HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worcester Sharks News & Discussion IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2014, 08:29 PM
sr228

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
So, what happened tonight? It's not a close game.
I stopped watching after 2 periods. They've been outscored 13-1 in a bit under 6 periods of hockey.

They look like the 'old' (meaning earlier this season) WorSharks.

Old
02-15-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
So, what happened tonight? It's not a close game.
Two words: Roy. Sommer.

He's got to go.

Old
02-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Lebanezer
I'unno? Coast Guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Two words: Roy. Sommer.

He's got to go.
Man, I was encouraged by the recent remarks on here. Was even thinking about going to a game.

Old
02-16-2014, 08:08 AM

No links for yesterday's games (I even mailed it in on Sharkspage and just reposted the WorSharks press release)...to be blunt, there's nothing in them that won't make people want to throw up.

Old
02-16-2014, 06:47 PM
Falstaff

Quote:
Man, I was encouraged by the recent remarks on here. Was even thinking about going to a game.
You should give it a shot--games are usually a good time.

Speaking of a good time, today's game in Springfield was pretty darn entertaining. Great place to see a game.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstaff View Post
You should give it a shot--games are usually a good time.

Speaking of a good time, today's game in Springfield was pretty darn entertaining. Great place to see a game.
It's my second favorite road venue (Glens Falls is first). Too bad they couldn't get it done again. Maybe if DeMelo would start spending more time learning to not turn the puck over vs favoring my tweets they'd win more often.

Old
02-16-2014, 07:32 PM
Falstaff

Could great men thunder
As Jove himself does, Jove would ne'er be quiet,
For every pelting, petty officer
Would use his heaven for thunder;
Nothing but thunder! Merciful Heaven,
Thou rather with thy sharp and sulphurous bolt
Split'st the unwedgeable and gnarled oak
Than the soft myrtle: but man, proud man,
Drest in a little brief authority,
Most ignorant of what he's most assured,
His glassy essence, like an angry ape,
Plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven
As make the angels weep; who, with our spleens,
Would all themselves laugh mortal.

Old
02-20-2014, 05:49 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.telegram.com/article/2014...06/1009/SPORTS
Chad Rau featurette; 2/28 game moved to 2/27

Old
02-21-2014, 05:16 PM
StalockSuperfan

How has Abeltshauser been doing? I'm curious about his upside, NHL eta, etc.

Old
02-21-2014, 05:28 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by StalockSuperfan View Post
How has Abeltshauser been doing? I'm curious about his upside, NHL eta, etc.
He's been OK. He's pretty good in the offensive zone but he needs quite a bit of work on his defensive play like positioning and reads. I don't think there's any change in his upside and he's probably still at least another year (likely more) away from seeing NHL time.

He and Acolatse have found some pretty good chemistry when they're paired together and when they're both playing well they compliment each other very well.

Old
02-21-2014, 09:59 PM
KirbyDots

210 will hate this, from Kurz chat.

"Do you think it's time for a coaching change at Woosta?"

"Kevin Kurz:
No. Who cares if they are bad? They are there to develop players at the NHL level. And recently their best players were all here on the Sharks"

Old
02-21-2014, 10:09 PM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post

"Kevin Kurz:
No. Who cares if they are bad? They are there to develop players at the NHL level. And recently their best players were all here on the Sharks"
Welp, that just confirms Kurz doesn't 'get' hockey.

Old
02-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:

"Kevin Kurz:
Sounds like a Kurz thing to say. I guess he doesn't care if players developing learn to do the right things that are supposed to lead to winning games. Hilarious that a professional franchise wouldn't care about winning. What an obnoxiously stupid thing to say.

Old
02-22-2014, 12:20 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:

"Kevin Kurz:
He's not wrong but obviously they need to be better than what they are and a coaching change is needed.

Old
02-22-2014, 12:59 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He's not wrong but obviously they need to be better than what they are and a coaching change is needed.
He's absolutely wrong, no winning organization is ever 'not going to care about being bad'. You want to foster a culture of winning, from the bottom up. That kind of attitude is a great way to remain mediocre.

On top of that, from what I gather, Sommer is terrible about developing players, and win or lose that cannot continue.

