HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doan Rumor - (E3-4) 1st Calgary, 2nd Montreal

Old
02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Skyblaze

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Who's number one ?
Forsberg ?
Wild guess, Ryan Smyth.

He won't be available though (you hear me K.Lowe!?! you do NOT trade Smyth!). It is after all a wish list, I'm pretty sure Bob would salivate at having Smyth on his team much more than Forsberg.

If I was him, I'd be pressing Lowe very hard. He's *exactly* what the Habs need; up to the point that I wouldn't be surprised to see even Higgins included in such a deal.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:13 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post
I'll admit he doesn't have the raw NHL stats, but he has proven himself under immense pressure on the international stage. I guess where I was going with it was; who do you want more in the trenches? A 6'3 surly power forward who will fight, hit, and score or a sugar plumb fairy like Datsyuk? (random example)

We would qualify him, he would play one under productive crappy year, and run off the next. You take me for a fool, but I just don't want your Ryder, mmk?
How has he proven himself? He's at about a .5 PPG stats on the international stage.

It's acceptable, but certainly not great.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
How do you figure this? I think you might have a misconception of Ryder's contract.
Because Ryder only has to play for any team for one more year after this one and then he becomes a UFA. If he doesn't like the 2, 3, 4 year offer coming from the Habs or any team he is traded for he doesn't need to sign it and can play under a one year offer. One year is all that is guaranteed.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH Iggins View Post
You make me swear... Are you kiding me ? Doan vs Price ??

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ok so... Peter Mueller + Enver Lisin vs Sheldon Souray ??

Get a life punk|
umm dude in all fairness the guy said that what they'll be asking...he didnt say thats what we need to give to get doan

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Habs13

to Pheonix:

J.Halak + M.Ryder (Try send Danis in place of Halak first...)

to Montreal:
S.Doan + O.Latendresse

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
to Pheonix:

J.Halak + M.Ryder (Try send Danis in place of Halak first...)

to Montreal:
S.Doan + O.Latendresse
If you're Phoenix, who do you want, Ryder 1.25 years, Perezhogin 3 years [?] ? I'm wondering when Phoenix' target date is for turning the corner ? Is a 1st worth more than a Perezhogin ? The 1st will be a few years away, if he makes it.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Some people don't know the meaning of value. By this post, you're saying that a Montreal 1st round pick (somewhere between 16-19th pick) is worth as much as a proven 30 goal scorer.
i think the value is a moving target... and a competitive one... i'm just throwing things out there... in any event to get a guy like doan we'd have to over pay because i imagine another team would if they really want him...

having said that... i think phoenix isn't about rebuilding as much as retooling with free agents. they'd probably prefer i guy who could contribute right away. but the first pick is there should they want to rebuild (which in barnett's case isn't likely) just trying to cover all the bases.

i am down on ryder these days and i don't think he's doing enough to prove he's a 30 goal scorer... but that's day to day... and he's a streaky goal scorer

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If you're Phoenix, who do you want, Ryder 1.25 years, Perezhogin 3 years [?] ? I'm wondering when Phoenix' target date is for turning the corner ? Is a 1st worth more than a Perezhogin ? The 1st will be a few years away, if he makes it.
A montreal 1st might not be...But their are many first that would be ready to step into the league and score more than Zhogin is.

Old
02-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
If I made the decisons I see the Yotes timetable being the time Mueller (18 yrs old), Hanzal (19), Yandle (20) are strong contributors and guys like Michalek, Ballard, Sjostrom are solid vets. That makes the 1st more valuable to me.

Of course I full expect Barnett to think completely differently than that.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:26 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
This is an Eklund rumor of a E3-E4 scale to Calgary and Montreal as a 2nd option.

Take it for what it is worth, just thought I would throw it out there for people to make mock proposals for.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=5353

Looks like there is another thread started here at the same time, sorry boys and girls.
I hope Eklund gets run over by a bus.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:28 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Way to add to the thread

Old
02-09-2007, 06:31 PM
mcphee

Quote:
A montreal 1st might not be...But their are many first that would be ready to step into the league and score more than Zhogin is.
I wanted to make a point about values .

Perezhogin, 22 or 23 ? Good wheels, still maturing, isn't scoring much,but could still be a dynamic offensive player.

Ryder, will get his goals, overall game avg. at best, a hot streak away from being loved again,but 27 and a year away from ufa

1st rd. pick, may be a star, may never play a game in the AHL, a crapshoot.

That's why I asked AY what I did.

I still think what Mtl has to offer in terms of a 1st and goalie prospect has to be attractive. I don't know if for Doan, but still, good assets.

Old
02-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Good point... probably Perezhogin.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:07 PM
Calamari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
did you watch the last LOST episode?? be careful about hitting people with busses

Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:47 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Doan is a UFA, that incredibly decreases his value. Ryder is a RFA, who will get 1/2 of Doan's salary if he's lucky.

If Doan were an RFA, he'd have much more value than Ryder...But Ryder gives Phoenix a 30 goal scorer for years to come. Hence the trade is very fair, if not in Phoenix' favor, since MTL won't have the money to re-sign Doan.
Ryder is not as highly touted a player as you seem to think he is. He does nothing but float around waiting for passes and to add insult to injury, he's about as good as he's going to get. Doan is a big experienced vet who can be used in any situation and makes things happen by himself. I would much rather take my chances on keeping a franchise player than a "proven" 30 goal scorer who's stock may go up in a couple years time and significantly takes away from what Doan brings the team.

Montreal doesn't even need Ryder, he's expendable. Trading him for a rental player wouldn't hurt their success in the future, I guarantee it.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:04 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCopterKey View Post
Ryder is not as highly touted a player as you seem to think he is. He does nothing but float around waiting for passes and to add insult to injury, he's about as good as he's going to get. Doan is a big experienced vet who can be used in any situation and makes things happen by himself. I would much rather take my chances on keeping a franchise player than a "proven" 30 goal scorer who's stock may go up in a couple years time and significantly takes away from what Doan brings the team.

Montreal doesn't even need Ryder, he's expendable. Trading him for a rental player wouldn't hurt their success in the future, I guarantee it.
It's easy to be critical of Ryder's game lately. I am. I don't see how scoring less helps a goal starved team.If he has a hot streak in him, they need to benefit from it.

Doan's a really atttractive player, but Ryder doesn't really make sense, unless Doan has a future here and I'd bet heavily that he doesn't. Besides, he makes no sense for Phoenix,as their posters have explained. They'd go young and cheap in a deal. I wonder how things would look if Doan finished out the year here and suited up beside Ryder in Phoenix next year ? Could easily happen.

Old
02-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think anybody has a really good grasp of what the market is going to bear, and past that, what individual teams are going to want for their guys. The Phoenix fans can speculate one thing, we can speculate another, and really, I think it's all very hand-wavey.

Personally, I'd give up a fair bit for Doan. Possibly including Ryder or Perezhogin.

But the drawback that I think Phoenix fans might need to recognize is that we're REALLY just talking about rentals here. IF Doan and his family love Phoenix like they say they do... okay, then guess what? They're probably only losing him for 4 months and he's back in a Coyote uniform on July 1st. How much do you really expect to get for giving up 20-some games of a player? How much is the other team going to be willing to pay? I think that without at least some hope of the player re-signing with us, our offer HAS to be due south of what all the prospect fans of opposing teams will want. But that's from us. A team with exceedingly little cap room opening up this summer and consequently with exceedingly little hope of ever re-signing anybody we trade for. If other bidders are in a different situation, then they should really be the focus of the discussions, not us.

Ryder has 15 goals, which is amongst our team leaders. If we had a more potent offense, he'd probably have 20-25 by now and still just be in the same ranking "amongst our leaders". He'll go as the team goes. However it goes. I find that most fans underrate that. If he was older or pricier, I'd underrate it too. But as we found out this summer, maybe just plugging in some "reliable" unidimensional offensive production on the UFA market isn't as easy as it's sometimes thought to be either. Getting Ryder squared away on a 3-year deal this summer would be a nice move for us, IMHO. Trading him for Doan... well, that's opening a can of Risk for sure. Since I'm a Doan acolyte from junior days, I'd do it just out of personal bias. But we'd probably regret it as soon as 5 months from now. Probably. Very probably, IMO. Well, okay, those of us who value what Ryder brings to us would regret it. The rest would be too busy finding a new whipping boy.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCopterKey View Post

I never said it would... But a 30 goal scorer could do no harm to Phoenix.

Anyway, I don't see Gainey acquiring this guy and with good reason (Asking price will be high). I'd much rather get a rental that's a proven playoff performer.

Old
02-09-2007, 08:07 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Barnett will be asking for Carey Price. I guarantee it. Whether or not he gets him, is another story. But the Coyotes are not in a position where they have to deal Doan anyways. He has expressed extreme willingness to stay.
Gainey trades Price he has mortgaged the future for a rental, that happens and I think Gainey should be fired!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:12 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Gainey trades Price he has mortgaged the future for a rental, that happens and I think Gainey should be fired!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ade/index.html

With Huet and Danis, Price is more expendable than you think. Read the article and humor me. I didn't say Gainey was going to give that up, merely Barnett wants Price. If Gainey really thought Doan would put him over the top, he should do it.

Who Dares Wins

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Habitants

Doan is #1 on MY list! i want this guy more than forsburg! i give

ryder+perz
vs
Doan+4th

or even more. he brings the full package! DO IT! NOW!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:22 PM
flappuck

Quote:

With Huet and Danis, Price is more expendable than you think. Read the article and humor me. I didn't say Gainey was going to give that up, merely Barnett wants Price. If Gainey really thought Doan would put him over the top, he should do it.

Who Dares Wins
First time I've read something about hockey on SI that made sense...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:23 PM
mcphee

Quote:

Who Dares Wins
I don't think the comparisons valid. Dallas was closer that year. Plus,Joe N. stayed.

Danis and Halak are on the table imo, I doubt Price. If other deals are made that greatly change the look of the team, who knows what he'd pay for the final piece,but I just dodn't see that scenario.

Old
02-09-2007, 08:24 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Who Dares Wins
You're absolutely right, but I would think Halak has the most value of anyone, considering his AHL stats and age (Danis is already 26). I personally think and hope that Price is untouchable since he has the most potential, but you never know. Halak may be another Vokoun though, which is scary to give up, at least the Yotes are in the West.

Doan does not have the greatest playoff stats, but like you said, it's the intangibles that make him so great. He always does that little extra to win, like Ryan Smyth or Brendan Morrow. This is exactly what Montreal is missing right now, a little heart and motivation. They could use a fighter too. Laraque available too?

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:25 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Anyway, I don't see Gainey acquiring this guy and with good reason (Asking price will be high). I'd much rather get a rental that's a proven playoff performer.
How do you know the asking price will be high? Have you talked to Barnett recently? If you have I wonder if you could tell me if the Nagy rumours are true?

If Gainey lands Doan and a conditional pick for Ryder I will build a golden statue of him on my front lawn.

Quote:
It's easy to be critical of Ryder's game lately. I am. I don't see how scoring less helps a goal starved team.If he has a hot streak in him, they need to benefit from it.

Doan's a really atttractive player, but Ryder doesn't really make sense, unless Doan has a future here and I'd bet heavily that he doesn't. Besides, he makes no sense for Phoenix,as their posters have explained. They'd go young and cheap in a deal. I wonder how things would look if Doan finished out the year here and suited up beside Ryder in Phoenix next year ? Could easily happen.
Today 09:47 PM
I'm not being critical of his game lately, he's just simply not a valuable player, especially to the Habs. The Habs are so deep on the wing and have more prospects coming up. I guarantee Kostitsyn will put up better numbers than ryder when he's even just half NHL ready if he gets top line RW duty because he's essentially the same player with a lot more speed, creativity, flair and an even better shot to boot. Ryder is very expendable.

I agree, it makes no sense from Phoenix's standpoint (although Comrie was traded for a garbage AHL cancer), I've said that from the beginning but don't tell me Doan makes no sense for Montreal. Is there even a single player available out there who isn't a rental? One of Doan's caliber anyways? Could we land him if there was? No, no and no. Not to mention he'd cost a fortune if that player existed. The precedent has been set. Rentals are worth young players and draft picks and if Doan is going to be available, Barnett will (well, maybe not, it is Barnett) be asking for a lot.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote