HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Scuderi in the offseason

Old
02-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Ollie Weeks
First In, Last Out

vCash: 500
LA could very well be interested in re-acquiring him this offseason were he made available.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:31 AM
johnjm22

Please come back to LA. We miss you.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:38 AM
startainfection*

to the islanders please

startainfection* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:52 AM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

vCash: 595
He's the piece. I would like to move him, but I doubt we do.

iFishyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 12:26 PM
Mister Hockey

Scuds I like, but I sign Niskanin. Best throw in ever.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 01:46 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

The Penguins aren't going to trade Scuderi now. They can't: it's too soon to trade a guy who just signed here as a UFA, and our young guys aren't quite ready. After this season, or sometime in year 2 or 3 of his contract, would be the appropriate time to trade him. But remember: we're allowed to be 10% over the cap during the summertime, and given that we won't want to trade Scuderi unless we first sign Niskanen, we would realistically get Niskanen signed up first before looking to move Scuderi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
That is a good point CH. My issue with Scuderi is that he's signed for 3 years, so he'll just be a roadblock when Dumoulin, Pouliot and Harrington are ready. Then again, if we re-sign Niskanen, it will probably be for 4+ years and for more money than Scuderi.
To continue the point mentioned above: Scuderi will become a trade candidate if we re-sign Niskanen, AND if we have our eyes on a higher priced forward for our top-6/9. Otherwise, we would have cap room for them both.

Another factor may also be the question of if the Penguins trade one of their young Dmen, such as Despres or Dumoulin. If they traded say, Despres, there wouldn't be the issue of needing to make room for Simon next season, since he'll be no longer waiver-exempt. And that would mean trading Scuderi or letting Niskanen walk may not be as much of a necessity.

This is really going to be an issue that is driven by cap space requirements and young players we can't lose off waivers (such as Despres). So I think the order of priorities is:

1) Who do we get to play with Crosby for next season (who is an upgrade over Dupuis)? If it's someone on an inexpensive ELC or player who hasn't broken out yet, or a player who is a reclamation project (i.e. Setoguchi) who we might be able to get on a cheap deal, we may not be forced make a deal to open up cap space.

2) Whether or not we want to or can re-sign Niskanen. If we don't re-sign Nisky, case-closed -- we'll have lots of cap room. If we decide we want to re-sign Nisky, then we may well have to move Scuderi to open up cap space.

3) Which player we may trade between now and the start of next season off our current team. Whether's it's a young guy like one of our D prospects, or a vet that we can't re-sign or trade (Nisky, Orpik or even Scuderi), depending on what that player brings in in return will dictate what we need to do cap-wise. If we could trade a guy like Orpik+ or Nisky+, or a guy like Despres+ or our 1st rounder+, and we end up getting a young winger on an inexpensive contract, and that may enable us to re-sign Nisky AND keep Scuderi.

4) The consideration of extending Paul Martin, which we couldn't execute until July, but we could get an agreement in principle after the season ends.

In short, there are A LOT of moving parts to this whole equation and discussion of: do we keep/trade Scuderi? Do we keep/trade/let walk Niskanen? What do we do about a winger for Crosby? Do we initiate discussions with Paul Martin about an extension? These are all significant questions which are intertwined and will influence what decisions we eventually make, with all of these guys and with our team in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmError29 View Post
It's either play him or Pouliot on his off-side. I'd much rather prefer for Scuderi to be playing his off-side.
Harrington is the guy who, out of all of our left-handed D prospects, is the most likely to play the right side; not Pouliot. And while I believe Harrington would be ready to step in next season, or certainly the year after, I believe Pouliot will need at least 1 (and more likely 2) seasons in the AHL before making the jump. I think by the time Pouliot is ready to step into the NHL, Scuderi will be gone.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 05:33 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyShore99 View Post
So who's better, name em bud, not many are there genius
I'm better. Along with Tony Bagels, Johnny Bandana, Vinny Carwash, and Fat Dennis.

All better

JimmyTwoTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 09:57 PM
JerseyShore99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I'm better. Along with Tony Bagels, Johnny Bandana, Vinny Carwash, and Fat Dennis.

All better
You too bud, don't know nothing bout hockey

JerseyShore99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 10:05 PM
PPenguins724
87 - undisputed best

I'd deal Scuderi for Nichushkin. Dallas gets a solid, established D-Man and another cog in the 2008-09 Penguins defense that they seem to be collecting, and the Penguins get another young scoring forward from the Stars. Everybody wins, right?

PPenguins724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 11:21 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyShore99 View Post
it's good enough o get on his Olympic team buddy
Let's make this very clear - Orpik is on the Olympic roster for two reasons - a.) his coach & GM are the coach & AGM of Team USA and b.) Ryan Suter is the only other defenseman on the roster that has prior Olympic experience (Martin being named to the 2010 team, but missing it due to injury). I actually think the experience factor is bigger than the Penguins factor for his selection, considering his selection seemed to be etched in stone from the start.

Orpik is a long cry from the defenseman he was in 2010.

Scuderi won't be dealt. He took a 'hometown' discount to sign with the Penguins and hasn't been actively bad, he just hasn't been great. Given that he's coming off an injury (his first injury to cause him to miss playing time since missing a month from mid-November to mid-December 2009 I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for being merely a average so far this season. The Pens want his veteran presence on the blue line as a steadying influence on the youngsters...especially after Orpik walks after this season.

Scuderi also doesn't exactly play the type of game that shines in mid-January. In most games I barely notice him, and that means he's done his job.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Randy Butternubs

vCash: 50
Based on the invitee list, there weren't too many "shutdown" types available.

Back on topic though, I don't see Scuderi being traded until the last year of his contract.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote