HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is everybody ready for an overpayment?

Old
02-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Oilerz

vCash: 500
Is everybody ready for an overpayment?

Interesting side note in the "hot" trade rumor yesterday regarding Pitkanen; the inclusion of some salary in the form of One Derian Hatcher. I think that in itself lent credibility to the rumor, even tho it turned out to be a no-go.
I, for one, think Lowe will be a buyer soon and are we as fans ready for the overpayment of a PMD-man and possibility of some salary in the form of another player?

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:45 AM
koeltrain

Where's the link to the article?

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Walsher

I don't hate taking on salary, but overpaying by way of roster players would be bad. To me the Oilers don't have any blue chip prospects anyway so to me any of the prospects are expendable. BUT, if they start moving offensive players or team leaders such as Stoll for a mid-range d-man I am against that. To be honest that is why I believed the Philly rumor as well, Lupul + for Pitkanen would be a steal for the Oilers. The Hatcher inclusion was not a bonus for Edmonton, but the benefit for Philly rather than Edmonton throwing in another skill player. Pitkanen is going to be that good by all accounts.

SO in conclusion, take on salary if necessary (high paid players who are struggling usually are still worth a reasonable rate and can always be waived and recalled). Trade prospects/picks if necessary as there is a stockpile of high 1st rounders, but do not overpay using players like Stoll, Horcoff, Torres, etc.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Don't think there was mention of an article/

Old
Oilerz

Quote:
No link, It was the hot thread here yesterday and has been removed.

Old
02-10-2007, 11:51 AM
koeltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
No link, It was the hot thread here yesterday and has been removed.
Oh, dammit. I read it so fast and got excited. Anything that involves Pitkanen coming to Edmonton just gets me tingling

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
I don't hate taking on salary, but overpaying by way of roster players would be bad. To me the Oilers don't have any blue chip prospects anyway so to me any of the prospects are expendable. BUT, if they start moving offensive players or team leaders such as Stoll for a mid-range d-man I am against that. To be honest that is why I believed the Philly rumor as well, Lupul + for Pitkanen would be a steal for the Oilers. The Hatcher inclusion was not a bonus for Edmonton, but the benefit for Philly rather than Edmonton throwing in another skill player. Pitkanen is going to be that good by all accounts.

SO in conclusion, take on salary if necessary (high paid players who are struggling usually are still worth a reasonable rate and can always be waived and recalled). Trade prospects/picks if necessary as there is a stockpile of high 1st rounders, but do not overpay using players like Stoll, Horcoff, Torres, etc.
And with the cap, overpayments can take the shape a new form - taking on salary to accomodate the other team. I'm sure Philly would gladly give the Oilers Pitkanen for a lessor offensive player if the Oilers agree to take hatcher of their hands. This would allow the Flyers to re-stock in the summer time (Briere, Gomez, etc). So in essense, an overpayment by the Oilers could also mean taking on salary in the form of an expensive pylon.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:08 PM
The Polak*

I hate the proposed offer of lupul+ for pitkanen, hatcher. We lose one of our most promising forwards and we say bye to smyth for another "promising" player (he's not having a great year either) in pitkanen and the lumbering dinosaur hatcher.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:12 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
An overpayment like Eric Belanger for Vitali Vishnevski?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Oilerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
An overpayment like Eric Belanger for Vitali Vishnevski?
Is it confirmed yet?

Old
02-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
And with the cap, overpayments can take the shape a new form - taking on salary to accomodate the other team. I'm sure Philly would gladly give the Oilers Pitkanen for a lessor offensive player if the Oilers agree to take hatcher of their hands. This would allow the Flyers to re-stock in the summer time (Briere, Gomez, etc). So in essense, an overpayment by the Oilers could also mean taking on salary in the form of an expensive pylon.
There are already several expensive pilons on the team - why not another. That said, Hatcher stinks at this point no doubt. BUT, he was a horse in this league and I don't think the new NHL has past him by totally - given the right situaiton I think he would perform at an acceptable level. The Philly team doesn't help neither does the high skill, high speed Eastern Conference. How times have changes, now the West is the lock-down defensive conference. Maybe this is where Hatcher will succeed at an acceptable level.

Additionally, you are going to need to add a decent d-man in the offseason anyway at a couple million for the worst possible UFA. I know Hatcher is more than that cost, but if you are also receiving a blue chip stud that will be a #1 for cheap by way of return and cheap by way of entry level contract, is that extra mil or so on Hatcher worth it? I say it is based on the other options and based on the inability of the Oilers to sign on the open market. Also adds cup experience, toughness, size, and presence, all of which the Oilers lack to epic proportions. I want to end by saying I have always hated Hatcher, any 6'5 d-man who gets run over by Marchant that many times is a goof, but to me I would rather take on an extra mil of salary than potentially throw away a player Stoll etc. My thoughts.

Old
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
jadeddog

im going to go on record (again) and state that there is no way in hell that philly trades pitkanen.... especially with his trade value at an all time low

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
im going to go on record (again) and state that there is no way in hell that philly trades pitkanen.... especially with his trade value at an all time low

Stranger things have happened.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Stranger things have happened.
without question.... im just playing the odds here

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:30 PM
guzzy

Quote:
There isn't an article. It is some bored kid who once saw the team barber in a parking lot as he drove by. This gave him some "credible" source and now he is bored and making up stupid proposals on Oilfans.com. The most unfortunate thing is that many oiler fans enabled this kid by believing it and posting it on every forum.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:

discussion was locked down as being crap

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old