Frankly, I have no freaking idea why that guy is still coaching at this point, let alone going forward.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:40 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
He's absolutely wrong, no winning organization is ever 'not going to care about being bad'. You want to foster a culture of winning, from the bottom up. That kind of attitude is a great way to remain mediocre.

On top of that, from what I gather, Sommer is terrible about developing players, and win or lose that cannot continue.

Frankly, I have no freaking idea why that guy is still coaching at this point, let alone going forward.
He's not wrong that the AHL is a development league. Worcester being bad isn't ideal but its been this way for some time. Hopefully Joe Will can turn it around and has the green light to make wholesale changes starting with the coaching staff.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:52 AM
SactoShark

vCash: 3000
Honest question, because I have non such knowledge… Which consistently contending NHL teams have the same situation in the AHL?

Old
02-22-2014, 02:59 AM
WTFetus
Marlov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Honest question, because I have non such knowledge… Which consistently contending NHL teams have the same situation in the AHL?
No knowledge either, but based on a quick wiki-ing (only goes back to 07-08), Chicago's has a pretty similar record the last three seasons, and a worse playoff record the two seasons prior to that. Boston's was great last season, but was similarly bad the three seasons before that.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:15 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post

I think the point is, that in the NHL, it is very rare that a struggling young player with potential will play over a performing veteran...winning is what matters; development is second.

In the AHL, coaches will frequently give more responsibilities to struggling players, constantly put players in situations they are not "supposed" to succeed in on purpose...development takes precedence over winning. A coach will almost always play a struggling young player with potential over a performing veteran.

Now, of course, there appear to be valid concerns regarding Sommer and his staff's ability to develop players. That should definitely be addressed. But if Worcester can continually churn out players like Braun, Wingels, and Desjardins...the NHL brass could not care less if the team is winning.

Old
02-22-2014, 03:18 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
No knowledge either, but based on a quick wiki-ing (only goes back to 07-08), Chicago's has a pretty similar record the last three seasons, and a worse playoff record the two seasons prior to that. Boston's was great last season, but was similarly bad the three seasons before that.
I am sure some of you will remember the ESPN article...in 1992 was it? Maybe '93? The Sharks AHL team had just won the championship, IIRC, with the NHL club...doing poorly.

The ESPN writer expressed his shock at the fact that the NHL team could be so bad whilst having such a good minor-league team. Had HFboards been around at the time, I can only imagine the collective face-palming.

Old
02-22-2014, 09:05 AM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
He's not wrong that the AHL is a development league. Worcester being bad isn't ideal but its been this way for some time. Hopefully Joe Will can turn it around and has the green light to make wholesale changes starting with the coaching staff.
Yep, the AHL is a development league and technically, Kurz is right - who cares if they're bad as long as they consistently graduate player to the NHL and those players can contribute.

It's fair to question Sommer's ability to develop players and it certainly seems like a different coach might be able to get more out of the players so like you said, hopefully at some point Will will be given the green light to make changes.

Old
02-22-2014, 10:22 AM
dmband

We can only pray that there is an agreement to let him set the all time ahl games coached record and then he will step down or retire. I think he gets there this year.

Amazing tidbit from the telegram that this was the worst 100 game stretch points wise of the 6 in their first 600. How that warrants a continued coaching job is unfathomable.

Old
02-22-2014, 02:15 PM
offkilter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
While my results are still preliminary, it appears a consistent NHL contender with a consistent poor performing AHL team is an exception not the status quo. Of the last 15 or so Stanley Cup champs only Chicago/Rockford and New Jersey/Lowell-Albany are the ones that fit that mold. Granted the year the Bruins won the cup Providence was bad, but they're mostly playoff contenders year after year alongside their parent club.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:

"Kevin Kurz:
Kurz is a mouthpiece for the SJSharks. And, to be honest, so aren't most of the media that covers the team. No one wants to get shut off from info, so no real reporting on the team happens.

Old
02-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
I am sure some of you will remember the ESPN article...in 1992 was it? Maybe '93? The Sharks AHL team had just won the championship, IIRC, with the NHL club...doing poorly.

The ESPN writer expressed his shock at the fact that the NHL team could be so bad whilst having such a good minor-league team. Had HFboards been around at the time, I can only imagine the collective face-palming.
I'd love to know which AHL Calder Cup champion was affiliated with San Jose...or runner up, for that matter.

Closed Thread