HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Is everybody ready for an overpayment?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2007, 11:43 AM
  #1
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Is everybody ready for an overpayment?

Interesting side note in the "hot" trade rumor yesterday regarding Pitkanen; the inclusion of some salary in the form of One Derian Hatcher. I think that in itself lent credibility to the rumor, even tho it turned out to be a no-go.
I, for one, think Lowe will be a buyer soon and are we as fans ready for the overpayment of a PMD-man and possibility of some salary in the form of another player?

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:45 AM
  #2
koeltrain
Registered User
 
koeltrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Where's the link to the article?

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
  #3
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
I don't hate taking on salary, but overpaying by way of roster players would be bad. To me the Oilers don't have any blue chip prospects anyway so to me any of the prospects are expendable. BUT, if they start moving offensive players or team leaders such as Stoll for a mid-range d-man I am against that. To be honest that is why I believed the Philly rumor as well, Lupul + for Pitkanen would be a steal for the Oilers. The Hatcher inclusion was not a bonus for Edmonton, but the benefit for Philly rather than Edmonton throwing in another skill player. Pitkanen is going to be that good by all accounts.

SO in conclusion, take on salary if necessary (high paid players who are struggling usually are still worth a reasonable rate and can always be waived and recalled). Trade prospects/picks if necessary as there is a stockpile of high 1st rounders, but do not overpay using players like Stoll, Horcoff, Torres, etc.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
  #4
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Where's the link to the article?
Don't think there was mention of an article/

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
  #5
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Where's the link to the article?
No link, It was the hot thread here yesterday and has been removed.

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:51 AM
  #6
koeltrain
Registered User
 
koeltrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
No link, It was the hot thread here yesterday and has been removed.
Oh, dammit. I read it so fast and got excited. Anything that involves Pitkanen coming to Edmonton just gets me tingling

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 11:55 AM
  #7
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
I don't hate taking on salary, but overpaying by way of roster players would be bad. To me the Oilers don't have any blue chip prospects anyway so to me any of the prospects are expendable. BUT, if they start moving offensive players or team leaders such as Stoll for a mid-range d-man I am against that. To be honest that is why I believed the Philly rumor as well, Lupul + for Pitkanen would be a steal for the Oilers. The Hatcher inclusion was not a bonus for Edmonton, but the benefit for Philly rather than Edmonton throwing in another skill player. Pitkanen is going to be that good by all accounts.

SO in conclusion, take on salary if necessary (high paid players who are struggling usually are still worth a reasonable rate and can always be waived and recalled). Trade prospects/picks if necessary as there is a stockpile of high 1st rounders, but do not overpay using players like Stoll, Horcoff, Torres, etc.
And with the cap, overpayments can take the shape a new form - taking on salary to accomodate the other team. I'm sure Philly would gladly give the Oilers Pitkanen for a lessor offensive player if the Oilers agree to take hatcher of their hands. This would allow the Flyers to re-stock in the summer time (Briere, Gomez, etc). So in essense, an overpayment by the Oilers could also mean taking on salary in the form of an expensive pylon.

Yanner39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:08 PM
  #8
The Polak*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,023
vCash: 500
I hate the proposed offer of lupul+ for pitkanen, hatcher. We lose one of our most promising forwards and we say bye to smyth for another "promising" player (he's not having a great year either) in pitkanen and the lumbering dinosaur hatcher.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:12 PM
  #9
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,212
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
An overpayment like Eric Belanger for Vitali Vishnevski?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:15 PM
  #10
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
An overpayment like Eric Belanger for Vitali Vishnevski?
Is it confirmed yet?

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:17 PM
  #11
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanner39 View Post
And with the cap, overpayments can take the shape a new form - taking on salary to accomodate the other team. I'm sure Philly would gladly give the Oilers Pitkanen for a lessor offensive player if the Oilers agree to take hatcher of their hands. This would allow the Flyers to re-stock in the summer time (Briere, Gomez, etc). So in essense, an overpayment by the Oilers could also mean taking on salary in the form of an expensive pylon.
There are already several expensive pilons on the team - why not another. That said, Hatcher stinks at this point no doubt. BUT, he was a horse in this league and I don't think the new NHL has past him by totally - given the right situaiton I think he would perform at an acceptable level. The Philly team doesn't help neither does the high skill, high speed Eastern Conference. How times have changes, now the West is the lock-down defensive conference. Maybe this is where Hatcher will succeed at an acceptable level.

Additionally, you are going to need to add a decent d-man in the offseason anyway at a couple million for the worst possible UFA. I know Hatcher is more than that cost, but if you are also receiving a blue chip stud that will be a #1 for cheap by way of return and cheap by way of entry level contract, is that extra mil or so on Hatcher worth it? I say it is based on the other options and based on the inability of the Oilers to sign on the open market. Also adds cup experience, toughness, size, and presence, all of which the Oilers lack to epic proportions. I want to end by saying I have always hated Hatcher, any 6'5 d-man who gets run over by Marchant that many times is a goof, but to me I would rather take on an extra mil of salary than potentially throw away a player Stoll etc. My thoughts.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:30 PM
  #12
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
im going to go on record (again) and state that there is no way in hell that philly trades pitkanen.... especially with his trade value at an all time low

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 12:31 PM
  #13
Walsher
Registered User
 
Walsher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
im going to go on record (again) and state that there is no way in hell that philly trades pitkanen.... especially with his trade value at an all time low

Stranger things have happened.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
  #14
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Stranger things have happened.
without question.... im just playing the odds here

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 01:30 PM
  #15
guzzy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Where's the link to the article?
There isn't an article. It is some bored kid who once saw the team barber in a parking lot as he drove by. This gave him some "credible" source and now he is bored and making up stupid proposals on Oilfans.com. The most unfortunate thing is that many oiler fans enabled this kid by believing it and posting it on every forum.

guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:37 PM
  #16
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,411
vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by koeltrain View Post
Where's the link to the article?

discussion was locked down as being crap

__________________
not sure how--but the fish just jumped in the boat and put the hook in it's mouth
52299/14814
The twenty year rebuild is on!!! Embrace the suck
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:38 PM
  #17
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,411
vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerz View Post
Is it confirmed yet?
yep

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.