HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2014 NHL Draft Discussion, Suck for Sam or Play Bad For Ekblad?

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2014, 04:49 PM
Blurt Vision

vCash: 500
Liked this story when I read it.

Nov 20, 2012

Sure, they might have some talent, but the best athletes don’t get to where they are without hard work. Ryan Van Stralen is proof.

A 6-foot-3 power forward with a blistering shot and a nose for the net, the Ottawa 67’s winger would be hard to miss on the ice even if he wasn’t an elite player. But heading into the first weekend of November, the Prescott native was on a roll, picking up three points in four games since returning from a shoulder injury.

Obviously this is a little (a lot of) puffery but he's out there and allegedly he's a hard worker.

Has anybody watched him play?

Old
02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
watch the Flyers select him.. it wouldnt shock me.. Rangers should draft these type of forwards.
I agree. Time to get some size and nastiness out of our drafts.

Cooper has a great frame, 6' 3", 205 lbs. Could fill out 10 more maybe. Hits real hard, is responsible, great fighter. Definitely pretty high on him.

"It's going to be a zoo no matter what, Staalmania, Staals everywhre, omg Staal on Staal action, three brothers hockeying! Staal returning to Carolina omg what news! All the feels he is feel..." - Ail on Eric Staal's return to Carolina.
Old
02-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurt Vision View Post

Nov 20, 2012

Sure, they might have some talent, but the best athletes donít get to where they are without hard work. Ryan Van Stralen is proof.

A 6-foot-3 power forward with a blistering shot and a nose for the net, the Ottawa 67ís winger would be hard to miss on the ice even if he wasnít an elite player. But heading into the first weekend of November, the Prescott native was on a roll, picking up three points in four games since returning from a shoulder injury.

Obviously this is a little (a lot of) puffery but he's out there and allegedly he's a hard worker.

I haven't seen him, but I'm not impressed at all with his numbers. 39 points in the OHL as a 6' 3" 20 year old is not good.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:10 PM
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter

I know I keep beating a dead horse with this guy, but does anyone know about or like goaltender Luka Gracnar? Has impressive stats in Austria and is representing Slovenia in the Olympics.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=41381

Old
02-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter

If we are looking at any overagers, I'd consider Colby Cave.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=84424

Old
02-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurt Vision View Post

Nov 20, 2012

Sure, they might have some talent, but the best athletes donít get to where they are without hard work. Ryan Van Stralen is proof.

A 6-foot-3 power forward with a blistering shot and a nose for the net, the Ottawa 67ís winger would be hard to miss on the ice even if he wasnít an elite player. But heading into the first weekend of November, the Prescott native was on a roll, picking up three points in four games since returning from a shoulder injury.

i havent seen much of him, but Rangers outside of Kreider they dont have much power forwards.. i love seeing a lot of teams able to draft these type except the Rangers although i feel bad for the Canes, Ruutu for Ladd

Old
02-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Dane Fox sucks, anyway.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Hunter Gathers
No one deserves . .

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
If we are looking at any overagers, I'd consider Colby Cave.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=84424
Why? He's worth an AHL contract, maybe. I wouldn't waste a NHL contract on him.

Old
02-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Joey Bones
Gorilla Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Why? He's worth an AHL contract, maybe. I wouldn't waste a NHL contract on him.
Agreed. Definitely worth a shot. I'm sure someone will draft him though.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:08 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

It looks like the drop off between the 12-15th picks is going to be massive. Reinhart and Ekblad are cementing themselves as the consensus top 2. Bennett, Draisaitl, and Dal Colle will round out the top 5. The third tier is made up of Ritchie, Perlini, Fleury, Nylander, McCann, Ehlers, and Kapanen. Someone will gamble on Honka before #15. Unless the Rangers trade up, they'll be on the outside looking in on the big gamers.

Where the Rangers are standing right now, David Pastrnak, Alex Tuch, or Roland McKeown would be my pick.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:12 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
It looks like the drop off between the 12-15th picks is going to be massive. Reinhart and Ekblad are cementing themselves as the consensus top 2. Bennett, Draisaitl, and Dal Colle will round out the top 5. The third tier is made up of Ritchie, Perlini, Fleury, Nylander, McCann, Ehlers, and Kapanen. Someone will gamble on Honka before #15. Unless the Rangers trade up, they'll be on the outside looking in on the big gamers.

Where the Rangers are standing right now, David Pastrnak, Alex Tuch, or Roland McKeown would be my pick.
I think this seems logical. I like what I've read about Sonny Milano too.

02-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Ehlers has made amazing progress. Will be shocked if he doesn't go top 10.

I might be tempted to go with Ho-Sang or Barbashev if we draft around 20.

What do you guys think of potential 2nd round picks? I like Alexis Vanier, and Jack Dougherty as potentials.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:21 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Sonny Milano has top line offensive potential and could fall.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:30 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I think there's an off-chance that the Rangers could roll the dice on DeAngelo. He's the type of defender who could really flourish in an attacking system. Scherbak and Goldobin are also very skilled players up front. However, I think Tuch really looks like a Rangers' pick. Character kid coming out of the USNTDP. It'll be interesting to see if the drafting strategy changes this year with a new system in place.

Edit: I just read about DeAngelo getting smacked with an 8 game suspension for violating the league's harassment/abuse/diversity policy. Count him out as a first round selection.

Last edited by Trxjw: 02-17-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old
02-17-2014, 08:31 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I think this seems logical. I like what I've read about Sonny Milano too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Sonny Milano has top line offensive potential and could fall.
Tuch and Milano are both BC recruits. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see the Rangers take him if they're picking in the 20's. Right now they stand at 17th, that would be too soon for Milano. He can be had anywhere from 25-40, IMO. I don't know much about him other than that he's fast and has good puck skills, anyone have more info on him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Ehlers has made amazing progress. Will be shocked if he doesn't go top 10.

I might be tempted to go with Ho-Sang or Barbashev if we draft around 20.

What do you guys think of potential 2nd round picks? I like Alexis Vanier, and Jack Dougherty as potentials.
Ehlers will go right where he should, right around 10-14. His size will scare the top 10 teams off. Someone has to take Fleury. Edmonton can use a guy like him in the worst way; Ekblad would be even better. I think Ritchie, Perlini, and Fleury all go before Ehlers. 9th overall or so isn't out of the question.

Agree on Dougherty. Keep drafting Americans in the 2nd round. A guy like Jack Glover may fall right into our laps, as well. Another guy to look out for is Brayden Point, small at 5'9", but very skilled, putting up good points on a bad Moose Jaw team.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:32 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Fleury and Nylander are incredibly risky picks so high in the draft.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:40 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Fleury and Nylander are incredibly risky picks so high in the draft.
Agree on Nylander, disagree on Fleury. Fleury is actually one of the safest picks in the 1st round. His frame and reach make him a guaranteed NHL'er. The debate is whether he'll become a top 3 shutdown D a la Marc Staal, or a bottom pairing journeyman.

Someone will gamble on Nylander early because of the name. The fact that a line made up of two 18 year olds has had dominant stretches of play in the third best league in the world speaks volumes. Ever since Nylander switched teams and played on a line with Pastrnak, the two have been magic to watch according to reports.

Old
02-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Agree on Nylander, disagree on Fleury. Fleury is actually one of the safest picks in the 1st round. His frame and reach make him a guaranteed NHL'er. The debate is whether he'll become a top 3 shutdown D a la Marc Staal, or a bottom pairing journeyman.

Someone will gamble on Nylander early because of the name. The fact that a line made up of two 18 year olds has had dominant stretches of play in the third best league in the world speaks volumes. Ever since Nylander switched teams and played on a line with Pastrnak, the two have been magic to watch according to reports.
Oh **** me, it's early. I meant Nylander and Kapanen. Getting bad with the former-NHLer-names here.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:50 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think there's an off-chance that the Rangers could roll the dice on DeAngelo. He's the type of defender who could really flourish in an attacking system. Scherbak and Goldobin are also very skilled players up front. However, I think Tuch really looks like a Rangers' pick. Character kid coming out of the USNTDP. It'll be interesting to see if the drafting strategy changes this year with a new system in place.

Edit: I just read about DeAngelo getting smacked with an 8 game suspension for violating the league's harassment/abuse/diversity policy. Count him out as a first round selection.
How is Tuch's skating ? I would not at all be opposed to another big forward with speed.

Old
02-17-2014, 11:58 AM
Let Blaine Die
ONE PUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!

How is Nick Schmaltz looking?

Old
02-17-2014, 12:06 PM
slipknottin

Am I the only one who is really interested in Anton Karlsson?

Old
02-17-2014, 12:15 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

What about someone like Adrian Kempe, Dylan Larkin, or Conner Bleackley?

Old
02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Raspewtin
Xanny family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

Also his defense is absolutely horrendous from what I've read and the little I saw. I don't think the Rangers would go for his type anyway.

I think Honka would be a more likely choice if the Rangers want a high upside OFD.

Old
02-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Am I the only one who is really interested in Anton Karlsson?
He's one of the guys I know least about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangers1472 View Post
What about someone like Adrian Kempe, Dylan Larkin, or Conner Bleackley?
Kempe, Larkin, Bleackley for me.

Kempe's playmaking separates him for me.

Larkin has pro size already and plays up to it, headed to Michigan.

Bleackley plays a good overall game and is not too far away from playing the pro game.

I wouldn't mind either one where weĺl be picking(if we still have our first).

Old
02-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
How is Tuch's skating ? I would not at all be opposed to another big forward with speed.
It's above average for a guy his size. He's not a speedster, but his ability to accelerate and change direction is a plus trait, IMO. He's also a monster around the net and along the boards.

Closed Thread