HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Montreal perspective:Orr or Gretzky?

Old
02-10-2007, 04:52 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
A Montreal perspective:Orr or Gretzky?

I know I'm venturing into hallowed halls here but could I get an opinion from Canadien fans who have seen both? Orr or Gretzky? All due respect to Richard et al.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:56 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrodptl View Post
I know I'm venturing into hallowed halls here but could I get an opinion from Canadien fans who have seen both? Orr or Gretzky? All due respect to Richard et al.
Its a fairly young community here.

my memories of hockey are from the very late 80's. So I saw gretzky play but his career as an oiler is very fuzzy to me. I've always preferred mario over wayne anyways.

Bobby Orr is before my time... I've seen the hilites and how everybody raves about him. He has folk-like status in my brain but its unfair for me to make a half decent analysis of a guy I never had the privelage of watching.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:32 AM
flappuck

Mario Lemieux

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
The Rocket!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:36 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Gretzky was absolutely sensational in his prime. Orr was before my time, but my parent's generation always tells me that Orr was the most dominating player they had ever seen.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Capitano

Mario.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:45 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Jan Bulis.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:54 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Bobby Orr has the offensive genious of Gretzky + the defensive genious of... Bobby Orr. The most complete player I ever seen. He had the speed of Scott Niedermayer or Paul Coffey + the shot of Al Mc Innis. (almost)

Last edited by habitue*: 02-10-2007 at 11:04 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I would love to see Orr with his knees at 100% and a much longer career.

To win the Art Ross as a D is an amazing feat by itself.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:05 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
In my lifetime I would say that Orr was a tad better than Gretzky. I lived in Edmonton in the eighties and Gretz was a tad better than Mario but only a tad. Then we would see Gordie Howe. Hull, Beliveau and Lafleur were a shade below.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Calamari

Orr easily

Calamari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Shabutie

Orr without a doubt. Not only was he brilliant offensively, he was solid defensively and would drop the gloves regularly. I've only seen a couple handfulls of his games (nhl network), but every time I've seen him he simply amazed me.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:54 PM
brownman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Jan Bulis.
Fastest player in the world; I miss the little ****

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:19 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
In my lifetime I would say that Orr was a tad better than Gretzky. I lived in Edmonton in the eighties and Gretz was a tad better than Mario but only a tad. Then we would see Gordie Howe. Hull, Beliveau and Lafleur were a shade below.
Weve had, and are presently having this deabte on the history board. To me, it comes down to definition. The most accomplished player of all time was Gretzky. There are no what ifs, or if only's. Orr was the player who if I mentally picture him, was the best I ever saw. All depends on definition.

So, I say Orr by as close as you can get.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:25 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Weve had, and are presently having this deabte on the history board. To me, it comes down to definition. The most accomplished player of all time was Gretzky. There are no what ifs, or if only's. Orr was the player who if I mentally picture him, was the best I ever saw. All depends on definition.

So, I say Orr by as close as you can get.
Thanks all,I came to the Montreal board because of the sacred history of your team and the passion and knowledge of the fans.I had noticed that fans from Western Canada were always supporting Gretzky in this debate and wanted a view from the Bruins greatest rival.The Canadien/Bruin games of the late 60's and 70's were unmatched and loaded with Canadien HOF's who usually broke my heart.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Teufelsdreck

If all were of the same age and available in the same entry draft, I would go:
1. Orr
2. Lemieux
3. Gretzky

It would be an extremely difficult decision, and having only the 2nd or 3rd selection would not be a disappointment in any way, shape, or form.

Note that at the time they were drafted, their injuries and illnesses couldn't be foreseen, so that wouldn't have influenced my decision.

The only comparable dilemma today would be choosing between Crosby and Ovechkin.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:51 PM
HabstuckinTO

Orr - less full of himself. Gretzky, though a phenomenal player, would sell his grandmother if you gave him enough money. Ford, McDonald's, Domino's, etc.....when is enough enough?

HabstuckinTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:00 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
If all were of the same age and available in the same entry draft, I would go:
1. Orr
2. Lemieux
3. Gretzky

It would be an extremely difficult decision, and having only the 2nd or 3rd selection would not be a disappointment in any way, shape, or form.

Note that at the time they were drafted, their injuries and illnesses couldn't be foreseen, so that wouldn't have influenced my decision.

The only comparable dilemma today would be choosing between Crosby and Ovechkin.
You're right, if you start with those 3, your subsequent picks will decide who has the better team,because those 3 are so tight.

These guys are the best examples of why scouts can't just evaluate skills individually. Orr was a great skater, but no, I don't think he moved like Niedermayer or Coffey.Great shot,but better than any of the Hull's ? Maybe not. You could do the same with the other 2, but they are the greatest 'players'. Sometimes the individual skill doesn't define the player.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
V-2 Schneider

Orr.

I saw him play twice at the Forum, and was so let down,but happily chortling because it shut my grandfather up.He would never let up about the how great Orr was and he hadn't seen anyone like him since Howie Morenz, but all i cared about was if the Habs won, not seeing poetry in motion.I saw the poetry all right, but thankfully, never on home ice.Bobby couldn't seem to get out of his own end, and he'd have Backstrom or Richard with him stride for stride.

Some years later, I would see him live at Maple Leaf Gardens, and he never had trouble putting on a show in that old pile.Comparisons to Gretzky are apples and oranges; Orr was grace, power, speed and flair.Wayner looked the more dangerous, but Orr was more enjoyable to watch.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

We are talking about Colton Orr ?

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote