HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery the modern version of

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2007, 07:49 AM
  #1
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Sean Avery the modern version of

Glen Sather as a player. For those you who never saw Slats play, he was a pain in the plater like Avery. Always chirping, a high stick here, a slash there, a push from behnd after the whistle, etc.

Avery has a bit more skill then Slats did, but plays the same kind of game. Another player he reminds me of, and Stan the Man said the same thing last night during the game, is Johnny "Pie" McKenzie. Another one time ranger that Emile Francis made the mistake of trading who found a home and his game in Boston with Espo and the Big Bad Bruins.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:56 AM
  #2
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
I don't remember Slats as a player, but Avery reminds me most of Kenny (The Rat) Linsmen.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:56 AM
  #3
Finest
Puck Fittsburg
 
Finest's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 5,587
vCash: 500
I never had the chance to see Sather play, however Avery seems to be the shot in the arm that this team needed. Its a little to soon so say if his presence will turn anything around, but WOW do I like what I see.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:13 AM
  #4
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
I get the Hockey Package and watch alot of out of market games... Avery is a good example of how other teams play hockey. There is a purpose to his actions on the ice (talking about between the whistles.) He gets the puck in a shooting lane, he shoots it. He has a passing option open, he takes it. A hit is available, he takes it.

He plays a much simpler game, which ironically adds another dimension to this team. That fancy pants still this team usually plays is too complicated. If another team is just compitent in their own end, if they don't get caught chasing the puck and keep the forwards to the outside, it is easily solved. I hope this is a new trend on the team.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 09:47 AM
  #5
bleedrngrblue
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville,N.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
I don't remember Slats as a player, but Avery reminds me most of Kenny (The Rat) Linsmen.
No way......Avery will drop the gloves, and can do pretty well,Linsman was pretty cowardly and had plenty of bark but no bite to go with it. The few times he did get into altercations with other players he pretty much got waxed. I'd say he reminds me more of former Ranger Eddie Johnstone.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:15 AM
  #6
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,892
vCash: 500
Sean Avery has more talent in his pinky than Slats had in his entire body.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:20 AM
  #7
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Really? Career stats wise they are almost identical averaging about .33 pts per game.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:24 AM
  #8
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
I don't remember Slats as a player, but Avery reminds me most of Kenny (The Rat) Linsmen.
Really?

Linseman was very talented and made Darcy Tucker look like a choir boy.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 10:26 AM
  #9
bleedrngrblue
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville,N.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Really?

Linseman was very talented and made Darcy Tucker look like a choir boy.
Players like him are the reason to this day whenever I see a Flyer jersey I wanna punch someone!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:41 AM
  #10
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Glen Sather as a player. For those you who never saw Slats play, he was a pain in the plater like Avery. Always chirping, a high stick here, a slash there, a push from behnd after the whistle, etc.

Avery has a bit more skill then Slats did, but plays the same kind of game. Another player he reminds me of, and Stan the Man said the same thing last night during the game, is Johnny "Pie" McKenzie. Another one time ranger that Emile Francis made the mistake of trading who found a home and his game in Boston with Espo and the Big Bad Bruins.
Jesus, how old are you?

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:46 AM
  #11
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,345
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Really?

Linseman was very talented and made Darcy Tucker look like a choir boy.
Agreed. Avery isn't half as talented as Linseman.


Ahhh games were more fun then.

It would be nice to add back Linseman, Behn Wilson, Boxcar Hospadar, Fotiu the Maloney borthers and George McPhee ... back into some Rangers/Flyers games again.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:52 AM
  #12
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,545
vCash: 500
I can live with comparisions of players through diffrent eras.

But debating whos better of a player in the 60's and the 2007 is just meaningless.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
  #13
Prucha25Graves988*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
All i know is I was thinking about players this kid reminds me of and what i think I see is another version of DARCY TUCKER, except Avery isnt a dirty player, but does talk **** which I love.


Thats the only comparison I could think of.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:15 PM
  #14
slim399
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
He kind of reminds me of Esa Tikkanen.

Similar skill set. Both high energy 2 way players that love chirping out there and getting under peoples skin.

The only difference i see in them is that I dont remeber Esa fighting and they speak different languages.

Avery- English
Esa- Tikkanese

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:28 PM
  #15
Dagoon44
Registered User
 
Dagoon44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
PJ stock before the eye injuries. Tuff as nails but to short to fight the big boys with good offense and never shuts his mouth

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
  #16
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,450
vCash: 500
I remember and liked Sather as a player. For us he was pretty much a 4th liner but those were very good Ranger teams he played for. If anything though Avery seems to be a much better skater.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
  #17
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Jesus, how old are you?
Old enough to remember when the Gumper was the NYRs goalie. I had just started watching when the Gumper was traded. Got hooked on hockey when I went to my
1st live game in 63-64 when Rod Gilbert scored 2 goals against the Bruins in a 8-3 Ranger pounding of the Bruins. Big time Rod Gilbert fan as a youngster. Found a replacement in Ricky Middleton, short lived, then Donnie Murdoch, short lived, wanted Ryan Walter drafted by the blueshirts, loved him in Jrs. Then I saw Messier as a 17-18 year old and became a Messier fan even though he wasn't a NYR. Had him all the time in my fantasy league teams.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
  #18
SML
Registered User
 
SML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 3,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
PJ stock before the eye injuries. Tuff as nails but to short to fight the big boys with good offense and never shuts his mouth
Avery is waaaaay more Tikkanen than Stock. Stock was legit and fought more than Avery ever has, and Avery scores waaay more than PJ could have ever hoped to do.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
  #19
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
All i know is I was thinking about players this kid reminds me of and what i think I see is another version of DARCY TUCKER, except Avery isnt a dirty player, but does talk **** which I love.


Thats the only comparison I could think of.
Really? You didn't think that highstick was on purpose last night? Avery is dirty, but he will also go to any length to protect his teammates and delivery retribution.

The way everyone is absolving him of his dirty nature and smack talk makes me think back to when Barnaby came to us. And that's no offense to you P25G988, if that's your honest opinion I respect it but personally I have felt that Avery is dirty, just not as dirty as Tucker.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:11 PM
  #20
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Barnaby?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:30 PM
  #21
WheresBarnaby
Registered User
 
WheresBarnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,607
vCash: 500
Kind of similar to Barnaby yeah, Avery's a better skater though.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:07 PM
  #22
Prucha25Graves988*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Really? You didn't think that highstick was on purpose last night? Avery is dirty, but he will also go to any length to protect his teammates and delivery retribution.

The way everyone is absolving him of his dirty nature and smack talk makes me think back to when Barnaby came to us. And that's no offense to you P25G988, if that's your honest opinion I respect it but personally I have felt that Avery is dirty, just not as dirty as Tucker.
Well i couldnt argue with it, as I dont know much about him, but i think enough to throw out an opinion.

I was actually gonna say similar to barnaby, but because Avery has some offensive ability I see him becoming more of a Tucker who as of the last cople years can put the puck in the net. as Barnaby can but not like Tucker. i think thats where my comparison comes from the offensive side.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:07 PM
  #23
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 19,999
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Old enough to remember when the Gumper was the NYRs goalie. I had just started watching when the Gumper was traded. Got hooked on hockey when I went to my
1st live game in 63-64 when Rod Gilbert scored 2 goals against the Bruins in a 8-3 Ranger pounding of the Bruins. Big time Rod Gilbert fan as a youngster. Found a replacement in Ricky Middleton, short lived, then Donnie Murdoch, short lived, wanted Ryan Walter drafted by the blueshirts, loved him in Jrs. Then I saw Messier as a 17-18 year old and became a Messier fan even though he wasn't a NYR. Had him all the time in my fantasy league teams.
One of my favorite all-time players and was sadden by his death, that guy had balls to play without a mask.


__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:18 PM
  #24
HVPOLARBEARS19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NY
Country: Israel
Posts: 2,055
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
He reminds me of Esa Tikannen more than anyone else.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:30 PM
  #25
HenrikO'doyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399 View Post
He kind of reminds me of Esa Tikkanen.

Similar skill set. Both high energy 2 way players that love chirping out there and getting under peoples skin.

The only difference i see in them is that I dont remeber Esa fighting and they speak different languages.

Avery- English
Esa- Tikkanese
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9BdZX8vRdhs

^Thats actually a video of Tikkanen attacking Marty Mcsorley, pretty funny. It starts off with Mcsorley fighting Messier. As for Avery I think of him being like Barnaby the most.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.