HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Five Theoretical UFA Situations

Old
02-16-2014, 11:17 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'm sure you would, but he is going to take advantage of the market and get 3-4 years out of someone. Not saying it needs to be us, but that will definitely happen.

Boyle would a good signing for 2 years at anything around 12 or less imo.
oh, I agree with you

Boyle is also another short-term option

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 12:19 PM
Flyerfan4life

kimmo already got his reward year this season.

time to move on for both sides.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:01 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Meh, Michael Raffl is a dime a dozen forward. He's a less physical version of Darrol Powe. If someone were to offer a decent draft choice for him, I'd move him.
yeah we need more physical players. dont have enough of that.
Raffl is a really good bottom 6 guy. who cares if hes not physical. he has shown he can play in the NHL.
would rather have a responsible player like Raffl on the bottom 6 then trading for more stupidity.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:15 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Just looking to kill some time during the Olympic break. I'm sure some of these guys will either be signed by their current teams or offered more on the open UFA market, but for discussion purposes... for each one, if the player were available after the initial free agent frenzy and could be had for the contract listed, do you do it?

Note: Flyers should have around $12m to spend after resigning their key RFAs.

Halak or Hiller 1 year $3.5m:the offseason goalie shuffle leaves one of the two without a clear starting job and they'd take a one year deal at a discount. Mason is our starter these two can challenge him. Do you spend the cap space on a guy who may turn out to be back up?

Markov $5.5m 4 years: could be Streit part two but is one of the only guys available who have been a first pairing D. 35 years old and injury prone. Assuming Timonen retires we have a gap for a PMD. Do you sign Markov until he's essentially 40?

Boyle or Timonen 2 years $4.5m: Timonen 38 tells the team he's not ready to retire and wants a two year deal, Boyle 37 is also available looking for two years. Do you sign either?

Heatley $3.75m 3 years: this guy has fallen off sharply but at half his current price is his worth the gamble? To find out you need to make a three year commitment.

Iginla $4m 1 year: we don't need him on RW but let's say he approaches the team with this offer because he wants to play top line minutes and with Giroux.

Do you bite on any of these? Multiple while staying within the cap?
no. he'll no. Boyle will get better than that, I'd do 1 yr/6 again for kimmo. 1yr for heatley, but I'm not a fan anyway. no.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
I have been a skeptic of Raffl, but he can't be traded for any less than one of the top 40 or so picks in the draft right now. Don't think you'd get that.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 01:57 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
The only problem with this is if Boyle wants to play 3-4 more years, he is going to get that deal. San Jose will probably be the only place he will accept a shorter deal with, but it has been a problem with their negotiations right now. He wants 3 years and Sn Jose is only going 2. On the market, he probably could even get 4 for around 22 million I would say.
Id do 3 years. Probably wouldn't do 4.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:06 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Id do 3 years. Probably wouldn't do 4.
but would Homer?

you know he wouldn't have a problem with giving Boyle 4+ years

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 02:12 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I have been a skeptic of Raffl, but he can't be traded for any less than one of the top 40 or so picks in the draft right now. Don't think you'd get that.
wait what? why are we a skeptic of raffl? he is preforming well above his contract and will again when he gets his new deal unless homer goes full holmgren

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
wait what? why are we a skeptic of raffl? he is preforming well above his contract and will again when he gets his new deal unless homer goes full holmgren
He said "have been" which implies he doesn't think that way right now.

Most of us were probably rightfully skeptic of Raffl being anymore then Nodl when he was signed. He's been a very pleasant surprise all things considered. Ideal third liner really.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:08 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Is the OP living in 2000? No need to spend all of that on aging over the hill players.

Let our young corp grow together for ****s sake. This team is still a year or two away from competing, but the best way to get there is to let the guys we have grow into their roles on this team and build that chemistry up.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 04:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Yes to Boyle, Kimmo as well. No to everything else.

Markov would be a pretty good fit IMO but no way in hell would I sign him for more then two years.

Make that a hell yes to Boyle. I would follow that up by shipping out Grossmann.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah we need more physical players. dont have enough of that.
Raffl is a really good bottom 6 guy. who cares if hes not physical. he has shown he can play in the NHL.
would rather have a responsible player like Raffl on the bottom 6 then trading for more stupidity.
Since when is Raffl getting knocked for not being physical. He's actually a very good hitter. He's fast on the puck carriers finishes his checks.

He's been very wherever they've used him up and down the lineup - a smart, fast skilled player who can play special teams, first line LW, fourth line C.

He's an underrated asset, and worth more than he gets credit for. Quickly becoming one of my favourite players.

edit: He's averaging 1.5 hits/game, exactly the same as that other 'soft' player: Simmonds....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Last edited by Larry44: 02-16-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Curufinwe

I like the idea of having Kimmo sign for $3.5m after Pronger goes on LTIR. He could even wait and sign in January to give his body a rest. Didn't Niedermayer do that one year?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 05:46 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I like the idea of having Kimmo sign for $3.5m after Pronger goes on LTIR. He could even wait and sign in January to give his body a rest. Didn't Niedermayer do that one year?
I said this a few days ago. I think it could be a really good move that allows us to upgrade the defense and still keep kimmo. That could give us 3 really solid pairings.

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-Free Agent
Gus-Schenn

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Jtown

Why all this criticism of Raffl. He has been great for us all year and has matt read potential.

He has to be extended. I would do something like 3 years at 7 mill.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 06:57 PM
Flukeshot
Hextall Activate!

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
Is the OP living in 2000? No need to spend all of that on aging over the hill players.

Let our young corp grow together for ****s sake. This team is still a year or two away from competing, but the best way to get there is to let the guys we have grow into their roles on this team and build that chemistry up.
I'm not necessarily recommending these all, I'm just throwing it out there for debate. Sounds like Boyle would be a yes if he could be had at that price.

Iggy is redundant but tempting to me.

Any adjustments to contracts that would make them more desirable?

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 07:34 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Boyle for 2-3 years would be my top target. Girardi would be 2nd target

But --- health pending --- what about Joni Pitkanen? Also a UFA. If he's cleared, he's only 30 now. Would you offer him a year or two and see if he can still play after these bad injuries?

Also Niskanen, Belov, Nikitin are decent options, and I'd love Orpik if we needed another Defensive minded dman. I also wouldn't mind Snider/Holmgren/Hextall extending an offer to Nykulin and/or Medvedev, and drafting/signing Nikita Tryamkin.

Might be Russian overloard for Ed 2014 is certainly not void of defensive talent though, just no true #1 guys available.

Boyle - Coburn
Grossmann - Nikitin
Schenn - Gustafsson

Last edited by sobrien: 02-16-2014 at 07:42 PM.
sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 09:59 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Boyle for 2-3 years would be my top target. Girardi would be 2nd target

But --- health pending --- what about Joni Pitkanen? Also a UFA. If he's cleared, he's only 30 now. Would you offer him a year or two and see if he can still play after these bad injuries?

Also Niskanen, Belov, Nikitin are decent options, and I'd love Orpik if we needed another Defensive minded dman. I also wouldn't mind Snider/Holmgren/Hextall extending an offer to Nykulin and/or Medvedev, and drafting/signing Nikita Tryamkin.

Might be Russian overloard for Ed 2014 is certainly not void of defensive talent though, just no true #1 guys available.

Boyle - Coburn
Grossmann - Nikitin
Schenn - Gustafsson
Striet is here to stay, at least for a few more years. If there's an odd man out I would say it's Grossmann and it should be.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Boyle's favorite team growing up was the Flyers, maybe he'd take a discount? Lol.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 10:12 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Striet is here to stay, at least for a few more years. If there's an odd man out I would say it's Grossmann and it should be.
I think replacing Grossmann with Nikitin would be really good for this defense. Grossmanns lack of speed has been our biggest weakspot defensively and nikitin is a good skater. Nikitin also moves the puck better than Grossmann from what I have seen in the olympics. I would be really happy to have him for around the same money as Grossmann.

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2014, 11:13 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Honestly forgot about him, and I agree with you about him over Grossmann

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:39 AM
BringBackStevens

Trading Raffl would be very stupid. Our depth at forward (meaning guys on cheap contracts that can be slotted into the lineup) are sparse.

Our 4th line without him (and hall) is a weakness. Injuries to our top 9 compound that issue.

This team needs more Raffl and less Rinaldo. Raffl is cheap, defensively aware, has offensive ability, can pk, and slot anywhere in the lineup and get the job done. Flyers need more of these prototypes not less.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:42 AM
BringBackStevens

Also, those ufa options blow.

Goalie is not a wise investment in light of Mason's deal
Heatley is a hack and a cancerous element
Boyle and Markov will sign albatross contacts for their age
Iginla on that contract would be fine but is unlikely to happen

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 07:44 AM
Curufinwe

Three years is too long for Boyle. I'd offer him 2 years at $6m AAV max, and that's assuming he's fully healthy after the playoffs.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:11 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'd be interested in Boyle and Heatly on one-two year deals, Boyle under $6, Heatly under $4. Problem is I can see both of them getting more than that on the open market (or a potentially longer deal in Heatly's case).

The rest of the OP is a big fat no.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote