Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Slightly off topic

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 04:13 PM
GoM

vCash: 500
Slightly off topic

I'm a casual fan of SM-Liiga, don't really know anything, but look to follow it as much as I can...however, 99% of the sites I know of aren't in English, and being a Canadian..I don't know Finnish. So I have several questions

1. Other than http://www.eurohockey.net/, are there any SM-Liiga fan sites?

2. Does anybody know of any basic Finnish lesson sites? Just to learn the basics, I actually have wanted to learn a 'European' language for awhile now, and seeing how I'm an SM-Liiga fan..well..makes sense to try and learn Finnish, even if it is a couple basic words.

3. Thanks for the above two

Old
12-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
1. www.sm-liiga.fi - SM-liigas official site, in finnish though... www.jatkoaika.com The icehockey bible for Finns, in finnish though...

2. I just bought audiotapes in Japanese and Egyptian arabic so I think it shouldn't be to hard to find audiotapes in finnish.

Old
12-22-2003, 12:14 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM

2. Does anybody know of any basic Finnish lesson sites? Just to learn the basics, I actually have wanted to learn a 'European' language for awhile now, and seeing how I'm an SM-Liiga fan..well..makes sense to try and learn Finnish, even if it is a couple basic words.
This might help. Go to some SM-Liiga site. IMO SM-Liiga's site is a good start. Then open another browser and go to this address. You'll find a english-finnish-english online translator there. It doesn't help you pronouncing finnish but at least you'll learn what some words mean and how are they spelled.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:36 AM
miklu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
Try this one: http://virtual.finland.fi/speak/speak.html

Old
12-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Raimo Sillanpää

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoM
I'm a casual fan of SM-Liiga, don't really know anything, but look to follow it as much as I can...however, 99% of the sites I know of aren't in English, and being a Canadian..I don't know Finnish. So I have several questions

1. Other than http://www.eurohockey.net/, are there any SM-Liiga fan sites?

3. Thanks for the above two

European languages are generally like cross-breed dogs. Everything copied from each other and solidly based upon old greek and latin..
See German-Dutch-Danish-Swedish-Norwegian for example, same root
Practically eveyr word in the English dictionary has a note saying "orig. Latin xxx"

And then you have Finnish..
Which isn't based upon anything really and thus the purest language in Europe along with Basque..
Though neither are "European" languages in that neither group (Finns/Basques) not being European originally.. Finns being Finno-Ugric and Basques not being European because they were in Europe (get this) BEFORE the indo-European tribes moved into Europe!

Generally I'd recommend you try and learn Swedish or German or something, German's the most spoken language in Europe, you'd get the biggest benefit in wrok-life in the US if you can speak German (with European trading partners) and German/Swedish beign far easier to learn..

If, however, you want to learn Finnish, and be a member of the secret elite Finnish Global Secret Society of Superior Persons then you can study Finnish and be able to speak with 5 million other people..

A great benefit of this language is that you can swear explicitly at anybody in any country bar Finland and they don't have a clue.. if they happen to be Finnish they'll just laugh and say the world's a small place and buy you as beer.. mm.. free beer..

First try your local library etc, for any sort of book on Finnish for a start, take a look at it, read it, see if you like it, feel like you can devote the time and effort to learn it..(it's very HARD)

Then go and check your bookstore and places like Amazon for Finnish teaching books.. then pick one and then scour the web for finnish links. Once you start learnign some words and phrases start reading finnish websites daily, it's a hard language and requires a lot of effort to master it. Then save up for a trip to finland..

Or, become a mormon, and ask them to teach you Finnish.. just the other day some Mormon from Iowa stopped me in a street in Helsinki and spoke to me in Finnish.. pretty good Finnish I must say, he was preaching to deaf ears, but they sure know how to teach a language!

Old
12-23-2003, 07:34 AM
GoM

Thank you for the substantial little guide thingy

I've always had a fascination for languages (or the ones school doesn't make you learn ) so I figured, with me being a light fan of SM-Liiga and wanting to get into it...may as well learn Finnish....we'll see once I go a bit more in-depth if I truly have the dedication or not, but yeha, thanks

Old
12-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Thought this might interest you...

If you want to learn about finnish culture and people in a humorous way this place is the place to go...

Old
01-21-2004, 09:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
2. I just bought audiotapes in Japanese and Egyptian arabic so I think it shouldn't be to hard to find audiotapes in finnish.
Sorry, this was a dead thread....what were you thinking? And do you even listen to them?

Old
01-22-2004, 05:48 PM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Sorry, this was a dead thread....what were you thinking? And do you even listen to them?
I got them cheap, like a couple of bucks a piece. It is interesting. In a couple of weeks I hope to be able to have conversations in both languages. I am a language geek...

Old
01-23-2004, 11:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I got them cheap, like a couple of bucks a piece. It is interesting. In a couple of weeks I hope to be able to have conversations in both languages. I am a language geek...
i wish to speak spanish and finnish fluently

can you teach me?

you must speak many a language. Any plans to be Sweden's ambassador to the UN?

Old
01-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
i wish to speak spanish and finnish fluently

can you teach me?

you must speak many a language. Any plans to be Sweden's ambassador to the UN?
I speak spanish too

No I won't teach you...

Right now I speak swedish, finnish, spanish and english with a little bit of japanese and egyptian arabic. I am also going to take courses in German(I speak a little of german already), Italian and French.

And I can't become Sweden's ambassador to the UN as I am a Finnish citizen...

Old
01-26-2004, 03:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Right now I speak swedish, finnish, spanish and english with a little bit of japanese and egyptian arabic. I am also going to take courses in German(I speak a little of german already), Italian and French.

its bad enough speaking one language...

Last edited by GKJ: 01-26-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old
02-01-2004, 12:37 AM
kjrfi

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Though neither are "European" languages in that neither group (Finns/Basques) not being European originally.. Finns being Finno-Ugric and Basques not being European because they were in Europe (get this) BEFORE the indo-European tribes moved into Europe!

I can't understand your logic Raimo. If finnish and basque languages were spoken in Europe earlier than indo-european languages, how come they are not "european" languages, but indo-european languages are?

Old
02-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrfi
I can't understand your logic Raimo. If finnish and basque languages were spoken in Europe earlier than indo-european languages, how come they are not "european" languages, but indo-european languages are?
Since they are not part of the european culture spectra as one cannot talk about something called european culture and languageculture before the indoeuropean languages came to europe.

Old
02-01-2004, 07:48 PM
kjrfi

vCash:
Quote:
Since they are not part of the european culture spectra as one cannot talk about something called european culture and languageculture before the indoeuropean languages came to europe.
Naah.. of course they are part of european culture.

Anyway, i guess this is a subject to some other forum.

Last edited by kjrfi: 02-01-2004 at 08:20 PM.

Old
02-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrfi
Naah.. of course they are part of european culture.

Anyway, i guess this is a subject to some other forum.
Well since our ancestors probably were here from the second the iceage ceased, they lived in a culture that by today's measures can't be called a culture And then you have the other people coming in just around the time one can start talking about things like culture in ways of living, art, language that is especially used by people from different places. Thus because "we" weren't part of the mainstream culture (our stoneage cultured differed a lot from the culture of other "europeans", we suddenly aren't european culturewise

Closed Thread