HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sober thought

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2004, 05:59 AM
  #26
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
ya, they suck. Playoff bound, but they suck. Nashville is an amazingly strong team that is good defensively. They don't suck. They are a good squad.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:05 AM
  #27
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
ya, they suck. Playoff bound, but they suck. Nashville is an amazingly strong team that is good defensively. They don't suck. They are a good squad.
And what are their chances of winning the Stanley Cup? more than 100-1 ya think?

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:09 AM
  #28
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Even worse then that. But if you think only the 5-6 teams with any real hope of making the playoffs are the only ones that don't "suck" then there is ALOT of brutal teams in this league. I guess it depends how you measure it. If Nashvill sucks, then the Oilers are jokes. And if the Oilers are jokes - I'm not sure what you'd call the Hawks.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:10 AM
  #29
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Even worse then that. But if you think only the 5-6 teams with any real hope of making the playoffs are the only ones that don't "suck" then there is ALOT of brutal teams in this league. I guess it depends how you measure it. If Nashvill sucks, then the Oilers are jokes. And if the Oilers are jokes - I'm not sure what you'd call the Hawks.
What about the Pens. They lost 10 in a row.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:15 AM
  #30
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Take a look at last years club compared to now. Our players up front are MUCH MUCH Better as all we've lost is Comrie Carter yet we've added Dvorak, Torres, Isbister. Dvorak>Comrie, Torres/Isbister=>Carter. Plus Hemsky, who hasn't played great, yet will still give us more points then we got last year.
Don't forget about Marchant, who not only got 60 points for us last year but was our best PKer and faceoff man. Sure he's a 3rd liner on a good team, but last year he was a valuable player for this team that has NOT been replaced.

Compound that with the problem of his supposed replacement (Reasoner) being injured for most of the year, himself a valued PKer as well, and another center. Then Comrie leaves, with nothing tangible in return as yet. Stoll has done fairly well for a rookie, but he's more been a replacement for Reasoner due to the latter's knee injury.

That is a GIGANTIC hole at the most important position of the forward lines, and the replacements? More wingers and what looks to be a washed up former star who's playing out the string for one last paycheck.

Hemsky will likely exceed his point totals from last year, but IMO he's taken a step back in his overall game this year. Part of it is having a revolving door of linemates, but part also is that teams have seen him a couple of times now, he's going through what Comrie went through last year...the dipsey doodles and fancy passes aren't fooling as many people now.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't meant to be a slam against the players we received...I like all of them, even Isbister who looks to at least be using his body to his advantage more, even though his stats don't reflect a big renaissance. The problem we have is the exact same problem fans were worrying about in October: Too may wingers, not enough centers. Here we are in February now, and NOTHING has changed.

And barring a surprising showing from Pouliot and/or Niinimaki...I don't see this dearth at center getting any rosier next season either, assuming there is a season.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:20 AM
  #31
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
ya, my point wasn't the bad breaks/luck we've had in who has been hurt and who's replaced who, more of a showing that this team at 100% is about equal with last years team at 100%.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:38 AM
  #32
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Don't forget about Marchant, who not only got 60 points for us last year but was our best PKer and faceoff man. Sure he's a 3rd liner on a good team, but last year he was a valuable player for this team that has NOT been replaced.

Compound that with the problem of his supposed replacement (Reasoner) being injured for most of the year, himself a valued PKer as well, and another center. Then Comrie leaves, with nothing tangible in return as yet. Stoll has done fairly well for a rookie, but he's more been a replacement for Reasoner due to the latter's knee injury.

That is a GIGANTIC hole at the most important position of the forward lines, and the replacements? More wingers and what looks to be a washed up former star who's playing out the string for one last paycheck.

Hemsky will likely exceed his point totals from last year, but IMO he's taken a step back in his overall game this year. Part of it is having a revolving door of linemates, but part also is that teams have seen him a couple of times now, he's going through what Comrie went through last year...the dipsey doodles and fancy passes aren't fooling as many people now.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't meant to be a slam against the players we received...I like all of them, even Isbister who looks to at least be using his body to his advantage more, even though his stats don't reflect a big renaissance. The problem we have is the exact same problem fans were worrying about in October: Too may wingers, not enough centers. Here we are in February now, and NOTHING has changed.

And barring a surprising showing from Pouliot and/or Niinimaki...I don't see this dearth at center getting any rosier next season either, assuming there is a season.
If KL had known Comrie wouldn't sign and Reasoner would suffer a serious injury crashing into the boards at the ACC to avoid an icing, I'm pretty sure he would have tried to sign Marchant.

Narnia is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:45 AM
  #33
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
If KL had known Comrie wouldn't sign and Reasoner would suffer a serious injury crashing into the boards at the ACC to avoid an icing, I'm pretty sure he would have tried to sign Marchant.
*WHOOSH*

That sound was my point going directly over your head.

I never said I had a problem with the Oilers losing Marchant...it would've been foolish to pay him the money he would want.

The problem I have is that he has NOT been replaced with anything resembling adequate at either end of the ice. Our 28th ranked PK and 30th ranked PP are a testament to that. Stoll might be able to do it, but he's far too young to expect it yet.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:50 AM
  #34
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
*WHOOSH*

That sound was my point going directly over your head.

I never said I had a problem with the Oilers losing Marchant...it would've been foolish to pay him the money he would want.

The problem I have is that he has NOT been replaced with anything resembling adequate at either end of the ice. Our 28th ranked PK and 30th ranked PP are a testament to that. Stoll might be able to do it, but he's far too young to expect it yet.
I should have been more clear. Reasoner was supposed to replace Marchant but Reasoner go injured so Stoll eventually replaced Reasoner. Basically Stoll is rushed into a role sooner than the Oilers wanted. What I meant is if the Oilers had known that Comrie didn't want to reamain in Edmonton and Reasoner would get seriously injured, they might have tried to sign Marchant and Oates probably wouldn't be here.

Narnia is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 06:58 AM
  #35
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
yep, if healthy the Oilers are fine up the middle. Stoll has played really good, as good as can possibly be expected. If Reasoner is healthy there isn't any talk about Marchant. If Comrie isn't a t!t then the only thing we do when talk about Marchant ending up in Columbus is laugh!

thome_26 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 07:04 AM
  #36
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
I should have been more clear. Reasoner was supposed to replace Marchant but Reasoner go injured so Stoll eventually replaced Reasoner. Basically Stoll is rushed into a role sooner than the Oilers wanted.
Uh, isn't that exactly what I just said?

I get your point...but even if Lowe had the powers of Nostrodamus and could see that Comrie would leave for prospects and Reasoner would tear up his knee, could he have afforded to sign Marchant at the salary he would've wanted? I still think he would've been better suited to deal from his depth at wing to obtain a center.

Problem is, that deal is yet to occur. Even if it happens now, it's almost certainly too late to save this season.

Digger12 is offline  
Old
02-02-2004, 07:38 AM
  #37
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Registered User
 
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: E-town
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,646
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Even worse then that. But if you think only the 5-6 teams with any real hope of making the playoffs are the only ones that don't "suck" then there is ALOT of brutal teams in this league. I guess it depends how you measure it. If Nashvill sucks, then the Oilers are jokes. And if the Oilers are jokes - I'm not sure what you'd call the Hawks.
The Oilers are a joke right now, and Chicago's an AHL team spare for a few players. Same with Pittsburgh. There are probably about 10-12 teams in the league I'd deem as not at least slightly sucking. Hahaha, this is funny

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.