HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Frans Nielsen +1st rounder

Old
02-16-2014, 05:04 PM
Isleswillrise*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Just IMO, but I feel the Canucks and Islanders are excellent trading partners. The Canucks are trying to build up their prospect base and the Isles are future heavy. Meanwhile, the Isles are trying to get better sooner, which the Canucks can help them with.

The Schneider deal is a clear counter example of your theory. Horvat does not help the Canucks right now, yet the Canucks traded a prime mid-aged asset to get him. A potential Edler deal follows that same line of thought.

Also, the proposal in this thread was for the Islanders' pick, not Strome or Nelson.
thats all well and good Bleach, but we both know that Kesler's not the same player he was even 2 years ago, and I love the guy. he's a warrior, and Edler scares me, nobody knows what to expect from him at this point.... he was a star in the making but he's not the same guy, Maybe all he really needs is a fresh start. but I wouldnt bet my life on it....... He's closer to a 4, now than he is a 1. I know you were against the Sedin re-signings, as was I, but MG, did it his way and now we're stuck... he may as well back his play. He cant vacilate, it doesnt work. our chance disappeared when he traded Cody and Cory.
I cant help but think the Canucks future would be 100% brighter if those two deals were never made. The Ballard and Booth and Roy deals, were no help either..... as was letting Ehrhoff walk

Isleswillrise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleswillrise View Post
thats all well and good Bleach, but we both know that Kesler's not the same player he was even 2 years ago, and I love the guy. he's a warrior, and Edler scares me, nobody knows what to expect from him at this point.... he was a star in the making but he's not the same guy, Maybe all he really needs is a fresh start. but I wouldnt bet my life on it....... He's closer to a 4, now than he is a 1. I know you were against the Sedin re-signings, as was I, but MG, did it his way and now we're stuck... he may as well back his play. He cant vacilate, it doesnt work. our chance disappeared when he traded Cody and Cory.
I cant help but think the Canucks future would be 100% brighter if those two deals were never made. The Ballard and Booth and Roy deals, were no help either..... as was letting Ehrhoff walk

Hmmm, I think you may be misremembering my position with regards to the Sedins+Hodgson deals. I was not impressed with the Schneider deal, but that's a story for another thread.

How each of us feels about Kesler+Edler is less relevant, I think, to their value on the open market. Now, Gillis just gave Edler a contract that is richer than any other Dmen on the Canucks. He let Ehrhoff go because he wanted that 5m+ contract early. That should indicate to us how he views Edler. I'd say he values him more than he did Schneider.

The Schneider deal is the template. It was a move to add a high end forward, even one that is years away, at the expense of a current asset. Moving Edler would be the same thing. That's why it seems plausible to me. I don't think Kesler goes anywhere though FWIW.

Ronning On Empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:58 PM
Isleswillrise*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Hmmm, I think you may be misremembering my position with regards to the Sedins+Hodgson deals. I was not impressed with the Schneider deal, but that's a story for another thread.

How each of us feels about Kesler+Edler is less relevant, I think, to their value on the open market. Now, Gillis just gave Edler a contract that is richer than any other Dmen on the Canucks. He let Ehrhoff go because he wanted that 5m+ contract early. That should indicate to us how he views Edler. I'd say he values him more than he did Schneider.

The Schneider deal is the template. It was a move to add a high end forward, even one that is years away, at the expense of a current asset. Moving Edler would be the same thing. That's why it seems plausible to me. I don't think Kesler goes anywhere though FWIW.
maybe I am, but i thought You were against committing to the Sedins. as being a mistake.....

the thing is trading Schneider and resigning the Sedins, means we are a win now team, we're tied to our mid 30's stars and NTC's.

you cant play it half way. because that leaves you too good to draft well and not good enough to win it all

Isleswillrise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Ronning On Empty
Formerly BleachClean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleswillrise View Post
maybe I am, but i thought You were against committing to the Sedins. as being a mistake.....

the thing is trading Schneider and resigning the Sedins, means we are a win now team, we're tied to our mid 30's stars and NTC's.

you cant play it half way. because that leaves you too good to draft well and not good enough to win it all

Gillis believes in the DET model of playoff frequency, not full tank/all in modes. DET keeps an eye on present and future, and not just one or the other, and they have been a model of playoff consistency. This year, they are getting help from their youth at exactly the right time.

When it was speculated at the time that Edler was being shopped to DET, the potential returning names were all picks/prospects. If a GM believes in going all in, what sense was there in wanting deal Edler for futures? Unless, Gillis felt his team would be better served long-term by doing so.

We can talk about this more over at the VAN boards, but I definitely feel that the move for Horvat, and the speculation of Edler being dealt for futures, follows that scheme of building youth while doing just enough to give your NHL club a chance. Not stack it, but make it a factor. Then you get the eventual push from your younger players. Dealing Edler would work along those lines.

Ronning On Empty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:45 PM
OzzyFan

Hammer isn't happening for Nielsen+mid/late 1st rounder. Hammer is on too good of a contract.

I could see Edler pulled for Nielsen + mid/late 1st rounder if Nucks are retooling or just want a shakeup trade.

On any front, I don't think Snow signed Nielsen to that contract to trade him away. Plus, does anyone know the isles everyday 3rd line center? Point is, they need him for center or even forward depth more than they need another d-man imo.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote