HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Jeffrey

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Haha this! Complain about a pick yet you don't know the other guys position. It hasn't even been a year yet and from the sounds of it McCarron allready has had some great progression. We will have to be patient with him and If he turns out he will be a great piece in a brighter future for the habs hopefully
Hindsight!!
I would definately have selected Datsyuk, Benn, Zetterberg, Callahan, Keith, Quick, Sharp...

Old
02-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Mathletic

nhl.com's mock drafts

Adam Kimelman
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=704724&cmpid=nhl-fb

Mike G. Morreale
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=704725&cmpid=nhl-fb

Steven Hoffner
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=704722&cmpid=nhl-fb

Pasternak, Scherbak and Schmaltz for the Habs

Old
02-13-2014, 10:22 PM
pc_md

Quote:
nhl.com's mock drafts

Adam Kimelman

Mike G. Morreale

Steven Hoffner

Interesting, thank you for the links. I am surprised at DeAngelo's ranking. All three of them place him in the top 16...

Old
02-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Interesting, thank you for the links. I am surprised at DeAngelo's ranking. All three of them place him in the top 16...
surprised as well but I just can't see anyone picking him over Fleury

Old
02-13-2014, 11:33 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
surprised as well but I just can't see anyone picking him over Fleury
Well said.

On another aspect, Drummondville was in Sherbrooke tonight and their Russian D Sergei Boikov was having the time of his life running over Phoenix players. He was hitting everything that was moving on the ice. He was pretty solid defensively and never got caught out of position even though he steps up his man a lot. He was even used at the end of the game to keep the 1 goal lead. He's definitely added to my watch list.

EDIT: He was on the ice for a goal, when his partner got fooled by Beran at the offensive blue line.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 02-14-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old
02-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Well said.

On another aspect, Drummondville was in Sherbrooke tonight and their Russian D Sergei Boikov was having the time of his life running over Phoenix players. He was hitting everything that was moving on the ice. He was pretty solid defensively and never got caught out of position even though he steps up his man a lot. He was even used at the end of the game to keep the 1 goal lead. He's definitely added to my watch list.
Good call, underrated kid for sure. Like him as well.

Old
02-14-2014, 08:02 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
nhl.com's mock drafts

Adam Kimelman

Mike G. Morreale

Steven Hoffner

Not keen on Pasternak (skilled but small) as we have quite a few like him already also not a fan of picking Schmaltz (seemskind of lazy....or perhaps just low hockey IQ?)

I am intreagued by Scherbak.

If we go with smaller skilled guys I like Ehlers, he has an amazingly accurate lazerbeam shot.

I am very partial to Tuch, and Larkin

Old
02-14-2014, 08:16 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Not keen on Pasternak (skilled but small) as we have quite a few like him already also not a fan of picking Schmaltz (seemskind of lazy....or perhaps just low hockey IQ?)

If we go with smaller skilled guys I like Ehlers, he has an amazingly accurate lazerbeam shot.

He is also an insanely good passer.

http://sportsandmoore.com/ehlers-stars-in-5-1-win/

2:32

Old
02-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF de Mars View Post
Monctonscout, what do you think of Kapanen ?
Have not seen a ton of him, but impressive so far, top 5 or at worse top 10 pick. Not really a n option for the Habs at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Don't see how we pass oh Ehlers if he's available. Explosive goal scoring with a great shot and has produced at every level.

We need a strong explosive goal scoring winger.
Actually that's a strength of the prospect pool. Bozon Collberg Lehkonen plus Hudon Gregoire and DLR to a lesser extent.

I like Ehlers but would pick Barbashev ahead of him, for the small gap in skill, Barbashev is bigger, stronger, faster, better defensively, more physical and can play C or LW.

Quote:
Just like with Drouin/Mantha/Morin last year, it shouldn't be a problem, he'll be long gone before we pick, unfortunately.
I see him going from 12-22 so he could be available at our pick.

Old
02-14-2014, 10:04 AM
le_sean

I have a feeling Bleakley and Tuch will be the guys Timmins and Bergevin covet.

Old
02-14-2014, 10:23 AM
S Bah

Quote:
With the draft class this year, as I would focus more on kids with some size, and jam in their play when we are up in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Those types of guys, their play will translate better to a pro style and have a better shot at becomeing NHL regulars. I have no problem taking gambles in the late rounds. But this class just seems rather pedestrian in overall skill level vs other years.

I see Starrett as more a 5th to 7th rder, and Chattham, he's a 4th-5th rounder for sure. both seem fairly talented but will suffer due to "quality of competition" issues.

In those late rounds I also like Ryan Mantha (big tough Dman with skating and comsistency issues that can be corrected) and Daniel Moynhan (good skater, great energy guy with some finish could be a 3rd liner)

Also, looking down the road a little bit, I think we should keep an eye on Moynhan's younger brother Connor (16yo 6'3'' 205lbs..... 2015 draft eligible) this kid plays a great agressive power game and has really smooth skaking for such a big young kid and some soft hands. he's looking like a kid who can be a 1st-2nd rd pick
Both Chatham(late 2nd or 3rd) and Starrett(3rd or 4th) have these upsides apparently. Moynihan bros. have skill no doubt & Connor seems a really good prospect, I like Matt Murphy's play and hope the Habs sign him this summer. Mantha's a solid RHD the Habs don't have currently (Pateryn maybe) Ellis isn't big enough IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank JT View Post
I'd like the habs to try to ad one second choice between 31 to 45. That would gives us 3 choices in the first 60. We could get 2 forward and maybe a solid D.
Ex :
First choice between 14 and 26 : Barbashev, Ehlers, Milano, Tuch, ...
Second round between 31 and 45 : Karlsson, Glover, Lemieux, Vanier, Cornel
Second round between 45 and 56 : Alex Peters, Ryan Collins, Matthew Mistele, Pavel Kraskovsky...
That would be a good step for this draft.

Here's a idea/fantasy : If the players Timmins wants with his fisrt pick are gones, why not try to trade down with St-Louis (ex. : 20th pick of the Habs, for the 27th pick of St-Louis + the 31 (from Edmonton). That could be great for the two teams...
I have suggested a trade in that Thread about getting either St.Louis's 1st or Edm. 2nd. The more picks in the late 1st round early 2nd the better to fill in the Habs system depth for the future, after years of pissing away draft choices to make the playoffs.

Quote:
Well said.

EDIT: He was on the ice for a goal, when his partner got fooled by Beran at the offensive blue line.
Boikov sounds a little like Emelin, I love the Russian defencemen who hit, they are nasty muthers.

Quote:

Tuch seems to have made a favorable following, any player that is similar to Pacioretty would here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImGoingNucks View Post
He is also an insanely good passer.

http://sportsandmoore.com/ehlers-stars-in-5-1-win/

2:32
Nice highlights pkg. loved Murphy's goal too, Ehlers won't be available after the top ten IMO, if McCann slides outside the Top ten, I'd want Bergevin to trade up for him! otherwise Barbashev or Tuch in the 1st.

Old
02-14-2014, 10:37 AM
BrimStone64

Glancing over recent ISS rankings, one name jumped out is Jack Dougherty. Just going by his stats, never seen him play. ISS has him projected last first round. Compared his stats to Trouba of 2 years ago, in same program. Somebody to watch in future

Old
02-14-2014, 10:50 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Glancing over recent ISS rankings, one name jumped out is Jack Dougherty. Just going by his stats, never seen him play. ISS has him projected last first round. Compared his stats to Trouba of 2 years ago, in same program. Somebody to watch in future
All the more reason for Bergevin to trade some UFA's at the deadline for late 1st round and early 2nd round picks. These players can develop into special players for depth on 2nd pairings and 2nd PP units later.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:02 AM
JAVO16

Quote:

Pastrnak is listed as 6'. Pretty sure that's not small. He's not heavy, but most players can fix that by the time they hit NHL ice. Also, Schmaltz's hockey sense and vision is one of his strengths.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Pastrnak is listed as 6'. Pretty sure that's not small. He's not heavy, but most players can fix that by the time they hit NHL ice. Also, Schmaltz's hockey sense and vision is one of his strengths.
Pastrnak is built like Leblanc, never going to be very big. And my comment on Schmaltz was either he is lazy or lacks vision, because there is more that he can give. He's not as bad as Ho Sang on that, but still not sold on using a 1st on either.

Old
02-14-2014, 03:49 PM
S Bah

Quote:
nhl.com's mock drafts

Adam Kimelman

Mike G. Morreale

Steven Hoffner

I wonder if these guys ever pay Attn. to the GM's of the teams, when predicting the player each will choose. I know it's supposed to be BPA, but every different Head Scout will have different Top Thirty players and this year after Top Four there will be huge differences, in my case Ekblad has clearly been the best.(Sam Bennett no viewings, he may take #1) Michael Dal Colle is pretty good too, Sam Rinehart isn't a shoo-in for #1 by any stretch of the imagination.

If I'm Bergevin, trading for draft choices in quantity by the deadline would be the direction to head. But, that could mean losing his job, especially if the Habs went from playoff team to lottery pick team. Moving Markov, Gionta, Bourque, Murray, Parros, Briere and possibly Leblanc, Naatinen and Czarnik all RFA's next season.

That's six veterans and three prospects to trade for draft choices, leaving room in next years lineup. The competition for jobs between prospects would be immense, knowing their opportunity to earn a role on the Habs will never be better. Plus the prospects gained in this draft should be based upon their suitability as complimentary players, for the playmaking prospects from the last two drafts.

Players that can produce offence like Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Collberg and even DLR. Surrounding these types with players whose unique specialties will make each other successful in the pros. Galchenyuk can do this due to his "Elite" talents, the others will need help to reach their absolute upsides. Only by having lots of quality depth can the Habs avoid having to trade later for complimentary players, thus losing in another area.

Go for the Gusto and get it done this summer and next, then the march for the SC should begin in earnest, with the type of quality depth the Habs had in the past. Always at center, goal and defence the way that our Dynasties were built, the centers that don't cut it become wingers, as it always was in the past. Great playoff teams always have great centers, they create possession and the team that has the puck the most usually wins, unless a goalie can't be beaten.

Old
02-14-2014, 03:51 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

I don't know what deangello did but he has been suspended 8 games. Could have character/attitude issues, could drop big time on draft day.

Old
02-14-2014, 04:26 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I don't know what deangello did but he has been suspended 8 games. Could have character/attitude issues, could drop big time on draft day.
DeAngelo's berating of his teammate could be regarded as a + rather than -. Sarnia was fighting for a playoff spot and weren't playing that way. Looks like Connor Chatham's play for Plymouth Whalers has them in the playoffs, he's picking up his play after coming to the OHL at the start of the year. Much the same as McCarron and Ryan MacInnis, these US players are finding their niches as the season progresses and their talent is surfacing with experience.

Chatham has come a long way since the start of the year and now is considered to be a possible 1st round pick, his prowess in shootouts for a big man may have something to do with this, along with his competitive nature. Watch for him in the last half year and playoffs to see how big an impact this rookie can have, big IMHO.

Chatham RW would make a very good piece, pairing him with LW Connor Crisp and say DLR or McCarron as center, making a formidable line to throw against any of the big first lines around the league.

Last edited by S Bah: 02-14-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old
02-14-2014, 04:31 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
DeAngelo's berating of his teammate could be regarded as a + rather than -. Sarnia was fighting for a playoff spot and weren't playing that way. Looks like Connor Chatham's play for Plymouth Whalers has them in the playoffs, he's picking up his play after coming to the OHL at the start of the year. Much the same as McCarron and Ryan MacInnis, these US players are finding their niches as the season progresses and their talent is surfacing with experience.

Chatham has come a long way since the start of the year and now is considered to be a possible 1st round pick, his prowess in shootouts for a big man may have something to do with this, along with his competitive nature. Watch for him in the last half year and playoffs to see how big an impact this rookie can have, big IMHO.
I don't know if it was just being competitive or a racial or offensive comment coming out of him. Hopefully the full story comes out soon, I don't know if he would be a good fit for montreal anyway...

Old
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I don't know if it was just being competitive or a racial or offensive comment coming out of him. Hopefully the full story comes out soon, I don't know if he would be a good fit for montreal anyway...
He's not likely to go longer than Top 15 from checking the lists out from CS, ISS McKeen's and such, so probably gone when the Habs pick.

Old
02-14-2014, 09:57 PM
S Bah

I guess having the #3 OV (Galchenyuk) and then two 2nd's (Collberg & Thrower) a 3rd (Bozon) a 4th (Vail) a 5th (Hudon) in 2012.

Then in 2013 in a strong draft having a 1st, three 2nd's, two 3rd's, a 4th & a 6th, as a Hab fan I've been spoiled after a few years of traded picks. So faced with one pick a round in a weak draft and late picks at that, it's a damn good thing the Habs have the best team evaluating the prospects available.

It's my opinion in the 2014 draft, they will need to use that expert knowledge to ascertain the players that aren't consensus picks of most scouts. Although they picked a couple of sizable forwards last year, I'd still like more depth with size, surprised eh?

So without any extra picks this year or finishing 3rd from last like 2012, here's how I want the Habs to pick;

1st rd. - Alex Tuch
2nd rd. - Connor Chatham
3rd rd. - Beau Starrett
4th rd. - Alex Vanier or Nic Aube-Kubel

After that it's a crapshoot what maybe available, who knows all of those guys could go bust in a weak draft, depends on their development, character and passion for the game. IMHO

I do know I'm tired of watching my team getting shoved around and I'm glad Bergevin knows the need to have respect shown his team of athletes. It gives me renewed hopes to see them winning more than one or two rounds in the playoffs and actually building a team that can win the SC. Their motto is "No Excuses" mine is "No More BS let's pitter-patter and have at er."

Old
02-14-2014, 10:03 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Quote:
I guess having the #3 OV (Galchenyuk) and then two 2nd's (Collberg & Thrower) a 3rd (Bozon) a 4th (Vail) a 5th (Hudon) in 2012.

Then in 2013 in a strong draft having a 1st, three 2nd's, two 3rd's, a 4th & a 6th, as a Hab fan I've been spoiled after a few years of traded picks. So faced with one pick a round in a weak draft and late picks at that, it's a damn good thing the Habs have the best team evaluating the prospects available.

It's my opinion in the 2014 draft, they will need to use that expert knowledge to ascertain the players that aren't consensus picks of most scouts. Although they picked a couple of sizable forwards last year, I'd still like more depth with size, surprised eh?

So without any extra picks this year or finishing 3rd from last like 2012, here's how I want the Habs to pick;

1st rd. - Alex Tuch
2nd rd. - Connor Chatham
3rd rd. - Beau Starrett
4th rd. - Alex Vanier or Nic Aube-Kubel

After that it's a crapshoot what maybe available, who knows all of those guys could go bust in a weak draft, depends on their development, character and passion for the game. IMHO

I do know I'm tired of watching my team getting shoved around and I'm glad Bergevin knows the need to have respect shown his team of athletes. It gives me renewed hopes to see them winning more than one or two rounds in the playoffs and actually building a team that can win the SC. Their motto is "No Excuses" mine is "No More BS let's pitter-patter and have at er."
I bet money Vanier won't drop to the 4th

Old
02-14-2014, 10:28 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I bet money Vanier won't drop to the 4th
That's right Vanier is supposed to go in the 2nd rd. what pick # there's a bet, you take first #. Fair enough.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:21 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
B
Boikov sounds a little like Emelin, I love the Russian defencemen who hit, they are nasty muthers.
I'll need to see more of him before comparing him to anyone. One thing that makes Emelin a rare breed is that he's not intimidated by anyone, and is very consistent in his physical play. Whether it is at home or on the road, whether it is the first or the last game of the season, he will engage physically.

Boikov was engaged physically yesterday, but the top of the lineup for Sherbrooke is pretty small. It would be interesting to see if he plays the same way against bigger teams.

It's always a good thing though to see him have the coach's confidence in key situations. If I remember well, he was even used in front of Culkin on the last shift of the game with a one goal lead. Says a lot about the trust that the coaches have in him.

Old
02-14-2014, 11:41 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Pastrnak is built like Leblanc, never going to be very big. And my comment on Schmaltz was either he is lazy or lacks vision, because there is more that he can give. He's not as bad as Ho Sang on that, but still not sold on using a 1st on either.
Eller was pretty small when he came in MTL. Some have to work harder to get stronger, but you can't write off a kid because he's small physically right now...

Giroux was pretty thin in 2006 too.

Closed Thread