HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2014, 03:19 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
He's like leblanc though, if he wants to make the NHL he'll some some extra weight on that thin body of his.
yeah but dude skate's miles tho. way faster than LL.

Old
02-15-2014, 07:12 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Michael McCarron with two goals tonight. First one was a slapper. He's nailed a couple of posts with his slapshot this year, so it must be nice to get that one. McCarron has five goals and four assists in last ten games and exactly half of his production has come since the beginning of 2014. The move to centre has been a good one for him. Didn't watch the entire game, but was playing there when I was putting together the video. Towards the end he actually got a roughing penalty for leaving a scrum. The whistle went and he pushed the puck forward, when he bumped into a Sting defender. Then another one came at him and he skated away, getting the roughing penalty. Towards the end of the game he took a hit to the head and was visibly shaken, no call on the play.

Connor Crisp and Brady Vail faced each other. Crisp scored his 18th goal and 32nd point in his last 31 games with a garbage goal in front. Vail finished with a goal and an assist. Windsor won 6-3.

Over in the Q, Charles Hudon had a goal, bringing his career total to 99. Since the big trade, Hudon has seven goals and 13 assists in just 12 games. Hudon is on a nine game point streak, amassing six goals and nine assists. Jeremy Gregoire has two primary assists and an empty netter. He was named first star in the 5-3 victory.

Tim Bozon returned after missing one game due to injury. Grabbed an assist with a beautiful pass to Reinhart who just redirected the puck into the back of the net. He scored the game-tying goal in the third period with a deflection. Ice won the game 3-2 in a shootout.

Mark MacMillan with two goals and an assist. In his last nine games, he has five goals and six assists. One of the most entertaining players to watch in the prospect pool due to his speed and intensity. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Meanwhile, Mac Bennett has also finally been able to grab the points. Two more assists tonight. He has a goal and seven assists in his last six games.
Thanks for another great report and vids That. Your reports are really great for people like myself who don't get much chance to see our prospects much. Just wanted you to know that your efforts and observations and analysis of these guys is really very much appreciated. Great job.

Old
02-15-2014, 07:15 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
One of the things that really surprises me about Leblanc is how effective he is along the boards given his incredibly thin frame. Really surprises me. He's seems much more effective along the boards than he should be given his size. Strange...

Old
02-15-2014, 11:10 AM
HCH

In evaluating the progress of a player I am sure that organizations must consider both the age of the player and the amount of experience he has had at various levels along with his skill set to determine what kind of upside he might have.

Here's what I am getting at. Mike McCarron has 11 goals and 15 assists along with 103 penalty minutes in his first 53 games of hockey at the CHL level. In his first season, Milan Lucic had 9 goals and 10 assists in his first 62 games at the CHL level.

It's true that Lucic put up his numbers as a 17 year old while McCarron is 18 but we also don't know about the physical and emotional development of each player, nor much about their playing situation with regard to ice time and line mates.

I am not trying to say that McCarron will become another Lucic but following his progression could be interesting. Both are big bodied players who may take a bit longer to develop than average. Because their situations and organizations are different, I also doubt that McCarron would make the leap from junior to the NHL.

In any case, it will be interesting to watch because there hasn't bee anyone like McCarron in the organization for a long, long time. Personally, I would be thrilled if McCarron even came close to being another Lucic, even if it would take an extra couple of years of development.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:14 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
In evaluating the progress of a player I am sure that organizations must consider both the age of the player and the amount of experience he has had at various levels along with his skill set to determine what kind of upside he might have.

Here's what I am getting at. Mike McCarron has 11 goals and 15 assists along with 103 penalty minutes in his first 53 games of hockey at the CHL level. In his first season, Milan Lucic had 9 goals and 10 assists in his first 62 games at the CHL level.

It's true that Lucic put up his numbers as a 17 year old while McCarron is 18 but we also don't know about the physical and emotional development of each player, nor much about their playing situation with regard to ice time and line mates.

I am not trying to say that McCarron will become another Lucic but following his progression could be interesting. Both are big bodied players who may take a bit longer to develop than average. Because their situations and organizations are different, I also doubt that McCarron would make the leap from junior to the NHL.

In any case, it will be interesting to watch because there hasn't bee anyone like McCarron in the organization for a long, long time. Personally, I would be thrilled if McCarron even came close to being another Lucic, even if it would take an extra couple of years of development.
McCarron will never have Lucic's shot, but he'll used on the PK and will have a better défensive game, if he makes it to the bigs.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Michael McCarron with two goals tonight. First one was a slapper. He's nailed a couple of posts with his slapshot this year, so it must be nice to get that one. McCarron has five goals and four assists in last ten games and exactly half of his production has come since the beginning of 2014. The move to centre has been a good one for him. Didn't watch the entire game, but was playing there when I was putting together the video. Towards the end he actually got a roughing penalty for leaving a scrum. The whistle went and he pushed the puck forward, when he bumped into a Sting defender. Then another one came at him and he skated away, getting the roughing penalty. Towards the end of the game he took a hit to the head and was visibly shaken, no call on the play.

Connor Crisp and Brady Vail faced each other. Crisp scored his 18th goal and 32nd point in his last 31 games with a garbage goal in front. Vail finished with a goal and an assist. Windsor won 6-3.

Over in the Q, Charles Hudon had a goal, bringing his career total to 99. Since the big trade, Hudon has seven goals and 13 assists in just 12 games. Hudon is on a nine game point streak, amassing six goals and nine assists. Jeremy Gregoire has two primary assists and an empty netter. He was named first star in the 5-3 victory.

Tim Bozon returned after missing one game due to injury. Grabbed an assist with a beautiful pass to Reinhart who just redirected the puck into the back of the net. He scored the game-tying goal in the third period with a deflection. Ice won the game 3-2 in a shootout.

Mark MacMillan with two goals and an assist. In his last nine games, he has five goals and six assists. One of the most entertaining players to watch in the prospect pool due to his speed and intensity. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Meanwhile, Mac Bennett has also finally been able to grab the points. Two more assists tonight. He has a goal and seven assists in his last six games.
Beautiful write-up, my man

Old
02-15-2014, 12:37 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
It does look like he added some muscle, I just remember when he was drafted he weighed 150 at 6'1"
Now it says he's around 180 if he gets to 190-200 then he'll be fine. Could be another later round steal by Timmins.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
One of the things that really surprises me about Leblanc is how effective he is along the boards given his incredibly thin frame. Really surprises me. He's seems much more effective along the boards than he should be given his size. Strange...
He's not that thin, he's 6' and around 190lbs. He's not Petr svoboda or Wayne Simmonds.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Mccarron has had a few rough patches this year, but when he's been on he's played the kind of power with skill game that he needs to play to be a key player in the NHL. His upside is closer to Lucic/Bertuzzi/Tkachuk than of Bickell or Penner...obviously it will take work and reps to reach his upside.

Old
02-15-2014, 12:55 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
McCarron will never have Lucic's shot, but he'll used on the PK and will have a better défensive game, if he makes it to the bigs.
For all of the hype around Lucic, he averages 20 goals or less per year. I'm not to worried about the shot part of it. Getting to the dirty areas and scoring the gritty goals doesn't necessarily require a world class shot. That is what I would like to see from McCarron.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:06 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
For all of the hype around Lucic, he averages 20 goals or less per year. I'm not to worried about the shot part of it. Getting to the dirty areas and scoring the gritty goals doesn't necessarily require a world class shot. That is what I would like to see from McCarron.
Lucic does have a pretty good shot though. That's what makes him so good. He's a physical force that scores gritty goals, but also scores because of his superior snap shot.

Old
02-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Mccarron has had a few rough patches this year, but when he's been on he's played the kind of power with skill game that he needs to play to be a key player in the NHL. His upside is closer to Lucic/Bertuzzi/Tkachuk than of Bickell or Penner...obviously it will take work and reps to reach his upside.
I still don't buy the offensive upside from McCarron. Sure I'll give him that he's scored a bit more lately. That said, this would be anyone else and all we'd be hearnig is that he's getting his numbers against the 3 weakest teams in the league. I mean Sarnia didn't even dress 3 full lines last night. Since the return from the christmas break, kid scored 1 goal and 2 assists against teams not named Sarnia or Kitchener in 13 games.

Still think he has to work on his defensive game in order to provide some value in the NHL.

Quote:
Career average is 21.7 per 82 games and around 25-30 in his good years

Last edited by Mathletic: 02-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old
02-15-2014, 02:21 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathletic View Post
I still don't buy the offensive upside from McCarron. Sure I'll give him that he's scored a bit more lately. That said, this would be anyone else and all we'd be hearnig is that he's getting his numbers against the 3 weakest teams in the league. I mean Sarnia didn't even dress 3 full lines last night. Since the return from the christmas break, kid scored 1 goal and 2 assists against teams not named Sarnia or Kitchener in 13 games.

Still think he has to work on his defensive game in order to provide some value in the NHL.

I question posters that continually run down our prospects, even when they score. It's hard enough finding any posts here that are optimistic, but when it happens there's always the downers that fail to point out any positives, they dig up any negatives possible.

The London lineup has many centers and really good ones, Mike McCarron has his work cut out for him as teammate Anderson said. Look at the competition he has to compete for icetime with, besides all the other previously mentioned or debated eternally here. It's tiring reading posts from those that don't read what has already transpired here, if in fact you aren't trolling, what is the purpose of continually running down any positive reports about our prospects?

Old
02-15-2014, 02:29 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I question posters that continually run down our prospects, even when they score. It's hard enough finding any posts here that are optimistic, but when it happens there's always the downers that fail to point out any positives, they dig up any negatives possible.

The London lineup has many centers and really good ones, Mike McCarron has his work cut out for him as teammate Anderson said. Look at the competition he has to compete for icetime with, besides all the other previously mentioned or debated eternally here. It's tiring reading posts from those that don't read what has already transpired here, if in fact you aren't trolling, what is the purpose of continually running down any positive reports about our prospects?
No offense but I'm just trying to be as realist as possible. I was very positive on the Charles Hudon selection for example, same for Lehkonen. I don't see the point in watching reality with rose-colored glasses. You're entitled to be optimistic but I don't see the point in thinking that all of McCarron, Nevins, Vail and whoever will all become very important NHL players.

My honest expectations about McCarron from the beginning are that if he's going to become an NHL player it will be as a defensive player in the Travis Moen type. Kid has never shown any kind of offensive upside at any level. I understand that people would want a Milan Lucic here. Just saying that hoping for Lucic like development is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

So far I think I'm probably closer to reality than those hyping him as a dominant forward to be in the OHL and top-6 player to become in the NHL. Sure might happen but unlikely I find.

Having honest expectations for the kid is more fair than thinking he'll become a Lucic kinda guy when it's just very unlikely.

Old
02-15-2014, 02:41 PM
S Bah

Quote:
No offense but I'm just trying to be as realist as possible. I was very positive on the Charles Hudon selection for example, same for Lehkonen. I don't see the point in watching reality with rose-colored glasses. You're entitled to be optimistic but I don't see the point in thinking that all of McCarron, Nevins, Vail and whoever will all become very important NHL players.

My honest expectations about McCarron from the beginning are that if he's going to become an NHL player it will be as a defensive player in the Travis Moen type. Kid has never shown any kind of offensive upside at any level. I understand that people would want a Milan Lucic here. Just saying that hoping for Lucic like development is like trying to catch lightning in a bottle.

So far I think I'm probably closer to reality than those hyping him as a dominant forward to be in the OHL and top-6 player to become in the NHL. Sure might happen but unlikely I find.

Having honest expectations for the kid is more fair than thinking he'll become a Lucic kinda guy when it's just very unlikely.
When I start reading anything positive from your posts, I'll take note, in the meantime I think it's time for some white lightning straight out of the bottle.

Old
02-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
When I start reading anything positive from your posts, I'll take note, in the meantime I think it's time for some white lightning straight out of the bottle.
well, just read any Mantha thread on the prospects board or Wings board

After the 2012 draft I said I was almost in tears because Timmins picked Galchenyuk, Collberg and Hudon. Of course I was mad he picked Thrower over Severson but hey, gotta complain a bit

That said, there's nothing to add really about Hudon. We all know he's a good junior player. Remains to be seen what he can do at the next level. I think we all know what his strengths and weaknesses are, no point in debating over him. Same for Bennett and who have you. In the case of McCarron, I still don't think we agree on the type of player he can/should become. From draft day I said he suffered from the Alain Vigneault syndrome. That is, what chair does he sit on? No sure he even knows what his role is and I don't think I've been proven wrong on this one yet.

Old
02-15-2014, 03:05 PM
HCH

Quote:
I still don't buy the offensive upside from McCarron. Sure I'll give him that he's scored a bit more lately. That said, this would be anyone else and all we'd be hearing is that he's getting his numbers against the 3 weakest teams in the league. I mean Sarnia didn't even dress 3 full lines last night. Since the return from the Christmas break, kid scored 1 goal and 2 assists against teams not named Sarnia or Kitchener in 13 games.

I'll agree that he has to work on all aspects of his game. That is why he is playing junior hockey and not pro.

I am not sure what everyone expects as far as offensive upside goes. If he plays a rugged style he doesn't need to be a 25 or 30 goal scorer to add value to the team. That's the trouble when we all post our opinions on prospects... we all have different expectations of what they might bring to the team.

Some might see McCarron as a failure if he ends up scoring 18-20 goals a year while others might see that as highly successful if he brings other elements to the team. For me, 25 a goals a year from McCarron would make it a wildly successful pick.

Quote:
Since you are insistent on bring it down to decimal points, it is only 20.28 per 82 regular season games and 12 to 15 goals in poor years.

Old
02-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Mathletic

Quote:
I'll agree that he has to work on all aspects of his game. That is why he is playing junior hockey and not pro.

I am not sure what everyone expects as far as offensive upside goes. If he plays a rugged style he doesn't need to be a 25 or 30 goal scorer to add value to the team. That's the trouble when we all post our opinions on prospects... we all have different expectations of what they might bring to the team.

Some might see McCarron as a failure if he ends up scoring 18-20 goals a year while others might see that as highly successful if he brings other elements to the team. For me, 25 a goals a year from McCarron would make it a wildly successful pick.
It depends on the context in which he scores those points. If he scores 18-20 goals given Moen's role, that is given defensive minutes, then yeah, very succesful pick. If he scores those points like most enforcers. That is in an offense-friendly context then it would be a bit more mitigated. That said, 18-20 goals period would be more than I expect from him, and succesful anyhow.

Old
02-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Drafting a 17-20 goal scorer 25th overall should not be considered a disappointment and that's without taking in consideration the other elements he could bring.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:27 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

Is Lehkonen back from injury yet?

Old
02-15-2014, 04:32 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
Is Lehkonen back from injury yet?
Nope.

Habs Prospects website
Old
02-15-2014, 04:38 PM
Habbadasher

Just wanted to add my two cents on Vail.

I have watched him only a few times, once live, before the trade, and a friend of mine has season tickets to Windsor.

Anyway, the game I saw him, he was solid defensively, and when Windsor needed a goal late, he drove the net several times and the opposing player was unable to contain him. Vail was able to protect the puck and get the shot off, this despite Vail not having dominant size. He was dominant in the face-off circle that night.

My buddy says he has been playing much better, even before the trade, and his numbers have increased substantially.

Will he make it? I have no idea, but he is looking better than before. Given where he was drafted, if he makes it, that would be a huge bonus.

Old
02-15-2014, 04:44 PM
JAVO16

Vail having a good last season in the OHL at least bodes well for his transition to the AHL. As an eminent armchair GM, I like seeing that progression curve going up.

Old
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
Vail having a good last season in the OHL at least bodes well for his transition to the AHL. As an eminent armchair GM, I like seeing that progression curve going up.
Vail is the model archtype Timmins late round pick, a very dedicated team player and a coaches dream. The hard work ethic hasn't been missed by Vail and this could see him become more than just an AHLer, he has promise IMHO.

Old
02-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Habaddict

Quote:

So you liked both Hudon and Lehkonen. Is there a pattern there? Both smallish
players who lack top end speed, and look like they may struggle to add muscles.

Both have already proved that they can compete against grown men.

As a bias, it"s a lot more interesting than the bias some people have in
favor of size and/or fighting skills.

Closed Thread