HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think A.Kostitsyn deserves to be a regular?

Old
02-07-2007, 03:15 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH View Post
Perezhogin takes way too many dumb penalties. A sign of laziness or a guy who just doesn't pay attention.
Perezhogin isn't lazy but he does take some dumb penalties. But let's face it, he has probably only taken about 10 bad penalties this year. The team has bigger problems than Perez taking a bad penalty now and then.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan View Post
No he doesn't. He sucked when they gave him a chance. Cool, is dominating the AHL, but Carbo sent him down because he thought he was lazy. We guys want another lazy player on our team? Gimme a break!
You don't want him called up because you are a Dany Heatley (Ottawa) fan and Kosty might just make Montreal a better team than Ottawa.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:49 AM
BAOT

Send a message via ICQ to BAOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
Before bringing him up, I'd like to know what he can do without Grabovski (who's injured) and Milroy (who's been producing on a regular basis)...
Agreed.AK plays with Grabo long time since the they played for the team of Belarus in different ages. And they don't need any words to understand each other in the ice. This don't mean that they can't produced separately.But I sure - together they are real force!

BAOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think it's the right time of the season to be arguing about whether a player on our AHL team deserves to be in our top-6 forwards or not. And for sure there's not much point in him being up with the team in a lesser role or in the pressbox. I do believe Kostitsyn is ready for the NHL. I don't believe he would provide any greater impact at this level than, say, Perezhogin or Samsonov, who would be just two of a plethora of competitors for his minutes. So it's really a moot point. I look forward to seeing Kostitsyn with the Habs after training camp next year, and I sure hope we don't have any injuries that would necessitate seeing him here any sooner than that.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:55 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I don't think it's the right time of the season to be arguing about whether a player on our AHL team deserves to be in our top-6 forwards or not. And for sure there's not much point in him being up with the team in a lesser role or in the pressbox. I do believe Kostitsyn is ready for the NHL. I don't believe he would provide any greater impact at this level than, say, Perezhogin or Samsonov, who would be just two of a plethora of competitors for his minutes. So it's really a moot point. I look forward to seeing Kostitsyn with the Habs after training camp next year, and I sure hope we don't have any injuries that would necessitate seeing him here any sooner than that.
I do believe it's an upgrade over Perez and Sammy for the purpose of having tons of confidence (even if it's AHL confidence) compared to the other 2 and might be a great candidate at least for PP2 to get that powerplay going. Even strength minus the experience, I don't see him as a liability defensively and offensively, paired with Pleks, you might be able to recreate his tandem with Grabo.

Why do I have this bad bad feeling that he'll be traded before the deadline..... I mean after waiting for him for so long (relatively speaking), now seems the time that we see him shine but could shine elsewhere? We can't afford for that to happen even more for a rental player.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:00 AM
AH

Too many people have prospect-itis on this board. Bringing the guy up when the team is struggling and in a fight for a payoff spot, will only hurt him.

AH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:23 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I think he atleast deserves a chance.

And I don't mean 3 or 4 games.

I say let him finish the season with the Habs. He can replace Sammy.

I think all this guy needs is a fair shot. He has been very impressive imo when re-called. You can definately see that the potential is there.

Put him on one of the top 3 lines and see what he can do.

I think he can score some goals for us. I mean, we're struggling offensively..why not re-call a guy who can put the puck in the net?
This year ? I dunno... Next year: absolutely !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:04 AM
Sumhabs

Samso out, Muray out, downey out, Bégin in, kost in.

Sumhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:07 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumhabs View Post
Samso out, Muray out, downey out, Bégin in, kost in.
If you can get rid of Samsonov, he could play on that second line. Don't waste his time and skills on a 4th line. But right now, the team is badly struggling, the atmosphere is quite heavy. No time to bring up a rookie player.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:20 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Andrei Kostitsyn is currently on a 7 game point streak.. with 13 points in this streak.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I think he atleast deserves a chance.

And I don't mean 3 or 4 games.

I say let him finish the season with the Habs. He can replace Sammy.

I think all this guy needs is a fair shot. He has been very impressive imo when re-called. You can definately see that the potential is there.

Put him on one of the top 3 lines and see what he can do.

I think he can score some goals for us. I mean, we're struggling offensively..why not re-call a guy who can put the puck in the net?
I agree he could relace Samsonov the way the latter played this season. However, as long as Gainey is owning Samsonov, I don't think Kostitsyn is the guy to bring up.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Next Best Thing*

That whole line is at 1 PPG in the AHL. I must agree it's pretty impressive, for now. The best course of action right now is to let them ride the season out for the Dogs and get some playoff experience. After all it IS a developmental league. Any sort of experience in the playoffs they gan get is priceless, especially since the Dogs seem to be a strong team this year, they could go far. Not to mention they are 7-1-1-1 in their L10 so they are playing under a winning environment, compared to coming to MTL out of the blue and have their confidence shot.

Yep, Kost is where he belongs, for now.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:12 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

If you think about it, we added Latendresse and even promoted Max Lapierre. For a team that had "one, maybe two spots" for rookies in TC we're "Maxxed" out. We had a lot of youth to begin with. Perezhogin is gonna get the chance before Kostitsyn, even if Ryder has played himself off the top line. That's fair.

A lot of Latendresse-bashing here lately, so I know this goes against popular opinion, but #84 is deserving his top 6 minutes with hard work, getting shots on net, and yes, making rookie mistakes, but he's been better than Samsonov who's a veteran, and the realistic winger chart is like:

Kovalev
Higgins
Latendresse
Johnson
Ryder
Perimeter Sam
Perezhogin

Meaning those bottom 3 are all in Kostitsyn's way (though their spots are tenuous at best).

He's dominating the AHL. Good, he should be, and the experience is *not* hurting him. By the next TC we'll have squared away or otherwise dealt with lineup issues and if he comes to camp and earns the spot, you can bet he'll be here for the full year, just like Carbo had confidence in Latendresse.

I think Habs mgmt is trying to avoid the up/down Lapierre game with A. Kost. The supposed "bias" against Russians is a complete myth, a total lie, a slander against the coach and the team with no basis whatsoever. A fabrication dreamed up to make sense of something that already makes sense; the lazy play of Russians earns them demotions (expect Kovalev).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We certainly need a coach who lets the players play their game and not force them into his flawed defensive system that does more harm than good.
I keep reading that, you aren't the only one saying it, but.... what exactly are the *flaws* in Carbo's flawed defensive system. There are lots of coaches out there using a perfectly fine defensive system, so what makes ours so crap?

Not flaming, honest, I'm really wondering, what are the problems with it ?

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:18 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
You don't want him called up because you are a Dany Heatley (Ottawa) fan and Kosty might just make Montreal a better team than Ottawa.
For the 800th time, I'll say it: I'm not a Sens fan. I'm a Habs fan who likes Dany Heatley since his college day, that's why I picked that username in... 2002 when Heater was a rookie playing in... ATLANTA! But hey, I'll take the joke and shut my mouth I guess.

Back on topic: I don't think Kost would make our team better.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:42 PM
Teufelsdreck

Maybe he deserves to be on the team, but there's no room for him right now. A few trades, buyouts, or UFAs not re-signing could clear the field.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Kostitsyn isn't the answers to anyone's prayers, not this year at least.

He's a great call-up if someone were injured(we've been very fortunate thus far), but apart from that he's a rookie and probably wouldn't make much impact if guys like Ryder, Kovalev, Higgins, Latendresse and Ryder aren't performing.

Having both he and Grabovski on the same Habs line might do some damage, but that's not the best message to send your vets.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:25 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
I keep reading that, you aren't the only one saying it, but.... what exactly are the *flaws* in Carbo's flawed defensive system. There are lots of coaches out there using a perfectly fine defensive system, so what makes ours so crap?

Not flaming, honest, I'm really wondering, what are the problems with it ?
Carbonneau's defensive system is to send one man in. We have a speedy team, two men in with speed can cause a lot of havoc. Carbonneau's system is also not really pressure-oriented if you are in the offensive zone, it is too passive to the point where if pressure is relinquished at all you fall back into the defensive posture. Then when the other team is approaching, the defensive backs up and allows the other team space and time to keep positioning. Instead, we should be pressuring and taking away their time and space and force them into turn-overs, with our speed, turn-overs should be the name of the game.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Carbonneau's defensive system is to send one man in. We have a speedy team, two men in with speed can cause a lot of havoc. Carbonneau's system is also not really pressure-oriented if you are in the offensive zone, it is too passive to the point where if pressure is relinquished at all you fall back into the defensive posture. Then when the other team is approaching, the defensive backs up and allows the other team space and time to keep positioning. Instead, we should be pressuring and taking away their time and space and force them into turn-overs, with our speed, turn-overs should be the name of the game.
You're right, the system is not pressure oriented. And I agree, with speed should come pressure and turnovers in the offensive zone/side of centre. I've seen the odd game where the team *does* defend right up to the neutral zone; i.e. pressures more but only backs up to the red line, and holding onto the puck, but the players don't do it consistantly.

So I'm sure completely sure that it's always the system, or maybe the players aren't executing?

Because on the other hand, I've been watching Rivet back up to his own net (and Brisebois, and Souray, and Dykhuis, and Boullion, and Traverse, and Mononc' Serge and bloody Markov to boot) for years under Julien, Therrien, Vigneault, etc.

I'm gonna make a new thread, this is a good thing to discuss but OT in a Kostitsyn thread.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:13 PM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

I don't know about regular, but he deserves a chance, and by chance I mean 10 + games.

Give the kid a shot, see what he can do, If kosty was french, he would be first line.

cjbhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab View Post
I don't know about regular, but he deserves a chance, and by chance I mean 10 + games.

Give the kid a shot, see what he can do, If kosty was french, he would be first line.
Stop saying that; you know this not true. Who's french on the top two lines; Latendresse I'm fed-up of those kind of comments on racial issues; like frenchies; lazy russians or stupid square head; It doesn't deserve to be on this boards...even in life. It's hockey.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:23 PM
Habs13

After the trade deadline we can have as many players as we want on our roster, right? If so, that is the time to bring him up. Let him challenge Samsonov and Peezhogin for their spots... we'll see these guys work harder than they ever have before then.

If Hamilton was to make an early playoff exit, do you think Biron would get a chance at a Hab game? Or even Jancevski?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:39 PM
MXD

Yes, but Salary Cap and ... salaries means Samsonov is taking his place.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 04:40 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
If so, that is the time to bring him up. Let him challenge Samsonov and Peezhogin for their spots... we'll see these guys work harder than they ever have before then.
Uggghhh.. I don't want Kosty taking Perez spot as benchwarmer...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote