HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mitch Holmberg

Old
02-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Lindo

vCash: 500
One thing that could be interesting to note is that the Oilers hired Bob Green last August as their Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting, and with his work as Oil Kings GM I'm sure he saw Holmberg once or twice. If Bob thinks it might be worthwhile to sign him, then maybe there's something there?

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 11:55 AM
caley

The biggest thing working in Mitch Holmberg's favour is the Tyler Johnson connection. Holmberg plays for the same team as Johnson (Whom, once upon a time, was also an undersized WHL scorer who was passed over in two drafts), was briefly a teammate of Johnson's, who has put up very similar point-total progressions in his career as Johnson. Johnson's emergence this year as a ROTY candidate means that a few NHL teams will be looking for similar finds this summer, and Holmberg fits the Johnson blueprint better than most.

02-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He's less than a month from being 21 and he's 5'10" and 175lbs. is he strong on his skates? Super fast? If the answer to those questions are no, then a big meh from me.
/thread

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:16 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Signing him would not hurt, I think Corbett should be signed imo.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

I'd definitely sign him. He'd be worth it just to try and infuse some offense into the Barons this year and next, and if things work out then who knows what he can become.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 05:21 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
/thread
Except he is actually a good skater. Worst case is he provides some depth scoring for OKC

02-17-2014, 05:36 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Except he is actually a good skater. Worst case is he provides some depth scoring for OKC
Not saying he is a poor player but I am saying we have guys like him already that we seem to be wanting to get rid of. Gagner being the first guy and Arco being the second. Omark and Rajala being guys that never would have made it here. Moving Rieder for a bigger body. As much as Arco has been a nice story, I have to think he'll get moved with the plethora of centres available this summer.

This kid is another small skilled guy that will be nothing more than an AHL filler, which, if that's your objective, is fine. I just don't see the purpose of continually pursuing these small skilled guys, at least for this club unless it's as a filler on the farm, as you suggested.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:01 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Sorry to throw some logic in peoples faces but with 48 contracts the Oilers aren't going to sign any undersized skilled fringe players to NHL contracts right now. I think the sole reason Stauffer mentions the kid is that he's from Edmonton, not for any Oilers based reason.

At the most, he could get a look in the off season after the Oilers shed some AHL and ECHL players. If I'm making a wager, it's that the most he gets offered by the Oilers is an AHL only contract for next season and a "let's see how you do".

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:15 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Sorry to throw some logic in peoples faces but with 48 contracts the Oilers aren't going to sign any undersized skilled fringe players to NHL contracts right now. I think the sole reason Stauffer mentions the kid is that he's from Edmonton, not for any Oilers based reason.

At the most, he could get a look in the off season after the Oilers shed some AHL and ECHL players. If I'm making a wager, it's that the most he gets offered by the Oilers is an AHL only contract for next season and a "let's see how you do".
If he were signed, the contract would begin next season.

He would sign a PTO to play with OKC for the remainder of this season after his WHL season ended.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:57 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Not saying he is a poor player but I am saying we have guys like him already that we seem to be wanting to get rid of. Gagner being the first guy and Arco being the second. Omark and Rajala being guys that never would have made it here. Moving Rieder for a bigger body. As much as Arco has been a nice story, I have to think he'll get moved with the plethora of centres available this summer.

This kid is another small skilled guy that will be nothing more than an AHL filler, which, if that's your objective, is fine. I just don't see the purpose of continually pursuing these small skilled guys, at least for this club unless it's as a filler on the farm, as you suggested.

Quote:

I would much rather have this type of guy, who is unknown but could potentially turn out like the next Tyler Johnston or Conarcher, over a guy like Hamilton, who is a big body, but a bust.

I dont think this guy will be more than an AHL player, but even at that, if he can boost the offense of the Barons, thats great for other prospects, more specifically the D prospects.

If this ever does turn out to be a potential NHL player, and we have no place for him, we can also trade him for another asset, whether it be a 3rd round pick, prospect with size, or even NHL player. Conarcher got returned Bishop last season.

Im still not totally sure why Rajala went back to the SEL, I still feel he has NHL potential, even if its not on the Oilers

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:35 PM
ElFossum

if hes avail when we have more contract space I dont see how signing depth scoring hurts. it's not like he just started scoring, he's got great numbers since he was 18. Whats wrong with depth scoring in OKC? If July rolls around and he's avail there is no harm.

ElFossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:38 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Except its not like he just started scoring. He was just under a PPG at 18 (3rd on his team in scoring). Last year he was well over a PPG, and a close 2nd in scoring (in fewer games).
Just my opinion, that makes it worse for me. The alternative would be that he just broke out now and is giving scouts something to think about. But if he's been scoring at a decent rate for 3 years now, I have to think there's a reason he keeps getting overlooked.

I haven't seen the kid play, and I have no problem if we do sign him to an ahl tryout... but I'm not optimistic it will lead anywhere.

notloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Iceonfire

Quote:

There will be more roster turnover this summer for sure. There will be enough contracts to use one on him.

Steve Mac- Gone, Grebeshkov-Gone, Fedun will leave, Miller has been mediocre..doubt he gets a QO, Bachman may stay, Lander will get dealt or head to Europe, Hemsky traded, Smyth possibly traded, Eager-Gone, Nick Schultz-Gone, Potter-?.

Chase, Yakimov, Slepyshev etc get ELCs.

More than enough contracts to sign him.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:20 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
There will be more roster turnover this summer for sure. There will be enough contracts to use one on him.

Steve Mac- Gone, Grebeshkov-Gone, Fedun will leave, Miller has been mediocre..doubt he gets a QO, Bachman may stay, Lander will get dealt or head to Europe, Hemsky traded, Smyth possibly traded, Eager-Gone, Nick Schultz-Gone, Potter-?.

I agree that there will be a big roster turn over (of minor leaguers and bottom liners), but I really hope Fedun and Lander arent lost in the shuffle

Fedun has been great in the AHL and showed well in his NHL stint. I really want him to get a shot in the NHL sometime this season. There is no way he will want to stay with the Oilers if he has to play in the AHL next season and battle with Klefbom/Nurse/Davidson etc etc for NHL call up duties.

Lander has been playing extremely good in his AHL stint (ppg player through 36 games). I want to try him at 2c for a bit (couldnt hurt with this season lost) to see what hes good. Up until now hes been playing between brutal linemates, but Id love to see him with some skilled guys.

I hope Fedun, Arcobello and Lander get 7-10 game stints in the NHL in the final stretch. Dont want to lose them without knowing forsure what we have

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:33 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Signing him would not hurt, I think Corbett should be signed imo.
Minnesota?

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:38 AM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Minnesota?
Went to their camp only, never got a contract with them.

BarDownBobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 01:39 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Went to their camp only, never got a contract with them.
Ah!

But, uh...

How have we not jumped all over him yet?

ohheyhemsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:27 AM
joestevens29

I'd sign him to an AHL deal. We see this time and time again. 20 year olds doing well in Junior hockey that never turn out. Why hasn't anyone signed him to date? It's not like he just came out of nowhere this year. He's slowly increased his production each year

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 08:33 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
If he were signed, the contract would begin next season.

He would sign a PTO to play with OKC for the remainder of this season after his WHL season ended.
While this is very true I still find it funny that people want to waste a contract on an unknown who's a real longshot. Yet everytime there is some sort of proven NHLer available on waivers or a deal that requires us to get two contracts for one, people get their panties in a knot and complain that we have too many contracts.

Old
02-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post

He has one more year on his Russian deal.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
One thing that could be interesting to note is that the Oilers hired Bob Green last August as their Director of Amateur Free Agent Scouting, and with his work as Oil Kings GM I'm sure he saw Holmberg once or twice. If Bob thinks it might be worthwhile to sign him, then maybe there's something there?
Considering Bob Green is married to Mitch Holmberg's mom... yeah, I'd say he's familiar with him.

Someone will sign Holmberg, he's earned the opportunity at the AHL level. If it's the Oilers, some will claim nepotism but I think that it would be unfair. Holmberg is a talented player in his own right.

02-19-2014, 03:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Considering Bob Green is married to Mitch Holmberg's mom... yeah, I'd say he's familiar with him.

Someone will sign Holmberg, he's earned the opportunity at the AHL level. If it's the Oilers, some will claim nepotism but I think that it would be unfair. Holmberg is a talented player in his own right.
You know if you would've never said anything no one would've knew the relation.

Old
02-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post

You'd have to think with that relation they would have a strong edge in signing. I know people love to give the 'too many small wingers' but if they have talent then having them in the system is a plus. I would consider it a strong signing.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 03:39 PM
40oz

Ha! Well so much for that. It's a shame though because the Oilers (more specifically the Barons) could use some of Holmberg's skill.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2014, 04:05 PM
voxel

I'm all for signing positive trajectory players that have earned a spot into higher leagues. Oilers don't cut their deadweight quick enough (see Plante, Chorney, JFJ, etc.)

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote