HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dan Girardi

Old
02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
King's ransom?

No, if we move Girardi we would want fair compensation. Based on market value that's been set in stone by GM's previous trades for deadline acquisitions, Girardi is worth more than that fairytale number you pulled out of thin air.

In what world does a guy like Clowe go for a 2nd, 3rd, and a conditional pick when he was goaless and coming off a concussion?

Girardi's a legitimate first pairing RHD. There will be a lot of interested teams competing for his services if NY decides to trade him. Guys like Girardi don't hit free-agency often, or become available via trade.

Start with a 1st. Then add. If it's too rich, then move along and stop making pretend you have any idea how value works in the NHL.

Paul ****ing Gaustad went for a 1st. A 4th line rental. And Girardi's value is a late 1st or early 2nd. Where the hell do you people come up with this nonsense...
Here come the...."but but but that was forever ago and cannot be used as a basis because it was an overpayment"

Then we look at the Douglas Murray trade for two 2nd rounders (Douglas Effing Murray the 3rd pairing guy) and people have the nerve to say that Girardi is not worth at LEAST a 1st?

If Girardi is moved, it's for a 1st and a better than expected prospect.

people on this board hate to look at previous trades and recognize that they SET the bar.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 04:51 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Never stated that teams wouldn't offer up assets for him, just not significant ones.

I guess Ranger fans may be the only ones that expect a King's ransom. A 2nd or late 1st, at best, would be his price tag. I'm not sure what you guys are expecting.
He'd be the best defender on the market by a mile. I hardly think asking for more than a 2nd round pick from a "desperate team pushing for the playoffs" would be considered a king's ransom.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 05:16 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Here come the...."but but but that was forever ago and cannot be used as a basis because it was an overpayment"

Then we look at the Douglas Murray trade for two 2nd rounders (Douglas Effing Murray the 3rd pairing guy) and people have the nerve to say that Girardi is not worth at LEAST a 1st?

If Girardi is moved, it's for a 1st and a better than expected prospect.

people on this board hate to look at previous trades and recognize that they SET the bar.
Or, rather, they compare and contrast those singled-out examples with the many, many other deadline deals which, while substantial, tend to be rather less egregious.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 08:00 PM
bernmeister

Just for the hell of it...

Girardi + Nash (waives to ok deal) to Kings
for
Doughty + Pearson + Martinez + LAK 2014 1st

Doughty much better all around, but Girardi solid D at 1RD, Kings have enough playmaker backliners.

Nash would be serious contributor on top line.

I think DD's contract is more, so some level of cap relief.

For NY
get long term top pair RD to match McDonagh
some nice adds

bernmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 08:04 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
Cody Franson, Tyler Biggs and a conditional pick
Do not want, and can get actual pick due to supply + demand.

I think Sather is waiting to see if Ana is gonna crack and fork over Ottawa's 1st.
Betting is not that way atm, but it would be a shrewd move to deny Girardi to competitors.

That would do it all by its lonesome.
Would not even need player/prospect.

Toronto's bid is as welcome as any other.
But gotta be a serious bid to win.

Old
02-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Just for the hell of it...

Girardi + Nash (waives to ok deal) to Kings
for
Doughty + Pearson + Martinez + LAK 2014 1st

Doughty much better all around, but Girardi solid D at 1RD, Kings have enough playmaker backliners.

Nash would be serious contributor on top line.

I think DD's contract is more, so some level of cap relief.

For NY
get long term top pair RD to match McDonagh
some nice adds
Absolutely not. Doughty would require McDonagh, one of Kreider/Stepan, and a 1st. Which I wouldn't even do, but it would take sick overpayment to give the Kings incentive.

02-14-2014, 08:19 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Absolutely not. Doughty would require McDonagh, one of Kreider/Stepan, and a 1st. Which I wouldn't even do, but it would take sick overpayment to give the Kings incentive.
Was hoping he wouldn't post that here. Ugh

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 08:36 PM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I get that, but for one, talks with Girardi have reportedly been smooth. Secondly, the Rangers were struggling mightily when that came out and are now piecing it together. In their current position, they're much more likely to keep their team in tact.
That is good news for Rangers fans and kind of makes this thread a moot point.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 11:23 PM
frieswithbenefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Girardi's a legitimate first pairing RHD. There will be a lot of interested teams competing for his services if NY decides to trade him. Guys like Girardi don't hit free-agency often, or become available via trade.

Start with a 1st. Then add. If it's too rich, then move along and stop making pretend you have any idea how value works in the NHL.
Far from it. Girardi's a physical defensive defensemen with no offensive talent and skating issues. Playing with McDonagh manages to cover up a lot of his shortcomings.

On most cup contenders he'd barely be a #4 dman. You would probably get two 2nds at most for Girardi.

frieswithbenefits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2014, 11:55 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by frieswithbenefits View Post
Far from it. Girardi's a physical defensive defensemen with no offensive talent and skating issues. Playing with McDonagh manages to cover up a lot of his shortcomings.

On most cup contenders he'd barely be a #4 dman. You would probably get two 2nds at most for Girardi.
Girardi was just as terrific playing with Staal. If he had defensive shortcomings, or had skating issues, he would have never lead the entire league in TOI. If he was barely a #4, he would have constantly been exposed playing against opposing teams 1st lines.

Look at how few penalties Girardi had taken over his career. A dmen with skating issues, matched up against players like Crosby, AO, and Stamkos? He's not a fast dmen, but suggesting Girardi has skating issues is asinine.

His positional play is spectacular. He has a good outlet pass. He's a rock defensively. He's EASILY a top-60 dmen and has been for quite a while and failure to identify this really makes me wonder if you even know who Dan Girardi is.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 01:08 AM
frieswithbenefits

Quote:
Girardi was just as terrific playing with Staal.
Girardi rarely plays with Staal. Most of his ice time is shared with McDonagh.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...gametype=ALL#A

Quote:
If he had defensive shortcomings, or had skating issues, he would have never lead the entire league in TOI.
He is 44th in TOI among dmen this season. In what league is he first?

Quote:
If he was barely a #4, he would have constantly been exposed playing against opposing teams 1st lines.
That shows how good McDonagh is. Girardi plays 18.3 5v5 minutes a game. 85% of that is with McDonagh. However, Girardi's on-ice corsi, -2.48, is a lot worse than Mcdonagh's, which is 0.71. Usually when two players that share so much of their ice time together, you would expect their advanced stats to be similar. Take for example, Chicago's top pairing. Keith and Seabrook. Seabrook plays 88% of his 5v5 TOI with Keith and their respective on-ice corsi are 10.1 and 11.1. Somewhat similar to each other. But in Girardi's case you can see that he is bringing down McDonagh and is horrid when playing without him.

Quote:
His positional play is spectacular. He has a good outlet pass. He's a rock defensively. He's EASILY a top-60 dmen and has been for quite a while and failure to identify this really makes me wonder if you even know who Dan Girardi is.
Girardi has no offensive skills. He's had more than 30 pts once in his career and that was >3 seasons ago. True, he has good positioning skills and he can be a good pker, but he's far from a high end dman. If he was on my team I'd have him playing on the bottom pairing and on the pk.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:21 AM
frieswithbenefits

Also, Girardi's not faring very well in Vigneault's system. He's a zone dman playing man to man and can't keep up. If I were the rangers, I'd get rid of him as soon as possible. before he loses even more value.

Old
02-15-2014, 02:25 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Girardi rarely plays with Staal. Most of his ice time is shared with McDonagh.

http://www.leftwinglock.com/line-com...gametype=ALL#A
Yeah, you missed the word "WAS" in his post. As in he played with Staal from 2008-2011.

Quote:
He is 44th in TOI among dmen this season. In what league is he first?
2013: 25:25/gm - 11th
2012: 26:14/gm - 2nd
2011: 25:38/gm - 14th

Maybe he thought he lead in 2012, in which he was second, but that's 3 consecutive years of playing 25 minutes per game or better. You're telling me that he's not a top pairing defenseman?

Quote:
That shows how good McDonagh is. Girardi plays 18.3 5v5 minutes a game. 85% of that is with McDonagh. However, Girardi's on-ice corsi, -2.48, is a lot worse than Mcdonagh's, which is 0.71. Usually when two players that share so much of their ice time together, you would expect their advanced stats to be similar. Take for example, Chicago's top pairing. Keith and Seabrook. Seabrook plays 88% of his 5v5 TOI with Keith and their respective on-ice corsi are 10.1 and 11.1. Somewhat similar to each other. But in Girardi's case you can see that he is bringing down McDonagh and is horrid when playing without him.
This just shows how little you watch Girardi. The fact that you use Sabremetrics and CORSI (the same stat that had Tobias Enstrom ranked higher than Shea Weber 2 years ago) to evaluate a defenseman is proof that you don't watch Girardi at all.

Girardi was a stellar defender with Staal for YEARS before McDonagh ever played an NHL game.

Quote:
Girardi has no offensive skills. He's had more than 30 pts once in his career and that was >3 seasons ago. True, he has good positioning skills and he can be a good pker, but he's far from a high end dman. If he was on my team I'd have him playing on the bottom pairing and on the pk.
Stick to your day job.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 02:41 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Lundqvist View Post
Yeah, you missed the word "WAS" in his post. As in he played with Staal from 2008-2011.

2013: 25:25/gm - 11th
2012: 26:14/gm - 2nd
2011: 25:38/gm - 14th

Maybe he thought he lead in 2012, in which he was second, but that's 3 consecutive years of playing 25 minutes per game or better. You're telling me that he's not a top pairing defenseman?

This just shows how little you watch Girardi. The fact that you use Sabremetrics and CORSI (the same stat that had Tobias Enstrom ranked higher than Shea Weber 2 years ago) to evaluate a defenseman is proof that you don't watch Girardi at all.

Girardi was a stellar defender with Staal for YEARS before McDonagh ever played an NHL game.

Stick to your day job.
I want girardi and his terrible play Is my christmas wish of last year lol.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 07:35 AM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Do not want, and can get actual pick due to supply + demand.

I think Sather is waiting to see if Ana is gonna crack and fork over Ottawa's 1st.
Betting is not that way atm, but it would be a shrewd move to deny Girardi to competitors.

That would do it all by its lonesome.
Would not even need player/prospect.

Toronto's bid is as welcome as any other.
But gotta be a serious bid to win.
If Girardi is dealt, it means that he is looking for a free agent payday by not signing with NY. If that is the case, why would the Leafs (or any team) trade a 1st+ better than average prospect for 22 games of Girardi knowing he will test free agency?

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:31 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
If Girardi is dealt, it means that he is looking for a free agent payday by not signing with NY. If that is the case, why would the Leafs (or any team) trade a 1st+ better than average prospect for 22 games of Girardi knowing he will test free agency?

Is not absolute? To suggest is foolish.

Maybe wants to go home? That means Toronto.

Maybe doesnt believe NY is close to winning and would like a shot while still has a few good years left etc.

Is also easy for things to go sideways in negotiations and is a very short window.

Old
02-15-2014, 10:32 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Vey, Martinez, and a 1st from LA?

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:39 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danthehockeyman View Post
I see a lot of theads asking for Defensemen.

Teams that need D what would you give up?

I can see the Rangers asking for a 1st line forward in return. Go
what playoff team is going to trade a first line forward for a rental at the trade deadline?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
The same reason any team trades for rentals....?

02-15-2014, 10:48 AM
txpd

Quote:
IF.....if a team thinks they are a quality top 4 defenseman with leadership skills away from a serious shot at the cup, they might consider it. if that team is high in the standings and therefore late in the 1st round of a weak draft, trading a first and a solid prospect projected for the middle of the lineup?

I could see that all day. that's a legit chance of trading nothing for girardi.

but...girardi wont be traded as long as the rangers are a playoff team

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:18 AM
robertguess2013

I don't agree with a lot of what has been said on this board. First and foremost this YEAR IS DIFFERENT so NO ONE KNOWS WTH THE VALUE is of people. Just cause a guy is worth an amount seeing as is cap hell issue short time frame etc. Does a team say screw it lets get something?

I think in some cases ABSOLUTELY. So to say ok this trade that trade THROW THAT CRAP OUT THIS ONE YEAR. I think a few teams are going to get stuck with a guy that on every other year moves. Cause they want to much get nothing and guy becomes a UFA. Kinda dumb but this year I see it.

Now we will see more in next few weeks. I dont think though you can go with this that other thing cause is not the case with the cap. Moulson? Can I see him getting less than before? YES. Has his value dropped not really is just the market. Is not a lot of teams that can make the move that need his services.

I would say this is case whether your a D man Goalie or Forward. Is gonna be interesting for sure. Now if Girardi does become available? I say he is number one D man that would be available and that makes his worth a decent amount.

I wouldnt be surprised at some what fans would say ohhhhh we got robbed in this deal. Yet do you make the move when know hey we can get nothing or move forward with a little less than would like but at least move forward? Getting something? Personally in that situation I take the little less is better than nothing.

Old
02-15-2014, 03:53 PM
bernmeister

Ok

Stepan + Girardi
for
JVR

Two conditional Ranger 1sts IF
Girardi does not sign w/Leafs

Old
02-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Liferleafer
RIP Mrs Doubtfire

Quote:
Ok

Stepan + Girardi
for
JVR

Two conditional Ranger 1sts IF
Girardi does not sign w/Leafs
JVR is not available....

Liferleafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 03:59 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Vey, Martinez, and a 1st from LA?
This is actually a decent offer.

Would love for the Rangers to get their hands on Toffoli, though...

Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
JeffMangum
~Dylan~

Quote:

ROFL.

What a terrible, uninformed post.

Want to say Girardi is a flawed player, fine. He is. But a #4 defenseman "at best". Again, ROFL.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote