HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Writing on the Wall for Hollweg??

Old
02-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I had actually thought that Hollweg was younger (though more like 23, not about to be 24).

I've had my criticisms of him all season - but it seems as though he's going out there to just play physical, try to take less penalties, and that's it. He definitely has the skill to be a fourth liner (I've had my doubts about being a third liner). I dunno. I just want to blame Renney for everything these days because I see guys actually getting worse under him than better, and it's my immediate reaction.
I think it all comes down to expectation.

If you accept Hollweg as a 4th liner, you'll see he does a lot of what a 4th liner does.

If you expect him to progress to more, than you'll be disappointed by this season.

I am not a Renney fan, but I look at a lot of guys on this roster and I just can't blame him for many of them.

Even last season when things often went right somehow, I was amazed that some guys were performing they way they were. So part of me, frustrations aside, almost views a lot of this season as people coming back down to earth rather than not progressing.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Fletch

I guess with me, again Edge...

I've been looking at Hollweg more of a fourth liner, a good one at that, and if he became a third liner, it would be a bonus. It's weird though how his game has changed a bit this season. You see instances where he could go for the puck and possibly make the play, but he goes for the man. I'm thinking if I'm the coach, I'm telling him there's a time to hit, and there's a time to try to make a play for the puck (or perhaps that's done). Thought he's handled the puck less than last season, but oddly enough, he's had more shots this season and with more ice time has zero points compared to 5 - just weird - although with more ice time, he's taken less minors, I believe (interestingly enough, through today he's played 52 games, the same amount he played last season, so it makes for an interesting comparative).

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Taz

I think he just goes out there and tries to be physical if the puck bounces his way he will try and shoot towards the net or if he has possesion he will dump it in and chase. So he doesnt get many real scoring chances

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:49 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Yeah...any second thoughts?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Yeah...any second thoughts?
Hey, you can't always be right!...

But I did say that IF he did get another chance he needed to do something BIG...I think a goal, 8 hits, a good overall game, a fight, and a dirty hit qualifies as BIG..No way I would take him out of the lineup after this game...But I ain;t the coach..I still won't be surprised if he's dealt given the moves already and the moves to come...And I won't be surprised if Dupuis skates for him..

Hollweg is by far my favorite Ranger and I would like nothing more then to see him play 5-10 minutes every night for the Rangers..Probably why it won't happen..

BTW, good little blurb over at Sam W's blog on Hollweg where he admits to feeling the pressure to produce because of the recent additions (Krog, AVery, Dupuis)..Hopefully this goal will let him relax...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:04 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The reality is he a 4th line winger who plays like a 4th line winger. He brings energy, checks and can wear a team down. That's fine for the fourth line. Obviously it's not enough if he wants to be more than that, but as far as 4th lines go Hollweg/Hossa/Betts bring something to the table.

The problem is this team is so desperate for scoring from its second and third lines that now the expectation has become that the 4th line needs to generate offense as well.
I agree, Edge. Much like if you look at Cullen as a 3rd line player, he looks good. If you look at him as a 2nd liner, he looks poor. Ditto for Betts being anything but a 4th liner. To expect your 4th line player to come and start to score and NEEDING him to score is folly. Hollweg is a good, energetic role player. He could kill penalties if asked to do so. Probably every as "well" as Hossa can. Judging him by his point total, does not do him any justice.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Edge

Expectations TB, that is really the key for me.

I think a lot of expectations have been out of whack this season.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Fletch

I think management...

seems to dictate expectations to a certain extent (personally, most of my expectations have been met this season, a couple above and a couple below, but pretty much on target thus far). When you acquire a guy like Cullen and play him on the second line, there's an expectation. Of course there were many in here who didn't see Cullen as a second line center, so there were different expectations.

As for Hollweg, I think some had higher expecations than others, and rightfully so. He was a decent scorer in juniors, so I don't think it's unreasonable to think he can become a third liner, but that just hasn't materialized. I do believe he's improved over last season. His all-around awareness is better this season. He's hitting a bit more than last season. He's taking less penalties. Now we just need to see the offense come around a bit. Last night's goal is a start. Will he build on it? We'll see.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote