HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 Draft and our position..

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
  #1
dank
Registered User
 
dank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 500
2007 Draft and our position..

I was checking out McKeens Digest, and checking their top 10 rankings for the 2007 Draft, i see a bunch of Centers. I then proceeded to hope that we were in the bottom 10 in the league so that we could get someone solid to boost our farm. Yep, checking the standings we are squarely 10th from the bottom..

we haven't recently had a good crack at a top, top offensive player in the top end of the draft (correct me if i'm wrong and no, Jessiman doesn't count), we keep hanging around mid-round..

if we do fall into the top 10, who do you think we should get?

and

How far conceivably do you think we can fall? (definitely not to no. 1 or 2, but something reasonable)


this is not necessarily a simple "dooms-day thread", it is more along the lines of a draft day/realist combo.

P.S. for reference they have Kane, Esposito, Turris, Cherepanov, Couture, Gagner, and Sutter in the top 10..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
  #2
In The Flesh
Registered User
 
In The Flesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,731
vCash: 500
first pick, probably a center, since we are pretty deep on the blueline.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:26 AM
  #3
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,520
vCash: 500
yep I think D is pretty solidified. Center first unless there's a top notch can't miss winger available.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
  #4
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,906
vCash: 500
I like Sutter and the Van Riemsdyk kid from Jersey.

I would like for the Rangers to go after a guy who is low risk and is got the tools to play. Like a Sutter. Not flashy just touted to be a solid player.

The way the league is now...

1 NASHVILLE 79
2 BUFFALO 78
3 DETROIT 76
4 NEW JERSEY 74
5 ANAHEIM 74
6 SAN JOSE 71
7 ATLANTA 69
8 DALLAS 66
9 CALGARY 65
10 PITTSBURGH 65
11 OTTAWA 65
12 VANCOUVER 64
13 MINNESOTA 64
14 MONTREAL 64
15 CAROLINA 63
16 TAMPA BAY 62
17 TORONTO 60
18 NYISLANDERS 59
19 COLORADO 56
20 EDMONTON 56
21 NY RANGERS 55
22 WASHINGTON 54
23 BOSTON 52
24 PHOENIX 52
25 ST LOUIS 52
26 FLORIDA 51
27 CHICAGO 49
28 COLUMBUS 49
29 LOS ANGELES 45
30 PHILADELPHIA 34


Bottom 6 go into the lottery for the top pick, but look at all the teams bunched together in groups of 50's and 60's that could drop or go up in a single game...

The Rangers right now are in the 10th spot.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:14 PM
  #5
schmieder44
Registered User
 
schmieder44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
wow just about 2 games from a top 5 draft pick. We'll where ever we land Ive always been a proponent of BPA. So if a top D man available and only maybe a 2nd line center you draft the #1 Dman.

schmieder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
  #6
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,404
vCash: 500
With our first pick - best player available.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
  #7
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
With our first pick - best player available.
I always agree on BPA, but its tricky. Goaltending is something I might pass up to get a quality forward or Dman if I feel my team has depth in the net.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:28 PM
  #8
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I always agree on BPA, but its tricky. Goaltending is something I might pass up to get a quality forward or Dman if I feel my team has depth in the net.
We may not have that depth by the time the draft rolls around, if Montoya is dealt.

Either way, I'd rather not take a goalie that high.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:30 PM
  #9
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
We may not have that depth by the time the draft rolls around, if Montoya is dealt.

Either way, I'd rather not take a goalie that high.
I think the Montoya/Horton talk is all rubbish right now.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:32 PM
  #10
dumpsathernow*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I like Sutter and the Van Riemsdyk kid from Jersey.

I would like for the Rangers to go after a guy who is low risk and is got the tools to play. Like a Sutter. Not flashy just touted to be a solid player.

The way the league is now...

1 NASHVILLE 79
2 BUFFALO 78
3 DETROIT 76
4 NEW JERSEY 74
5 ANAHEIM 74
6 SAN JOSE 71
7 ATLANTA 69
8 DALLAS 66
9 CALGARY 65
10 PITTSBURGH 65
11 OTTAWA 65
12 VANCOUVER 64
13 MINNESOTA 64
14 MONTREAL 64
15 CAROLINA 63
16 TAMPA BAY 62
17 TORONTO 60
18 NYISLANDERS 59
19 COLORADO 56
20 EDMONTON 56
21 NY RANGERS 55
22 WASHINGTON 54
23 BOSTON 52
24 PHOENIX 52
25 ST LOUIS 52
26 FLORIDA 51
27 CHICAGO 49
28 COLUMBUS 49
29 LOS ANGELES 45
30 PHILADELPHIA 34


Bottom 6 go into the lottery for the top pick, but look at all the teams bunched together in groups of 50's and 60's that could drop or go up in a single game...

The Rangers right now are in the 10th spot.
No way should they try to draft a Sutter type. That's all they have drafted for years. They need to take the most explosive offensive player available.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
  #11
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I think the Montoya/Horton talk is all rubbish right now.
I agree, though I wasnt referring to that specifically. If a big move is made, Montoya is likely to be included. This of course depends on which team we trade with (and their depth in net) but I think Montoya is one bargaining chip the team wont be too hesitant to trade.

If he is moved, I hope the team doesnt try to pick up another goalie in the first round. I would much rather have a 2nd or 3rd round pickup, or a few picked late.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:44 PM
  #12
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,674
vCash: 500
I can't see them trading Montoya unless is for an established guy in his 20's.

Monty won't be dealt for someone like Forsberg.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
  #13
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,197
vCash: 500
Awards:
I'm thinking we'll wind up with the 8th pick in the draft. There's nothing scientific to that, it's just a guess. Wherever we pick, I want to take a center. Or a high-scoring forward, if that's the BPA. No goalies or D-men.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:33 PM
  #14
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I can't see them trading Montoya unless is for an established guy in his 20's.

Monty won't be dealt for someone like Forsberg.
Yikes, no I agree with you on that. I just cant see the Rangers not making a big move in the near future. And by big move I mean someone who is in or nearing their prime, be it Richards before his NTC goes into effect this summer, Horton, a struggling established guy like Nash... I dont know.

I just feel like the Rangers havnt made a splash in a while, and that usually doesnt last.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 03:29 PM
  #15
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Yikes, no I agree with you on that. I just cant see the Rangers not making a big move in the near future. And by big move I mean someone who is in or nearing their prime, be it Richards before his NTC goes into effect this summer, Horton, a struggling established guy like Nash... I dont know.

I just feel like the Rangers havnt made a splash in a while, and that usually doesnt last.
Nash? dude, i would trade 2 Montoya's for Nash.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
  #16
Leprechaun
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ/Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 63
vCash: 500
I think that it's imperative that this organization aquires a big time offensive prospect, preferably at the center position. We are not bad at the defensive end and, barring a trade that includes montoya, pretty set between the pipes for now. What the rangers sorely lack is prospective offensive talent. As much as i generally follow the best player available rule, i think we should lean toward a center, or at least a forward.

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:06 PM
  #17
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,998
vCash: 500
With the Rangers making deals there are too many potential wild cards right now. I'm waiting to see where things stand when the dealing is done. But it could just boil down to BPA again and that's worked very well the last couple years.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:30 PM
  #18
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
I was checking out McKeens Digest, and checking their top 10 rankings for the 2007 Draft, i see a bunch of Centers.
Good young players all play center. The talent is a lot thinner in junior and the best players always get put into the middle. The real trick for the scouts is to find a center who really is a center. That is best left to the professionals which is why I always rely on BPA.

bobbop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:34 PM
  #19
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
With our first pick - best player available.
that's been the key to our draft the last couple of years. We've gotten some pretty good players.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:43 PM
  #20
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
I agree that most of the time, BPA is the best way to go.

If we can get a center that's a future #1 at our position, I do it.

Otherwise, I go with BPA.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:47 PM
  #21
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
The Rangers aren't exactly deep with talent on the wings either.

If they can't get the future top-line center, get a future top-line winger.

Defense is pretty much set, although a lot of good defensemen is a good thing.

A goaltender behind Montoya would be nice as well.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:04 AM
  #22
gaglinefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Attention Don and Glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
With our first pick - best player available.
thank you so much. Please stop trying to draft a niche player and take the best athlete you can find... we need athletes and players, not projects or goalies this time around. Lets keep building a team for the future. Note that guys from '04 are producing in the league right now er NHL not minor lol.
cc: Glen Sather, Don Maloney

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:18 AM
  #23
SaveHextall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I can't see them trading Montoya unless is for an established guy in his 20's.

Monty won't be dealt for someone like Forsberg.
So you want an established guy for an unestablished guy? I'm not sure too many other GM's would share that view.

I think if you were to deal Montoya for Forsberg, the cost may be a bit more than just AM alone.

SaveHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:31 AM
  #24
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,072
vCash: 500
Love Turris and Sutter.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:32 AM
  #25
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,260
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
The Rangers aren't exactly deep with talent on the wings either.

If they can't get the future top-line center, get a future top-line winger.

Defense is pretty much set, although a lot of good defensemen is a good thing.

A goaltender behind Montoya would be nice as well.
Even if a top D man drops we HAVE to take him. You can always trade players. Better to have one that you know will be in the NHL at a position of strength than a player that might make it at a position that you are weak.

A guy like Petricki is the type of defenseman we don't have. A crease clearer.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.