HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Weber?

View Poll Results: Should Poile think of trading Weber to add to offense?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Wait for him to ask 0 0%
Only for an extreme overpayment(Top three player,Top six prospect,top 4D, and a 1st) 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2014, 10:07 AM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
I still think if Legwand was part of the future here he would be signed. The only thing that would dispute that is if there is a backroom deal between him and DP to trade him to a team that has a cup chance then he re-signs here in the offseason. Even if the second scenario is whats going on can we see Leggy top 6 going forward I doubt that. If He is moved before the trade deadline and its not to a Legit cup threat then hes pretty much gone.

One a brighter note the US team looks good against Slov's. Kinda little justice though that Suter brainfarted leading to a goal. (Bless his Heart)
With your first sentence and the fact that smoke is heavy about shopping him i think he is gone. The Preds are ready to move on from Legwand IMO. Unless he is willing to bring an asset ay the deadline and then sign a hometown discount this summer.

Old
02-13-2014, 04:22 PM
HoptownPred

vCash: 1323
I know we aren't the only team that cherishes draft picks, so why not package our1st pick in a deal? We're gonna have a top 10(minimum) pick this year, so use that and lesser assets to get this scorer we really need. All our top pieces stay in place and we get our man.

Old
02-13-2014, 05:58 PM
PredsHabs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Looking at Weber's numbers, even if we trade him for an emerging young forward or even a proven forward, he scores in the neighborhood of 50 or so points a year, even if the forward returning is able to score 80 in a season on average, is that extra 30 points worth it? You need a top 3 and top 6 forward to make it work if they're in the neighborhood of 130-150 points per season. Not sure any team is going to give that up, even for Weber.
I could see just about every team calling but the list of teams that can offer what we need is another thing. What teams do you see actually making a pitch to Poile maybe at draft?

Old
02-13-2014, 07:24 PM
RCola88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoptownPred View Post
I know we aren't the only team that cherishes draft picks, so why not package our1st pick in a deal? We're gonna have a top 10(minimum) pick this year, so use that and lesser assets to get this scorer we really need. All our top pieces stay in place and we get our man.
The only thing with trading the first, which I like, is not many teams with a surplus of top 6 forwards will part with a good forward for just a draft pick. They are in win now mode. Maybe the first + roster player (Wilson or something) + prospect for Eberle, but I don't think the Oil will want that. Cammalleri is the only other thing that comes to mind

Old
02-13-2014, 07:31 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I could see just about every team calling but the list of teams that can offer what we need is another thing. What teams do you see actually making a pitch to Poile maybe at draft?
If I'm Poile, and I've said this in numerous threads, there are only a few targets that are viable players that we could acquire and it make sense.

Backstrom
Duchesne
Hall & Eberle
Kopitar

To me, those are the only guys that make sense. And to be honest, even though it's two players, I'm not sure I would trade Weber for Hall & Eberle. The other three are dominant centers that play solid two way games. Backstrom and Kopitar have done it for years now and Duchesne finally came in to his own this year.

Trading for guys like Malkin, Stamkos or Crosby would never happen so we'd have to look at the next tier down and these are the guys I'd target. There would be a + with every single one of them but not huge ones, maybe a prospect or pick added.

Like I stated earlier though, with Weber's offensive numbers plus what he does defensively, you have to look at 130-150 points coming back in players and one guy is not going to do that so in essence, the + would have to be another 50-60 point guy and I don't know if there are any other players on those teams that fill that need and if those teams would trade them as well. So thinking about it, Weber is almost an asset that can't be traded.

Old
02-13-2014, 10:57 PM
PredsHabs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If I'm Poile, and I've said this in numerous threads, there are only a few targets that are viable players that we could acquire and it make sense.

Backstrom
Duchesne
Hall & Eberle
Kopitar

To me, those are the only guys that make sense. And to be honest, even though it's two players, I'm not sure I would trade Weber for Hall & Eberle. The other three are dominant centers that play solid two way games. Backstrom and Kopitar have done it for years now and Duchesne finally came in to his own this year.

Trading for guys like Malkin, Stamkos or Crosby would never happen so we'd have to look at the next tier down and these are the guys I'd target. There would be a + with every single one of them but not huge ones, maybe a prospect or pick added.

Like I stated earlier though, with Weber's offensive numbers plus what he does defensively, you have to look at 130-150 points coming back in players and one guy is not going to do that so in essence, the + would have to be another 50-60 point guy and I don't know if there are any other players on those teams that fill that need and if those teams would trade them as well. So thinking about it, Weber is almost an asset that can't be traded.
I believe Hall and Edmontons first as long as it is top two this year would do it myself they can keep Eberle.
I think Edmonton will make a strong push at this years draft. Just have a feeling but who knows, Seeing how they are getting that new arena. I do not know if the Weber trade will ever come but I believe Edmonton is going to try one more time.

Last edited by PredsHabs: 02-13-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old
02-14-2014, 11:12 AM
dulzhok

Quote:

Backstrom
Duchesne
Hall & Eberle
Kopitar

To me, those are the only guys that make sense. And to be honest, even though it's two players, I'm not sure I would trade Weber for Hall & Eberle. The other three are dominant centers that play solid two way games. Backstrom and Kopitar have done it for years now and Duchesne finally came in to his own this year..
Although Kopitar is great, he's 2 years away from UFA. We can't risk that.

Backstrom is a very good player, but I don't think he's dominant. He's had the benefit of playing with Ovechkin for most of his career. I'd certainly want him on my team, but not at the expense of Weber.

Duchene is great, but I'd take McKinnon over him for the long term.

I think Weber for McKinnon would be enticing. If the Avs start adding to that, all of the sudden, I think Poile would have to consider long and hard.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:22 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
I believe Hall and Edmontons first as long as it is top two this year would do it myself they can keep Eberle.
I think Edmonton will make a strong push at this years draft. Just have a feeling but who knows, Seeing how they are getting that new arena. I do not know if the Weber trade will ever come but I believe Edmonton is going to try one more time.
If EDM is willing to do Hall + this years first, that would be a massive payment.

Considering they can likely get Ekbad, who's 10 years younger than Weber, though of course needs years of development.

For us short term, it'd be somewhat of a step back.. Weber has more impact on the game than Hall, IMO. But throw in someone like Bennet.. in a couple of years all the sudden we have 2 young impact players, while Weber is in his 30s. Jones+Jones+MDZ sets up our future d-corps nicely.

But, it's all about how Poile and Co see the team now. If they are thinking this group is going to be Stanley Cup Competitive with a few tweaks, or if they need to re-tool with all eyes towards the future.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:34 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Jones+Jones+MDZ sets up our future d-corps nicely.
And we'd pretty much be guaranteed a lottery slot for the 2015 draft with that young D

Old
02-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Montross
Favoritism.

SMH. You put this roster in any other NHL city. I would put money down that you guys would be the ONLY ones actively trying to move your best player out of town. Weber is one of if not the best D-man in the world, a most-likely certain hall of fame entrant.

He is a player signed for life. You BUILD around him. You do not TRADE him in the prime of his career. Go ahead and trade Weber for however many Nathan Mackinnons and 1st round picks you want. Next, watch this fanbase circle the drain as their best player and face of the franchise was moved.

I think every hockey fan in the world except you guys appreciates what kind of talent he is and are envious/jealous that little ol' Nashville has him.

Old
02-14-2014, 12:18 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
SMH. You put this roster in any other NHL city. I would put money down that you guys would be the ONLY ones actively trying to move your best player out of town. Weber is one of if not the best D-man in the world, a most-likely certain hall of fame entrant.

He is a player signed for life. You BUILD around him. You do not TRADE him in the prime of his career. Go ahead and trade Weber for however many Nathan Mackinnons and 1st round picks you want. Next, watch this fanbase circle the drain as their best player and face of the franchise was moved.

I think every hockey fan in the world except you guys appreciates what kind of talent he is and are envious/jealous that little ol' Nashville has him.

You get a cookie.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-14-2014, 12:35 PM
preds1

vCash: 1548
Quote:

My opinion as well. Well done.....

Old
02-14-2014, 01:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Could not agree more. Weber is by far our best player ever.....

Old
02-14-2014, 01:40 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

As awesome as Weber is if you can land a number one center plus some other pieces you make the move. Why? How many stud defensemen does one team need? Josi is a better player than Suter was at this age and Jones is going to be a beast so we've got our next Weber/Suter duo in the wings and if you add a number one center plus a kid like Forsberg plus whatever other pieces you may land in the deal for Weber we're a stronger and more balanced team in the long run, unless anyone thinks Poile will land a number one center in the draft who's ready to contribute in the next two years which I doubt happens based on his track record of drafting forwards. I'd hate to see Weber go but if we get the right pieces back it's worth it long term.

Old
02-14-2014, 01:57 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:

Your missing the forest for the trees in this case.

This isn't a good team. This wasn't a good team last year. This isn't a franchise that has had any sort of real success when it counts. With the imbalance between the strength of the defense and the weakness of the forward corps - this is a team that is poorly built.

And worse, this isn't a team that looks like it has alot of help on the way. The farm has one real A-level prospect in Forsberg. That's it.

I guess this boils down to this - who has confidence that Poile/Trotz can put enough pieces around guys like Weber/Rinne to actually make any sort of impact in the NHL in the next few years while Weber is in his prime?

I just get the feeling that 5-6 years from now, we'll be looking back wondering how we got so little from a team that had arguably the world's best defenseman and goaltender.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:15 PM
weeze

"•Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: (Feb. 9th mail bag) Panaccio hasn’t heard any rumbling of the Flyers looking for offense leading up to the trade deadline. He doesn’t see the Flyers doing anything major until the summer. The Predators have stocked up on young defenseman and they could be willing to trade Shea Weber this summer. If it happens, the Flyers will be a major player. He won’t be moved at the trade deadline as the Predators will be able to get more at the draft."

Found this on another site, not sure how I feel about it though. I love watching SW play and glad the Preds kept him, but I am not sure that the Preds will be able to do enough to improve the Offense side to make a difference. Only looking at past/current moves, the last time we had good scoring teams was with Arnott, Karyia, Dumont and Sullivan. Yes they were all in the end of their prime or later but they could score! Can't say that about any of our current forwards. So sad!

Part of me wants to keep SW and part of me wants to get as much top talent for him as we can. I just don't know...

Old
02-14-2014, 02:24 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
"•Tim Panaccio of CSN Philly: (Feb. 9th mail bag) Panaccio hasn’t heard any rumbling of the Flyers looking for offense leading up to the trade deadline. He doesn’t see the Flyers doing anything major until the summer. The Predators have stocked up on young defenseman and they could be willing to trade Shea Weber this summer. If it happens, the Flyers will be a major player. He won’t be moved at the trade deadline as the Predators will be able to get more at the draft."

Found this on another site, not sure how I feel about it though. I love watching SW play and glad the Preds kept him, but I am not sure that the Preds will be able to do enough to improve the Offense side to make a difference. Only looking at past/current moves, the last time we had good scoring teams was with Arnott, Karyia, Dumont and Sullivan. Yes they were all in the end of their prime or later but they could score! Can't say that about any of our current forwards. So sad!

Part of me wants to keep SW and part of me wants to get as much top talent for him as we can. I just don't know...
We had none of Arnott, Kariya, Sullivan, Dumont two seasons ago when the Preds were the 8th best scoring team, best PP, in the league.

Old
02-14-2014, 02:59 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
\
We all want to keep Weber. But we also know we have like a 1.3% chance of obtaining young top-end offensive talent without trading Weber.

And the scenario some people don't like to face-- Weber may want out. He said he wanted to play with more talent before he signed an extension, and we've gotten worse since he said that. Logic would suggest it's a real possibility he'll want out if we don't turn it around quickly.

It's not a win-win situation. It's a desperate situation. When things are desperate, hard decisions have to be made-- OR you can do what you'll always done and things get worse (the story of the Nashville Predators the last 2 years). If things had been addressed before they were desperate, we'd be in a much easier position right now. But they weren't, and we're not.

Old
02-14-2014, 03:21 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:

God I hope not, the only thing that interests me from them is Giroux. I do not see the hype of either Schenn brother or Couturier. A defensive center with limited offensive potential is not what we need. I wouldn't be surprised if neither B. Schenn or Couturier hit 60 points in there career, totally overrated prospects and I doubt we ever move Weber especially since it's obviously clear how our team is being built right now. The Klein trade made it abundantly clear that Weber goes nowhere. This is just Philly dreaming about stuff that's not going to happen.

Old
02-14-2014, 04:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
We all want to keep Weber. But we also know we have like a 1.3% chance of obtaining young top-end offensive talent without trading Weber.
I estimate there's a 80-90% chance that that "1.3%" number is just as fabricated as my "80-90%".

Quote:
And the scenario some people don't like to face-- Weber may want out.
The alternative to this, apparently, would be being convinced that there's no "maybe" about this at all, given the frequency with which it gets brought up by certain parties.

Quote:
It's not a win-win situation. It's a desperate situation.
Translation: "It's not completely perfect, therefore it's a total disaster in the making."

You realize, of course, that there are states in between "win-win" and "desperation", yes?

Old
02-14-2014, 04:44 PM
PredsHabs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
As awesome as Weber is if you can land a number one center plus some other pieces you make the move. Why? How many stud defensemen does one team need? Josi is a better player than Suter was at this age and Jones is going to be a beast so we've got our next Weber/Suter duo in the wings and if you add a number one center plus a kid like Forsberg plus whatever other pieces you may land in the deal for Weber we're a stronger and more balanced team in the long run, unless anyone thinks Poile will land a number one center in the draft who's ready to contribute in the next two years which I doubt happens based on his track record of drafting forwards. I'd hate to see Weber go but if we get the right pieces back it's worth it long term.
I see it that way as well, it is not like we are saying trade Weber for more third line players.

Plus we must not forget we still have Rinne.

Old
02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
PredsHabs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I saw this as well but I just believe Edmonton is more desperate than Philadelphia.

Old
02-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Preds33

Quote:
I see it that way as well, it is not like we are saying trade Weber for more third line players.

Plus we must not forget we still have Rinne.

The question is what Rinne do we have? I do not see him being the same as he was 2 or 3 years ago. IMO it's all downhill from here with him.

Old
02-14-2014, 05:21 PM
RomanEmpire

I think it's pretty simple. We don't have a good chance of being a good to great team with Weber, plus the forwards we have now. Chance of getting high end talent in free agency is slim to none.

With the young D & this organizations history of developing young defensive talent, we'd probably be a pretty solid team for a long time if we shopped Weber & say he brought back a Hall, Yak, 1st & a top prospect package. I don't want to see him go at all but it is what it is.

Old
02-14-2014, 05:22 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

Quote:

Only one or two fans want to trade Weber. Most of know what you are saying is true. Watching team Canada it is clear Weber is the best Defenseman on that team (which has two Norris popularity contest winners). The only people that want to trade him are chasing any offensive minded player and thinks that Trotz is going to allow that guy to develop. The only player I would trade Weber for is Crosby.

Closed Thread