13-2014, 05:15 PM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
So some questions then. Are the lower seats retractable as they are at Rexall for flexibility to house various events? Is the facility expandable to a 20K capacity facility when that is required? i.e. immediately.

One of the reasons I'm so against this facility is its an 18K build in one of the hottest entertainment markets in the world. So yes, theres problems with this building being assessable with limited capacity from the world go.

Coliseum was actually proactive in overbuilding capacity with a view to NHL and increased demand. Is that an option with this build?
To the bolded..... As an expat (and fiercely loyal) Canadian ( who now calls it when I see it) I have to ask ..... Is there a basis for the grandiosity of this (on the face of it, provincial) statement of fact (attitude/opinion)

Old
02-13-2014, 05:19 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
To the bolded..... As an expat (and fiercely loyal) Canadian ( who now calls it when I see it) I have to ask ..... Is there a basis for the grandiosity of this (on the face of it, provincial) statement of fact (attitude/opinion)
Well I would say Edmonton is a hot entertainment market. We get a lot more concerts, exhibits, ect than our pop would indicate. Edmonton is a wealthy city. Thus even though it is only 1 mill, it gets entertainment like it was a 2.5 mill ish city.

It is not New York, or Los Angeles, Clearly, but, it is a big entertainment market. will be until the oil dries up.

Old
02-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/01/1...s-in-the-world

3rd busiest arena in Canada, 26th busiest in the world.

Old
02-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Nothing grandiose about it. Rexall Place has been as high as topten in the WORLD in Pollstar concert numbers. People buy up tickets to anything here like crazy. Many A list entertainers end up doing 2 shows here like in NY and LA. With performances being sold out pretty much as soon as they're on sale for sought after acts.

Old
02-13-2014, 08:55 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
On Stauffer's show a couple of days ago that Daily Doug guy had a great suggestion that would have been great (but isn't happening).

We should have petitioned the league to have a bigger ice surface. Not Olympic sized but that hybrid size they have in Finland (i believe it's Finland). It would reflect the skating and skill identity of the Oilers and I believe we could have succeeded in getting it if we really wanted it. There is precedent for it in that MLB doesn't have every field to the exact same specs.

It would also give us an advantage in that more Oilers would be selected to the Olympics because they would be more used to bigger ice.

Also just on an ending note, the game has changed. Players are bigger and faster than before. It's not that crazy to expect the rink to change as well. I like the look of the game with more room out there.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

There is no way the NHL would ever have allowed for that without first doing BoG meetings at the very least.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Krut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
On Stauffer's show a couple of days ago that Daily Doug guy had a great suggestion that would have been great (but isn't happening).

We should have petitioned the league to have a bigger ice surface. Not Olympic sized but that hybrid size they have in Finland (i believe it's Finland). It would reflect the skating and skill identity of the Oilers and I believe we could have succeeded in getting it if we really wanted it. There is precedent for it in that MLB doesn't have every field to the exact same specs.

It would also give us an advantage in that more Oilers would be selected to the Olympics because they would be more used to bigger ice.

Also just on an ending note, the game has changed. Players are bigger and faster than before. It's not that crazy to expect the rink to change as well. I like the look of the game with more room out there.
That sounds horrible.

Old
02-13-2014, 09:44 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
That arena in Russia looks awesome.. Katz steal the idea and make the outside of the arena a big digital scorboard.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:41 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:

I think the NHL as a league really missed the boat on this issue in the past 10-15 years. This should have been addressed when the wave of new arenas first started being built. With Edmonton being one of the last cities to build an arena I think it's too late to do anything about it. I can't see the league interested in having one arena with different dimensions than the rest of them. They were thrilled when the Sabres moved out of the old auditorium because it was smaller than regulation.

Baseball stadiums may have different dimensions in the outfield but the infields, with the exception of pitchers mounds I suppose, are identical because that's where most of the play is. That isn't messed with. A throw across the diamond from third to first is the same everywhere as is a catchers throw to second base. If you changed that in a few parks it would be too much of an advantage for one team. I think it would be the same thing for a hockey rink. Like I said, it would be a different story if everybody was playing under those conditions. That ship sailed about fifteen years ago.

Old
02-14-2014, 08:35 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
@JasonGregor: Seats at Rogers place will be minimum 19 inches wide, one inch bigger than Rexall. Also will have 1000 seats that are 21 inches. #Oilers

Honestly the width of the seats doesn't really matter all that much. Make them 23 inches wide won't really matter if the seat in front of you is too close.
Quote:

Totally different ball of wax. NHL isn't going to have different ice surface sizes unless they are forced to. It is crazy to expect the rink to change at this point. The time to implement this was back in the the early 90's when teams started making new barns. But with over half the arenas in the league being built between 93-99 you pretty much have to wait until those arenas are ready to be replaced to implement a change like that.

What would be the point of us stopping at hybrid ice surface anyway? At that point you might as well have it designed to international specs.

Not sure what it would cost to have an ice surface that can change sizes, but that's about the only thing I could see the NHL allowing.

Old
02-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Honestly the width of the seats doesn't really matter all that much. Make them 23 inches wide won't really matter if the seat in front of you is too close.

Totally different ball of wax. NHL isn't going to have different ice surface sizes unless they are forced to. It is crazy to expect the rink to change at this point. The time to implement this was back in the the early 90's when teams started making new barns. But with over half the arenas in the league being built between 93-99 you pretty much have to wait until those arenas are ready to be replaced to implement a change like that.

What would be the point of us stopping at hybrid ice surface anyway? At that point you might as well have it designed to international specs.

Not sure what it would cost to have an ice surface that can change sizes, but that's about the only thing I could see the NHL allowing.
The Saddledome and MTS Centre in Winnipeg both can convert to Olympic size if needed but it's a completely unnecessary feature now that ice rinks are allowed to be NHL sized for International events on North American soil.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:15 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post

I would have thought the new arena would provide a bigger upgrade in seat width than that.

For example, all general seating at Investors Group Field is 21 inches in width and even the new budget-concious Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton will have 22-inch wide seats.

The 1000 seats that are 21 inches high at Rogers place probably will be the club seats so only available to the rich folks or tier 1++ in Kevin-Lowe speak.

Old
02-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I would have thought the new arena would provide a bigger upgrade in seat width than that.

For example, all general seating at Investors Group Field is 21 inches in width and even the new budget-concious Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton will have 22-inch wide seats.

The 1000 seats that are 21 inches high at Rogers place probably will be the club seats so only available to the rich folks or tier 1++ in Kevin-Lowe speak.
We're talking stadium vs Arena here though. Arena sq footage is more costly than Stadium so that comparison doesn't really work.

As to the latter point people will be surprised when they figure out how much of a proportion of seats in the new build are premium or luxury seats. There won't be many seats for Joe Hockey fan. This is a blueblood leveraged pricing build.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The Saddledome and MTS Centre in Winnipeg both can convert to Olympic size if needed but it's a completely unnecessary feature now that ice rinks are allowed to be NHL sized for International events on North American soil.
I'm totally fine with that. If you watch the Olympic games between good teams like Russis-USA today it's pretty clear the extra ice doesnt add much to the game. Teams collapse around the net, there's a little more room on the perimeter but less physical contact. Less hitting more transitions back and forth but no more actual scoring chances.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Paralyzer
Tier 13428 Oiler Fan

The New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

I disagree. It does matter. I got a friend who is overweight and loves watching oiler games, but he can't enjoy sitting in Rexall Place because the chairs are very uncomfortable. He's not HUGE but he has to sit closer to the edge of his seat to even feel remotely comfortable. And we all know everyone MUST sit back in their seat. Plus then theres the people who sit next to you who touch you because they got no room to move their arms or even get their wallet out of their pockets because of those stupid armrests. If they aren't gonna make the seats 22 inches wide, then at LEAST have moveable armrests! would make it a LOT more enjoyable.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:37 PM
dnicks17

We're at 1k.

New thread here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1605401

Closed Thread