HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gdt: Blackhawks @ Oilers 02/09/07

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2007, 12:20 PM
  #176
smythfan
Registered User
 
smythfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
I didn't get a chance to post in this thread during the game last night since my hubby was on the computer while I was watching, but it sure seems like I didn't miss much. ha!

Anyways we needed these 2 points last night in a bad way. I thought most of the guys played a good game. Someone needs to buy Steve Staios a medal for saving that goal......

So thats two in a row for me on the GDT! I feel a good roll coming on.

Lets go Buffalo, Atlanta and Carolina tonight. If all three could somehow win tonight that would keep us only 7 points out of first and with a win for us tomorrow night could send us out on this road trip firing on all cylinders. I am going to the game here in Boston on Tuesday night and I am so pumped. The Bruins suck SO bad so we better win.

smythfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:17 PM
  #177
Backhand
Registered User
 
Backhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hockey Heaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smythfan View Post
I didn't get a chance to post in this thread during the game last night since my hubby was on the computer while I was watching, but it sure seems like I didn't miss much. ha!

Anyways we needed these 2 points last night in a bad way. I thought most of the guys played a good game. Someone needs to buy Steve Staios a medal for saving that goal......

So thats two in a row for me on the GDT! I feel a good roll coming on.

Lets go Buffalo, Atlanta and Carolina tonight. If all three could somehow win tonight that would keep us only 7 points out of first and with a win for us tomorrow night could send us out on this road trip firing on all cylinders. I am going to the game here in Boston on Tuesday night and I am so pumped. The Bruins suck SO bad so we better win.
While your there take some city of edmonton pamphlets and stuff them in Stuart's pocket.

Backhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 02:53 PM
  #178
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,462
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
WOW... The Oilers manage to somehow overcome the handicap of having the pitiful Toby Petersen in their lineup, with each player playing completely above themselves in order to compensate for that bum Petersen, and they pull out a win!!

Get real. Anyone who criticizes Petersen for a bad game tonight is just being stubborn. Accept it, the guy helps the team out. Enough Said.
This game he did nothing to help the team, he was weak on the forecheck, weak in his own zone and it seemed like he went to his knees everytime he was trying to rush the puck.

He does help being a responsible body on the PK, but the total lack of ability in the rest of his game is hurting the team and guys like Lupul and Sykora who are forced to play with him.

If he was playing 4 to 8 mins on the 4th line and kill the occational penalty that would be fine, but he's being used as a 3rd line player and he's over his head. And because he's over his head he causes hit line mates to suffer.

I think Toby had all of 2 shifts in the 3rd period and he was not missed in anyway. After Nedved and Pouliot preformances last night, there is not way you can justify still having Toby in the line up.

Pouliot - Has more ability and his responsible enough defensively to play all of Petersen's PK minutes.

Nedved - Has more offensive creativity and, though he may not be quite as good defensively as Petersen (I believe he's just as good, but regardless), he could more effectively fill the 3rd spot currently occupied Petersen. If Nedved did get this ice time, Lupul and Sykora's games would each improve.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:00 PM
  #179
smythfan
Registered User
 
smythfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Country: United States
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OF4E View Post
While your there take some city of edmonton pamphlets and stuff them in Stuart's pocket.
lol! I will do what i can!

smythfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 03:17 PM
  #180
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This game he did nothing to help the team, he was weak on the forecheck, weak in his own zone and it seemed like he went to his knees everytime he was trying to rush the puck.

He does help being a responsible body on the PK, but the total lack of ability in the rest of his game is hurting the team and guys like Lupul and Sykora who are forced to play with him.

If he was playing 4 to 8 mins on the 4th line and kill the occational penalty that would be fine, but he's being used as a 3rd line player and he's over his head. And because he's over his head he causes hit line mates to suffer.

I think Toby had all of 2 shifts in the 3rd period and he was not missed in anyway. After Nedved and Pouliot preformances last night, there is not way you can justify still having Toby in the line up.

Pouliot - Has more ability and his responsible enough defensively to play all of Petersen's PK minutes.

Nedved - Has more offensive creativity and, though he may not be quite as good defensively as Petersen (I believe he's just as good, but regardless), he could more effectively fill the 3rd spot currently occupied Petersen. If Nedved did get this ice time, Lupul and Sykora's games would each improve.
Its a lose-lose situation for Petersen when its comes to you. You got your wish last night. He only played 12 minutes, which included 0 minutes on the PP. I find it hypocritical how you can praise Nedved for doing little things right when he is not doing anything on the scoresheet, yet blast Petersen for it. Nedved played 9 minutes last night, which included more 5 on 5 and PP time than Petersen had, so he got a better chance than Petersen last night to be scoring. If he couldnt come close to producing while playing 17-18 minutes with Hemsky and Sykora, do you really think getting 3 more minutes of Petersens icetime playing with 2 struggling players is going to help? Nedved had his chance taking stoll's spot on the "2nd line" right after Stoll was injured, and guess what? Their is a reason he was bumped down to the 4th line last night. Its pointless to argue it, because no matter what Toby Petersen ever does, it will always come under scrutiny from you.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:45 PM
  #181
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
Its a lose-lose situation for Petersen when its comes to you. You got your wish last night. He only played 12 minutes, which included 0 minutes on the PP. I find it hypocritical how you can praise Nedved for doing little things right when he is not doing anything on the scoresheet, yet blast Petersen for it. Nedved played 9 minutes last night, which included more 5 on 5 and PP time than Petersen had, so he got a better chance than Petersen last night to be scoring. If he couldnt come close to producing while playing 17-18 minutes with Hemsky and Sykora, do you really think getting 3 more minutes of Petersens icetime playing with 2 struggling players is going to help? Nedved had his chance taking stoll's spot on the "2nd line" right after Stoll was injured, and guess what? Their is a reason he was bumped down to the 4th line last night. Its pointless to argue it, because no matter what Toby Petersen ever does, it will always come under scrutiny from you.
I don't always agree with Jimmi's opinion of players (bergeron) but I agree with him here. Whenever Toby is on the ice, he is just kind of there. He doesn't really do a lot and has no offensive game to speak of. Also for a defensive forward, he sure doesn't check very well. I counted at least 3 times last night where a Hawk just went around him.

He has experience and isn't bad as a 13/14th forward, but at this point I think Pouliot, Nedved, and even Winchester should dress before him. I have actually really liked Nedved's game. He has been fine physically, pretty good in his own end and has some offensive skills.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:48 PM
  #182
Oilbleeder
Moderator
Lead us to glory.
 
Oilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,803
vCash: 81
I think Toby is with Lupul and Sykora to bring some defensive responsibility. Say if you put Nedved with them, its like the czech mates all over again...we really dont have another choice..

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 05:59 PM
  #183
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
I don't always agree with Jimmi's opinion of players (bergeron) but I agree with him here. Whenever Toby is on the ice, he is just kind of there. He doesn't really do a lot and has no offensive game to speak of. Also for a defensive forward, he sure doesn't check very well. I counted at least 3 times last night where a Hawk just went around him.

He has experience and isn't bad as a 13/14th forward, but at this point I think Pouliot, Nedved, and even Winchester should dress before him. I have actually really liked Nedved's game. He has been fine physically, pretty good in his own end and has some offensive skills.
Again, I don't understand how people can support Nedved while dissing Petersen. If Petersen isn't scoring (which he isnt on the roster to do), people complain that he is useless and contributes nothing else to the team (which is false), but when the guy who was brought in for 1 reason, which was to be a 1-dimensional offensive player (Nedved) isn't scoring, then everyone finds the little things on the ice he may be doing, and uses these things to validify him being in the lineup. This makes zero sense to me, but I understand it is because we all have our favorites on the team, and players who we just don't like. I would definately not say that Petersen is a "favorite" of mine, but I feel that someone has to defend him from the crap he takes from some people here. If you want to blame someone for losses, then find someone who has a significantly higher role on the team.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:10 PM
  #184
Hemskyfanboy83
Registered User
 
Hemskyfanboy83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 6,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
Again, I don't understand how people can support Nedved while dissing Petersen. If Petersen isn't scoring (which he isnt on the roster to do), people complain that he is useless and contributes nothing else to the team (which is false), but when the guy who was brought in for 1 reason, which was to be a 1-dimensional offensive player (Nedved) isn't scoring, then everyone finds the little things on the ice he may be doing, and uses these things to validify him being in the lineup. This makes zero sense to me, but I understand it is because we all have our favorites on the team, and players who we just don't like. I would definately not say that Petersen is a "favorite" of mine, but I feel that someone has to defend him from the crap he takes from some people here. If you want to blame someone for losses, then find someone who has a significantly higher role on the team.
What are these little things that Peterson does well? To me he just always looks lost out there. Nedved has created and had chances on a fairly consistant basis. The same can't be said for Peterson

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:34 PM
  #185
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
I have a feeling that any statements of what Petersen does well will be discounted by his naysayers, but maybe I'm just a cynic.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 06:40 PM
  #186
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
What are these little things that Peterson does well? To me he just always looks lost out there. Nedved has created and had chances on a fairly consistant basis. The same can't be said for Peterson
Petersen has created chances as well. People that don't like him just choose not to notice them, or ignore them. Again, people are making excuses for Nedved not doing what he is supposed to, because "hes creating chances", and "its only a matter of time now before they start going in", and crap like that. If these people weren't wearing the Petersen hate-goggles, they would be making the same arguements in defence of Petersen. If Petersen was on the team to do what Nedved was brought in for, then I would be joining along with you and questioning why Petersen was playing the minutes he is etc.....

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
  #187
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Ho-hum... another game where Petersen plays without being on the ice for a goal against.

That's 1 goal against in 5 games, 3 in 13, and he's been playing some pretty decent minutes too.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:54 PM
  #188
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
Again, I don't understand how people can support Nedved while dissing Petersen. If Petersen isn't scoring (which he isnt on the roster to do), people complain that he is useless and contributes nothing else to the team (which is false), but when the guy who was brought in for 1 reason, which was to be a 1-dimensional offensive player (Nedved) isn't scoring, then everyone finds the little things on the ice he may be doing, and uses these things to validify him being in the lineup. This makes zero sense to me, but I understand it is because we all have our favorites on the team, and players who we just don't like. I would definately not say that Petersen is a "favorite" of mine, but I feel that someone has to defend him from the crap he takes from some people here. If you want to blame someone for losses, then find someone who has a significantly higher role on the team.

I'll admit, I'm one who has a hate-on for Toby. I don't complain about his lack of scoring.. I complain about his lack of small things he's not very capable of doing either. Doing the small things, Toby is a 50/50 type player, half the time he does a great job.. and others he blows. I was very happy to not see him on the PP for once, put a slight smile on my face. Seeing him on the pk was tolerable. To me, it doesn't matter if he has a good game or even makes a good play, I just really don't like him. Seeing him in the warm-up even picks my @**. He's one of 'em Pittis type players that just drive me nuts. They're cheaper than a dime a dozen. I'm serious when I say there's nothing Toby can do that can change my mind. I laughed my a** off when he had that breakaway and decided to do an extra Toby dangle only to lose control. I expected something like that from him anyways. I know this is ignorant of me to speak of my buddy that way, but that's how I feel. I apologize to all who actually finds a way to grin and bare this type of player.. I also credit you, you're a much *nicer* person than I am.. I deserve the criticism as well for all who take offense to what I have said. What can I say, I love to hate this player.. and I don't do it because "others" do the same, I do it because his presence annoys me.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 07:58 PM
  #189
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
What breakaway?

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:00 PM
  #190
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
What breakaway?

perhaps not a full fledge b/away, but it was **** close.. if it wasn't for his special play at the end, he may have gotten one on one with the goalie. If I can find a link that will show it, I will be more than happy.. or if somebody else can even.

edit:

Gone to the L-store to buy some happy pop.


Last edited by Vagabond: 02-10-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:10 PM
  #191
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
perhaps not a full flege b/away, but it was **** close.. if it wasn't for his special play at the end, he may have gotten one on one with the goalie. If I can find a link that will show it, I will be more than happy.. or if somebody else even.
Are you talking about the 1 on 1 with Seabrooke in the 3rd period where he made a move, lost the puck for a bit, then curled back and fed Staios for the one-timer?

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:11 PM
  #192
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I'll admit, I'm one who has a hate-on for Toby. I don't complain about his lack of scoring.. I complain about his lack of small things he's not very capable of doing either. Doing the small things, Toby is a 50/50 type player, half the time he does a great job.. and others he blows. I was very happy to not see him on the PP for once, put a slight smile on my face. Seeing him on the pk was tolerable. To me, it doesn't matter if he has a good game or even makes a good play, I just really don't like him. Seeing him in the warm-up even picks my @**. He's one of 'em Pittis type players that just drive me nuts. They're cheaper than a dime a dozen. I'm serious when I say there's nothing Toby can do that can change my mind. I laughed my a** off when he had that breakaway and decided to do an extra Toby dangle only to lose control. I expected something like that from him anyways. I know this is ignorant of me to speak of my buddy that way, but that's how I feel. I apologize to all who actually finds a way to grin and bare this type of player.. I also credit you, you're a much *nicer* person than I am.. I deserve the criticism as well for all who take offense to what I have said. What can I say, I love to hate this player.. and I don't do it because "others" do the same, I do it because his presence annoys me.
Fair enough. At least you can admit this is the case, unlike some. I feel the same way about Nedved to a much lesser degree (I think he is useless, but will he's in the lineup, I still cheer him and hope that he succeeds), and many many people feel the same about Bergeron. Some people sitting by me at Rexall will start getting on Bergerons case as early as the pre-game warmups when he misses a shot. Their is no way that they will ever change their mind about him, so what can you do? Let them be I guess.

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:20 PM
  #193
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Are you talking about the 1 on 1 with Seabrooke in the 3rd period where he made a move, lost the puck for a bit, then curled back and fed Staios for the one-timer?
No, there was a play in the game where Nedved was able to create some space on a nice outlet pass and get a shot on net. I believe Khabibulin made a leg save with his right pad.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:34 PM
  #194
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Are you talking about the 1 on 1 with Seabrooke in the 3rd period where he made a move, lost the puck for a bit, then curled back and fed Staios for the one-timer?
That might have been the one, but my judgement was clouded with the Toby hate I had goin' on and cannot recall..

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2007, 08:39 PM
  #195
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,118
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerfan_55 View Post
Fair enough. At least you can admit this is the case, unlike some. I feel the same way about Nedved to a much lesser degree (I think he is useless, but will he's in the lineup, I still cheer him and hope that he succeeds), and many many people feel the same about Bergeron. Some people sitting by me at Rexall will start getting on Bergerons case as early as the pre-game warmups when he misses a shot. Their is no way that they will ever change their mind about him, so what can you do? Let them be I guess.

Yeah, I think everybody has a player that they hate seeing out their on the roster. For me, its just one.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.