HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Used goalie gear

Old
01-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Exarz

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Exarz
Used goalie gear

I've been thinking of fulfilling my young dream becoming a hockey goalie, even though it'd be in some kind of beer league or such.

I played a bit of goalie when I was younger, but I didn't make it as one of the three goalies when we started with "real positions" (I was the 4th choise,
), I became a winger/d-man and played for a couple of years.

For about two years, I've really felt that the urge of playing hockey is coming back, and I thought of finally becomming a goalie. I've played a bit for fun with loaned gear, and I'd be a decent goalie in some kind of low-based league, but the thing that hesitates me is the price of senior goalie gear.. Approximately how much would a full used goalie gear with helmet, pads etc. cost?

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 01-20-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: language
Exarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarz View Post
I've been thinking of fulfilling my young dream becoming a hockey goalie, even though it'd be in some kind of beer league or such.

I played a bit of goalie when I was younger, but I didn't make it as one of the three goalies when we started with "real positions" (I was the 4th choise, ), I became a winger/d-man and played for a couple of years.

For about two years, I've really felt that the urge of playing hockey is coming back, and I thought of finally becomming a goalie. I've played a bit for fun with loaned gear, and I'd be a decent goalie in some kind of low-based league, but the thing that hesitates me is the price of senior goalie gear.. Approximately how much would a full used goalie gear with helmet, pads etc. cost?
Full set, anywhere from ill say 450-1500. Depending on how new and what line/Brand name ETC..

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 01-20-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: quote
Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 06:18 PM
JoeCool16

vCash: 500
You should browse Craigslist and see if there's anything in your price range, but yeah, I agree it'll be around 450+. You'll definitely see deals cheaper (at least I do), but those are usually for old stuff from the 80s/90s that looks very worn.

I'd consider getting a new helmet/jock though! You'll want both of those fitting like a glove and brand new, even if the rest of your gear is second hand.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 09:57 PM
Beezeral

Gotta go new on the helmet.

Also, I'd go new on skates, but that's just my preference. Everything else, you can buy used.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Exarz

Most of the prices i found here in Sweden are around 230 dollars for the pads, 100 dollars for the glove and blockers for the same price as as the glove. Are those good prices? The stuff looks like it's max. 3 years old.

Old
01-21-2014, 03:41 AM
Exarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Gotta go new on the helmet.

Also, I'd go new on skates, but that's just my preference. Everything else, you can buy used.
Can you get any new skates for around 150-200 dollars?

Old
01-21-2014, 03:49 AM
manictech

I've seen some good deals on combos at goaliemonkey.com or you could try hockeytron....

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Can you get any new skates for around 150-200 dollars?
Yes. I got goalie skates for around 200 dollars, normally 500.

I would go with a new mask as well. Shouldn't run more than 150-200. You want that to be a safe mask. Also, other person's sweat might give you rashes. It does to me from time to time.

I bought the cheapest goalie gear (all new, called Sonic) and it cost me over 1000 Canadian dollars.

At a used goalie store you should be able to get good, solid pads for about 300ish. Blocker and trapper for probably 150ish combined, if not less.

I posted a link to goaliemonkey to save 15%. I don't think it counts on clearance, but you can try. Shipping across the water could be very expensive. The code is NEWYEARS15 (iirc)

Get a good hockey bag. Mine ripped to crap on it's own after barely any use.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 06:23 PM
Hand of Gaudreau
Gaudreaubey Baker

Quote:
Most of the prices i found here in Sweden are around 230 dollars for the pads, 100 dollars for the glove and blockers for the same price as as the glove. Are those good prices? The stuff looks like it's max. 3 years old.
It's extremely important to find out what quality the equipment is before deciding if the price is good, as pads can range from $400 to $1600 brand new based on whether they are Pro, SR, or Rec level of equipment. So if you find rec or SR pads for $230 that are 3 years old, chances are the padding in them is dead, or as good as dead, and will not give you very good protection, whereas if they were pro pads new, and are 3 years old, chances are, if they were taken care of, that they are still good pads, and will give you good protection, and comfortability for years to come, if you care for them properly.

Proper care is the most important thing with gauging the longevity of goalie equipment. Message me if you'd like more info on the subject. (I play goal at a high level and sell goalie equipment new and used for work.)

Hand of Gaudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 07:23 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
I would go with a new mask as well. Shouldn't run more than 150-200. You want that to be a safe mask.
Ice or roller? not many masks that will take an ice hockey puck from an adult well for $150-200?

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 08:47 AM
pelts35.com

If you aren't willing/able to spend $600 on a mask and jock you should reconsider your decision to play goal.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 10:12 AM
goonx

As others have said, get a good and new mask. Your "brain" is in there which is a pretty important part.

New jock because.... a used one is just really nasty....

You should also wash the used stuff as well before wearing it. There has to be some professional equipment cleaners somewhere.

Otherwise, if it fits you then used equipment isn't that big of an issue. You might consider new skates as well because old ones are broken in at the wrong places for your own feet.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2014, 01:11 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
If you aren't willing/able to spend $600 on a mask and jock you should reconsider your decision to play goal.
Weird. My mask that I got on the super cheap has lasted me 5 years and up.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence Of The Plams View Post
Weird. My mask that I got on the super cheap has lasted me 5 years and up.
What level do you play and how many times have you been dinged in the head?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 05:28 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
What level do you play and how many times have you been dinged in the head?
Listen to him. Honestly I wish I had the money to get a better mask than a Reebok 7k. I have probably gotten one or two minor concussions in it that a higher end better fitting mask would've prevented. Seriously, you are going to get hit in the head a lot as a goalie, even at low level beer league. Cheap out on everything else except the helmet.

ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 07:27 PM
MattGTI

As a side note to getting a good mask(helmet)- we have a goalie in our league(lower level/beer league), who wears a cheap helmet/cage combo(it's basically a Reebok 5k helmet/cage forward combo). It's odd to me that the league even allows him to wear the setup(I'm honestly clueless about our league rules on goalie gear), but collectively our team hates shooting on him. Even though none of us are that good, nobody wants to be the one to hurt this guy. I know there are a few ways to look at this from both sides, but still, it stinks for us to feel like we can't truly shoot on him.

With anything- I suggest getting the best quality equipment you can afford. I'm not a goalie, but protecting my noggin would be a top priority.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote