HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 05:44 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Well, I can't state for certain what occurred in the men's room at the draft ...

We know MacT was in there; we know Nurse's grandfather was in there; we know they met, and we know this encounter was a factor in convincing MacT that Nurse was our guy.

MacT has repeated this story several times ...

... but perhaps he's just trying to entertain.
MacT was in the stall saying "Who is #2?" and grandpappy was in the stall beside him saying "I dunno, but Darnell should go #6".

Old
02-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Well, I can't state for certain what occurred in the men's room at the draft ...

We know MacT was in there; we know Nurse's grandfather was in there; we know they met, and we know this encounter was a factor in convincing MacT that Nurse was our guy.

MacT has repeated this story several times ...

... but perhaps he's just trying to entertain.

Anyhoo, the Nurse pick looks good, so it will be interesting to see what kind of story MacT can come up with next year in order to top this one.
I actually suspect he's trying to be entertaining

Of course, why he chooses to make himself look like a superstitious fool instead of rational or logical GM -even as entertainment- is a complete mystery.

Old
02-04-2014, 05:55 PM
McArthur

I'm not sure the Assistant Coaches are worthy enough to be there. That's quite the load for Eakins to have to do everything. I don't want to just shift the blame around but a lot of it is completely out of his hands. Until his lines stay fairly regular... But... Last year, we had one of the leagues best power play... What happened?

Old
02-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
I'm not sure the Assistant Coaches are worthy enough to be there. That's quite the load for Eakins to have to do everything. I don't want to just shift the blame around but a lot of it is completely out of his hands. Until his lines stay fairly regular... But... Last year, we had one of the leagues best power play... What happened?
The power play last year generated around the same shots/minute, but there was better puck movement and position swapping so shots were taken in better situations.

Eakins' strengths, to my eyes, are about instilling philosophies and overall systems. I don't think he's great at details the way that some coaches are, and we've got Kelly Buchberger running our PP this year. Krueger was at least able to compensate for the Buchberger ****show.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
The power play last year generated around the same shots/minute, but there was better puck movement and position swapping so shots were taken in better situations.

Eakins' strengths, to my eyes, are about instilling philosophies and overall systems. I don't think he's great at details the way that some coaches are, and we've got Kelly Buchberger running our PP this year. Krueger was at least able to compensate for the Buchberger ****show.
Last I heard, it was Acton running the special teams, not Buchburger or Smith.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

If the season keeps going the way it's going, the assistants are gone (maybe not Acton). Hopefully we can get somebody that can do special teams so Eakins can focus on fitness.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
armandh01

I keep trying to want to like him but he just hasn't shown me 1 thing that makes him a potential NHL coach let alone an actual NHL coach.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:19 AM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Honestly Eakins seems like he'd make a much better assistant coach or co-coach in charge of fitness. The guy knows his stuff when it comes to conditioning and health but at the NHL level these guys honestly should know most of that already or should be getting that from the trainers and others specializing in that.

Eakins (or any other HC) should be almost 100% on systems and getting the most out of the players utilizing their strengths. I just don't see any reason to think Eakins is making progress and the team isn't any better now that they were in the 1st 20 games (other than obviously better goaltending).

Take Bryz and Scrivens out and put Dubs/Barbara back in and this team would be worse than when they started.

144 shots against in the last 3 games... I just don't see where Eakins and the assistants are progressing... AT ALL.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:21 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
I just want to see the team try and honestly I don't think any coach is going to get them to do that.

They're all second tier stars who think they're first tier.

Old
02-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Slats432

For some weird reason I think Eakins is better suited to the AHL. To coach and motivate towards what it takes to be in the NHL. (Commitment, fitness etc)

In the NHL, you had better have strategies to beat the best coaches in the world. Hopefully he figures it out.

Old
02-05-2014, 02:31 PM
shogun99

Eakins jogs outside in the winter! I bet Babcock doesn't even do that.

Old
02-05-2014, 02:50 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I just want to see the team try and honestly I don't think any coach is going to get them to do that.

They're all second tier stars who think they're first tier.
I agree, they need to learn how to work. Hopefully this is simply a maturity thing but I have my doubts

Old
02-15-2014, 10:34 AM
matmik*

Another reason to fire Eaklns asap

Belov was a rock in today's game against the Americans.
Another indictment of Eakins inability to coach.
Belov should have a cornerstone of the Oilers defense instead of beinig constantly manipulated and belittled by Eakins.
Belov's play at the Olympics is clear evidence that with reaonable coaching this player can flourish.

Also, the Oilers should offer asap thier #1 draft choice to Columbus for Nikitin. An obvious defensive partner for Belov.

But again we'd need to fire Lowe to get that inspired GM tactic done.

Old
02-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmik View Post
Belov should have a cornerstone of the Oilers defense instead of beinig constantly manipulated and belittled by Eakins.
Belov's play at the Olympics is clear evidence that with reaonable coaching this player can flourish.

Also, the Oilers should offer asap thier #1 draft choice to Columbus for Nikitin. An obvious defensive partner for Belov.

pending UFA too, but this was a great read

Now, I agree that Belov looked much better today for Russia than he does for us. However, offering up our 1st for Nikitin is probably the most lopsided and gross trade proposal in the last 12 months.

Old
02-15-2014, 10:52 AM
matmik*

When does this board realize that draft choices are more likely to fail than ever come home.
Getting real players is more important than waiting one another "never will be", a la Nurse,etc.
A trade for Nikitin , or Tutin even better, would show real "boldness" and "intuition" instead of the typical fussing around the edges of the Oilers roster.

Again, to make any of those moves sensible, Eakins must be fired.

Old
02-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
When does this board realize that draft choices are more likely to fail than ever come home.
Getting real players is more important than waiting one another "never will be", a la Nurse,etc.
A trade for Nikitin , or Tutin even better, would show real "boldness" and "intuition" instead of the typical fussing around the edges of the Oilers roster.

I'm actually one of the biggest pushers on this board of moving our pick.

However, Tyutin and Nikitin (especially when Nikitin is a July 1 UFA) for the pick is ludicrous.

Old
02-15-2014, 11:57 AM
armandh01

Quote:

Tyutin and Nikitin have way different values. And your idea isn't bold. Just bad.

Tyutin and Nikitin are great additions...except not game changers for this club. Tyutin would be nice but I'd rather move a player. Nikitin is a bit green but he has a really good season do there is something there.

Old
02-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:

Trading a top 3 pick for a guy who is UFA in a few months that CBJ is highly unlikely to retain is not bold, it's moronic. On draft day I'm sure we could obtain his rights for a cond pick (3rd-5th rd based on whether he signs or not).

Also, if you think Nurse is a "never will be" then I truly question if you have any knowledge of hockey whatsoever. He may or may not reach his ceiling, but a big guy who plays nasty, can skate, shoot, and has puck skills will carve out a guaranteed NHL career.

Nothing could make your proposed moves "sensible," though I'm not opposed to firing Eakins for the many obvious reasons.

Old
02-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:

ah, but you are forgetting why the Oil hired Eakins. Consistent with almost everything they do, they hired Eakins not for what he is or can do, but for what they think and hope he will become.

Will he work out? the team seems to be coming around, not sure if that is a factor of Eakins or just improved goaltending and time, but they do seem to be playing and battling like a team of late. the PP gives up more chances then it creates. how the hell do you give up a breakaway every single PP and not reevaluate your approach?

I have no idea if he will work out. about 50-50.

Old
02-15-2014, 08:08 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
I felt sorry for team Russia when they named an Oiler defensemen to their team, I thought they were toast.

I don't think Eakins is going anywhere soon tho, the Oilers have been winning a lot of games now that they have a goalie who can stop all 59 shots in a game. Proof that Eakins systems are working lol.

Old
02-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Rafters

Quote:

Wonder if the size of the ice has anything to do with it

Old
02-15-2014, 09:06 PM
armandh01

I think only 1 single player has done ok under Eakins and it's Petry sadly.

Hopefully this Olympic break he gets some time to get a clue.

Belov should be better.

Old
02-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Shanahanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I think only 1 single player has done ok under Eakins and it's Petry sadly.

Hopefully this Olympic break he gets some time to get a clue.

Belov should be better.
I love Petry but he's been absolutely brutal by his standards this season. Still our best Dman by a mile, but he looks lost more often this year than he has since he made the NHL full time.

Old
02-16-2014, 04:42 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

You don't trade lottery picks for pending UFA's, especially when its a role player.

That is just ridiculously bad asset management. Hilariously bad even. If you were a GM trying to make that trade it would probably take 2 or 3 phone calls just to convince the other GM you were serious and weren't trolling.

Old
02-16-2014, 11:39 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

I suspect its something you learn with age. Problem with this board is once you start getting old enough to realize it you don't really have time for the messageboards any more.

Edit: Just seen your the guy offering our 1st for Nikitin. Thats an absolutely brutal trade no way you make that even if you hate all our prospects. Our 1st should be able to return something better then a UFA bottom pairing d man.

Closed Thread