HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev

Old
02-08-2007, 11:53 PM
AEKaki

vCash: 500
Pens fan from Montreal here...

Kovalev and Sammy on the same line is just crazy!
I've said it from the day he signed.
All my buddies were in their own world of Sammy-Kovy line... But its stupid to think it will work...
It won't work! They both like to play around with the puck TOO MUCH and they're not finishers. Koivu is not a pure finisher either.

From a neutral view:

Ryder - Higgins - Kovalev
Samsonov - Koivu - Lantendresse

would this work?

I think Kovalev needs the best sniper on the team on his line... with Ryder, you guys will see a big difference in offence...

Also, I noticed that Kovalev has his up and down shifts. If Carbo puts him on the 3rd or 4th for a game or 2... might help him rebound... When he was in Pittsburgh, he was best on the PP point. Why not try him and Souray on the point? That gives you 2 very powerfull shots from the point...

AEKaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCopterKey View Post
A struggling center paired with an underachieving LW and a useless RW on a team fighting for a playoff spot. Remind me again why Carbonneau got his job over thousands of fans?
Go read Hockey 101 noob.

Im sorry but Kovy play way better than Koivu in the past game and did not take hooking penality. Kovalev is still the only one that creates a little bit of offense and can carry the puck over the blue line on powerplay. Samsonov played well with Johnson et Bonk aswell.

So Mr. Hockey, please tell me how can we help Koivu to get out of his slump? Give him a defenseman and a 3rd line winger each side? Is that how he will score more goal or give him the 2 most talented winger of the team?

And btw, even Samsonov is having a bad season, i would much rather have him than Murray and Downey in the line-up today. HOLY ****... I STILL CANT BELIEVE Carbo prefers Murray and Downey over Samsonov today!!! What the hell is he thinking??

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:26 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_133 View Post
Although I know Higgins and Samsonov both play LW, if it were up to me, Koivu would center Samsonov and Higgins, and Kovalev would play with Plekanec and Ryder for now.
That's exactly what I would do as well, Kovy and Pleks are fairly good together, so lets pair Sammy and Koivu with Higgins and see how that works.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:27 AM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
And btw, even Samsonov is having a bad season, i would much rather have him than Murray and Downey in the line-up today. HOLY ****... I STILL CANT BELIEVE Carbo prefers Murray and Downey over Samsonov today!!! What the hell is he thinking??
Considering Downey played only 2minutes, not having Samsonov on the bench is a joke.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
The end of our problems, i've been saying this since freaking December. Dany Dubé & Ron Fournier agree 110% on that aswell, why the hell won't Carbo try it one day ? I'm not bashing the coach but god damnit put the three players who are paid to setup and score goals and GO, try it for at least 4 straight games. We don't have much to lose since we'r scoring 1 goal per game at the moment.

Its worth a shot at this point....

You say it will be the end of the team's problems... It has the potential to solve some problems but not all problems. Production wise, the team is very erratic right now which defeats the whole puprose of spreading out your talent. So you might as well load up your lines.

The other big problem is that the PK seems to let in 1, 2 or 3 PP goals per game whereas earlier in the season, it was usually 0, or 1 goal allowed at most in PK situations..... that all adds up. A samsonov/koivu/kovalev line cant fix this problem.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:35 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
I say give it a try.

Sammy-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder-Pleks-Higgins
Johnson-Bonk-Lats
Streit-Lapierre-Perez
Or at least put Sammy on Koivu's wing with Ryder or Higgins and see if we can get Sammy putting the puck in the net.
Something has to give...and soon too.....or we're not even gonna make the playoffs. This past month and a half have been completely disgraceful!!!!!!!!!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:49 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

It's worth the try, I would love to see that Saturday.
With Abby in net tho.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Another day, another thread/post about putting this line together.

Anyway...might as well try it. Nothing else seems to work.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:12 AM
psychonaut

Would be nice to try at less one of them togeter. Try Kovalev or Samsonov it more there strange that both have never been with Koivu.
Personaly I would do:

Perez Koivu Kovalev
Samsonov Pleck Higgins
Johnson Bonk Ryder(Streit)
Lats Laperiere Begin(Streit)

Do minor change no need to change to hole line one player up one player down once in a while to give it a push or whatnot!

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
jcpenny

How soon do people forget, these three have only been togheter once and it was for one shift against the Pittsburgh Penguins when they tied up the game late to send it in O.T.. They totally owned the Offensive zone for at least a minute before Dandenault scored. Carbo has to try it, i dont even know why he hasnt try it before...

Last edited by jcpenny: 02-09-2007 at 10:10 AM.
jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
How soon do people forget, these three have only been togheter one and it was for one shift against the Pittsburgh Penguins when they tie up the game late to send it O.T.. They totally owned the Offensive zone for at least a minute before Dandenault scored. Carbo has to try it, i dont even know why he hasnt try it before...

Et voila.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Kramy

Quote:
Carbo has to try it, i dont even know why he hasnt try it before...
I agree, but Carbo feels like his team doesn't have enough offensive depth to use koivu and Kovalev on the same line. He's wrong! Just TRY IT, Guy! I disagree with you!

Latendresse - Plekanec - Johnson
Higgins - Bonk - Ryder

Any 4th line as long as it involves Lapierre at center.

Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

-There is one combination that Carbo hasn't try : put Samso with Koivu
-Even if the first line is not working, I think that we have to put ryder on the 4th line or scratch him and not Higgy or Saku!
-Pleks and Kovy & Bonk and Johnson played well together!
-Recall Grabovski or Kostitsyn!!

Here's my lines :

Samsonov - Koivu - Latendresse/Higgins
Higgins/Latendresse - Plekanec - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson
Streit - Lapierre - Grabo or Kosti

EVEN IF WE CHANGE THE LINES, THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO MAKE A MAJOR TRADE!!! SO GAINEY, PLEASE MAKE A MAJOR TRADE THAT BRINGS A MAJOR PLAYER!

Vanek20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:27 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDamned View Post
The end of our problems, i've been saying this since freaking December. Dany Dubé & Ron Fournier agree 110% on that aswell, why the hell won't Carbo try it one day ? I'm not bashing the coach but god damnit put the three players who are paid to setup and score goals and GO, try it for at least 4 straight games. We don't have much to lose since we'r scoring 1 goal per game at the moment.
Yeah, Let's package them and TRADE them to another team !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
xxsciroccoxx*

at this point Carbo might as well give it a try!

xxsciroccoxx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
brownman*

I agree this trio should be given a shot, but at the same time...which one of them is gonna shoot the puck? Kovalev will only shoot if he's already spun past 2 defenders

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:41 PM
simz78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
How soon do people forget, these three have only been togheter once and it was for one shift against the Pittsburgh Penguins when they tied up the game late to send it in O.T.. They totally owned the Offensive zone for at least a minute before Dandenault scored. Carbo has to try it, i dont even know why he hasnt try it before...
I agree, live or die with your best players till the end of this season. Make them responsible.

simz78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
I agree this trio should be given a shot, but at the same time...which one of them is gonna shoot the puck?
Honestly? Koivu. He's scored quite a few of those goals on feeds or rebounds from Kovalev.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:03 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Honestly? Koivu. He's scored quite a few of those goals on feeds or rebounds from Kovalev.
Certainly has but at the same time, all three of possession type guys and shooting won't necessarily be the priority with Sammy on the perimeter, Koivu looking for an open man and Kovalev trying to work his way through 2 or 3 defenders for a shot. It's a rather pessimistic thought I know, but either way I'd still love these guys to be put together for more than 2 shifts spread out over a dozen games.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Habs Man

NHL '07:

CHEMISTRY - 100%

Come on GUY...

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:05 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I just really want to try this second line.. one of these two

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Higgins - Plekanec - Samsonov.

Speed, reliability (Higs + pleks) and offensive skill.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:37 PM
Phailak

You know, there is so little to be excited about these games, why not try this Sammy - Koivu - Kovy line for a few games. I'd be excited to just see them try, finally a line with players all making good salaries, a real first line. Well, real... at least salary wise. Nothing against Ryder or Higgins, but I'd just love to see these three guys start producing all of a sudden!

Phailak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Maddas*

I used to think the logic behind not playing your three best players on the same line was about not putting all your eggs in the same basket. I'm becoming more and more sceptical about this however. Considering how hopeless we've been lately coupled with the fact that it's about the only line that's not been tried yet I'd do it.

One might argue that a place on the first line is something you earn, but on current form nobody does.

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Juggling the lines what an original idea.

And if it doesn't work what do we do then? Aww I get it, juggle the lines some more...

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:52 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Go read Hockey 101 noob.

Im sorry but Kovy play way better than Koivu in the past game and did not take hooking penality. Kovalev is still the only one that creates a little bit of offense and can carry the puck over the blue line on powerplay. Samsonov played well with Johnson et Bonk aswell.

So Mr. Hockey, please tell me how can we help Koivu to get out of his slump? Give him a defenseman and a 3rd line winger each side? Is that how he will score more goal or give him the 2 most talented winger of the team?

Koivu's a big boy, he can get out of the slump himself.

It's up to Carbonneau to get the team as many points as he can so he's utilizing players like Johnson and Bonk who're actually showing up to play instead of struggling players. He can't help his best players playing like crap.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote