HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doan Rumor - (E3-4) 1st Calgary, 2nd Montreal

Old
02-09-2007, 09:29 PM
XX
Lots of Try

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
They could use a fighter too. Laraque available too?
The Pens have been talking to the Coyotes about Laraque and he isn't with them on their trip to Flordia at the moment. Care to enter your bid?

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Mr San Diego Hab
Mosdell = Cup Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Ryder

for

Doan + conditional pick (2nd - 3rd rounder, if Doan doesn't resign).

Phoenix gets a 30 goal scorer, we get a good PFW rental that would boost our team into success. Sure it's overpayment, but Ryder will cost us 2m+ next season and I think our money would be better spent on Johnson/Bonk + Souray.
Jump ALL OVER this...I can't stand watching Ryder play anymore. Weak efforts, bad D...and if he tries to beat any D man with his weak one-on-one moves AND it works...it will be the first time

Mr San Diego Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:31 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSDHab View Post
Jump ALL OVER this...I can't stand watching Ryder play anymore. Weak efforts, bad D...and if he tries to beat any D man with his weak one-on-one moves AND it works...it will be the first time
Chris Higgins and a conditional 1st for Oleg Saprykin

I can do it too.

Old
02-09-2007, 09:32 PM
BLONG7

Ryder could use a change of scenery...then again, so could most of our team...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCopterKey View Post
How do you know the asking price will be high? Have you talked to Barnett recently? If you have I wonder if you could tell me if the Nagy rumours are true?

If Gainey lands Doan and a conditional pick for Ryder I will build a golden statue of him on my front lawn.

I'm not being critical of his game lately, he's just simply not a valuable player, especially to the Habs. The Habs are so deep on the wing and have more prospects coming up. I guarantee Kostitsyn will put up better numbers than ryder when he's even just half NHL ready if he gets top line RW duty because he's essentially the same player with a lot more speed, creativity, flair and an even better shot to boot. Ryder is very expendable.

I agree, it makes no sense from Phoenix's standpoint (although Comrie was traded for a garbage AHL cancer), I've said that from the beginning but don't tell me Doan makes no sense for Montreal. Is there even a single player available out there who isn't a rental? One of Doan's caliber anyways? Could we land him if there was? No, no and no. Not to mention he'd cost a fortune if that player existed. The precedent has been set. Rentals are worth young players and draft picks and if Doan is going to be available, Barnett will (well, maybe not, it is Barnett) be asking for a lot.
Lots of prospects but someone has to score.

Doan makes a lot of sense for Mtl. He brings what they lack. I still believe that rentals are acquired for futures and salary dumps though. You're adding, not replacing.
If they believed these young wingers were ready to carry the mail, they'd be doing it now. If Gainey thought Kostitsyn could match Ryder's goals, he would've dealt Ryder earlier and profited from cheaper production.

Ryder may be dealt, though I think it would be for a similar/age/$ value.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX View Post

I can do it too.
You can, but you probably shouldn't if you want to have any credibility here. <plonk>

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Habs

Quote:
Way to add to the thread

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allez-y Kovalief View Post
did you watch the last LOST episode?? be careful about hitting people with busses
good point

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:40 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ade/index.html

With Huet and Danis, Price is more expendable than you think. Read the article and humor me. I didn't say Gainey was going to give that up, merely Barnett wants Price. If Gainey really thought Doan would put him over the top, he should do it.

Who Dares Wins
Danis is a bust this year in Hamilton, Huet has been a bust of late and has one year left on his contract and he isn't going to be a legit #1 like Broduer.

Teams may want Price, but drafting him at 5th overall and trading him for rental makes no sense!!! It will not happen, Gillett would fire Gainey before approving such a deal.

Halak and Price are the goalies for the Habs, heck even goalie coach Melanson said that in training camp Price was the better goalie over Huet, Abby, Danis and Halak....Price is untouchable!!!!!

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Habitant

I don't think the players, the management, or the fans want to deal with the media firestorm of trading for a player who allegedly makes racist slurs against french refs. And how Phoenix trades away their best player is beyond me. Not gonna happen.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...es_politician/

Habitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:52 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
I don't think the players, the management, or the fans want to deal with the media firestorm of trading for a player who allegedly makes racist slurs against french refs. And how Phoenix trades away their best player is beyond me. Not gonna happen.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...es_politician/
Psst.

There was a lawsuit over that.

Guess who lost?

It wasn't Doan.

Old
02-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Habitant

Quote:
Psst.

There was a lawsuit over that.

Guess who lost?

It wasn't Doan.
Psssst! You must not live in Montreal if you think that matters with the press.

Old
02-09-2007, 11:58 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Lots of prospects but someone has to score.

Doan makes a lot of sense for Mtl. He brings what they lack. I still believe that rentals are acquired for futures and salary dumps though. You're adding, not replacing.
If they believed these young wingers were ready to carry the mail, they'd be doing it now. If Gainey thought Kostitsyn could match Ryder's goals, he would've dealt Ryder earlier and profited from cheaper production.

Ryder may be dealt, though I think it would be for a similar/age/$ value.
I would want Ryder to be traded for a long term solution too but be realistic, it's not going to happen.

If he was traded for Doan, Doan is the one who'd replace his offense. Once he was gone Kostitsyn would take over. Keep in mind I never said Kostitsyn was NHL ready for this year. I too found that pretty evident by Gainey/Carbo/whoever's decision to cut him at training camp.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:02 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
Psssst! You must not live in Montreal if you think that matters with the press.
Well, if your fellow Habitants can't look past your sensationalist francophone media then thats your loss.

Nagy is the one who uses racial slurs. Hes a real **** talker.

Old
02-10-2007, 12:08 AM
Habitant

Quote:
Nagy is the one who uses racial slurs. Hes a real **** talker.
Well then we need George Parros to bust him in his ****-talking mouth.

Old
02-10-2007, 12:12 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Again the difference is that Doan is a UFA and Ryder is an RFA...What is it that you people don't get? Ryder is at least of value as Doan to a team like Phoenix. They're rebuilding and they need players to come in and score for years to come...Ryder is a guy who can do that. Doan will likely not re-sign with Phoenix.
I doubt it would happen. But for the sake of it, Shane Doan is twice as valuable. He brings the intangible stuff Ryder can't. Ryder is the worst 30 goal scorer in the league. Doan is a freaking monster who can hit and score. He's got grit and drives the net. He's a very intelligent hockey player on top of it.

I'd take him in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that with Doan, the Habs would have a pretty solid mix of players.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Shabutie

Quote:

I can do it too.
You can't be serious.... I wouldn't trade Chris Higgins straight up for Doan, even if he was an RFA or had an extended contract.

Higgins has 40 goal potential, and could be a top 2 way forward for many years to come. So, while Chris is on the rise Doan is nearing his prime and 30 years old and I can't see him becoming much more than he already is.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Slick Nick

Doan is overrated.. a 25 goal scorer for 3 and a half milion, no thanks.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:22 AM
dodecapod*

a big, PKing, gritty, experienced, strong 25 goal scorer for $3+ million.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:27 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Doan is overrated.. a 25 goal scorer for 3 and a half milion, no thanks.
Right, nick. You'd rather have a peripheral prospect who hooks and grabs every two shifts. Because he's cheaper.

FAce it: the Habs need players that drive the freaking net. And are talented. Doan is both. Plus, he's got grit galore. Heck, he could be captain of this team that I wouldn't surprise.

Old
02-10-2007, 12:28 AM
deandebean

Plus, it would correct a old draft strategy that went tout croche.

Old
02-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Right, nick. You'd rather have a peripheral prospect who hooks and grabs every two shifts. Because he's cheaper.

FAce it: the Habs need players that drive the freaking net. And are talented. Doan is both. Plus, he's got grit galore. Heck, he could be captain of this team that I wouldn't surprise.
Oh, you're suggesting of replacing Perezhogin and his 8 minutes on the fourth by Doan?

or maybe the yotes are interested on a 1 on 1 deal Samy vs Doan...???

we already have to many wingers, Doan with his 3,3M$ is not even close to what we need right now. This rumor is plain stupid.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:

I dig the subtle (maybe not so much) jab at Perezhogin.

I haven't read through the whole thread but fact is Doan would be a huge plus to this team. As for the whole Ryder vs. Doan debate, I don't have much of a position, but I don't understand these people saying Doan ain't much of an of an upgrade. I doubt Ryder would be enough to pry Doan away anyways though. The Habs need a Doan type of player. He would be such an amazing fit here. A passionate guy who works hard all the time, has leadership and can play a top line role. Trading Price would be a little ridiculous, and I doubt PHO could get a top prospect like that, but I wouldn't be averse to trading a top pick for this kind of player. Doan is the type of player this team needs, the type of player we should be going after. Judging by PHO fans though, he's satisfied in PHO and might resign there in the offseason. Regardless, I think he would be a fantastic pickup but I don't know how much I would be willing to give up for him. Guess it all depends on the price.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:47 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Oh, you're suggesting of replacing Perezhogin and his 8 minutes on the fourth by Doan?

or maybe the yotes are interested on a 1 on 1 deal Samy vs Doan...???

we already have to many wingers, Doan with his 3,3M$ is not even close to what we need right now. This rumor is plain stupid.
We don't have wingers like Doan.

I agree that the rumor is false. But for the sake of it, Doan would be 1st line material WAYYYYY in front of everything we have right now. He's sandpaper with hands and intelligence. 100 miles ahead of all the ballerinas we have.

Old
02-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Tusk

Quote:
He's sandpaper with hands and intelligence.
Whoaaaahhh! Slow down maestro, I've been watching the habs pretty hardcore the last ten years, and I can tell you, hockey players like that don't exist. Good one though!

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote