HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Revised HFNYR Policies & Quick Links

Old
02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
danno2530

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I would post in a closed and stickied thread all the guide lines. for example what is considered OT? What considered REALLY OT? For example, I posted about Barnaby's possible retirement and a Times article about Leetch's semi retirement. With links. They aren't about the Rangers really but they aren't as off topic as say Metallica. But then there are those OT threads like "hey Metallica is playing. Who is going and wants to get beers before/after?" Super Bowl Thread was pretty off topic but then again, it was somewhere for Ranger fans to gather and talk about it.

Do Mods have the power to create subforums? Much like how the Rangers forum is within the Eastern Conference forum listing (a page i'm sure most don't frequent) there could be an OT sub-forum, Community forum (things to do in NYC, favorite bars, introduction threads, etc), a Trade sub-forum (we sometimes get proposals from visitors). It might make for a cleaner house. It might also make your jobs harder. You don't want to sub-forum everything. If you can't do it though, I wouldn't mind trying to do stickied threads for the things you've mentioned.
I agree. Like I said, if there was just an all-purpose New York thread (like on some other teams' boards), that would potentially cut down on alot of OT posts and would be a helpful place for Rangers fans who live in the city (as well as fans of other teams who live here and people who used to live here) to discuss things going on here. It could be quite useful, but just my opinion.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
I agree. Like I said, if there was just an all-purpose New York thread (like on some other teams' boards), that would potentially cut down on alot of OT posts and would be a helpful place for Rangers fans who live in the city (as well as fans of other teams who live here and people who used to live here) to discuss things going on here. It could be quite useful, but just my opinion.
For lack of a better answer, what is considered OT is purely at the Mods discretion. I think that MJ and I are pretty lenient about what we allow. It all depends on what's going on with the Rangers.

If we keep adding to the number of stickies, they stop serving their purpose. I hear your point about an NY thread and it might make sense to expand the Tourist Thread to an "All Things New York" thread.

Does this make sense to people?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 02-09-2007 at 04:43 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Melrose_Jr.

nexusrage21 suggests a single sticky thread that contains links to all the links that are currently stickied, or should be. I liked that.

We can now appoint "threadmods", so if someone was interested in helping manage such a super sticky thread, that would be cool too. Can't leave all the grunt work to FLYLine and RangerBoy ya know.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:35 PM
danno2530

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
For lack of a better answer, what is considered OT is purely at the Mods discretion. I think that MJ and I are pretty lenient about what we allow. It all depends on what's going on with the Rangers.

If we keep adding to the number of stickies, they stop serving their purpose. I hear your point about an NY thread and it might make sense to expand the Tourist Thread to an "All Things New York" thread.

Does this make sense to people?
Yeah I agree. The tourist thread doesn't seem to be too active so if you change that to an all-purpose thread, visitors can still go there if they need info or anything.

Old
02-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
nexusrage21 suggests a single sticky thread that contains links to all the links that are currently stickied, or should be. I liked that.

We can now appoint "threadmods", so if someone was interested in helping manage such a super sticky thread, that would be cool too. Can't leave all the grunt work to FLYLine and RangerBoy ya know.
If you guys need help, i'll gladly help out. Just let me know

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:39 PM
danno2530

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
If you guys need help, i'll gladly help out. Just let me know
Same here, I got nothing better to do

Old
02-10-2007, 11:39 AM
nrf83

Quote:
I'm hoping people will ask themselves, "does this really have any relavance here?" before they go through the trouble of clearing it with one of us.

The idea is to have the board remain less cluttered during the times one of us isn't here to do the housekeeping.
I hope this means all Leetch back to NYR or should Allison be signed threads will be immediately deleted.

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Can we make a rule that posters cant make threads about the same thing over and over and over and over and over again. Hmmm i wonder who i could be talking about.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2007, 08:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Bump. Guys, please look at the board before you post. If there is an existing thread that is in the least bit relevant to what you want to talk about, please use it instead of opening a new one.

Also, can we please cut down on the worthless posts (especially in the GDT) that includes just swearing, swear-fueled rants, over use of emoticons or complaing about blackouts excessively. Last nights GDT was a mess. If people cannot control themselves, points will be given or people might be banned from the thread.

Thanks.

Singin', Melrose and DG.

Old
02-21-2007, 01:57 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
One more thing:

Please do not feed the trolls. With all the crap that was written last night, THERE WAS NOT ONE BAD POST REPORTED. If you don't like a post of feel like a post is trolling or flaming, report it by pressing the triangle icon on the left. A mod will address it. When you respond to it, the whole thing snowballs and just creates more work for Melrose, DG and me.

Thanks for your help.

Old
02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
why cant we just sticky a thread in this forum to contain ALL trade proposals and wavier issues that are of concern to the rangers. i think allot of people post them in this forum bc they want to get direct feedback from ranger fans and threads in the main forum can get "loss" among all the other threads in there.

otherwise i agree and thanks for your efforts to clean it all up
Agree

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
in the hall

wow.. that was the gayest thing this board has ever done.. basically trap us into that agreement, and for what? so they can reference that to us as if this were court room.. this isn't a public forum, they can ban us or suspend us for whatever they want

anyway i came into this thread to post how much i think it's lame that all the NHL OT threads are getting moved or deleted.. it's probably being pushed by those above the mods in this area but anyway it's really crap

i sure as hell don't read the nhl or trade forum that often and that has mostly to do with the mods there and the sheer amount of volume that area gets.. i get my hockey fix by checking out this one forum, and it really sucks that i won't know anything about the rest of the league just because it is not on the topic of the rangers

can't wait for the trade deadline, i'm gonna love having to shift through the hundreds of craptastic posts in the trade/nhl forum

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
anyway i came into this thread to post how much i think it's lame that all the NHL OT threads are getting moved or deleted..
You mean the trade proposals or just general NHL banter?

Old
02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
in the hall

Quote:
You mean the trade proposals or just general NHL banter?
general banter.. the nhl brawl thread is a good example.. i don't mean everything though, such as what's one opinion on sundin as a captain etc, i mean events that actually happened, i think thats relevant enough

and when trades go down.. like carter just now being dealt to carolina, i won't even know about it unless i just stumble over to another board and notice it, like it just happened (it was the pittsburgh board mind you)

Old
02-23-2007, 01:29 PM
Edge

I have to say that I can understand what Hall is saying.

I really don't check out the other boards, mainly because I have nothing in common with them and it's a zoo over there.

If a trade goes down I am more inclined to want to discuss it with people I have something in common with rather than someone who I don't really like.

I think you run the risk of now pushing people into arguments because the impact the topic has on them is different. Even though we might disagree on here, as Ranger fans we are all at least in the same ballpark. I'm not really interested in having certain discussions with,say, a Canuck fan or an LA fan. A lot of times I also really don't want to have to go to several message boards to get my "fix" so to speak.

Now that doesn't mean I am in favor of total anarchy, but I also don't hope it gets to the point of internet facism either.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 02:26 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
general banter.. the nhl brawl thread is a good example.. i don't mean everything though, such as what's one opinion on sundin as a captain etc, i mean events that actually happened, i think thats relevant enough

and when trades go down.. like carter just now being dealt to carolina, i won't even know about it unless i just stumble over to another board and notice it, like it just happened (it was the pittsburgh board mind you)
I agree......to a degree. If we say it's allowed outright, then inevitably, we've got a new thread for every possible NHL topic out there from trades to brawls to just good old exciting games. You've got to remember that what prompted these rules was that the board had more non-Ranger content on it than Ranger content.

The problem with selective OT is that if I leave your thread about the Carter trade, how do I rationalize deleting Edge's thread about the BUF/OTT brawl? (these are examples, neither of you actually posted such threads) The question remains, when is it too much?

Old
02-23-2007, 02:49 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
I agree......to a degree. If we say it's allowed outright, then inevitably, we've got a new thread for every possible NHL topic out there from trades to brawls to just good old exciting games. You've got to remember that what prompted these rules was that the board had more non-Ranger content on it than Ranger content.

The problem with selective OT is that if I leave your thread about the Carter trade, how do I rationalize deleting Edge's thread about the BUF/OTT brawl? (these are examples, neither of you actually posted such threads) The question remains, when is it too much?
Maybe two threads...an Around the League type thread and a Trades Thread. Say there is something like a Carter trade...maybe a mod can then add the latest move to the title, so something like Trades becomes Trades (Carter to CAR). Same with Around the League...Around the League (Buff/Ott goalie brawl). Just a suggestion.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2007, 03:00 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
Maybe two threads...an Around the League type thread and a Trades Thread. Say there is something like a Carter trade...maybe a mod can then add the latest move to the title, so something like Trades becomes Trades (Carter to CAR). Same with Around the League...Around the League (Buff/Ott goalie brawl). Just a suggestion.
thats what i was thinking.. and then in the case of an OT thread being posted just merge it into their leaving the open link on the board sort of like you do now with redundant threads

Old
02-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Melrose_Jr.

All right. SBOB and I talked it over and we agreed that we can allow a reasonable amount of OT NHL threads because of the marked improvement in reducing OT content over the past couple of weeks. We might end up with a "Non-Ranger trade thread" as the deadline approaches, but for now, let a topic stand on it's own.

Of course, we reseverve the right to go back to no tolerance for OT if becomes a problem again, so, let's not have everyone abuse the "privilege".

Old
02-26-2007, 08:50 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Please notice that we have added a "stuck" non-Ranger trade thread.

Also, should any NYR trade go down, please do not feel compelled to rush and be the first to post about it. The mods will designate an official thread about it and delete all others.

Thanks for your help. Should be an interested next 30 hours or so.

Old
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
nrf83

SBOB whats going on with all the Hossa threads. anyway you can merge them into one?

nrf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 04:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Got it.

Please note, this is not a thread to make requests of the mods. But to talk about the policies. If you have a request, please PM Melrose, FLY, DG or me.

Old
03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
At the risk of being a nag, I want to remind people (especially infrequent visiters) to pleaes look at the first page of the board before starting a new thread. If there is a thread that is similar to what you want to post, please use that thread instead of starting a new one. We don't need three threads on Avery.

Thanks

Old
03-09-2007, 08:33 AM
25 A L I V E

Sorry.

25 A L I V E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2007, 03:08 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
My fellow Ranger fans:

I understand that we are all excited about the game tonight and the playoffs in general.

That said, the board is getting sloppy again with duplicate threads. Please scan the first two pages of the board to see if there is a similar or related thread already in existance before starting a new one.

The mods have been very good about merging threads. But it's becoming time consuming. So please look before you post.

Thanks again.